93? 900 monster

murdered out V Max, header, 6 piston calipers

90 HD sporty, pumped 1202cc motor

Was up to 13 bikes packed in the garage at the height of my collection
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Motorcycle discussion

^ them big 2 strokes would be scary bikes. lol.

My mate just bought a yamaha xj6. They're restricted here for our licence requirements but apparently
the restriction is a mechanical one on the throttle that can easily be removed on certain year bikes.
One of the few that arent actually detuned and cant be tampered with.

Very interesting,and apparently the power increase is very substantial.
thecrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:44 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Just bought this little baby today, brand new

Not really a cruiser type guy but i'm not all that keen on sports bikes either.
I'm really liking this bike. Only put 30kms on it on the way home from the dealer.
The weathers shit here for a while, cant wait to take it out for a good ride.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:34 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

I have a quick question. I just put a new pipe(full 2 into 1) on the bike and it pops and burbles on decel. I can also get it to pop going from first to second if I shift just right. I was wondering if this is normal. From what I've read on various forums, it's normal to a point. It's not super loud like a gunshot or really constant. Just on decel from like 4k to 2.5/3k and every once in awhile if I shift real quick from first. I haven't noticed any power loss or anything abnormal aside from taking away some engine braking. I actually really like the way it rides now.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #46
RCC Addict

I didn't catch what kind of bike you have OTHG, but assuming it's carbureted, you'll need to add fuel to the pilot circuit to lessen the decel pop. A little decel pop does NOT mean that there is something wrong with your bike, but you can add a little extra fuel (more than what would be optimum for power) down low to reduce (and sometimes eliminate) the popping if it bothers you.

If it was running good prior to the new pipe(s) just count how many turns out your fuel screw currently is (turn it clockwise until it lightly seats and then count your turns backwards) to have as a baseline. The easiest way to determine the correct setting for your fuel screw/pilot jet is to have the bike completely warmed up and then adjust it while the bike is idling, slowly turn the screw in 1/4 turn increments (both in/out from your current setting) until you acheive the highest idle speed. If your highest idle speed occurs from ~1-3 turns out, your pilot jet size is good, if it occurs at greater than 3 turns out, you'll need to go up to the next size larger pilot jet and repeat the fuel screw setting process, less than 1 turn (not likely with a more open exhaust system) you would need to go to the next size smaller pilot jet. Once your pilot jet is correct, and your fuel screw is set to acheive the highest idle, use your idle screw to drop the idle speed to the desired rpm.

There's much more to tuning a carb than that, but that will get you dialed in from closed through ~1/4 throttle which is what comes into play when you cut the throttle for a shift and the bike momentarily goes lean causing the decel pop. If your bike is F.I. (and depending on make/model) you can make similar changes with most aftermarket programmers.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I didn't catch what kind of bike you have OTHG, but assuming it's carbureted, you'll need to add fuel to the pilot circuit to lessen the decel pop. A little decel pop does NOT mean that there is something wrong with your bike, but you can add a little extra fuel (more than what would be optimum for power) down low to reduce (and sometimes eliminate) the popping if it bothers you.

If it was running good prior to the new pipe(s) just count how many turns out your fuel screw currently is (turn it clockwise until it lightly seats and then count your turns backwards) to have as a baseline. The easiest way to determine the correct setting for your fuel screw/pilot jet is to have the bike completely warmed up and then adjust it while the bike is idling, slowly turn the screw in 1/4 turn increments (both in/out from your current setting) until you acheive the highest idle speed. If your highest idle speed occurs from ~1-3 turns out, your pilot jet size is good, if it occurs at greater than 3 turns out, you'll need to go up to the next size larger pilot jet and repeat the fuel screw setting process, less than 1 turn (not likely with a more open exhaust system) you would need to go to the next size smaller pilot jet. Once your pilot jet is correct, and your fuel screw is set to acheive the highest idle, use your idle screw to drop the idle speed to the desired rpm.

There's much more to tuning a carb than that, but that will get you dialed in from closed through ~1/4 throttle which is what comes into play when you cut the throttle for a shift and the bike momentarily goes lean causing the decel pop. If your bike is F.I. (and depending on make/model) you can make similar changes with most aftermarket programmers.
That's what I figured.

