Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #141
M J
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

Glad to see you made it home safely. The pictures are great - made me miss the vacations our family used to take when I was a kid.
M J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #142
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M J View Post
- made me miss the vacations our family used to take when I was a kid.
Same with me.

Family used to drive from California to Missouri every other summer as a kid.

Now that I have my own family, we haven't taken any kind of family vacation in the last 5 years. Not even for a couple of days.
Its sad the way times have changed and its either money or time that nobody has anymore.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Like everyone else has said, thanks for sharing your adventure. Glad it was a fun and safe trip for you and your family.

I've been east to west and back 5 times and up and down the I-5 corridor a half dozen times and almost never had the time to take a non-interstate route. I personally enjoyed seeing what I missed along the way.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Total miles driven, fuel burned, best meal, favorite state, souvenirs you brought home and when's the axle production start back up
Thanks for taking us along and I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're glad you made it home safely. Even though the trn a little bit!ip is over, I bet this thread will continue for a while
We enjoyed sharing, and I will answer all your questions in a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
The pictures are amazing. Ive traveled a lot but I was working for Waukesha and we were half awake and not paying attention to the beauty of the country we were passing through. Thanks for taking the time to post what I missed and will have to revisit these places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Thanks snapon boy, I tried to keep them interesting. Hope you share when you do!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
So glad you guys made it home safe and sound.

What an adventure! Thank you for sharing it with everyone.

I am curious about the miles driven, and fuel burned. And maybe a top 10 (or 5) location countdown, favorite being #1 of course.
Thanks Poprivet, I'm sure all of your guys positive thoughts is what helped us get home safely!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M J View Post
Glad to see you made it home safely. The pictures are great - made me miss the vacations our family used to take when I was a kid.
I'm glad we helped trigger some old memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
Same with me.

Family used to drive from California to Missouri every other summer as a kid.

Now that I have my own family, we haven't taken any kind of family vacation in the last 5 years. Not even for a couple of days.
Its sad the way times have changed and its either money or time that nobody has anymore.
Don't worry, you will get to it someday!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Like everyone else has said, thanks for sharing your adventure. Glad it was a fun and safe trip for you and your family.

I've been east to west and back 5 times and up and down the I-5 corridor a half dozen times and almost never had the time to take a non-interstate route. I personally enjoyed seeing what I missed along the way.
Promise us you will make the time to do it some day. It has to be a bucket list thing for everyone!

Ok gang, I sit here typing with mixed feelings that the trip is over already!!
We had such a great time sharing with "Y'all". (learned that in Kentucky), and so much fun on our adventure.

But first our last two days of photos on the road.

Oh I have such a great love driving a motorhome through big city freeways. (Sacramento) The only time it was worse was downtown Detroit and Tulsa!

Sad times saying good by to Nate and Thim.

We hit a huge rain storm going the Mount Shasta range north of Redding CA.

[URL=http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/ledspots/media/Coast%20to%20Coast%20to%20Coast%20in%2045%20days/IMG_7428_1.jpg.html][/URL

Does Ernie look like he's having fun!!!

I can see right now it is going to take me a couple days to get through this.

OK, some stats of you asked for.

We were gone 47 days.
We traveled 8,536 total miles.
We past through 27 states and one province, and several of the states we past through a couple times.
We went through 874 gallons of gas at a average $2.15 per gal = $1,879.
We spent 34 nights in KOA/Good Sam RV parks at average cost of $40 + $1,360.
One night in a Best Western $100 plus.
We spent a total of $453.77 on maint/service.
I will get to more tomorrow.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-31-2016 at 08:37 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Wonderful trip Ernie, felt like we were right there with you two.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for sharing pics, y'all come back now.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:24 AM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Ernie and nate must shop where I do! I have both those t shirts. Nice photos and naraitave.

snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Wonderful trip Ernie, felt like we were right there with you two.
Thanks Mike, and yes it was a very nice trip. Marcia ran some totals and we did it for $1,200 under what we planned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks for sharing pics, y'all come back now.
We will be!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Ernie and nate must shop where I do! I have both those t shirts. Nice photos and naraitave.

Actually it is Nate who did the shopping. My shirt was a gift because of my cancer, and some work I've done for him. Thanks again Nate!!!
I promise I will do a close out, but between trying to get a woodworking project done and out of my shop, and wanting to put together some pics of where Marcia and I live I haven't had time!
It is coming.
Ernie
Old 11-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #149
I wanna be Dave

No worries. My mom fought the big C and has been in remission so I try to be supportive.

snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #150
Rock Crawler

Congrats on the crossing the finish line! And under budget too! Great thread sir. Ty for documenting it
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Fuel pump and filter fix the motorhome or?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Fuel pump and filter fix the motorhome or?
Hey Nate, to be honest with you, between finishing up the woodworking project and machining Axle parts I haven't had time to get it into Eugene. (About 40 miles away). I want to do that before I winterize it!
Ernie
Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Ok, I have been very busy in my shop, and I want to use that as a excuse for not doing the close out I said I would do. But deep down it has been a fun ride with you guys and I didn't want it to end!!!!! You all have been such a great bunch of Crawler buddies.

