Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Is it just me, or is axial overpriced?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #41

Default Re: Is it just me, or is axial overpriced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
first a little off topic here but ill come back round to it. your right robbybobby. we may pay for TLR or associated to fly their guys from track to track, but ive never broke parts on my tlr kits. paying 3-4 big bones on the new kits sucks, but I know ill never break a part on it unless its a a-arm.
agreed. you can take an a.e. or losi kit, build it, tune it to the manual, and go racing the next day without needing to throw a bunch of aftermarket parts on it to make it either more competitive or more durable. r&d is through the roof with a.e. and losi... they make little race cars and they are constantly refining. and ill argue they are just as scale as an axial, but with the shift towards being a scale racing vehicle and not just a scale representation of a 1:1.

also, usually after a new refinement comes along they get it out as fast as they can to keep everybody competitive (and make money of course). and when that happens you usually get a fire sale on the still relatively new kits. (e.g. b5 and b5m kits when the b6 came out) so you can get into it for alot cheaper than the latest and greatest kit and still have fun. (if racing as fast as possible while trying not to mess up or crash into anybody else is your thing.)
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

X2 and the engineering, and especially fit and finish is light years ahead with race buggies. There's zero slop anywhere in the drivetrain, a-arms, etc., why can't more crawler kits and RTRs have the same level of QUALITY?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2 and the engineering, and especially fit and finish is light years ahead with race buggies. There's zero slop anywhere in the drivetrain, a-arms, etc., why can't more crawler kits and RTRs have the same level of QUALITY?
Why can't the mass produced crawlers have the same quality? Simple, there are no national and world titles for manufacturers of crawler parts so there isnt nearly the exposure. In the grand scheme of things scaling and crawling are pretty small segments of the hobby. The people that buy crawlers and scalers will hand over $400 for a rig than $600 for quality upgrades without batting an eye so why should they improve?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Why can't the mass produced crawlers have the same quality? Simple, there are no national and world titles for manufacturers of crawler parts so there isnt nearly the exposure. In the grand scheme of things scaling and crawling are pretty small segments of the hobby. The people that buy crawlers and scalers will hand over $400 for a rig than $600 for quality upgrades without batting an eye so why should they improve?
While I do not disagree with your assessment. I would add that in the year and a half I have been into scale, I have seen several different scale rigs become either more available or more talked about. Eventually the name won't be enough to hold off competitors. If scale hobby market is similar to other markets the lose of brand power gets whittled away slowly until they become outdated and undesirable. I think the 10.2 was the attempt to remain relevant, but the timing gave some companies to gain some market share.

This may be an incorrect opinion, but it feels like there are more options then a year and a half ago, or maybe just more discussed on the forum.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

White-Trash, I think it's more that the manufacturer(s) don't care about quality and tolerances, especially when many crank out same parts (never fixing the little problems) and keep selling them and therefore save a few nickels by not revamping and improving them. When I was racing 2wd buggies, most needed home made beef ups, bracing a few bolt ons to be reliable and competitive. After several years, most kits only needed a few minor parts and then tune them in by the user, parts quality, fit and finish was vastly improved because of competition between manufacturers vying for our money. Just my opinion and desire for better parts and kits.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
White-Trash, I think it's more that the manufacturer(s) don't care about quality and tolerances, especially when many crank out same parts (never fixing the little problems) and keep selling them and therefore save a few nickels by not revamping and improving them. When I was racing 2wd buggies, most needed home made beef ups, bracing a few bolt ons to be reliable and competitive. After several years, most kits only needed a few minor parts and then tune them in by the user, parts quality, fit and finish was vastly improved because of competition between manufacturers vying for our money. Just my opinion and desire for better parts and kits.
You just repeated my post using different terms and words.

Racers want and demand tight tolerances, crawlers and scalers will settle for sloppy shit. There it is in a nutshell.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #47
BDR
Quarry Creeper

It comes down to what the market will bear

Axial for many years has had no real competition, and you can see that by the way they treat customers......now with Vattera\Traxxas\HPI , coming to the party, they have to step their game up

Same could be said for the after market, just look at a couple of long standing brands.......100% treated us like mugs, now THEY have some competition, they suddenly drop prices

Competition is good for us consumers

I wont even start on pricing in Aus
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR View Post
It comes down to what the market will bear

Axial for many years has had no real competition, and you can see that by the way they treat customers......now with Vattera\Traxxas\HPI , coming to the party, they have to step their game up

Same could be said for the after market, just look at a couple of long standing brands.......100% treated us like mugs, now THEY have some competition, they suddenly drop prices

Competition is good for us consumers

I wont even start on pricing in Aus
I agree. Competition is great for us!

