Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The official "I'm tired of Microsoft's Win Update BS" thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default The official "I'm tired of Microsoft's Win Update BS" thread

I run stuff that often has to run overnight, and won't automatically save. So, why is it that Windows now refuses to allow me to control when, and how, updates are installed? I get that tons and tons of people on the internet are totally stupid and refuse to voluntarily install updates, and because of that, 90% of the internet is part of some kind of massive botnet or whatever.

But seriously, if MS wants me to continue to use Windows 10, this is NOT the way to do it. I have a valid copy of Win 8.1, and I'm seriously thinking about going back to it.

Next time I'm halfway through a 3 day project and my PC automatically reboots, I'm going back to 8.1.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The official "I'm tired of Microsoft's Win Update BS" thread

8 is worse than 10 in many ways, all that stuff can be turned off in the settings via control panel. If you revert, go back to 7 Pro 64bit. Cortana and other junk can be uninstalled too, if you use an uninstaller other than M$.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Has anybody noticed that, software makers tend to lack a touch of reality from the users prespective? Not just the issue mentioned by OP, but when MS Excel is upgraded to a newer version, the whole tab set changes. In Siemens NX whenever they upgrade the version, the whole tab set changes. Not only that but the name for a particular operation changes too!

This is what the software makers should know....

The general public has more work and responsibilities to complete on a daily basis. Most of these users are not software professionals whose world revolves around a computer screen. If softwares are made in such a way that the user has to do a long research just to get back the command which he/she had on an earlier version...than go **** yourself. Your newer version is a burden to carry.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You need to go back to DOS with a trash 80

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

...Or spend a year researching a newer version and just when one feels at ease....here comes another new version.

Everyone can go back to using horses, because so and so tires burst at highway speeds." We the tire manufacturers cannot do anything about it because thats how the tires are and thats how they will keep rolling. Take them and risk your life on the highway, or go back to the horses"

I am saying, the tire manufacturers should make practical and WORKABLE tires.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I believe only enterprise allows for scheduling updates. User versions are forced. No way to turn it off. Welcome to software as a service.

Sent from my XT1575
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2 View Post
I believe only enterprise allows for scheduling updates. User versions are forced. No way to turn it off. Welcome to software as a service.

Sent from my XT1575
Not even a way to postpone it while your working? Like a pop up asking then just force it through if its not answered in X amount of time?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Not even a way to postpone it while your working? Like a pop up asking then just force it through if its not answered in X amount of time?
Minor updates have that, pops up after it's done installing and you can schedule the reboot. Major updates, you're screwed. In the middle of something CPU intensive that's gonna take 28 hours to complete? You're screwed.

I actually liked 8.1. And 7. Hell, other than Win ME and Win Vista, there hasn't been an OS from MS I didn't actually like. I'd even use XP still, but I don't want to deal with the security BS that accompanies it.

I guess Win 8.1 it will be. I'm probably going to be redoing my HDD setup anyway, so it would be a good time to do the reinstall.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm still running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
I'm in no hurry to change to Windows 10 either.
HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:03 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I really do like Win 10. It's a good OS, and until the last forced update, I was actually happy to keep it. This update thing, and the updates themselves, have killed it for me. As have some perpetually broken drivers.

I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and 8.1 64 bit.

While on that note, I am actually thinking about building a second PC for messing around, and keeping my main rig for work and gaming. Probably Win 7 on the second PC, Win 8.1 on the main rig. Then there's the dual PIII 1GHZ server I have in storage with Win XP 32-bit on it... I should think about putting Win 7 32 bit on it. Hum. I also have three dual socket 940 Opteron boards... All three need new CPU's and two need new RAM (all 3 are ECC Registered required, so... Probably not for a while). Dang. I need to go through my junk in storage and toss a few old systems out.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:19 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Switch to a Mac you won't look back.
No more Windows BS!!
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:21 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
Switch to a Mac you won't look back.
No more Windows BS!!
But then he'd have a mac...

Linux [/thread]
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

Linux [/thread]
I put Linux on two of my PC's that could no longer handle the bloat of Windows. They are awesome!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

If you're a gamer, Windows is pretty much your only option I'm afraid.

Also, while I'm not a huge Windows 10 fan, you absolutely can schedule how and when it does updates.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #15

linux is an awesome OS. ubuntu is the most user friendly one. and if you really need to use windows for anything you can virtualbox any of the windows OS's right in ubuntu or any other linux os. the constant updates really sucks so when i have updates i break out the ubuntu laptop and go do what i wanted to do while the windows one does all the crappy updates that stop me from doing. best thing about linux is the security. it way harder to get viruses and malware on a linux running computer than any other. not impossible but a lot less likely.
RustedRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
If you're a gamer, Windows is pretty much your only option I'm afraid.

Also, while I'm not a huge Windows 10 fan, you absolutely can schedule how and when it does updates.
The last update removed those options, as far as I can see. All I can do is "Defer feature updates", "Change Active Hours", and "Set when automatic reboots happen". The choose how updates are delivered option actually has NO bearing on when, or how, updates are installed, just if it pushes them to other networked PC's, and 'not so anonymous' usage statistics.

Oh, and before the last update forced itself on me, I had disabled all update download and installs, but it did several anyway.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I rolled back the last update then killed the windows update in services. Now I will have to do them, because I disabled the service.

The last update turned back on the sharing of updates, deleted a couple programs I had including classic shell, and reinstalled cortana, which took me a while to figure out how to completely delete.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Side note for all the windows 10 people who hate not having a regular start button. Classic Shell is your friend.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMark View Post
I'm still running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
I'm in no hurry to change to Windows 10 either.
Same for me, my version of Solidworks was designed to run WIN 7 64 bit Pro. My 8 year old work station seems to like it as well.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

Linux [/thread]
My Mac has never once given me an iota of software issues, can't say that for Windows, had to re-format once a year generally. Unfortunately, it does have to be sent in for a hardware recall. I have one of the first Macbooks with Intel hardware inside too, conincidence? Also, Macs run a Unix kernel, same thing your beloved Linux runs on.

Also, apparently, the last Winblows 10 updates broke the drivers for; my XB1 controller, my headseat, AND it updated my graphics card drivers which I had purposely had to roll back due to issues in iRacing with the Oculus Rift. I WILL be going back to Windows 7, and having to re-download and re-configure everything. Thanks a lot Winblows!

Last edited by hpiguy; 10-02-2016 at 06:56 PM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

The official "I'm tired of Microsoft's Win Update BS" thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RCC Official "RC-Recycler" is out of his damn mind thread STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 92 12-09-2015 04:21 PM
The "Official" Fastest Wraiths on RCC thread. Calderwood Axial Wraith 77 04-02-2015 09:20 PM
Nebraska Scale Crawlers Association "official business" organization thread... JavelinSST390 Nebraska 17 01-27-2009 08:14 PM