Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

What an amazing adventure, great photos, and got in some golf and Ascender time I see.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
What an amazing adventure, great photos, and got in some golf and Ascender time I see.
Thanks Scott, it has been a amazing adventure!!!! Everyone has to take time from their vacation to play a little.

Day 32????
Left the campground in Ashland Kentucky this morning head to Mammoth Cave State Park. It is kind of hard getting pic in a dimly lit Cave but here are a few.

I think I read that there is over 100 miles of cave that has been mapped here?

Todays trivia question, Who can tell me why we are seeing so many barns and sheds painted black in Kentucky??

Ok, so I wanted to get a good panoramic view photo so we stopped at a little place and I climbed the tallest tree I could find for this one.

No, ok so I fudged just a little, we took the elevator up to the top of the Jefferson Davis Memorial to get that one.

Ok, all for tonight, we are in a KOA on Prizer Point Lake, close to Cadiz Kentucky.
Marcia and Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for taking the time to constantly update your vacation/road trip. Has the RV been living up to expectations for such a long trip?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post

Todays trivia question, Who can tell me why we are seeing so many barns and sheds painted black in Kentucky??
Had to Google it. Never seen or heard about black barns or even been to Kentucky but it makes sense now.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
Had to Google it. Never seen or heard about black barns or even been to Kentucky but it makes sense now.
Me too, never seen a black barn until now.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Thanks for taking the time to constantly update your vacation/road trip. Has the RV been living up to expectations for such a long trip?
It's nice to know that some of you guys are liking it!
Wow, it has been fun, had it serviced last week, and averaging about 10MPG. I don't want to say to much and jinx a great trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
That was how we found out too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Me too, never seen a black barn until now.
It took me about a half day and 30 buildings to finally get curious enough to ask google.

Day 34, not much to offer in the way of photos. It was a nice sun set last night.

Made it to the Memphis KOA this evening, in the middle 80's today.
Hey Poprivet, we will see you in a couple days!!. And sorry about the Thanksgiving joke.

OH and Rick F, we found a couple canister balls at Gettysburg. No, not on the battlefield, in a second hand store!

All for now guys.
Marcia and Ernie
Old 10-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Nice sunset pics. Those looked like Parrot cannons in the other posting.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice sunset pics. Those looked like Parrot cannons in the other posting.
Thanks Nate, Not sure on the cannons, they were used at the battle on Little Round Top.
Ernie
Old 10-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

You're sharing some beautiful pictures! Thanks for taking us all along with you guys. I've travelled some myself, thru some of the areas you've been. I'm happy to see you two are having such a nice trip.
You're getting near the bottom of my home state, (I've been watching this thread) I may know some good eats and sights when you get near SW Mo.
The last time I went thru that corner of Arkansas, there were entire hillsides covered in Kudzu vines for miles, looked like fairytale landscapes. Whatever route you take, there will be plenty of scenic views, and snakey roads so be careful.
Thanks again for the "ride".
jim

dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Looks like same cannons used at Antietam,West Virginia.

https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm
Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

I can't wait to finally get to meet you guys. I have thoroughly enjoyed following along with your trip. Thanks again for posting all the great pictures.

Don't worry about the Thanksgiving joke. I wouldn't mind you staying that long, but I do enjoy giving my wife a hard time.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Day 36
Well, after over 5000 miles and 24 states we had our first repair bill yesterday. We had just entered the town of Harrison Ar. and started to pull a slight hill and the MH started to labor under a hard pull up a steep hill. I knew I was just under 1/4 tank on gas so my first thought was bad fuel!!! So thoughts of oh "shit" (the closest thing to cussing you will hear from me), what now? Made it over a couple more pulls from stop lights, watching for a gas station and came around a corner to a big Blue and White FORD sign, thoughts, "It is 4:00, but what if it isn't fuel", so we pulled in. Dealership says that they will take the time to look at it, but not sure they have time to fix it. Long story short we now have a new fuel pressure monitoring sensor and our pocket book is $380 lighter. Thanked everyone for the great service and pulled out of the dealership to the same engine laboring!!!!! We found a gas station, bought some fuel treatment and $68. of gas, crossed our fingers and headed out to a small pull, I instantly got a big smile across my face, no more laboring. So was it the $380 spent or the $68 sent that fixed the problem?????? What do you think mechanics???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
You're sharing some beautiful pictures! Thanks for taking us all along with you guys. I've travelled some myself, thru some of the areas you've been. I'm happy to see you two are having such a nice trip.
You're getting near the bottom of my home state, (I've been watching this thread) I may know some good eats and sights when you get near SW Mo.
The last time I went thru that corner of Arkansas, there were entire hillsides covered in Kudzu vines for miles, looked like fairytale landscapes. Whatever route you take, there will be plenty of scenic views, and snakey roads so be careful.
Thanks again for the "ride".
jim

Hey Jim, we may have seen the same hillsides. Really enjoyed our ride through the edge of the Ozarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
I can't wait to finally get to meet you guys. I have thoroughly enjoyed following along with your trip. Thanks again for posting all the great pictures.