As far as the price, that stinks but you have the hot girls with that sexy accent so it kinda evens out.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Not to mention Fosters......

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Not to mention Fosters......

Hang up and Drive
Don't the Australians look at Foster's the same way we look at PBR?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

I grew up drinking and delivering to Pabst, and Schlitz, and Miller.
PBR was the workingmans beer until S&P holdings made it yuppiefied

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:37 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Don't the Australians look at Foster's the same way we look at PBR?
If PBR tastes like fermented nun's piss, then you're spot on!

But yeah, pricing in Aus is ridiculous. You Americans don't know how good you've got it!!!
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

sabo, you guys can drink a brew and drive. if I could have a beer on the way to my races.. my day would be tons better.

badhoopty, TLR is in the works for a 4.0 22 buggy. ae is now in the works of a b7 now. they just came out with the b64d and now I think losi might put in for a 22-4 3.0 constantly going back and forth making new vehicles now. this is what I kinda think of axial as. but with not as good quality but for the same price at times.

ie: bomber rtr comes out, scx10.2 kit comes out, bomber kit comes out, scx10.2 rtr comes out all within a year. so many cars and trucks being designed its crazy how fast they are coming out.

I think Ty Tessman still runs his d8t. probably the same with his d8b.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:09 AM   #54

Quote:
sabo, you guys can drink a brew and drive.

That sounds more like an internet myth than the actual truth. It can't be true...can it?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

That sounds more like an internet myth than the actual truth. It can't be true...can it?
moog and marty from mcm say they can and I believe it.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #56
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Quote:
sabo, you guys can drink a brew and drive. if I could have a beer on the way to my races.. my day would be tons better.

Wow, didn't realize that wasn't a thing over there.

But yes, it's true.
As long as your blood alcohol level is under 0.05, you're good.
The general rule of thumb works out to be 2 beers in the first hour and then 1 beer every hour after that.
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

It's .08 over here or .04 for me due to my commercial endorsement for driving semi. So really not much different.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
It's .08 over here or .04 for me due to my commercial endorsement for driving semi. So really not much different.
But you can't drive around drinking a brewski even if your BAC level is .01. Hell, you'll get arrested for an open beer in your car even if you haven't taken a sip.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
But you can't drive around drinking a brewski even if your BAC level is .01. Hell, you'll get arrested for an open beer in your car even if you haven't taken a sip.
Not here. The driver can be .07 as long as there is no sign of being impaired. If my passenger has an open beer they would get the ticket.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #60

Quote:
badhoopty, TLR is in the works for a 4.0 22 buggy. ae is now in the works of a b7 now. they just came out with the b64d and now I think losi might put in for a 22-4 3.0 constantly going back and forth making new vehicles now. this is what I kinda think of axial as. but with not as good quality but for the same price at times.

ie: bomber rtr comes out, scx10.2 kit comes out, bomber kit comes out, scx10.2 rtr comes out all within a year. so many cars and trucks being designed its crazy how fast they are coming out.

I think Ty Tessman still runs his d8t. probably the same with his d8b.
im not a racer. i just collected a bunch of the vintage stuff when ebay was relatively new and the old rc10's were still under the radar for most people.

i do know that the updates and new kits a.e. and the rest put out are from constant r&d and the competition between companies to have the latest buzz and competitive advantage. but i feel that even if there wasnt any competition among the different brands, the attention to detail and quality of their kits would be the same.

imho the only decent part on a 10.2 are the axles. the pig trans and hella complicated intertwined puzzle piece servo mount setup (which doesnt work worth a shit with their phb mount location...) is worse to me than the o.g. i dont want a huge 2 speed trans in an scx... i want a compact fwd mounted motor/trans and a divorced transfer case... axial had ample time to make a decent update to the scx, and they didnt deliver. and if the reasoning is that the 'masses' arent interested in such things, then you are ignoring your fan base and giving them all the reason in the world to buy into another brand.

dont get me wrong its a cool truck, and the kit was pretty decent. but how much cooler would it be with a fwd mounted motor and maybe a full interior similar to how the wraith was done? it baffles me why there was effort put towards making the drivetrain more complicated and bulky without at least trying to make it more scale in the process. i originally assumed it was the same as a bomber trans, which would at least make sense on the production side, but no...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

Is it just me, or is axial overpriced? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM
Overpriced dual-sport......er no? turkinworm Chit Chat 3 09-25-2010 10:32 PM