Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #501

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Finally got around to painting my other set of wheels and WOW did they come out awesome! Truck looks so much better now

Also got a set of Traxxas links that fit perfectly in place of the stock flimsy upper links. I'll post part numbers tomorrow if anyone wants to do the same

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Expo_cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #502
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDRIVER13 View Post

Links where already posted a few pages back. You squeeze the mounts till they closed on the links?? Their was roughly a .030" gap between the opening and the traxxas pivot balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TTDRIVER13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #503

Damn how did I not notice that? Lol my bad, no I used 3 mm washers like another user used in the front tie rods to fit. I just put 1 on each and it didn't really need to be tightened much past the normal point, the upper mounts needed to be a little tighter than the housing mounts but not much

Old 10-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #504
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expo_cam View Post
Damn how did I not notice that? Lol my bad, no I used 3 mm washers like another user used in the front tie rods to fit. I just put 1 on each and it didn't really need to be tightened much past the normal point, the upper mounts needed to be a little tighter than the housing mounts but not much

They make a hell of a difference that's for sure! Now that Losi is releasing the aluminum one i am contemplating the just to reduce some of the unsprung weight of the steel.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #505

Quote:
They make a hell of a difference that's for sure! Now that Losi is releasing the aluminum one i am contemplating the just to reduce some of the unsprung weight of the steel.

Meh, I like these and will stick with them until i see a need to get different ones. I was reading around the page you replaced your upper links with and saw that you were wanting to do a full cage like alot of the custom TT guys do, I actually reached out to a few people and so far 1 of them responded that he doesn't have the time to do a cage for these right now. It would be awesome if cynotix or w/e his name is that builds custom TTs would do something f9r these that bolts on. I also am trying to figure out a dual spare setup, what exactly did you do to help the play in your servo again? I'm running this till it dies

Old 10-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #506
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Meh, I like these and will stick with them until i see a need to get different ones. I was reading around the page you replaced your upper links with and saw that you were wanting to do a full cage like alot of the custom TT guys do, I actually reached out to a few people and so far 1 of them responded that he doesn't have the time to do a cage for these right now. It would be awesome if cynotix or w/e his name is that builds custom TTs would do something f9r these that bolts on. I also am trying to figure out a dual spare setup, what exactly did you do to help the play in your servo again? I'm running this till it dies

Yeah the cage with dual spare outback is still in the works and will be for a while, theirs a lot of work that goes into it. The steering vertical play was fixed with some new stand offs Losi sent me to reduce the play. Theirs should be a picture of old ones vs new ones somewhere in this thread. Btw great looking truck, dig the wheels!

Old 10-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #507
I wanna be Dave

i think a metal cage would just eat the body up, not allowing it to flex. plastic is cheaper to replace. fact.

and weather you shim the links or not.. it doesn't make a difference noticeable.

a dual tire mount would definitely be a cool buy.

im working on a 2wd Baja rey that could use that mount
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #508

Quote:
Yeah the cage with dual spare outback is still in the works and will be for a while, theirs a lot of work that goes into it. The steering vertical play was fixed with some new stand offs Losi sent me to reduce the play. Theirs should be a picture of old ones vs new ones somewhere in this thread. Btw great looking truck, dig the wheels!

Ya I'm not sure other than somehow making an aluminum plate that the tires can bolt to, it would be awesome to run dual lay downs or 2 stacked but ide want them to sit where the top tire would be where the stock spare is now. Did you just contact losi about the play in the steering to get the new stuff? Thanks! Ya wanted to get the aluminum robby gordon wheels but they're only in 2.2 and I didn't wanna mess with the offset and new hubs and tires. Also I talked to metal concepts rc last night and asked him about a time line on aluminum upper and lower control arms but he said the designs he's tried so far would be too expensive so there's no time line as of now. I hope he can figure something out, that would be rad plus it would make the upper arms more rigid

