Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Hiking & Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Hiking & Crawling

I've found several amazing crawling spots while I've been hiking

I'm going to start combining these two activities and I am planning on what to take with me.

The obvious items include truck, radio, batteries, tools, and spares but does anyone else hike more than a mile to your crawl spot?

If so, do you have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #2

Default Re: Hiking & Crawling

I don't hike for crawling but hunting and a good external frame pack so you could tie stuff to it
scott037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I hike and run trucks all the time. Regularly do 2-3 mile trail runs with the truck running the whole time. It's great because my wife comes and she loves hiking and just being outside while I get to play with my toys. I just bring the things you listed and normal hiking supplies like Clif bars and water in a nice soft pack I have. The pack has lashing points on the outside that go around the truck axle perfectly in case I break something and have to carry the truck out which has happened a few times. Also nice if you need to do any climbing and you need two hands free. It's rare these days I don't measure my RC outings in miles.

Last edited by ElChupacabra; 09-12-2016 at 07:22 AM.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks scott037 & ElChupacabra

I'm very motivated to do this soon

My life - like so many others - is sort of like a log jam, packed with so many things to do at work and home, it's difficult to find/make time to do stuff I want to do

I've been helping my wife with her new job and I'm happy to do it but I'm looking forward to a "normal" life again that provides more opportunities to build and crawl

Thanks
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hello, here are some pictures and info about this activity that I practice for more than 10 years ago
https://www.facebook.com/TruckTrial/

also in this forum
The best of my mountains hiking & crawling

trucktrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm pretty bad; I can't hardley even think about hiking without taking my crawler. There was a time in my life before rc crawlers when I would go hiking simply to have fun. Well now I don't even have fun hiking unless I'm packing; my crawler of course. I can be out for 4 hours on two batteries. I've missed dinner more than a few times lolol

I have a Plano 2700 loaded with tools and a few spare parts like rod ends and spare driveshafts spurs and even axle shafts. Stuff it in a pack along with some candy bars water and coffee and off I go. The most important thing I've learned is to have extra transmitter batteries.

I've so learned when I'm approaching a dog on the trail to pick up the truck. Some dogs go absolutely f'ing berserk over rc's so I try to avoid those kind of situations.

Last edited by rngrchad; 09-14-2016 at 12:50 PM.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Regularly hike 2-3 miles with my Rigs. I use one, my lady uses one. Most important thing for me is spare batteries for the rigs, as well as making sure everything is well put together on the rig. I have had many times where something comes loose, and even falls off (driveshaft). I don't notice it until it's too late. Just make sure you have all the necessary tools, and some possible spares. Be ready to carry it out if need be.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Just curious - what are some of the specs for you guys' rigs that get taken out for miles at a time? In terms of gearing, motor and battery sizes.
I guess I've run mine pretty far but never really paid much attention. Need to get back exercising and "playing" at the same time would be a better motivator than "because i need it"
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I routinely take mine out for hours and hours, we quite often trek 1-3 miles and sometimes even 3-5. It's just about the only decent exercise I get these days..

I run bone stock SCX10 gearing on either an 18.5T brushless or a 35T brushed motor; and for batteries I have 4 regulars - all are 3S, mAh's are 1800, 2200, 2200 & 2650, I also carry a couple 2S units for other people to use if they run short. I usually go through about 1000mAh per hour.

As far as what to bring? Water, tools, spare parts, food, more water, more spare parts. I always keep a grocery bag in my pack to cover my Tx if it starts to rain.

I need to figure out a cup holder that mounts to my Tx so I can take a coffee/beer with me though...
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

My Emaxx mountaineer setup

more setup pics
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=a74f2c3d50

/Motors , Radio,
-2 Integy 45T motors in parallel at 2s or 3S Lipo. Low power and high torque, very smooth.
-1 CPU fan 60 mm , motor.
-2 Al heatsinks.
-1 Novak ESC fan
-stock ESC
-Airtronics-Sanwa 2.4 3 channels.

//Battery, Charger.
-48000 mah in 10 Lipos 2s/3s. 30 to 50c. Gens Ace, Jamara, Vant,Traxxas, Turnigy
-4200 mah NiMh 9,6 V to power Led lights in emergency.
-1 Rx lipo 2200 mah + 1 Rx Nimh 1600 mah in emergency.
-Lipo Battery Voltage display integrated in the rear bumper.
-SkyRc D100, Imax B6 and Digipeak chargers

//Rims and tires, summer:
-Axial_ax8046 Beadlock rims, 3.8" 40 series.
-Proline Trencher 3.8" 40 series.

//Rims and tires, winter:
-Proline Velocity 3.8" 40 series.
Mip steel Cvd, front
-Traxxas E-Revo style axles and carrier, rear
-Robinson Racing diff gears.
-2 Traxxas diff spool lock.
-Integy Al diff case

//Driveline, suspension
-Rpm arms, front.
-Rpm axle carrier, front
-Rpm Truetrack, rear.
-Hitec 645 MG Servo
-Traxxas Big Bore shocks. 1b position.
-Silicone oil. 50 front, 60 rear.
-Custom dual spring rate, soft 10 mm + hard 55 mm.
-Integy shock spring set Tmaxx -red-.

//Bumpers & Skid plates
-Rpm bumpers
-Custom skid plate ,front
-Rpm skid plate ,center.
-Integy Al skid plate, rear

//Hardware, Bearings
-All external bearings rubber sealed

//Body
-Proline F650 body. Daylight.
-Proline Humvee body , 2 * 7W 12V led, 1400 lumens. Night rides.
trucktrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #11

Pretty much all my crawling involves hiking. I don't bring anything special with me, so if the truck breaks (hasn't happened yet), I guess I'll just pick it up and turn around. I did run out of battery power once, so had to coast it downhill for the last bit, but haven't had any issues since I switched to brushless. I don't bring a spare, but I get a solid 2 hours out of my 5,000mAh battery, which is plenty.

I have a great little hike nearby that I go to with the dogs and my Wraith. Internet says it's 4 kms to the peak, with 600m elevation gain. So far, I figure I've been about 2/3 of the way up. Not sure if it will be possible to make it to the peak with the truck, but there's only 2 small ledges on the bottom 2/3 that require the "Hand of God," otherwise it's all driveable.

Best part is that the trail is on an exposed ridgeline, in a super windy spot, with southern exposure, so the bottom half stays bare of snow almost all winter (at least it did last winter.)

Helicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Beautiful pics Helicrawler.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote

Hiking & Crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The best of my mountains hiking & crawling trucktrial Traxxas Crawlers 127 02-17-2024 06:05 AM
RS10XT good for R/C hiking? 2WheelFlyer Redcat Crawlers 10 03-21-2013 10:24 AM
What R/C for hiking? justadork Newbie General 23 02-07-2013 02:12 PM
went hiking today Dfrog Axial SCX-10 10 02-08-2011 04:38 PM
Need a hiking pack. mrwonderful Chit Chat 9 07-27-2006 07:14 PM