Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Hobby people??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Hobby people??

is it true it's going out of business as there add says?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Default Re: Hobby people??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
is it true it's going out of business as there add says?
Most likely. There's a total of 8 stores left. There were 26.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

That's what happens when you sell junk toys (DHK and the other crap) as hobby grade vehicles and don't offer competitive pricing on your other stuff.

This hobby seems to be in another downswing and if companies can't offer competitive prices and something to set them apart from the competition they simply aren't going to last.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

All I ever saw was scrap book supplies and wooden dowels and foam balls and cones and glitter and glue and stuff like that.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

bought my rc F-16 from they. had the best deal and offered the airframe only so i could design my own power setup.

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Who cares and that sounds like shit. F

I'd dislike that video but that's too much effort.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Doesn't surprise me. There were a couple here in the Vegas area but they both closed within the past year.

The one close to me had hardly anything of value in there. Just toys, models, and a few RCs in boxes way up on a shelf where you couldn't see/touch them. Then in came a good manager who started turning the place around. He had started stocking lots of crawler stuff from Axial, Proline, RC4WD, and he was willing to work with us on prices. He even registered on here and all the local FB groups to see what kind of stuff he should carry...Then one day they told him they were closing for good that afternoon and they took all their stuff to CA.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

Hobby People? Or Hobby Town?

Never saw RC stuff in a Hobby Poople.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Hobby People. They used to be pretty big. I remember ordering parts for my HPI Savage from their online store ages ago too (2003ish)

The Hobby Town here doesn't have much RC stuff either. Mostly dolls, railroad stuff, models, and paint.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I can remember going in a Hobby People somewhere in LA back in 2001-2002. It sucked but I got a good deal on a clearance OS Engine there. Surprised they lasted at all, especially with the decent shops around Socal.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Hobby People? Or Hobby Town?

Never saw RC stuff in a Hobby Poople.
I think you are thinking of Hobby Lobby. Hobby Poeple was only in CA and I think one or two stores in Vegas.
Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
MODERATOR™

You might be right, there. Old lady employees and craft supplies and no one in the store that was huge and had way too much crap. I could look it up but meh.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
You might be right, there. Old lady employees and craft supplies and no one in the store that was huge and had way too much crap. I could look it up but meh.

yup, that describes our local hobby lobby to a tee.....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Although I hate to see another hobby store close- I did not like them. There's one by my house, I had been going ther since a kid, and only remember once out of maybe 100+ visits having good service. Aside from that, every visit was always horrible. Everyone was always rude, or made my wait ridiculous times even when there was no one else waiting. It was pretty well stocked too, but took way too long to ask anyone to find the part.

I've been going to Ultimate Hobbies, sometimes the wait is a little long. But every trip has been positive for me there. People are much more knowledgeable. Another hobby store I liked, was Hobby Warehouse. Always had great service- HOWEVER there were two brothers there that always got into a fight with one another right in front of customers. While entertaining to see one brother take a swing in a small workspace, to getting head locked shortly after, it was real unprofessional. Ultimate Hobbies has been the most consistent so far, very polite people and no fighting among employees.

Online market has definitely shut down a lot of businesses. Convenience of the internet will bite us in the ass one day, when we can't run to the store real quick for something and can't get to a computer or wait.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

if people would stop buying hobbywing stuff, companies like novak still could possibly exist. or castle would just be richer. either or.

whats hobby people?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
if people would stop buying hobbywing stuff, companies like novak still could possibly exist. or castle would just be richer. either or.

whats hobby people?
HobbyWing is a legit manufacturer that makes everything from top-tier, world-class products to budget basher stuff. But all of it is good and reliable.

Were you thinking HobbyKing? The funny thing is that HobbyKing makes great products these days that are not clones. There's a reason countless people in RC use their motors, LiPos, etc. And HobbyKing gives back to the RC industry more than the majority of LHS. They just focus more on the air segment of RC.

LHS are going out of business because most of them suck. I'm not sure why people can't just own up to that fact. The owners/workers in most stores don't know and don't care about RC and their prices are outrageous.

Novak failed because they sucked in the brushless era. They were amazing in the brushed era and I'm sad that they're gone. But the fact is that they couldn't keep up with the competition with their brushless products. If they had great products they'd still be here today. Don't blame the competition for the failure of Novak.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-17-2017 at 07:51 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

LHS are going out of business because most of them suck. I'm not sure why people can't just own up to that fact. The owners/workers in most stores don't know and don't care about RC and their prices are outrageous.

Could be your area .... I've traveled coast to coast and I've found shops in Jersey to Cali that rock and the staff kicks ass due to knowledge and participation.

Most here are airplane and boaters in RC, I get lots of good advice and get most stuff ordered out in 3 days

If we don't TALK to them they won't service us

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I use hobby king lipo's. they are just relabled smc batteries. and from what ive seen a hobbywing esc is a mix of horizon and castle. and a little bit of tekin.

im sorry if I offend anybody, but I only buy name brand stuff. nankin hobby racing team is actually used to test what smc sends us, and in return we give feedback to as weather he wants to sell them as is or not. we have had a lot of illegal roar batts come to us. its all fun when somebody on our team sets the best lap record out of all classes with a 4x4sct with an illegal battery.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #19
RCC Addict

He must have cleaned the body with lacquer thinner to be more aerodynamic, not the battery's fault
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Although I hate to see another hobby store close- I did not like them. There's one by my house, I had been going ther since a kid, and only remember once out of maybe 100+ visits having good service. Aside from that, every visit was always horrible. Everyone was always rude, or made my wait ridiculous times even when there was no one else waiting. It was pretty well stocked too, but took way too long to ask anyone to find the part.

I've been going to Ultimate Hobbies, sometimes the wait is a little long. But every trip has been positive for me there. People are much more knowledgeable. Another hobby store I liked, was Hobby Warehouse. Always had great service- HOWEVER there were two brothers there that always got into a fight with one another right in front of customers. While entertaining to see one brother take a swing in a small workspace, to getting head locked shortly after, it was real unprofessional. Ultimate Hobbies has been the most consistent so far, very polite people and no fighting among employees.

Online market has definitely shut down a lot of businesses. Convenience of the internet will bite us in the ass one day, when we can't run to the store real quick for something and can't get to a computer or wait.
I loved Ultimate Hobbies when I was out there. Never have seen the new location though. There website unfortunately has never been great.

I agree with the other sentiment that most LHS's suck. High prices, elitist attitudes with very little real knowledge.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobby people?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobby People Lipos = CHEAP 11.99 ser3100 Electronics 3 01-01-2011 11:04 AM
Hobby People Carries Axial AX-10 Kingofthehill Chit Chat 26 11-21-2007 04:24 PM
Hobby People SALE CRF450R Chit Chat 5 11-23-2006 09:03 PM
Anyone had any problems with hobby people scalecrawler Chit Chat 8 07-16-2006 08:22 PM