Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Why scalers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Why scalers?

I like the scale builds because of the time involved, winter hobby, you won't see me building one in the summer. I think the step up brands from Associated kits are coming on strong. The Associated kits have gone downhill in the last few years. Their design is top notch but the kit quality leaves a lot to be desired. This is the reason I switched to Tekno in classes that they have product for.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Why scalers?

Comp crawlers blew up, got big and self imploded. A few reasons: short drive times on course, clicky groups, lack of help-same people did all the work at the big events, people scared of the rules and competition, bigger skill gaps with driving and building, early on you had to build your rig unlike a lot bolting on stuff, entry fees with almost no payback, etc. When comp crawling was declining there was really no new and fresh ideas available to keep it going. Just because it was limited format to begin with, lowest score wins.

Scalers on the other hand dont need a set of rules, organizing body or specs to build and go have fun with.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

For me a lot of it is the building of a somewhat realistic rig and also making it perform. I can set on a rock and run a scaler around for hours just watching the suspension work. I compete in the local club in what we call a 1.9 class. most run a truck with a poorly painted chopped up body with giant ass tires while I'm running a full blown scale truck with tiny tires. I never win, but I get satisfaction going through a rough spot that gives me trouble. Might take me more tries to get over an obstacle, but I have way to much fun doing it. The scratch building and blowing money on worthless crap is kinda fun too. To be honest, I like building something that makes people stop and say that's cool. I'm not great at building, but I try to put pride into what I do. But after watching some comp rigs run a while back I can see the appeal. In my opinion they aint much to look at, but I was totally amazed at what they could do! Wasn't to long ago I thought bashers were stupid, but here I am with one that's been making me giggle quite a bit. Hell, they're all just as good as the other and I want them all. Each has it's place.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

I will speak for myself, and why I like the scale side of the RC crawlers. Having come into the rc side of crawling, after having many 1:1 built rigs I can say for me it's about building a rc truck that you would like to build as a 1:1. I have no interest in building a tube buggy that has to be trailered to the trail. I like a rig I can drive on the road, so I want to build a rc rig that would be lousley street legal.
I have seen many, many tube buggies on the trails that can crawl anything in front of them, but I enjoy wheeling the same truck I can drive to work on nice days. So for me, the rc side seems to have the same draw. Just why I like the scale side, and why I would imagine other people do also.
Junkk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
I don't get the "detail" aspect of scaling.

I like building rigs for technical ability, not dressing them up with a bunch of extras for points on a scale run.

although I do "Get" what some of the guys are talking about when it comes to having fun with a scaler in your backyard, I think it also has to do with not learning the technical side of things. scalers get points for details on their rigs, Comp crawlers get points for technical ability. It's harder to build a comp crawler than a scaler, just like it's harder to build and tune an associated SCT, than a traxxas slash. Comp crawlers, just like racers, are always going to be the niche market becasue of the minutiae involved in gaining that extra little bit of performance.

The scale runs I go on, a lot of guys get just as many points for winching others up a hill than some do for their technical driving.
Not everyone wants to go hardcore and just climb verticals all day. Some people just like a relaxing trail ride, or replicating a 1:1 and watching it go. There's nothing to "get" with the details. It's just a different aspect of the hobby, like building dioramas or static models, or sculpture, or any form of art where alot of time is spent on character building detail. Different goals give different people satisfaction, you don't have to get it.

For me and many others, it's a way to vicariously live out a different life (silly scale details and home made courses with dolls and beer cans and trashed campers), or drive different realistic vehicles. I have absolutely zero desire to join any competitions.

Having the absolute limit of unrealistic performance available at all times is just so boring to me. When I played the Gran Turismo games online, I always opted for the rooms where people were using stock or lightly tuned cars to cruise and race with. Just so much more interesting to me than blazing around in 1500 HP whatevers.

This is all to say, again, different strokes for different folks. It's great that you and others enjoy comp crawlers, it keeps the hobby diverse and progressing. I'll stick with scalers, and if I want powerful speed fun I'll pull out my vxl slash!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
JoeThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
I don't get the "detail" aspect of scaling.

I like building rigs for technical ability, not dressing them up with a bunch of extras for points on a scale run.

although I do "Get" what some of the guys are talking about when it comes to having fun with a scaler in your backyard, I think it also has to do with not learning the technical side of things. scalers get points for details on their rigs, Comp crawlers get points for technical ability. It's harder to build a comp crawler than a scaler, just like it's harder to build and tune an associated SCT, than a traxxas slash. Comp crawlers, just like racers, are always going to be the niche market becasue of the minutiae involved in gaining that extra little bit of performance.

The scale runs I go on, a lot of guys get just as many points for winching others up a hill than some do for their technical driving.

