Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Is it just me, or is axial overpriced?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #61
BDR
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Is it just me, or is axial overpriced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
It's .08 over here or .04 for me due to my commercial endorsement for driving semi. So really not much different.
Can't have nothing if your driving a truck here , they did change the rules some where along the line, but yeah I have gone through a booze bus with a traveller back in my misspent youth

Who ever said Fosters was ours as well.....it aint by ****ing choice, that's cockies piss in a can we export to the poms for shits and giggles
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR View Post
Can't have nothing if your driving a truck here , they did change the rules some where along the line, but yeah I have gone through a booze bus with a traveller back in my misspent youth

Who ever said Fosters was ours as well.....it aint by ****ing choice, that's cockies piss in a can we export to the poms for shits and giggles
I didn't mean for it to sound like we can down a cold one while driving the truck. If you hold a commercial license the limit is .04, half of what it is for everyone else.

I've heard the same thing about fosters by the host of a show I listen to on sirius that is from Brisbane.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post

dont get me wrong its a cool truck, and the kit was pretty decent. but how much cooler would it be with a fwd mounted motor and maybe a full interior similar to how the wraith was done? it baffles me why there was effort put towards making the drivetrain more complicated and bulky without at least trying to make it more scale in the process. i originally assumed it was the same as a bomber trans, which would at least make sense on the production side, but no...
Yup. No part of that transmission made any amount of sense.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Yup. No part of that transmission made any amount of sense.
and at the time of them designing it there were a couple fantastic examples of how to pull off a fwd motor mount and tcase with their existing scx10 gears... all they woulda had to do was maybe throw gcm or dinky a bone and utilize their basic idea and then refine it for mass production.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You just repeated my post using different terms and words.

Racers want and demand tight tolerances, crawlers and scalers will settle for sloppy shit. There it is in a nutshell.
Not really, but ok.

Quote:
and at the time of them designing it there were a couple fantastic examples of how to pull off a fwd motor mount and tcase with their existing scx10 gears... all they woulda had to do was maybe throw gcm or dinky a bone and utilize their basic idea and then refine it for mass production.
Precisely.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #66

yeah i dont think we settle for sloppy rigs as much as immediately replace most the moving parts before the first run.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

To go along on this line of their over priced product that needs upgraded right off, is the current lack of news coming from them. For anything crawler related late May for product to be available again is just shooting them selves in the foot. No SCX10II's or Kits, No Wraiths or Bombers of any type, still list Deadbolt on Tower as limited, and at the store where I work we can't even order them now since Hobbico is out of stock to supply to anyone else now. Glad I still have a couple of Deadbolts and a SCX 10 II in stock and the now discontinued Wraith Poison Spyder, and a Bomber. Glad that Vaterra/Horizon isn't having any issue at this time and they let it be known that they have theirs all in stock.
Bry73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #68

Quote:
im not a racer. i just collected a bunch of the vintage stuff when ebay was relatively new and the old rc10's were still under the radar for most people.

i do know that the updates and new kits a.e. and the rest put out are from constant r&d and the competition between companies to have the latest buzz and competitive advantage. but i feel that even if there wasnt any competition among the different brands, the attention to detail and quality of their kits would be the same.

imho the only decent part on a 10.2 are the axles. the pig trans and hella complicated intertwined puzzle piece servo mount setup (which doesnt work worth a shit with their phb mount location...) is worse to me than the o.g. i dont want a huge 2 speed trans in an scx... i want a compact fwd mounted motor/trans and a divorced transfer case... axial had ample time to make a decent update to the scx, and they didnt deliver. and if the reasoning is that the 'masses' arent interested in such things, then you are ignoring your fan base and giving them all the reason in the world to buy into another brand.

dont get me wrong its a cool truck, and the kit was pretty decent. but how much cooler would it be with a fwd mounted motor and maybe a full interior similar to how the wraith was done? it baffles me why there was effort put towards making the drivetrain more complicated and bulky without at least trying to make it more scale in the process. i originally assumed it was the same as a bomber trans, which would at least make sense on the production side, but no...
I bet Axial sells more crawlers than other companies sell racers. Crawling is a small niche in this hobby, but racing is typically even smaller. Those saying companies have no reason to design better, higher quality crawling kits seem to forget how big this niche is becoming. If it wasn't popular then there wouldn't be all of these new scalers dropping from HPI, Traxxas, MST, etc.

