Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
I have always loved Crazy Woman Canyon. THAT is a gorgeous part of Wyoming. Wind Rivers, Vedauwoo and Togwotwee are also all very nice. The best parts of this state are unheard of. Check out Sinks Canyon, as well, if you're ever in the area.
I'll keep all that in mind for my next trip, thanks.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Ernie, if you get into Southwestern PA, shoot me a pm, I can point ya to a few things you'll wanna see near ohiopyle...
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Awesome thread, I'm in to watch!! Drive safe
glondark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Awesome thread and pics, I want to do this someday, been all over the US, but need to take weeks or months and do it in a motorhome!

BTW you gotta go to the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wyoming...awesome place and the geology is cool too!

Subbed.
Thanks Nate I would highly recommend it. Is this the place you're talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The photos are amazing! Absolutely beautiful!
Thanks Tim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
Definitely keep this thread going, because you are doing what all of us dream of doing someday.
I will keep going as long as I don't think I boring you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M J View Post
Wow - really cool. I miss those long road trips. You guys stay safe and we will all be waiting for updates!
Hi M J, Sounds like it's time for you to plan a road trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I am personally loving it ! Last year we got treated to CrawlinMike and his epic motor cycle trip with he and his wife. Having lived in the PNW and Rocky mt region, just seeing a pic of the beauty on your trip makes me want to just get up and leave everything behind and go back to Colorado!
Now BigSki, what's stopping you? All kidding aside, it has been great so for. We are in Greybull Wyoming this evening. We are running on HWY 14 and will be going through the Big Horn Mountains tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing! I was out in Wyoming a few years ago, hit Yellowstone and all that. Really wanted to make it up to Cody and do the Chief Joseph scenic byway, and Absorka Beartooth wilderness area, but never made it.
Cody is a great place to visit, especially when have as great a family as we had to stay with. We have known them for over 40 years and they are Wyoming cowboys and girls from the word go (we were having so much fun, we stayed a extra day). Father and son are out fitter hunting guides, among many other skills so if you want to go into wilderness hunting we can fix you up!!!
Next big stop will be MT Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
this is a good thread. i love to drive and see the country.
Me Too...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
It really is! My "office" was on a horse's back. No corner office for that job! Oh, to be young, again...

I have always loved Crazy Woman Canyon. THAT is a gorgeous part of Wyoming. Wind Rivers, Vedauwoo and Togwotwee are also all very nice. The best parts of this state are unheard of. Check out Sinks Canyon, as well, if you're ever in the area.
Their ranch cabin.

You would have fit right in with us this last few days. Spent two half days at the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum!
Thanks for the suggestions, We asked our friends about all those place and they said they are fantastic, but I don't really want to take our motorhome on some of those roads. On our route tomorrow we will have some great views!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I'll keep all that in mind for my next trip, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Ernie, if you get into Southwestern PA, shoot me a pm, I can point ya to a few things you'll wanna see near ohiopyle...
Thanks rags6 I will put you on my list of contacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glondark View Post
Awesome thread, I'm in to watch!! Drive safe
Thanks for the good wishes, very much appreciated!!

Now to a few photos. I thought about you fire arms guys today so hope you like some of the pics!

So came around the corner today and saw these to guys fighting (the Grizz won but it was tooth and nail for a while, pun intended.

This guy chowing down on a deer;

And this guy just looking mean and ornery!

We were nearly eaten by a saber tooth tiger who look very very hungry.

Yeah yeah, you caught me, But I had to try!! What a great museum, if you haven't been here, you need to put it on your bucket list!

Now to the gun photos, I will just let them speak for themselves.

These two are a machine shop for making barrels and rifling them.

Presidents guns.

I had no idea they made air rifles in the 1800s.

We will be adding to this!

And our tiny home in Greybull Wyoming. Your are going to hate your self if you don't put this place on your bucket list. Right Nate?
Later gang,
Ernie and Marcia.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-24-2016 at 07:04 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Yes sir, that's the place! Can easily spend a whole day at Buffalo Bill Cody museum. Omg the sweet gun collection.