To answer a few more questions asked; Our favorite meal was stuffed shells at the SHOME house. Vickie makes a mean stuffed shell, and I could tell it was one of Cary's favorite dishes, but then just maybe he didn't have breakfast or lunch that day.
Favorite states; 1-5 with 1 being favorite, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Michigan, and Wyoming. I would be lying if I didn't say that Oregon will always be our very favorite though!!!
Some of the things we pick up along the way; Of coarse all the stickers, some canister balls in Pennsylvania, Some old rolling pins (I wood burn on them), a old old fish skinning board, golf caps, tee shirts, books from Gettysburg, and Cody, some hand made Shaker boxes, just name a few!

If you guys have more questions please ask!!!

So now, I posted photos all along the trip of some you all's back yards, so to close out we would like you guys to see some of our back yard (Oakridge Oregon), and invite you to come see us!
Marcia and I took Jordon, our dog out to the woods today for a walk and I brought my camera along.

Our town is nestled in a little valley right at the base of the Cascade Mountains. If you head east you are only 45 minutes from the Willamette Pass Ski area that is used in the winter for skiing of course, but in the summer they will gondola mountain bikes to the top for great rides down some of the ski runs. Head west and you are 1 1/2 hours from the Pacific Ocean, and a great summer playground.
Oakridge is an old, depressed lumber town that is still trying to find its identity. It has a population of around 3500 people, down from over 5000, when logging was in its hay day!!! It is becoming a mountain biking destination place with several huge races a year. There is hundreds of miles of trails to ride your bikes on and hike!

A couple of photos our town from above our house at the air port.

All of these photos are less than 15 minutes from our driveway.

The "Office Bridge", the longest single span covered bridge in Oregon. The river running under it is the North Fork of the Willamette river and is one of three tributaries of the Willamette river that comes through Oakridge. It is one of the best fly fishing streams in our fine state. (Cutthroat Trout)

Mill workers and logging trucks both cross over this bridge when the Edward Hines Lumber Company was in full production! This bridge is also one of my favorite subjects for wood burning pieces.

Next is Circle Bar Golf coarse, one of my and Marcia's favorite places in the spring and summer.

One of my favorite crawling spots. Five minutes from my driveway!

These photos are at a camp ground 15 minutes away from our house.

Jordon had a ball!!!! he loves running in the woods

And few shots of my back yard crawling rocks, better known as Marcia's Rock Garden!

[URL=http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/ledspots/media/rock%20crawling/IMG_2939.jpg.html][/URL

Dry river bed, and headed toward the pond!

In front of the pond.

Now, if all of that doesn't make you want to come see us I give up!!!!!

Thanks for traveling with us for 47 days, and 8,500 miles. And if Jon (Jeepiac) comes up with the funding we will be able to do it next year, right Jon!!!
All kidding aside, I think we might do the same thing to Alaska next year, time will tell.
Marcia and Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 11-10-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #154
I wanna be Dave

As much as the pics of your road trip are enjoyed, you have some spectacular natural beauty right at your door steps!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #155
Quarry Creeper

^^No kidding! That's Oregon I assume? It's gorgeous, I actually have family in Medford, never been that far out west though. I'm really glad you guys had such a great trip, and thanks for taking all the time to do the pics and write ups for us, I know first hand a lot of times, you're wrapped up in enjoying things and it seems like work.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

That's such a beautiful area around your home Ernie
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
As much as the pics of your road trip are enjoyed, you have some spectacular natural beauty right at your door steps!
Thanks BigSki, yes we do have some beautiful country around us. I always say it is like having your cake and eating too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
^^No kidding! That's Oregon I assume? It's gorgeous, I actually have family in Medford, never been that far out west though. I'm really glad you guys had such a great trip, and thanks for taking all the time to do the pics and write ups for us, I know first hand a lot of times, you're wrapped up in enjoying things and it seems like work.
Hey hpiguy, thanks for the kind words. Yes it is in Oregon. My son and his family live in the Medford area, Eagle Point to be exact. Yes it did take a little effort to post photos and write a little bit, but reading all of you guys comments made it all worth while!
You need to put a trip to Oregon on your bucket list, cause you don't know what your missing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
That's such a beautiful area around your home Ernie
Thanks Mike, I worked in the woods you see in the photos for 20 years as a COR and restoration project planner, so that was my office half the time!!! And to think I retired early because of all the government red tape it was taking to do a project, but I loved the actual projects, and working with contractors!!!
Ernie
Old 11-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #158
Rock Crawler

Been slipping behind and just now catching up on some of my favorite threads. Your trip has really been something and it's really got me thinking on how I could take a trip like this. Well, maybe not 47 days lol, but a decent trek through a few states. Looking at all the beautiful sights has almost got me feeling jealous. Specially since I'm here in Northwest Missouri. Not an overly pretty part of the country at all. We do have a lot of nice stains on the highways from all the deer that have been getting hit since the season has opened though Anyway, thanks again, Ernie for taking us along on this awesome adventure. Now get that new build thread started
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Ben, glad I rattled your cage!!!! You had better put the Northwest on your list of places to visit!
Ernie
Old 09-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Ok guys, stay tuned, Coast to Coast V2 starts next week! Over 9,000 miles in 63 days
Marcia and Ernie

Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North coast? summitcrawler Oregon 1 05-12-2012 05:49 PM
Coast get Together spankrjs Mississippi 2 09-11-2008 06:30 AM
Coast boys blackcatnastang Mississippi 3 06-06-2008 10:51 PM
Anyone near the NW coast of oregon? MaxxZilla Oregon 0 11-18-2005 09:13 PM