Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Is it just me, or is axial overpriced?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Is it just me, or is axial overpriced?

So another aspect of perceived value is parts support and availability, both original parts, and aftermarket.

I've recently been lusting after a Kyosho Foxx VE, but I ended up buying another Axial Wraith (even though I bought and sold one last year) instead. The Wraith will be more expensive to get on par with the Foxx for the same intended usage, but I can easily get any part that I break and aftermarket options are endless... the Kyosho? Not so much.

That situation is much the same as the scx10 vs Vaterra. One could argue that the Vaterra does not need as much upgrading, but at the end of the day the options are just not as plentiful as they are for the Axial.

Here's another one, look at the Losi Baja Rey/ Rock Rey vs Axial Yeti/SCORE. Same thing, the Horizon product is better out of the box, but the parts availability and aftermarket is no doubt better for the Hobbico product. Perhaps that is the business model? I bought the Losi in that scenario, simply because it "spoke" to me.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #22

axial isnt always the best when it comes to replacement parts.

its kinda like they figure they already got the 400 bucks from ya already for a 10.2, so you can wait until they finish up the little yeti project before they get back to making more parts for one.

or similarly, those who bought yetis just had to wait until axial pimped out the yetixl before they got their 2speeds or hopup parts. ssd beat them to their own optional parts. they got the truck, engineered the 2speed, got it out for sale before axial. thats kinda pathetic.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
So another aspect of perceived value is parts support and availability, both original parts, and aftermarket.

That situation is much the same as the scx10 vs Vaterra. One could argue that the Vaterra does not need as much upgrading, but at the end of the day the options are just not as plentiful as they are for the Axial.

Here's another one, look at the Losi Baja Rey/ Rock Rey vs Axial Yeti/SCORE. Same thing, the Horizon product is better out of the box, but the parts availability and aftermarket is no doubt better for the Hobbico product. Perhaps that is the business model? I bought the Losi in that scenario, simply because it "spoke" to me.
At least in terms of the "rey"s from Losi there are already a few upgrade items from losi for the trucks to replace some of the plastics. Then there are a few small companies are making products for them as well. One such is metal concepts (who also works with the yeti) such as third axles members for the trucks. Heck BGR just posted that they are no longer looking to work on the Score truck, instead they want to create parts for the Baja Rey.

While I will agree there a fewer options as of right now, there are alot of people stepping up with aftermarket parts for Losi/Vaterra. Even Vanquish/Incision is in the process of making parts for both Losi/Vaterra or already selling them.

I actually got ride of my Yeti recently and replaced it with a Rock Rey. No amount of aftermarket parts could get me to keep that darn thing.

Don't get me wrong I have axial trucks and I love them, but there are plenty of other trucks out there.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Don't seem to have any trouble selling their trucks, so I'd say no

Valuation is very subjective....
It would be interesting to see the sales figures on the SCX10 II. HobbiCo appears to be struggling financially right now and I don't know the cause. Also, it's impossible to get some Axial parts right now.

Very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
The price difference here in the UK is massive compared to that between the two. The Ascender is really picking up popularity quickly over here and at almost $100 price difference between it and the SCX10 II i can see more people going the Vatterra route in the long term unless there's a drastic price change when we finally leave the EU.

Prices to buy here when converted to US $

Ascender Blazer Kit: $292
Ascender Bronco RTR: $341

SCX10 II Kit: $389
SCX10 II RTR: $450

SCX10 Deadbolt RTR: $352

Even the original SCX10 RTR is more expensive than an Ascender. Same same with the rest of the lineup. Wraith, Bomber, Yeti etc.
That's insane. I don't understand those price differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post

I've recently been lusting after a Kyosho Foxx VE, but I ended up buying another Axial Wraith (even though I bought and sold one last year) instead. The Wraith will be more expensive to get on par with the Foxx for the same intended usage, but I can easily get any part that I break and aftermarket options are endless... the Kyosho? Not so much.

The Ascender aftermarket is improving daily. Even Vanquish is developing parts for them.

And I've never had replacement parts supply issues like Axial is having. Just saying...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Check what the US dollar is worth ....... molding schedules from suppliers not made in house. I have some styrene kits molded in Poland packaged in china and sold here

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #26
RCC Addict

It's just you.

It's not Axial, this entire freaking hobby is overpriced. You can't get any plastic part for less than $5, you can't get any metal part for less than $10, and you can't get any upgrade for less than $20. It adds up real quick.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:11 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

That's insane. I don't understand those price differences.
Ascender is made in Europe so with the current EU market it's cheap for shops to import in and get delivered but as the Axials come from outside the EU, there are import fees and extra taxes that get whacked on top pushing the price way up.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 AM   #28

HI guys
In France AXIAL is also overpriced for example a RTR BOMBER is 550 USD ! A A WRAITH is aproximatively 480 usd .For uppgraded it you must add for a similar amount of metal of parts tyres servo motors etc...
To drive a good bomber is an average 1000 USD !! what d you think of this 1972 Chevrolet K10 Pickup Ascender: 1/10th RTR (VTR03090): Vaterra
Markos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
Ascender is made in Europe so with the current EU market it's cheap for shops to import in and get delivered but as the Axials come from outside the EU, there are import fees and extra taxes that get whacked on top pushing the price way up.
Which parts of the Ascender are made in Europe? This is the first I'm hearing of this.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:01 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Which parts of the Ascender are made in Europe? This is the first I'm hearing of this.