Ya know if more than an apparent tiny minority of the scale nerds spent 1/4 the time doing actual tuning to the suspension geometry, shocks and foams as they do agonizing over getting their 60 points of flair I wouldn't have nearly the disdain for them.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Default Why scalers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Ya know if more than an apparent tiny minority of the scale nerds spent 1/4 the time doing actual tuning to the suspension geometry, shocks and foams as they do agonizing over getting their 60 points of flair I wouldn't have nearly the disdain for them.

Do you even read my scale build threads bro? Quite the opposite of your statement but yah, alot dont.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Do you even read my scale build threads bro? Quite the opposite of your statement but yah, alot dont.
How does it feel to be in the tiny minority?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How does it feel to be in the tiny minority?

Feels awesome, I build trucks that actually work and halfway resemble a 1:1 rig.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Pretty much all the guys who show up to major scale comps with pointed out rigs are the guys who are tuning suspension, foams, etc.

To answer OP's question. A lot has to do with availability.

Want a scaler, there's kits and RTRs from several manufactures.
Want a sporty, you're building it. Pro there are a few more options, but still nothing like scalers and the price point is a few hundred dollars more than a scaler.
VMGontheRocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The guys who I see every Sunday at the races June thru Sept. say the same thing about the crawlers. And well they put scale under that heading also. They say it is kind of like watching paint dry. Myself I have only run my crawlers and scales indoors, still have 3 foot of snow on the ground
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #32

its not its a black or white thing... it isnt like you either have to be into scale realism or comp crawling. im about as interested in a scale brake booster or posing dolls in a garage scene as i am figuring out all that mixing and dual rate mumbo jumbo.

to me scale is a just a more grown up way to have the same kinda fun i did when i was a boy with a tonka truck.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:28 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

why scalers?

Because we can, and it makes awesome picture opportunities.

Think of a scaler like that shelf queen you can actually take out and drive. Like that 1:25 car model you put hydraulics in and made it hop like a real 1:1. or like that P51D Mustang you built from scratch and flew it for the 1st time. There is so much you can do with a scaler, imagination is your limit.

comp crawlers are fun too, but its such a niche market, no one with economic sense wants to get into it to deliver a RTR a kid can go pick up at the hobby store.
quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

For me it's the challenge of building a capable RC that resembles a "real" truck. Building and driving is more of a challenge to me than "this is all the best stuff right now, I'm going to make a truck out of it". As the guys in my area know I rarely make anything that "the other guys have". For me that's the fun part "can I make this non-typical truck competitive while looking as close to the real thing as I can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fingonunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

yeah, like VMG said a few posts up, the guys that show up to major scale comps tech and tune, but that's a huge minority compared to the amount of people that show up at local comps. our local GSRCC scale runs had anywhere from 80-120 drivers at each event depending on location, and there was usually a core group of about 8-10 guys that were really involved in real tuning. That means link geometry, rebound and damping, gearing and tire tuning for each terrain. not just buying bolt on parts and running those same parts on all terrains.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #36
RCC Addict

I use my scalers when scoping out a place, then when I find any bigger rocks I'll bring the comp rigs. Scalers are fun to me because at this point you can basically make identical trucks to your 1:1 build. Comp rigs are fun because they do crazy stuff and are pure performance.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Default Why scalers?

Scalers....... many folks run what is the local favorite style due to terrain .... Many big rock guys live..... where there are big rocks! Now try to find rocks or hills in Florida ....

Good luck as I live in a swamp, surrounded by flat beach. So scalers to me woul be swamp buggies or mud trucks.

I went to a MOA, because if I have to look and find rocks, BIG ones are used here.... Jeeps here run skinny tires with 4clyinders , not exactly crawler based

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #38

Because most comp guys are ****ing weird!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Scalers....... many folks run what is the local favorite style due to terrain .... Many big rock guys live..... where there are big rocks! Now try to find rocks or hills in Florida ....

Good luck as I live in a swamp, surrounded by flat beach. So scalers to me woul be swamp buggies or mud trucks.

I went to a MOA, because if I have to look and find rocks, BIG ones are used here.... Jeeps here run skinny tires with 4clyinders , not exactly crawler based

Hang up and Drive

It can be done..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

I guess one way to look at it is if there wasn't the diversity in the types of crawlers out there, than the diversity of the people involved wouldn't be what it is. Imo it's nice to have a hobby that attracts all types of people.
Junkk5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Why scalers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scalers rc. Output volterra and monte serra. 7 scalers in action gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 07-08-2013 04:18 PM
How many scalers do you have? / How long have you been into scalers? pike2350 Chit Chat 8 03-29-2011 09:48 PM
My 1.1 scalers BLOODBANE Chit Chat 2 10-12-2009 01:19 PM