Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

I wasn't sure I was going to do this, but some of you guys thought it would be fun to follow Me and Marcia on our Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days trip!
And for someone who thinks my house may be easy pickins while we are gone, we have a house sitter who is taking care of our 110 pound weimaraner who packs a 38.

This is our tiny house for the next 6 weeks or more.

We started our journey from home on September 14th and intend on taking a northern route to the east coast. I plan on doing some crawling with My ascender K10 along the way, so some crawling pics will be posted.
We spent our first night near The Dalles in the Columbia Gorge, This was a nice sunset photo.

Second night we stayed on the Clearwater River in Orofino Idaho. No crawling spots here, but plenty of little biting gnats called no-see-ums.

Last night we stayed with some good friends in Clancy Montana, a small town south of Helena.

We loaded up this morning and headed to our next stop, which we have no idea where it would be. You see, we have no plans for day to day stops and no schedule!! Great huh?
So we ended our day on US highway 287 at Hebgen Lake just on the outskirts of West Yellowstone, Montana. Our route today took us through the Madison Valley and the (famous for some the best fly fishing in the US) Madison river!
We took some interesting photos today, this set is the Madison, what a beautiful river, these don't do it justice, but i'm sure we will have more.

Next is a place called Earthquake Lake. I guess this was a river valley with camp sites along a small lake there, and one morning in 1959 they had a huge earthquake. The quake caused the water in the lake to shift from valley edge to valley edge killing most of the campers and these trees submerged.

And lastly for today we finished with this guy.

Before we left home we commissioned a agent to have animals staged along our route for photos, so this was our 10 minutes with this guy. He was so funny, calling, kicking up his heels and running, posing and running around. We got our moneys worth from him. He gets a big tip at the end of the month.

This had to hurt!!!!!

Ok, all for today, more tomorrow.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-17-2016 at 07:29 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!!

Sweet pics! Hope to someday do a coast to coast, but my retirement is at least 15 years away haha. Still... Taking notes on some areas to visit
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would love to do the same but lasting 6 months, need to get under the skin of those Americans and see what make them tick.
And off course take in the awesome vistas you guys have all over the place.

Met some American tourists here a while back, they loved it but " its pretty flat"

And for some reason thy insisted i must be American and from Bozeman Montana i was like noooo born and raised here im afraid.

Nice ppl treated me to dinner for a little info on this place.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #4

This sounds like an awesome time. Great photos. If you ever want to "adopt" a 39 year old "grandson" I'd love to come along for the ride!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Sweet pics! Hope to someday do a coast to coast, but my retirement is at least 15 years away haha. Still... Taking notes on some areas to visit
Hey rags6, thanks for giving your input, I was afraid everyone would think this was stupid posting our trip. I hope it does help you out. And the 15 years will go faster than you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
I would love to do the same but lasting 6 months, need to get under the skin of those Americans and see what make them tick.
And off course take in the awesome vistas you guys have all over the place.

Met some American tourists here a while back, they loved it but " its pretty flat"

And for some reason thy insisted i must be American and from Bozeman Montana i was like noooo born and raised here im afraid.

Nice ppl treated me to dinner for a little info on this place.
Well Peaker, when you decide to make that trip look me up we can show you some beautiful places in the Pacific Northwest!!!!
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This sounds like an awesome time. Great photos. If you ever want to "adopt" a 39 year old "grandson" I'd love to come along for the ride!
Hi Tim, having a great time and our Motor home only sleeps two! You would have to sleep out in the weather, and it did rain last night and was in the low 40s.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

Haha. That would be too cold for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Ok, it is day 5 of our trip. So after I post photos of the trip today I won't have to post anymore because they would be anticlimactic. We started the day just outside of Yellowstone Park. This is our third trip here so we thought we might just breeze through and not take any "tourist photos" but I couldn't resist. The only part of the park we haven't been to is the East entrance " The Fishing Bridge" that had a "no fishing from the bridge sign" on it, go figure, so since the road was closed to my favorite part of the park, Mammoth, and Gardiner " the north entrance, we took the No Fishing route. So we entered the park at West Yellowstone and followed the Madison River through the Madison valley. Lots of fly fishermen!

I swear this guy had a fly pole in the water when we stopped to take a photo. By the time we got the cameras out the pole was gone and he was bedded down!!!

A view of one of the thousands of geysers in the park.

A couple photos of the 136 square mile Yellowstone Lake.

Yes it was very windy!

Wait!!!! don't go yet, I'm getting to the good photos!!!

