Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anyone have an idea what this is?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Anyone have an idea what this is?

I was helping a friend troubleshoot something on his car and found this. I think it was placed by the car dealership not sure though. Anyone run into this before?
Attached Images

phishead1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Anyone have an idea what this is?

A GPS Vehicle Tracking System similar to this?

New Goldstar Talon S3000 s GPS Vehicle Tracking System Spireon | eBay
ncycorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It looks like the gps tracker that my company installed on all of the service vans.
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Coral Crawler

It's called Big Brother. That's his left testicle by the way.
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

GPS installed by a Buy Here / Pay Here Bad Credit Approval place.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Coral Crawler

In car "Black Box" type of equipment. I know people that think the insurance plug in box is so cool and drops their rates a bit along with all the new connectivity equipment on vehicles now, but with all things that intrude on our privacy it will bite them in the butt one day. As with most things government related/mandated, so called "To help you out" or "Make things easier" or more connected, the time will come when people all of a sudden realize the actual intrusiveness of it but it will be too late to complain. First it's the GPS for your map or Onstar help, directions, roadside emergancy etc. Then insurance companies say "Just to help safe drivers with their rates", then well, you had that accident and our info from your black box says you where going above the speed limit and didn't apply brakes in time so it's your fault without actually being a witness to what actually happened etc. Now police departments in some areas are allowed access to your info without your knowledge and can track your movements along with traffic camera license plate readers and if they want can create a profile on where you go/frequent. Already happening here.

Cars can now be remotely shut down, listened in on etc. like I said above people won't start to complain or care because of the benefits you do get with complete connectivity until they get a ticket in the mail after their car remotely reports their speed to the police dept, and insurance company. Speed can and probably to some extent be controlled in the near future along with other car functions. They are already working on taxing drivers by the mile (NC already) which will be accessed/downloaded from your car. When will they say you are driving too much and not taking more fuel/POLLUTION efficient routes and fine you if you don't adhere to their guidelines. Will this technology affect at home engine modifications (based on emission control, fuel consumption)?

Whatever "they" deam as unsafe or bad for you (in reality meaning more control/power/$$$ to them, whoever "them" is at the time) they will take away or control. I know that sounds tin foil on the head conspiracy theorists, but I'm old enough to know how it all starts and where it's going. I was in the smoking section on an international flight back in the mid 80's when the talk of no smoking, second hand is bad for others started. At first they said just on international flights, then long domestic flights, then no flights at all. Now, even though it's not illegal you can't smoke in your own home in some places let alone nearly anywhere in public anymore although some states now you can smoke weed with no worries or stigma attached like nasty smokers lol (I quit a long time ago).

Do the benefits out way the loss of privacy/freedom? You tell me. I complain but use and love my gadgets so I'm in the sheeple herd too. How do we find a balance or let alone the public opinion be heard and listened too by those above. Not that they would listen when it comes to $ and control.

Sorry about the soapbox thread derailment lol.

Last edited by beachbum; 11-24-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Phuck! Never thought that deep into it! That's nuts!
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:21 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
GPS installed by a Buy Here / Pay Here Bad Credit Approval place.
I'll bet this is dead on, those kinds of lots will put it in vehicles they sell with a loan so if you miss a payment, they kill the car the next time you try to start it until pay up.

If your friend bought it at one of those places, I wonder what they would/could do to you if you removed it from the vehicle before it was paid off
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Somebody's tinfoil is a bit tight...

Yes odds are that is a gps unit. Unless there are more than 3 wires hooked up to it all it can do is transmit location. We have some trick units on our semi trucks that not only give location but they map your distance driven in each state so our quarterly mileage reports are a click away from done. They run diagnostics in real time too since they are tied in with the engine computer.

Our units have the ability to shut the truck down if need be and to zoom in on the truck in real time video if we add a seperate piece to what we have. Not all technology is out to get you.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

The starter interrupt units are larger and have more wires. They also cause tons of electrical problems including killing pcms because they change voltage and restrictions in wires they are attached to. Most of it boils down to two things: unqualified installers doing quick and dirty installs, and poor design.