It's a 2016 Yamaha FZ-07 so it's FI. I'm probably going to get a power commander eventually and also have it dynoed and tuned. I'm not to worried about it as it isn't popping when you rev it up, just on decel like I said which from what I've read was being hidden by the stock exhaust. Although, I could get it to burble a little with the stock exhaust if I tried hard enough. But that was going hard into a turn while downshifting without the clutch. I was just curious as it's my first bike that I'm paying for and own and don't want to mess anything up as I'm a broke white boy.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

So I've been giving the supermoto some TLC for my ride coming up Saturday with a buddy of mine I promised to show around. Bike has close to 23,000 miles on it now. A good 18,000 of those miles have been HARD miles, chasing buddies on high HP exotic machinery. I am very good about maintenance, I don't go by the owners manual on oil changes, well, because oil is cheap and engines aren't (the shifter will tell you when it's time ), often, and use good oil and filters. All four of my valves are still in spec after around 8,000 miles since the last check with more aggressive cams (intake cam only now actually), and my cam chain is still good to go also. I figured I'd at least need to shim the valves. I LOVE this bike, it's the best motorcycle I have ever, ever owned, hands down.

Cams timed at TDC, and still a perfect 15 links between timing marks.

hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

What bike is this ^^ drz400? whats the performance like with the cam/cams.
How do you find the bike in general?
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Yep, DRZ 400sm supermoto to be exact. The cam / cams are just one small part on a four stroke. I started out with airbox mods, a full exhaust, and re-jetting. Then I added the FCR39mx pumper carb. Then added the cams, tuning time on a dyno, and my tuner made even more airbox mods. I'm really happy with it, up here at our altitude they'll put down 32-33HP in bone stock form, mine made 41.8HP with all the mods.

I love it but supermotos aren't for everyone. If you don't have lots of good curvy roads close by, or the ability to embrace your inner hooligan, they're not for you.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
That's what I figured.

It's a 2016 Yamaha FZ-07 so it's FI. I'm probably going to get a power commander eventually and also have it dynoed and tuned. I'm not to worried about it as it isn't popping when you rev it up, just on decel like I said which from what I've read was being hidden by the stock exhaust. Although, I could get it to burble a little with the stock exhaust if I tried hard enough. But that was going hard into a turn while downshifting without the clutch. I was just curious as it's my first bike that I'm paying for and own and don't want to mess anything up as I'm a broke white boy.
Some bikes have an air injection system (AIS) that helps burn any fuel that makes it out of the cylinder alive. Also, the stock exhaust has a catalytic converter in it, which I'm assuming your new one doesn't, unless it's an Akra Ti.
For tuning, 2WDW is to the FZ-07 what Ivan is to the Ninja 1000/Z1000 or Stoltec with the FZ-09. A PC5 would help, but a Flash tune would be so much better. In stock trim, at some parts of throttle, especially deceleration, there is no fuel going to the injectors, which can cause snappy throttle issues. A Flash will add fuel during those moments. A PC adds values in percentages. 100% of 0 is still 0, so it's not ideal. You can add a PC to a flash tune though, for further fine tuning. The preferred add-on controller for the 07 is an EJK. Head over to Home | FZ-07 Forum and sign up. I'm the Regional Director for Arizona over there.
My current bike...

Previous bike...

Previous, previous bike...

1981 Suzuki GS650G
1979 Honda CB750F SS
1970-something Yamaha XS-something. It was actually my brothers and a friend of his, but I would steal it all the time in the mid '80sl
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

If you replace your stock exhaust with aftermarket, you're gonna need to mess with the fuel / air mixture, pretty much always. I jetted my stock carb no problem, jetted the FCR pumper carb also, and had it 98% of the way there. BUT, there was a tiny burble just off idle, right where it would upset the chassis using maintenance throttle once you had your lean angle set and I never could quite get it to go away so I took it to Wheeler (Wheelers performance over by Deals Gap). Ken's a great guy and a supermoto guy himself, I've ridden with him and he knew what I was referring to. Once I got it back the jetting is absolutely perfect, BUT, I do get some loud decel pops but it's normal on a single with a (mostly) open race exhaust. Keeps the cagers awake too.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:10 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
Some bikes have an air injection system (AIS) that helps burn any fuel that makes it out of the cylinder alive. Also, the stock exhaust has a catalytic converter in it, which I'm assuming your new one doesn't, unless it's an Akra Ti.
For tuning, 2WDW is to the FZ-07 what Ivan is to the Ninja 1000/Z1000 or Stoltec with the FZ-09. A PC5 would help, but a Flash tune would be so much better. In stock trim, at some parts of throttle, especially deceleration, there is no fuel going to the injectors, which can cause snappy throttle issues. A Flash will add fuel during those moments. A PC adds values in percentages. 100% of 0 is still 0, so it's not ideal. You can add a PC to a flash tune though, for further fine tuning. The preferred add-on controller for the 07 is an EJK. Head over to Home | FZ-07 Forum and sign up. I'm the Regional Director for Arizona over there.
Just created my account. It should be the same screen name as on here. *Edit. And I have my birthday coming up in the next week or so. I'll either be buying a fuel controller, other parts for the bike, or a decent camera.

*Edit 2WDW=2 Wheel Dynoworks. Duh.

Last edited by OTHGbronco82; 06-04-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:37 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
If you replace your stock exhaust with aftermarket, you're gonna need to mess with the fuel / air mixture, pretty much always. I jetted my stock carb no problem, jetted the FCR pumper carb also, and had it 98% of the way there. BUT, there was a tiny burble just off idle, right where it would upset the chassis using maintenance throttle once you had your lean angle set and I never could quite get it to go away so I took it to Wheeler (Wheelers performance over by Deals Gap). Ken's a great guy and a supermoto guy himself, I've ridden with him and he knew what I was referring to. Once I got it back the jetting is absolutely perfect, BUT, I do get some loud decel pops but it's normal on a single with a (mostly) open race exhaust. Keeps the cagers awake too.
I need to order the moose jet kit and play with my bike.
I pulled the carby to clean it the other week and found its
been upgraded to the pumper carby. Has the adjustable needle too.
I cleaned it all and moved the clip down for more fuel and
its better but still has a flat "bog" in the rev range.

Thats a decent amount of hp for a little bike.

Interested in what gearing youre running too. I'm thinking
of going up a few teeth for more top end.

I think ive got 16/45 at the moment.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:25 AM   #55
RCC Addict

So the street scooter is fine. But, the dirt scooter is getting diddled with right now. Figured I'd get new tank graphics and it turned into tank, shroud, and airbox graphics. Plus, I'm going to have a new seat cover put on too. I got the left side done, then it was to dark. Should have it done in the morning so I can take a picture.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrusader View Post
I need to order the moose jet kit and play with my bike.
I pulled the carby to clean it the other week and found its
been upgraded to the pumper carby. Has the adjustable needle too.
I cleaned it all and moved the clip down for more fuel and
its better but still has a flat "bog" in the rev range.

Thats a decent amount of hp for a little bike.

Interested in what gearing youre running too. I'm thinking
of going up a few teeth for more top end.

I think ive got 16/45 at the moment.
Thanks, yeah it's a whole different bike from stock. The S / SM models from 2008 on are really choked down with EPA stuff, just a jet kit and airbox mod are a huge difference.

You're issue could be not enough fuel, or too much fuel, hard to say. I had to order a different needle for my altitude here, had a different taper than the stocker. There's a ton of jetting info, and other good stuff over at Thumpertalk forums.

I'm running the stock gearing, 15/41, which is almost identical to what you have. I've been tempted to put a 16 on the front, but I like clutching up 3rd gear wheelies too much.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #57
Yashua

This was a sad day. Our last ground up scooter being sold and loaded.
I've rode longer than I can recall, Hodaka 100 was my first one then a bunch of Yamaha enduro's , the on to a couple Norton Commando ' s a 74 Shovel an 84 FXWG A 96 soft tail (piece of junk) and a couple ground up Hogs. Years of fun.
Attached Images

Last edited by CREEPERBOB; 06-07-2016 at 06:53 AM.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

I have been willing to buy a Yamaha FZ1 for a long time and guess what....its discontinued for an ugly looking 3 cylinder MT-09.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Get a secondhand one then. haha

Ive bought this little cutie.

Got it cheap,not running or registered. Got it running lastnight.
Doing a full custom spray job.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Took longer than I was hoping, but it's finally done. Also decided to come up short on a step-up and cased the living shit out of it. I can walk, but just barely.

Before:

After:

Motorcycle discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC motorcycle ? venomous98 Non Crawler RC's 10 04-16-2009 04:07 PM
My new Motorcycle jason Chit Chat 39 10-03-2008 06:35 AM
Rc Motorcycle Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 8 12-30-2006 07:55 AM
got in a motorcycle accident... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 62 11-05-2006 03:45 PM