Nice stickers!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:55 AM   #26
RCC Addict

What an awesome trip. How cool to be able to take your time, see a vast majority of the U.S., sights, food, friends, scenery.....very cool! Hope you guys make it to Michigan, looking forward to meeting you both. Great photos and narratives, thanks for sharing. Subbed!
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
What an awesome trip. How cool to be able to take your time, see a vast majority of the U.S., sights, food, friends, scenery.....very cool! Hope you guys make it to Michigan, looking forward to meeting you both. Great photos and narratives, thanks for sharing. Subbed!
Thanks Scott, Marcia and I are having a great time on this trip!!!
Not many photos today, we were under clouds with some showers today. We pulled out of Greybull this morning on Hwy 14, headed southeast. Within the hour the Bighorn Mountains were looming ahead of us.

This is a couple photos of Shell creek canyon just as we are starting our ascent.

This is a shot of the other side of the canyon, so beautiful!!!

This is still shell Creek, but about 2/3 of the way up the ascent. 20-35 mph switch backs with a 8% grade at times.

Mother nature has started painting her palette of fall colors up here (7800ft).
Right after we took these photos we started getting mixed rain showers so that is all the pics for today.
If you have never been to the Bighorns, another thing to put on your bucket list!! Seems like we climbed for ever, my Ford V10 was putting some of those Dodge and Chevys to shame. We finally reached the summit (9033ft), and it opened up into a range type plateau. Great cattle country, but all this time the only critters we saw were Black angus and antelope.
Our decent was very interesting, we dropped into the clouds and so we were in a soupy fog the whole way off the mountain, and the same 20-25 mph switch backs with the fog so thick you could hardly see the edge of the road.
We made it down safe and sound and continued on our merry way. Our route took us though Sheridan, Buffalo and we are in Gillette for the night.
Tomorrow and Saturday we will be staying in Hills City and plan on seeing Sturgis, Mount Rushmore and The Crazy Horse monument.
Ernie
Old 09-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

If you get the chance, driving through Laramie and the Medicine Bow mountain range isn't too bad. I never cared for Cheyenne, too flat and windy although the Union Pacific railroad museum is interesting if you're into railroad equipment.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
If you get the chance, driving through Laramie and the Medicine Bow mountain range isn't too bad. I never cared for Cheyenne, too flat and windy although the Union Pacific railroad museum is interesting if you're into railroad equipment.
Thanks for the info, we are headed into South Dakota this morning.
Ernie
Old 09-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I guess I should keep these short and sweet! Went through Sturgis today, not a bike guy, but have a friend at home who is, so stop to pick up a tee-shirt for him and a travel sticker for the motor. Bet this was a lively place earlier this summer.

A few pics of Mount Rushmore. Must see, put it on your bucket list.

And some ideals that these four presidents thought was important for our great country to survive! It seems that just a couple people have forgotten what "Honor, Integrity, and love of our Country is"!

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-23-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I was at Rushmore in 2004 and loved it and the area. That's on top of my list to revisit some day.

Did you make it to crazy horse?
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
I was at Rushmore in 2004 and loved it and the area. That's on top of my list to revisit some day.

Did you make it to crazy horse?
We are headed there tomorrow, will put up some photos at the end of the day. Any thing you want pics of?

Ernie
Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #33

it blows my mind how some people consider travel to be sitting in a metal tube for hours and going someplace where you need a book to understand the language and your money isnt any good... f that. gimme a vehicle and a direction and there is SO much to see just driving on blue highways.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

"I had no idea they made air rifles in the 1800s."

Airguns was what Lewis and Clark used on their expedition in 1804

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_...ark_Expedition

" wiki " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun

carried a reservoir air gun. It held 22 .46 caliber round balls in a tubular magazine mounted on the side of the barrel. The butt served as the air reservoir and had a working pressure of 800 psi (5,500 kPa). The rifle was said to be capable of 22 aimed shots per minute and had a rifled bore of 0.452 in (11.5 mm) and a groove diameter 0.462 in (11.7 mm).

Last edited by Peaker; 09-24-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
it blows my mind how some people consider travel to be sitting in a metal tube for hours and going someplace where you need a book to understand the language and your money isnt any good... f that. gimme a vehicle and a direction and there is SO much to see just driving on blue highways.
In our our 47 years of marriage Marcia and I have flown back to the East coast, and have driven as far as Colorado, So thought it was time to see everything in between all those coast to coast flights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
"I had no idea they made air rifles in the 1800s."