My professional recommendation as a mechanic: take it to a certified service center and have it removed. Where they tied it into is likely to have broken wiring which will lead to issues later down the road.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=2095155
moes670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Coral Crawler

FCC # leads to Montage Systems Montage Systems – Products, discreet vehicle tracking devices. Spireon owns the Talon model, http://www.spireon.com. New car or used? No reason to be in the vehicle unless used and left from previous owner, payment default recovery, employee work vehicle tracking. If new and not paid off then possibley for vehicle recoverery either through the sales company or in conjunction with lender? If intentionally installed by dealer either for this particular sale or on all sales, then there should be some fine print somewhere in the sales agreement stating they are informing you of such a device installed and reason. It's not OEM that works with any navigation system. If there is mention of it in print then you cannot legally remove it as the purchaser agreed to knowledge of it's existence in the vehicle. I would check all signed sales paperwork if no luck contact seller and simply state what was found and why/what reason it was installed. Record the call if possible just to have proof if they deny knowledge of said device for his own ass coverage if he doesn't reinstall it or disposes/sells it. If no paper trace or dealership denial then sell it on eBay cheap and buy a six pack to help with the next car install/project.

No, no tinfoil here. Was actually in a discussion with a local police officer I know about a week ago on the above mentioned information as well as some other related topics that led into a similar discussion as above. He hit on more broader information related to above then I delved into. We had started talking about the mileage tax now included in NC (I'm in SC but have some family in NC that originally told me about it) which most have no knowledge of until they pay their tags/taxes on their vehicle. It is very broad and vague in it's individual estimation. Discussed reasons behind it as well as the sources pushing that as well as other things coming down the pike leading into a very looong discussion in which he was on the individual citizens rights side and rights to privacy. He was very detailed in information of the now and coming tools law inforcement will have at it's disposal for surveillance and information gathering and profiling on individuals through different vehicle related means, forces behind them, political agendas behind some regulatory related issues that work in conjunction, insurance company backing and agendas behind vehicle "Spying" as he put it, equipment and just how intrusively these tools will be used.

Let's just say for sake of a longer thread discussion he sounded way more "Tinfoil Hat Man" then I was assumed to sound above. I consider myself mostly well informed on current life and history (major history buff). Obviously I nor anyone else knows all nor have I ever eluded too. I was rather in 'Individual Rights Shock' through most of the conversation though. He discussed a lot more than I had current knowledge of, which I thought was pretty decent lol. He discussed the split among law inforcement regarding the erosion of individual privacy rights, as these tools evolve and become more commonly used. Theeeeen he/we moved on to gun ownership rights lol. Looooong conversion that day lol.

I was mearly throwing out 'Food for Fodder' above to think about with all the newer vehicle technology and its many uses, both helpful and nefarious. You know, work the mind a little more than just, Hey, I say one of those the other day" or "I know what that is" and topic/discussion over. Also I was fueled a little with all the news/talk lately dealing with over political correctness lending to the future erosion of free speech as constitutionally intended etc. which is related somewhat overall to above. All the cupcake college kids whining about hurt feelings. The rights we have as citizens and their current erosion all in the so called name of protection, safety etc. So yea, I guess I sounded a little "On a rant" like lol, apologies.

I'm trying another type of hat anyway, tinfoil is too hot here at the beach lol.

Last edited by beachbum; 11-25-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448483317.679441.jpg
Views: 5624
Size:  47.1 KB

Sent from the drivers seat of scx10
b00st3d-vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
Coral Crawler

Yep GoldStar sells the Talon model. They came about in 2005 via Spireon

http://www.spireon.com/about-spireon-inc/ has the patent on the Talon
Montage has the FCC technology rights for the information transmission.

If you do end up selling it or giving it away you have to provide some sort of note of transfer/sales or something like that for the tracking provider that will be used by the new owner. You can contact Spireon directly for that exact information.

Last edited by beachbum; 11-25-2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added resale info

Anyone have an idea what this is? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Idea for anyone! RcLee Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 17 09-30-2013 08:01 AM
i have no idea... Random Username Newbie General 7 01-29-2013 08:35 AM
I have no idea solly98 Axial SCX-10 9 01-10-2013 06:47 PM
My next idea 2fknqwk Chit Chat 25 09-24-2006 06:22 PM
Idea!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Deshi Chit Chat 5 12-05-2005 09:51 AM