Don't worry about the Thanksgiving joke. I wouldn't mind you staying that long, but I do enjoy giving my wife a hard time.
I think we should be pulling in between 4 and 5.

Saw a great variety of architect going through the Mountain yesterday!!

A throw away Jimmy (I have a GPS on this one if you want to take a look at it)!

Got to find a truck/rv wash today.

No post tonight, going to spend some QT with my friend Poprivet and family!!
Ernie and Marcia
Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #93
Rock Crawler

I live north of Springfield, MO., so right now you're a little over 100 mi. due south of me (straight up Hiway 65). Lots of pretty country around you in all directions, all around the Table Rock lake area, Eureka Springs is really nice, Branson can be hectic, but it's nice too.
Enjoy the Ozarks, let me know if you come northward.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

I hope that I didn't call out 'ole man Murphy... My vote goes for bad gas as the source of your engine problems but I'm beyond skeptical of any stealership service dept. being able to be honest with anyone.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I hope that I didn't call out 'ole man Murphy... My vote goes for bad gas as the source of your engine problems but I'm beyond skeptical of any stealership service dept. being able to be honest with anyone.

X2, Ford stealerships ime were the worst service ever, they never could fix my Ranger ignition issue, but swore it was fixed. All dealers I've ever dealt with should be checked up on to be sure they are doing what you paid them for. I've had some good experiences too, a lot depends on how the dealership is run and the service adviser you work with. There is one adviser that I always try to avoid at Subaru, dude told me my brakes were due and I told him to pull a wheel and show me, he then says that they'll be ok...for now...lol.

I'm voting for bad tank of diesel, based on your symptoms, how and when it got 'fixed'.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Mechanics are getting fewer and shops are having to settle for whoever they can get. The big dealerships in my area are for the most part incompetent crooks. I work in a small shop with a friend, just the two of us in a small town. Of course in small town America you'd better do good honest work or the word spreads fast and then you're closing the doors. Anyway, Ernie, You got the good ol' dealer screwing. No one could figure it out, so throw a part on and sell it with a bullshit story. They don't care that they screwed you, you are from out of town and they'll never see you again. We have quite a few little old ladies that come in after leaving the dealerships with papers stating all the repairs they need. 99% of the time it's a crock! Usually brakes and easy money jobs and safety related items, so it scares these unknowing little old ladies into thinking if they don't let the dealer fix their cars they could have an accident. Makes you wonder how these jerks can sleep at night.
Being a life long mechanic it really is upsetting to hear when good people get taken by bad shops. Sorry you went through this and hopefully the rest of your trip is without incident
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

I only go to a dealer mechanic as a last resort; usually electrical issues, as I'm sure they have seen it before.

I brought my Grand Cherokee into a Jeep dealer because my mechanic couldn't figure out why I had a misfire in one cylinder. After the diagnostic, the service manager handed me a laundry list of "repairs" to the tune of $3800. I looked at the list and told the guy "Fix the misfire only. Oh... And change the oil."

The assholes charged me $500 to fix a short in the wiring harness. It probably took the guy 15 minutes to wrap electrical tape around the bare wire.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Very true! I'd like to think some dealers are honest! As a former licensed mechanic I have had the out of town repair that I'm sure I got hosed on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by snapon boy; 10-20-2016 at 07:28 AM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I live north of Springfield, MO., so right now you're a little over 100 mi. due south of me (straight up Hiway 65). Lots of pretty country around you in all directions, all around the Table Rock lake area, Eureka Springs is really nice, Branson can be hectic, but it's nice too.
Enjoy the Ozarks, let me know if you come northward.

jim
Thanks for the info Jim, I think we are going stay south of you, on our way to Terlton OK.

Quote:

Thanks for validating that it was bad gas, and ol man Murphy could have been a lot harder on us!