Old 10-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #509
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Does anyone know what length shocks fit in secondary mounting holes on the trialing? There's a guy on instagram that mounted a set of Hot Racing shocks with the fake remote resis but he said they were 140mm. The longest I've found are 120mm, but the front location fits 117mm stock, has anyone else mounted a secondary shock?
I used the stock rear shocks ( unsprung ) from my yeti as aux dampeners, works good and looks great
rcbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbasser View Post
I used the stock rear shocks ( unsprung ) from my yeti as aux dampeners, works good and looks great
That would limit the travel, the yeti shocks aren't near long enough. The stock baja rey shocks are 117mm and the yeti score shocks are 128mm, I think I measured the length needs to be in the mid 130s range on order to fit and not limit the travel. I'll measure again when I get home

Old 10-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #511
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That would limit the travel, the yeti shocks aren't near long enough. The stock baja rey shocks are 117mm and the yeti score shocks are 128mm, I think I measured the length needs to be in the mid 130s range on order to fit and not limit the travel. I'll measure again when I get home

longer ball ends, easy way to add a little extra length
rcbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #512
Pebble Pounder

With so many parts on back order guys a friendly reminder if something doesn't sound right or feel right stop immediately to check what's going on. Ring and pinions on back order till December!!!

Old 10-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #513
I wanna be Dave

Not good.....
Old 10-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #514
Quarry Creeper

Anyone else have issues with the front dog bone pin end of the universal popping out? Lost 1 today, thought the axle broke, turns out the pin came out of the dog bone, upon replacing with another I had laying around, I noticed the other side was 1/2 in 1/2 out...
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #515
RCC Addict

The only time I've ever had a dogbone throw a pin was when the end of the dogbone was cracked. Those pins are press-fit into place and shouldn't be able to come out without a huge amount of pressure.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 PM   #516
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
The only time I've ever had a dogbone throw a pin was when the end of the dogbone was cracked. Those pins are press-fit into place and shouldn't be able to come out without a huge amount of pressure.
I agree... next time you have your front end apart, feel how easy they push in and push out.... maybe I just had a bad set...
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:34 AM   #517
I wanna be Dave

that's a weird one....

but at the invite only race I was just at yesterday... I took 1st place! well, against 4 stampedes... 2 qual, 1 main.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #518

Hello everyone! I fell in love with this platform upon purchase and saw this was the most active discussion thread on it. After finishing my scale Tour Car i wanted to give a go at an off-road scale build, when this bad boy then gets announced. I'm nearly done the build, I want to make dual shocks in the front, like I did in the back, but that will take considerable modding.

Things I got so far:
F11 beadlocks with MT Baja claw TTC tires
HW 3400kv sensored motor 10t pinion
HW sct pro esc
Savox 1258TG servo
Futaba 4 channel receiver
Fast Eddy bearing set
Ess-one sound module
Proline powerstrokes front/rear with fake reservoirs
Fully custom made interior with moving driver
Fully custom made front/rear lights with working brake light controller
Optional passenger seat camera mount
Fully custom made rear gas-tank/spare holder
Various other small details
Switches for lights/sound fx
Using SMC 7200mah 3s packs. Gets me over 30 minutes of bash

Here's my recent attempt at a cab view video, just testing it with some yard bashing. Check out my channel some more to see other stuff on the truck. I'm also working on getting the rear tire holder kits produced as a sellable product.

https://youtu.be/92DThEdkuT4

I'll hopefully be contacting my favourite guy over in Atlanta for a custom body sometime soon, really make this my own
Ltzerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #519
RCC Addict

I bent an upper link today. I noticed something while bending it straight again -- there was something inside the link that was rotating as I was trying to bend the link. I don't think they're solid plastic, I think they have steel cores.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #520
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I bent an upper link today. I noticed something while bending it straight again -- there was something inside the link that was rotating as I was trying to bend the link. I don't think they're solid plastic, I think they have steel cores.

You are correct but still very weak. Either wait it out for Losi or get some traxxas links. Or make your own, what ever suits you best. It will also help with the torque steer, a lot.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM