Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: .380 CC Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default .380 CC Suggestions

So I've decided that my full size isn't practical to CC because no matter what it prints horribly.

Requirements here are semi (preferably striker fired) 3-3.5" barrel, MUST have a full grip (I have large hands and need that pinky) and would prefer a SA. DAO would be acceptable as long as it's not a ridiculous amount of pull. Do not care for SA/DA. Budget is $400 tops.

I have not had much luck so suggestions????
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: .380 CC Suggestions

What's your full size? And remember, printing is not brandishing. If people can make out from a certain angle that I'm armed it's ok. I'm not intimidating anyone by having it concealed.
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

probably too small for your hand...
but I love my Colt 1903 ACP .32
Not a current production nor cheap to purchase...
but a well deserved CC contender IMO.

accurate, small, easy to fire and net tight groupings.
perfect CC IMO... ask the 1920 gangsters or WWII mongers.
oh nevermind... they're all dead.
But... the legend's still live.

Yeah it's old... nearing 100 years now
But 1000 times better construction then the plastic crap they mfgr today.

Mine was mfgr'd in 1926
and is still as great as the first time it was sold and fired.
Even managed to locate a spare factory mag in 2016 !
So it now delivers 17 rounds of FU

Yes there are cheaper CC guns... cost less and get it done.
But none have the quality feel and durability that a 1903 has.
And I'll bet that in the year of 3016 my 1903 is still defending

Need a little more stopping power for a CC... 1903 ACP .38
Tho' from what I've read....
the ACP .32 has more muzzle velocity... is more accurate...
plus less intimidating to the user when firing.

^ the later means increased accuracy

If yer looking for a more modern piece...
I have little to offer.

good luck with your search/purchase

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 05-10-2016 at 01:27 AM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You'll be looking at 9mm's and .380's to fit your needs most likely. Neither are bad, 9mm will work good with most JHP ammo. To get the same level of penetration on a .380 you'll want to skip past the JHP's and go to a more unique ammo type. Lehigh makes great defensive carry ammo for all calibers in unique and better designs, especially for those of us carrying .380.

Of course fitment will come down to what works in your hands.

I like the Walther CCP or the Springfield XDS for a carry. Neither are too small and remain good shooters.

I currently pocket carry, and for that I use a Ruger LCP. Small gun, shoots well enough for defense. Is it fun to shoot at a range, no. Is it the best trigger, no. But it fits my hand and is ultra concealable. Since I own many other guns for range time, I was able to buy a purpose built small size gun for this carry.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Glock 43 9mm, S&W Shield 9mm, Glock 42 .380ACP. I have a Ruger LCP, and while I love the size and concealability, I hate shooting the damned thing.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

IMO I would consider the S&W Shield, I switch between a G19 and the Shield and have taken quite a liking to the Shield. Its contours lend to less of an imprint and I also installed a set of Talon "stick on" grips that made quite a difference.

If you can jump up to a 9mm it opens up alot more ammo choice's (cheaper in some case) and in a comfortable pistol the increased recoil is negligible.

PS, with the extended mag it helps out the "floating pinky syndrome"!

Happy shopping!
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Also, how are you carrying? If printing is the main concern you may want to try a different position. I have some extra insulation, so I have options, full size at 3 o'clock prints, but full size at appendix you can't tell at all (granted, you don't want to jump into the front seat of your car as you'll get punched right in the D...). I'd try moving it around before just buying a different gun, but then again I'm cheap, lol.
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Makarov

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makarov_pistol

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=makarov

Most are chambered in 9x18 (.380 is 9x17)
You can find them in .380
Fixed barrel design
Steel construction
SA/DA with decocker
Russian service pistol for 40 years.
The vast majority are single stack mags with an 8+1 capacity.
Mine was a rare high capacity (it held 11 + 1)
Nice size grip for a small frame auto.

Before I realized the brilliance of a DA revolver for CC I carried one of these for a couple years.
Messenger bags in cities, ya never know

Last edited by Dostradamas; 05-10-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Fan of wheelspeed

I CC the S&W Bodyguard .380 and have for a few years now. I use a extended clip for every day carry that gives me a extra 1/2" (although I do have a 1" extension too on my 2nd clip). I use the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 holster and work in car sales, and flash with my khakis and dress shirts isn't a huge issue. Every now and then someone asks why I have a clip on my belt, but that's it really. LEOs can spot it, which is fine with me, but nearly everyone else hasn't a clue. It's kind of gimmicky, but it also has a laser if you wanted to play around with it on the range but I can't remember having turned mine on but maybe 2-3 times for that very reason. The price point should be towards the top side of your $400 price range. A couple of coworkers have the Ruger ACP, and short of not having the extra bulk from the laser they're extremely close in quality IMHO. I carry DRT Terminal Shock .380 ACP 85 Grain Lead Free Frangible hollow points. Within roughly 5 yards they're not getting back up. Other than those I carry Hornady Zombie Max rounds.

Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I can't recommend enough to get your hands on one at a range that rents guns and shoot with them first.

.380's being what they are vary greatly from user to user. I hate shooting the Ruger as hpi guy said. I like the glock though. What works for some may not work for others. Personally though, I would check out some of the subcompact 9mm guns too, lot's of variety there.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Many of the suggestions so far have ignored the grip factor that I mentioned was a must. I've never liked Mac's and am not paying antique/heirloom prices for a 1903/1908 hammerless for a EDC beater, although I am fond of them.

For grip size think Walther PK380. I've been reviewing those but comments seem to be about 50/50. I've also been looking into the Bersa CC 380 and the Sig P250 Compact. If you read nothing else from my requirements folks, remember the part about having a big grip. "Bug" or pocket guns are out of the question.

It must be enjoyable to shoot or else I'll never practice with it, which nullifies the whole point.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Is there a reason you need a 380? I would look at 9mm instead, ammo is cheaper and a bigger variety of guns that fit your criteria.
ADlBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Being that the grip is what prints for CC, mind if I ask why you want another CC weapon with a full size grip?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Many of the suggestions so far have ignored the grip factor that I mentioned was a must. I've never liked Mac's and am not paying antique/heirloom prices for a 1903/1908 hammerless for a EDC beater, although I am fond of them.

For grip size think Walther PK380. I've been reviewing those but comments seem to be about 50/50. I've also been looking into the Bersa CC 380 and the Sig P250 Compact. If you read nothing else from my requirements folks, remember the part about having a big grip. "Bug" or pocket guns are out of the question.

It must be enjoyable to shoot or else I'll never practice with it, which nullifies the whole point.
Based on what you are saying here, I would look past the .380 for sure.

I have smaller hands than most and a thick thumb pad. Finding the right fit for me can be difficult. Neither the Glock .380 or LCP fit in my hand comfortably. I hate shooting the LCP with a passion. It's just not enjoyable in anyway to shoot with.

A nice compact or subcompact 9mm should give you everything you want, will shoot well, and ammo is easy to find and reasonably priced.

There are even some nice subcompact .40's as well. I think S&W is making one that is single stack so the gun is very thin and concealable.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Being that the grip is what prints for CC, mind if I ask why you want another CC weapon with a full size grip?

I'm hoping even an inch less on the length of the grip will help, along with possibly being a little thinner. Anything that allows me to get four fingers around it would be acceptable in terms of grip.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Based on what you are saying here, I would look past the .380 for sure.

I have smaller hands than most and a thick thumb pad. Finding the right fit for me can be difficult. Neither the Glock .380 or LCP fit in my hand comfortably. I hate shooting the LCP with a passion. It's just not enjoyable in anyway to shoot with.

A nice compact or subcompact 9mm should give you everything you want, will shoot well, and ammo is easy to find and reasonably priced.

There are even some nice subcompact .40's as well. I think S&W is making one that is single stack so the gun is very thin and concealable.

I have not had much luck with the nines either, that fit my specifications.

I'm gunning for .380's because the few I've shot had IMHO noticeably less recoil, so I figured they'd be more manageable in a smaller pistol. Plus they're generally easier to manipulate.

I'm open to suggestions....
Old 05-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I think you may have already answered your own question. Either the Sig 250 or the Bersa seem to be about the best choices in 380 and have the requirements you want.

I have the Sig p320 carry which is basically a striker fired p250 and love the grip size on it. I don't have a great IWB holster for my Sig yet (just the owb that comes with it and it is surprisingly nice for a free holster) so I can't really tell how bad it would print on my small frame.

I used to own a Bersa Mini Firestorm .40 that was a great gun. The only things I didn't like about it was finding inexpensive spare magazines was a trick, the plastic rear site shifted and there was no available metal one with the same dovetail, and it wasn't much smaller then my Glock so I decided to sell it.
stevejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Okay, that makes good sense. Have you looked at and fired the S&W Shield and Glock 43? I'm with others, I'd go 9mm every day over .380ACP. Much cheaper and easier to source ammo, at least for me around here. When I bought my LCP, none of these options were available or it's the route I'd have taken. If you're dead set on a .380, try a Glock 42, or the Sig mentioned above.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I've owned a Bersa Thunder 380 for 8+ years and it's a great gun. Fun to shoot, fairly accurate and has been reliable. I don't CC, but I feel I could with this one. It's definitely bigger than your typical CC, but it's thin and has a nice grip. Worth checking out if you can find one local. Get an extra mag or two....they aren't easy to find.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Berretta auto with tip up barrel in 22LR is very small, light, inexpensive and fits well in the hand, and the slide does not bite the web of my hand like Walther PPK .380 and several other compacts. Tip up barrel is nice and easy to chamber round without racking slide, possible accidental discharge etc....although that never happens to anybody. Don't laugh at 22LR either, it's cheap, reliable (buy the good stuff no matter the caliber) and does the job.

Berretta also comes in 25ACP.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-17-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

.380 CC Suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
380 Motor jaloos Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 02-05-2013 06:42 PM
Novak 380 OTHGbronco82 Electronics 10 10-21-2012 06:36 AM
Need motor help 380 vs short 380? tjmark Electronics 2 10-29-2009 07:46 PM
KM 5B baja 380$??? Anyone got one? akguanja Chit Chat 18 01-02-2009 04:22 PM
380 brushless? Stride Chit Chat 5 02-22-2007 07:19 PM