Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 3D printable, RC motorcycles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
No idea what I'm doing

Default 3D printable, RC motorcycles

Not sure if anyone here has heard of this or not.

Brett Turnage Releases 3D Printed Functional RC Race Motorcycles on Pinshape - 3D Printing Media Network
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 3D printable, RC motorcycles

See a lot of his models in the OpenRC project.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That's cool! But having owned (and still do) RC motos, electric gyros are the way to go if there's any slow speed maneuvering to be done.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
That's cool! But having owned (and still do) RC motos, electric gyros are the way to go if there's any slow speed maneuvering to be done.
I've never seen an RC motorcycle run in person (and I've only seen the little ECX's in a display case) are they more of a novelty, or can you actually make them go where you want them to, like around a track? Just watching youtube video's, the X-rider BX4003 looks pretty damned stable, but the turning radius looks on par with a school bus. The 20+ year dirtbiker in me is absolutely intrigued, but I don't want to drop $400 to find out it's more of a hassle to run than it is fun.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've ridden motorcycles for the better part of 36 years of my 41 year life. So when I saw decent RC bikes, I just had to have one. I've had two of the now defunct, Venom / Atomik 450 bikes. One had the mechanical gyro, one had the electric gyro setup. There is no comparison at all. The electric gyro can and will go around a track, the mechanical I never could slow enough without tipping over. The electric I can drive at a walking pace and be in full control. That being said, they are a bit odd as they counter steer like a real motorcycle, so at really low speeds you need to turn the opposite of the direction you want to go. I still have the electric gyro version, but parts are really hard to come by these days. I would NOT buy any knockoff brand, period. It's more headache than you want, I assure you. Nuova Faor is the only one that still makes a decent MX / supermoto setup IMO.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #6

These 3D printed bikes are cool. I did stumble upon the page on some car site. 3D printing is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I've ridden motorcycles for the better part of 36 years of my 41 year life. So when I saw decent RC bikes, I just had to have one. I've had two of the now defunct, Venom / Atomik 450 bikes. One had the mechanical gyro, one had the electric gyro setup. There is no comparison at all. The electric gyro can and will go around a track, the mechanical I never could slow enough without tipping over. The electric I can drive at a walking pace and be in full control. That being said, they are a bit odd as they counter steer like a real motorcycle, so at really low speeds you need to turn the opposite of the direction you want to go. I still have the electric gyro version, but parts are really hard to come by these days. I would NOT buy any knockoff brand, period. It's more headache than you want, I assure you. Nuova Faor is the only one that still makes a decent MX / supermoto setup IMO.
I have not had the pleasure of driving a gyro RC motorcycle, but the ones I have driven were way too floppy and they handled nothing like a real motorcycle.

I should have picked up a Venom back in the day, but my prior experiences with RC motorcycles left a bad taste in my mouth. Plus, the Venom was overpriced in my opinion.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If you think the Venom / Atomik was overpriced, don't even look up Nuova Faor. You have to remember, it's a very tiny niche market of the RC industry. Even smaller these days, and you truly get what you pay for.

3D printable, RC motorcycles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dying Light 3d printable figurine 4wd4ws Chit Chat 1 01-17-2015 03:02 PM
Rc motorcycles Bagged Non Crawler RC's 4 04-11-2013 04:58 PM
Looking for a printable leaf spring chassis template dirtydave Chit Chat 0 04-24-2010 08:46 AM
Printable View? _BEN_ Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 12-10-2007 01:06 PM
Anyone into RC Motorcycles? Harley Chit Chat 10 08-14-2007 04:34 PM