Quote:
X2, Ford stealerships ime were the worst service ever, they never could fix my Ranger ignition issue, but swore it was fixed. All dealers I've ever dealt with should be checked up on to be sure they are doing what you paid them for. I've had some good experiences too, a lot depends on how the dealership is run and the service adviser you work with. There is one adviser that I always try to avoid at Subaru, dude told me my brakes were due and I told him to pull a wheel and show me, he then says that they'll be ok...for now...lol.

I'm voting for bad tank of diesel, based on your symptoms, how and when it got 'fixed'.
It was Gas, but it did come from a Shell station in Arkansas, still fighting it a little when I let it get below 1/4 tank, and on a incline. We will see how it plays out tomorrow when we head into Colorado.
Probably be seeing you in a little over a week. I will let you know when we get to California!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Mechanics are getting fewer and shops are having to settle for whoever they can get. The big dealerships in my area are for the most part incompetent crooks. I work in a small shop with a friend, just the two of us in a small town. Of course in small town America you'd better do good honest work or the word spreads fast and then you're closing the doors. Anyway, Ernie, You got the good ol' dealer screwing. No one could figure it out, so throw a part on and sell it with a bullshit story. They don't care that they screwed you, you are from out of town and they'll never see you again. We have quite a few little old ladies that come in after leaving the dealerships with papers stating all the repairs they need. 99% of the time it's a crock! Usually brakes and easy money jobs and safety related items, so it scares these unknowing little old ladies into thinking if they don't let the dealer fix their cars they could have an accident. Makes you wonder how these jerks can sleep at night.
Being a life long mechanic it really is upsetting to hear when good people get taken by bad shops. Sorry you went through this and hopefully the rest of your trip is without incident
Thanks for the input Jon, I should have gone with my gut feeling on bad fuel but this far from home I didn't want to take a chance.
I tried to work things out so we would hit Missouri on the weekend, but it didn't work out, really sorry we missed meeting you! We did make it to Poprivets last night, had a really nice visit with he, Becky and Eli, great people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
I only go to a dealer mechanic as a last resort; usually electrical issues, as I'm sure they have seen it before.

I brought my Grand Cherokee into a Jeep dealer because my mechanic couldn't figure out why I had a misfire in one cylinder. After the diagnostic, the service manager handed me a laundry list of "repairs" to the tune of $3800. I looked at the list and told the guy "Fix the misfire only. Oh... And change the oil."

The assholes charged me $500 to fix a short in the wiring harness. It probably took the guy 15 minutes to wrap electrical tape around the bare wire.
I guess it is a lesson well learned by me.

QUOTE=snapon boy;5577819]Very true! I'd like to think some dealers are honest! As a former licensed mechanic I have had the out of town repair that I'm sure I got hosed on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I guess I don't feel quite so dumb now.

Day 37, Skunks, Raccoons, Opossum and Armadillo on this trip I have learned that the automobile is their number one predator!!!!!
Forgot to show this guy the other day, he was the third guy that day wanting to ride along with us.

Marcia and I left Poprivets this morning headed Northwest. What a great visit we had with he and his family! I was honored to spend some QT with his 4 year old son Eli, what a little character he is. His wife Becky and Marcia talked Essential oils while Poprivet and I were out in his shop talking 1/10 scalers and 1:1 jeeps. He is a very talented young man working on both size rigs. We felt very honored to meet them and now I can say I have met another of my RC friends!!!!

This is one of the reasons we are staying off of the freeways as much as we can. I had no idea we would see geology types like this in Oklahoma!

[URL=http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/ledspots/media/Coast%20to%20Coast%20to%20Coast%20in%2045%20days/IMG_7508.jpg.html][/URL

It was on interstate 412 around an area called Gloss Mountain. Kind of in the middle of the oil and natural gas fields, They remind me of mini red rock towers in Moab!

So we stop this evening in Guymon Oklahoma, a nice little RV park with a drive in theater, go figure!
More Tomorrow,
Marcia and Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-20-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

Sorry we didn't get to visit too, but glad you got to hang out with Poprivet! He's a heck of a good guy! I've actually gotten to crawl with him a couple times this year
A little late, but a couple things to know about gas and diesel. Never ever buy it from Casey's and don't go to places that have above ground tanks
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North coast? summitcrawler Oregon 1 05-12-2012 05:49 PM
Coast get Together spankrjs Mississippi 2 09-11-2008 06:30 AM
Coast boys blackcatnastang Mississippi 3 06-06-2008 10:51 PM
Anyone near the NW coast of oregon? MaxxZilla Oregon 0 11-18-2005 09:13 PM