I'm in the understanding the additional distribution centres in Berlin and Germany must manufacture them there or something for the ones sold in Europe.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Every country has silly import rules, look at the chicken tax in the US. "Commercial Vehicles" can't be imported(without a ridiculous tax), so they build Sprinter vans in Europe, take them apart, pack them up like a turkey, ship them here then reassemble in South Carolina

Ford bolts 3 rows of seats in the Transit, imports it, then throws the seats in the trash

Go build an 1/8 buggy and see how $400 feels. The licensed products and scale appearance add cost, time is money and all that.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #32

guys licensing doesnt always cost... sometimes all you need to do is simply ask permission and agree to run what your doing through them so they can approve in the way you are using their trademark.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #33
RCC Addict

399.00 USD X 1.34 CDN = 534.00 + customs 75.00 = 609.00 CDN,so i say yes.....

EDIT : I forgot to add shipping......35 = 46...wait that don't count.... (:

Last edited by rustneversleeps; 03-08-2017 at 11:34 AM.
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
399.00 USD X 1.34 CDN = 534.00 + customs 75.00 = 609.00 CDN,so i say yes.....
? I just bought a SCX10 II kit from my local hobby shop in Winnipeg for $520 including taxes. Stop buying from the states. The only place it was worth it was Tower but now that thay they don't accept coupons it 's not worth. Greathobbies has free shipping.
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapes View Post
? I just bought a SCX10 II kit from my local hobby shop in Winnipeg for $520 including taxes. Stop buying from the states. The only place it was worth it was Tower but now that thay they don't accept coupons it 's not worth. Greathobbies has free shipping.
This, for the Canadians anyway.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Nail'd it!

They have come a long way on their plastics for sure but for what the general population puts the trucks through, even the old stuff was pretty damn tough.

Think of it this way .... you're paying 400$ for a rtr that has more in common with the actual offroad world then an Associated B44.(what ever they are up to now) has with any racing world. You buy a buggy kit for 300$ and you get nothing but the car. You're not paying for any licensing or scalism in those, you are paying for their team guys to fly track to track and race.
first a little off topic here but ill come back round to it. your right robbybobby. we may pay for TLR or associated to fly their guys from track to track, but ive never broke parts on my tlr kits. paying 3-4 big bones on the new kits sucks, but I know ill never break a part on it unless its a a-arm.

when the rtr ax10 scorpion came out, I don't think it was to overpriced. the last rtr I bought was a bomber. I think axial should at least put unis in every rtr. they are only 25 bucks for the ar60 axle so.. just add it in.

I don't howerver remember how much my artr cost. but it did come with aluminum links.

Tamiya has the most available kits than any other rc company and is the cheapest by far when it comes to non crawlers.

but to be honest, if axial was as cheap as Tamiya I probably wouldn't buy their product.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
This, for the Canadians anyway.
Yes. Sorry. This does not apply to people living in the states.
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapes View Post
? I just bought a SCX10 II kit from my local hobby shop in Winnipeg for $520 including taxes. Stop buying from the states. The only place it was worth it was Tower but now that that they don't accept coupons it 's not worth. Greathobbies has free shipping.
Ya back in the day it was the opposite and was better to buy from the US.Maybe because it was harder to get products up here.Any who I do all my dealings with Towers and being a long time member and switch over to RC4WD for some unknown reason and i save 75.00 on RC4WD TF2 Kit but who knows how long that will last....I still own Axial rigs from day 1,but now running leafs and I'm hooked...
It's been a while since i browsed Great Hobbies I'll go check and see if i save....thanks Man..
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #39
RCC Addict

It used to not be that way but now I feel that Axial is over priced for what you get. And now that they have stopped the use of Tower coupons on Axial purchases it makes them even more over priced by comparison. Before the coupon stop I was planning on ordering another Deadbolt and a Bomber, after the stop that hasn't happened. Though I have ordered a CC01 and am getting ready to order an Ascender so I guess it all worked out ok.

Now when it comes to used I think Axials are the way to go. I have picked up used SCXv1s for very little cash. Just picked up a complete, but dirty, Yeti with a large tool box full of tools (about $150 worth) and spare parts for less than half the cost of a new Yeti.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
axial isnt always the best when it comes to replacement parts.

its kinda like they figure they already got the 400 bucks from ya already for a 10.2, so you can wait until they finish up the little yeti project before they get back to making more parts for one.

or similarly, those who bought yetis just had to wait until axial pimped out the yetixl before they got their 2speeds or hopup parts. ssd beat them to their own optional parts. they got the truck, engineered the 2speed, got it out for sale before axial. thats kinda pathetic.
Still waiting for those XR10 cutting breaks.

Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Is it just me, or is axial overpriced? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM
Overpriced dual-sport......er no? turkinworm Chit Chat 3 09-25-2010 10:32 PM