This was Mother Nature doing a forest thinning project.

Ok, so here they come. We had just reached an elevation of about 8650 and came around a corner to what looked like a parking lot on the side of the road. If you have been to Yellowstone before you know they are all stopped for something good (As in wildlife)!
I'm going to show all of these, a grizzly and her last year cub!!

The cub digging in a root wad for grubs.

Momma.

Both together.

The little guy! Notice the flower in his mouth!

And two of Mamma Bear.

I told Marcia that this was the Willie Mays rookie card of Photo opps!!
Once in a lifetime!!!!

When we left the bears we headed out of Yellowstone and toward Cody Wyoming to visit some friends. The geology of this country really fascinated me.

And last for today is Buffalo Bill Dam.

Maybe more on Tuesday.
Ernie
Old 09-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

That's Fantastic !! What a great way to see the country. Hope you guys have a wonderful, SAFE trip.
Keep sharing the good times and great pictures.

dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I know where all of those pics were taken! Lived and worked in that area for awhile. Nice pics.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice trip so far ! How many states do you plan on touching ?
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Amazing Ernie! Really great pictures. Thanks for taking us with you.

P.s. do not feed the bears.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
That's Fantastic !! What a great way to see the country. Hope you guys have a wonderful, SAFE trip.
Keep sharing the good times and great pictures.

Hey Doc, thanks for taking a look and all the good wishes. I don't know if we will be able to top yesterday but we will see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
I know where all of those pics were taken! Lived and worked in that area for awhile. Nice pics.
What a great place to have your "office".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Nice trip so far ! How many states do you plan on touching ?
Hey Kev, it has been a good trip so far. We have no idea how many states we will pass through. From here we are doing the Dakotas, Nebraska, Michigan to see Joe122, into Canada to Niagara Falls, up into New York, and on our way to New Hampshire and Maine. Have friends, family and RCC friends to meet all along the way. Next down to Pennsylvania (Marcia's home state, maybe a week. From there the Carolinas and once we leave there We have no idea, only our route will take us through Missouri and Oklahoma to see Jeepiac and Poprivet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
Amazing Ernie! Really great pictures. Thanks for taking us with you.

P.s. do not feed the bears.
Hey Bud, thanks, photography is a hobby Marcia and I share. Believe me the photos were taken with a 300 lens and cropped on the computer. Later all, no pics tonight, spending the day with friends.
Ernie.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Awesome thread and pics, I want to do this someday, been all over the US, but need to take weeks or months and do it in a motorhome!

BTW you gotta go to the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wyoming...awesome place and the geology is cool too!

Subbed.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #14

The photos are amazing! Absolutely beautiful!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Definitely keep this thread going, because you are doing what all of us dream of doing someday.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
M J
Rock Stacker

Wow - really cool. I miss those long road trips. You guys stay safe and we will all be waiting for updates!
M J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey rags6, thanks for giving your input, I was afraid everyone would think this was stupid posting our trip.
I am personally loving it ! Last year we got treated to CrawlinMike and his epic motor cycle trip with he and his wife. Having lived in the PNW and Rocky mt region, just seeing a pic of the beauty on your trip makes me want to just get up and leave everything behind and go back to Colorado!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing! I was out in Wyoming a few years ago, hit Yellowstone and all that. Really wanted to make it up to Cody and do the Chief Joseph scenic byway, and Absorka Beartooth wilderness area, but never made it.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #19

this is a good thread. i love to drive and see the country.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:52 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
What a great place to have your "office".
It really is! My "office" was on a horse's back. No corner office for that job! Oh, to be young, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing! I was out in Wyoming a few years ago, hit Yellowstone and all that. Really wanted to make it up to Cody and do the Chief Joseph scenic byway, and Absorka Beartooth wilderness area, but never made it.
I have always loved Crazy Woman Canyon. THAT is a gorgeous part of Wyoming. Wind Rivers, Vedauwoo and Togwotwee are also all very nice. The best parts of this state are unheard of. Check out Sinks Canyon, as well, if you're ever in the area.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy Coast to Coast to Coast in 45 days!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North coast? summitcrawler Oregon 1 05-12-2012 05:49 PM
Coast get Together spankrjs Mississippi 2 09-11-2008 06:30 AM
Coast boys blackcatnastang Mississippi 3 06-06-2008 10:51 PM
Anyone near the NW coast of oregon? MaxxZilla Oregon 0 11-18-2005 09:13 PM