Amen! Axial was lazy and took the easy and cheap way out with the SCX10 II. Like you said, the only real difference or benefit is the smaller axles. That's why I call it the SCX10 1.5.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry73 View Post
To go along on this line of their over priced product that needs upgraded right off, is the current lack of news coming from them. For anything crawler related late May for product to be available again is just shooting them selves in the foot. No SCX10II's or Kits, No Wraiths or Bombers of any type, still list Deadbolt on Tower as limited, and at the store where I work we can't even order them now since Hobbico is out of stock to supply to anyone else now. Glad I still have a couple of Deadbolts and a SCX 10 II in stock and the now discontinued Wraith Poison Spyder, and a Bomber. Glad that Vaterra/Horizon isn't having any issue at this time and they let it be known that they have theirs all in stock.
I was told my my local hobby store there was a fire at the factory. So they bought some SCX10II kits knowing they would be scarce. I bought a SCX10II last Friday. Wether this is true or not, I do not know. It would explain the scarcity of everything from Axial.
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #70
Pebble Pounder

The general attitude I have seen and had myself for a while was that axial was the only good brand. In our groups of as much as 30 people everyone had axial. Without ever seeing a different brand I never thought anything of it. Now I drive a Redcat E10 and one friend couldn't get over why I switched brands, as if I just left the cult he was in. People need to get over the brand names and just build whatever they want.
JoelTGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I bet Axial sells more crawlers than other companies sell racers. Crawling is a small niche in this hobby, but racing is typically even smaller. Those saying companies have no reason to design better, higher quality crawling kits seem to forget how big this niche is becoming. If it wasn't popular then there wouldn't be all of these new scalers dropping from HPI, Traxxas, MST, etc.

Amen! Axial was lazy and took the easy and cheap way out with the SCX10 II. Like you said, the only real difference or benefit is the smaller axles. That's why I call it the SCX10 1.5.
I can promise you, crawling kit sales are no where near what the racing companies sell in the major classes....Crawling is a very small niche in the hobby compared to racing...if the kits sales were low, there would not be 3+ players in almost every aspect of a racing kits..

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
I can promise you, crawling kit sales are no where near what the racing companies sell in the major classes....Crawling is a very small niche in the hobby compared to racing...if the kits sales were low, there would not be 3+ players in almost every aspect of a racing kits..

Later EddieO
After thinking about it, that makes sense. If this wasn't true the manufacturers wouldn't put in the money to R&D a new race vehicle every couple of years. The product life cycle of a crawler is at least twice as long as a racing chassis, but it's probably more like 3 or 4 times longer.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #73
BDR
Quarry Creeper

I bet that HPI\Traxxas and the like, are working around the clock to get their junk out, while Axial is farting around
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Gotta pay to play. Every Niche brand in any hobby can push the envelope regarding cost. I race 1/10 touring cars and have been doing so for 12 years and find crawling not cheap, but not that expensive either. Its the unnecessary "scale" upgrades the will get you. a good set of tires is all you need.

Last edited by triggerhapy; 03-14-2017 at 06:58 PM.
triggerhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #75

When will Axial products be back on the shelves? It would be nice is they posted something about their current state.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

They are posting how-to vids on Youtube.. but that could be a totally different department..
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

At least they are doing something, more vendors should post how to videos.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers28 View Post
When will Axial products be back on the shelves? It would be nice is they posted something about their current state.
The owner of my LHS (who stays up to date on all things hobby) informed me something about the Chinese .gov confiscating all of the tooling, machines, etc. from the Axial plant. I'll inquire more later. But if true... yikes!!!!
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #79

I guess so much for trying to Axial for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
The owner of my LHS (who stays up to date on all things hobby) informed me something about the Chinese .gov confiscating all of the tooling, machines, etc. from the Axial plant. I'll inquire more later. But if true... yikes!!!!
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
So speculation and hearsay from the guy you buy parts from based on speculation and hearsay likely from someone else that sells parts. Yea I'll run right out and buy up every last axial kit, rtr and part I can find because the chinese raided a factory that makes toy truck parts.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Is it just me, or is axial overpriced? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM
Overpriced dual-sport......er no? turkinworm Chit Chat 3 09-25-2010 10:32 PM