Airguns was what Lewis and Clark used on their expedition in 1804

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_...ark_Expedition

" wiki " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun

carried a reservoir air gun. It held 22 .46 caliber round balls in a tubular magazine mounted on the side of the barrel. The butt served as the air reservoir and had a working pressure of 800 psi (5,500 kPa). The rifle was said to be capable of 22 aimed shots per minute and had a rifled bore of 0.452 in (11.5 mm) and a groove diameter 0.462 in (11.7 mm).
Thanks for the info Peaker, some good "stuff" there!

Ok, day 11 of the trip and it turned out to be very interesting, and a lesson learned!!! But I will get to that later.
Stayed last night in a very nice campground in Hills City South Dakota. Had an amazingly strong thunder storm most of the night, with lots of rain!!!

Marcia and I had challenged ourselves to get on the road a little earlier this morning to get the Crazy Horse Memorial as soon as it opened! Bad mistake, we arrived to a very heavy fog!! "Guess we will need to buy a post card to show we were there" I thought. We even got in for half price because it was fogged in. So we entered the memorial and we saw that the film explaining the history of the sculptor was beginning in a few minutes so we decided to start there. It was 22 minutes long and had a lot of great facts, but even greater was what we saw when we walked out of the theater!!! Sun shine and blue sky, Crazy Horse was looking after us.

These two are commemorative rifles of Crazy Horse, beautiful in graving!

Some tools and scale casts used to carve on the mountain.

And for you bike guys, an amazing commemorative Crazy Horse Bike!

Now to the lesson learned part of the day.

Why is Marcia sitting outside the motorhome instead of the nice warm seat inside??? Yep you guessed it, I left the keys in the ignition and Marcia decided she didn't want to take her purse with her inside. (The purse that had the second set keys). 2 1/2 hours later two nice young men showed up in a pick-up and took exactly 30 seconds to get our keys for us!!!

Ok back on our merry way, headed into Custer State park. Saw this big guy along the way.

And burros that were turned lose in the park years ago. They had been used for packing clients into remote areas of the park.

So we are finishing the day in Hot Springs South Dakota! Headed to North Platte Nebraska to visit familyTomorrow.
From there we are going to point the motorhome in joe122s direction in Michigan.
Thanks for looking
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-26-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Day 13 already, time really does fly when your having fun!!!
We left North Platte this morning headed toward Iowa. I didn't realize that northwestern Nebraska was mostly all plains country and as we move into the heart of the state about all we saw was the three Cs, Corn, Cattle, and Coyotes. (We are just spoiled living in the Northwest!) It is nice country, in its own way.
As we got farther east we started seeing more hardwoods, and the motor home actually shifted down twice climbing a couple rolls in the road!!
No photos of interest from the last two days. Rolled into a beautiful state campground near the town of Missouri Valley Iowa. Maybe more later, you all have fun at work tomorrow.
Ernie and Marcia

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-26-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Ok folks, day 14. Today was our longest day of driving so for on the trip. We drove all the way across Iowa and into Illinois to North Utica. About 400 miles. So once we did all of our hook ups for the motor home I took some time for art work. We have a art show to attend when we get back home in November, so I brought several pieces along to work on.
Here is one of my favorite subjects to work on.

This a Logger Head sea turtle and the medium I use is Pyrographics (wood burning). The bowl is Oregon Myrtle wood and yes I have a wood lathe along with my metal lathe. This hobby comes close to paying for my RC hobby! I should finish tonight and will post pic of the it tomorrow.
That's all for today folks,
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-27-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

That is amazing! You are truly a man of many talents.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Very nice Ernie.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:53 AM   #40
RCC Addict

A man of many talents.....that is very cool Ernie.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North coast? summitcrawler Oregon 1 05-12-2012 05:49 PM
Coast get Together spankrjs Mississippi 2 09-11-2008 06:30 AM
Coast boys blackcatnastang Mississippi 3 06-06-2008 10:51 PM
Anyone near the NW coast of oregon? MaxxZilla Oregon 0 11-18-2005 09:13 PM