Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: OnePlus 2 invites...want one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2015, 11:22 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: OnePlus 2 invites...want one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
Updates are only good when you want them. In your case, it was a plus for you. AT&T would constantly push updates to my phone. I could decline them but it would eventually do it anyways. I needed to make a phone call one day and it was temporarily locked due to an update from the carrier. Too much control over my phone.

With the oneplus, I can control what I want my apps to access. You'd be surprised of what apps can access on your phone.
Well I too avoided updates because sometimes it would make my old device slower or buggy so I totally get that - but I never thought they were Mandatory with a Capitol M. I just drank the coolaid regardless and eventually trusted and gained from them.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Very interesting phone deal thanks Chicklett, I've had severl Android phones and not going back, fawk Google and the carriers with all the bloatware that I couldn't uninstall or freeze unless rooted, don't even get me started on the access to my data on my phone that was required by all apps! This is why I went iPhone, they just work, everybody gets same updates at same time you don't end up with a phone that never gets updated and that nobody wants in six months. The sync of iTunes to get pics back onto my phones is a pita, it should be optional, I want to drag and drop files from pc to iPhone...can't. I can drag files from iPhone to pc, but must use pita sync to go the other direction....wtf Apple?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

The bloat comes from the carrier, not Google. Same for PCs, bloat comes from the manufacturer, not Microsoft.

In Android 5 you can also freeze bloatware from running straight out of the box, no rooting required. First thing I did was go through and turn off all the crap Verizon put on. Followed up with Amazon, NFL, and a few other things Samsung put on.

Myself, I don't run any of the "free" apps. Those are the ones that use ad's to track. If I don't like the permissions list I, don't use it. Take most flash light apps (not needed in Android 5 and up, now standard Android feature. Same for iPhone's) why would they need access to contacts, location and camera, because they are nosy sobs and selling the info the collect. Just don't use the app.

I hated when Apple yanked the ability to add stuff to iPhones like a flash drive. All the crap needed to sync photos is stupid.

Last edited by BUBBA069; 10-28-2015 at 11:43 AM.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Very interesting phone deal thanks Chicklet
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
In Android 5 you can also freeze bloatware from running straight out of the box, no rooting required. First thing I did was go through and turn off all the crap Verizon put on. Followed up with Amazon, NFL, and a few other things Samsung put on.
Freeze it all you want, its still run at start up until the Freeze API is loaded so you lose RAM and still installed losing Drive space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
Take most flash light apps (not needed in Android 5 and up, now standard Android feature. Same for iPhone's) why would they need access to contacts, location and camera, because they are nosy sobs and selling the info the collect.
This is incorrect, the reason it needs Contacts, Location, and Camera is because those API's (underlying programming calls) need to use those sections phone to turn on the actual flash LED, which is being used as a flashlight. This isn't just an LED waiting for a switch, the switch is all done in programs.

Did they include too much, yes Google has admitted their API's are too expansive and have slowly begun making them smaller to help with permissions.

Quote:
I hated when Apple yanked the ability to add stuff to iPhones like a flash drive. All the crap needed to sync photos is stupid.
I sync to the iCloud so thats easy and my home computer is a Mac which makes the entire interface night and day different. Why do PC's suck, well because they are inherently very insecure, a feature Apple doesn't want to deal with.

However I still use my iPhone as a flash drive. Just plug in and browse to it using Windows 7 or newer or Mac OS X.

Last edited by binaryterror; 10-28-2015 at 12:01 PM.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Freeze it all you want, its still run at start up until the Freeze API is loaded so you lose RAM and still installed losing Drive space.
Force stop it, uninstall any updates, and disable it via App Manager and it does not run. The remnant files are few kb for the base APK installer.

Quote:
This is incorrect, the reason it needs Contacts, Location, and Camera is because those API's (underlying programming calls) need to use those sections phone to turn on the actual flash LED, which is being used as a flashlight. This isn't just an LED waiting for a switch, the switch is all done in programs.
Camera I get, but contancts? location? either way, mute point anymore because they are not needed. Both iOS and Android have them as part of the OS now. No need for the 3rd party apps.

Quote:
Did they include too much, yes Google has admitted their API's are too expansive and have slowly begun making them smaller to help with permissions.
Yup.

Quote:
I sync to the iCloud so thats easy and my home computer is a Mac which makes the entire interface night and day different.
Contact/audio/video sync is ok via iTunes, but why the HELL do images need to be pulled off the phone, then pushed back via iTunes. Just let them cut/paste. and pushing everything to the cloud to just be downloaded again is both annoying and a waste of data plan.

Quote:
Why do PC's suck, well because they are inherently very insecure, a feature Apple doesn't want to deal with.
PC's don't suck, stupid people doing stupid stuff suck. And Mac's are not super secure either, hell they fall quickest in hacking competitions.

Quote:
However I still use my iPhone as a flash drive. Just plug in and browse to it using Windows 7 or newer or Mac OS X.
last time I tried I couldn't push data to the phone via explorer, only pull.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote

OnePlus 2 invites...want one? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open invites Docwolf Kansas 1 11-20-2012 03:18 PM
Nats invites wrightcs77 Minnesota 15 07-16-2009 08:45 AM
Invites have been sent! jason RC Rock Crawling Worlds 101 07-25-2007 03:09 PM
invites? MGS511 RC Rock Crawling Worlds 8 04-08-2007 05:48 AM