Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Why scalers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #41

Default Re: Why scalers?

the realism. i don't have any interest in something you would never see a 1:1 vehicle do or look like.
Triggerforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerforge View Post
the realism. i don't have any interest in something you would never see a 1:1 vehicle do or look like.

What we're you saying again?

I didn't build the rig to look like SKOP's ford, I actually painted the body a couple years before he even got the truck but they sure look similar enough.

Not all scale rigs are modeled after junk on 31's that cruises the logging roads.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #43

i don't like most class 3 scalers with truck bodies. they should have a tube chassis. plus most successful class three rigs are basically sportys with a scale body.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

The funny part is that is now my rental sporty. there is less body and pretty much everything about it is different but it at least looks like something.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Ya know if more than an apparent tiny minority of the scale nerds spent 1/4 the time doing actual tuning to the suspension geometry, shocks and foams as they do agonizing over getting their 60 points of flair I wouldn't have nearly the disdain for them.
Even as a "scaler" I really don't understand the points thing. I've looked at the local club's rule book and just laughed. Talk about taking the fun out of RCing IMO. Funny thing is you look at the trucks and they are not realistic at all, neither are the comps and the gates. I'm not jumping my hardbody unimog off of a scale 100' cliff. Oh and if ANY of my rigs start rolling or are going to take a bad tumble I'm grabbing it, screw the "rules". Add all that up and I'm not a scale competition guy.

Honestly, I see the reason you have the disdain for the scaler crowd...
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #46

i don't agree with all of the SORCA rules and points, i feel like everyone should start at zero and we'll see how you really did. i do understand that the points are there to 'encourage' you to add scale details but i feel you shouldn't be pressured to meet minimum scale points as long as your truck has a scale appearance. that's pretty much how the local group i do comps with is, WARCRC. there are guys who show up with a maxed out 50 points class two and have a perfect run though.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Crawler, scale or racing I do it for one reason FUN! I could care less if I win, I like being in the middle of the pack where all the fun is.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #48

Class 3's are like the top truck challenge version of rc, that's about the only scale class that I like honestly
Will Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #49

Scale points are a joke. In a competition you should get judged on performance alone. Getting tons of points ahead of time from an action figure and some 3D printed, plastic pieces that add weight, raise the center of gravity, and decrease the performance of the rig is just straight retarded. I understand a trail guy wanting the accessories for looks, but when these accessories are required in a competition you know that sanctioning body is doing something horribly wrong. I can't think of any other performance competition in which looks count towards your performance. Having a separate show and shine or "pile as many scale accessories on your RC as humanly possible" beforehand would be more reasonable.

A scale cowbell was required at Motorama per the rules. What in the royal ****?

I'm a scaler, per se, because my vehicles look like something you'd see on the street or on trails in real life. But I still like some performance which is why I use lexan not hard bodies.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

If you don't like the scale rules, then don't follow them and don't bash on them. Pretty simple. Some folks enjoy the challenge of building within a rule set.

I bet if scale point whining was awarded points, some of ya'll would be maxxed out pretty quick.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Scale points are a joke. In a competition you should get judged on performance alone. Getting tons of points ahead of time from an action figure and some 3D printed, plastic pieces that add weight, raise the center of gravity, and decrease the performance of the rig is just straight retarded. I understand a trail guy wanting the accessories for looks, but when these accessories are required in a competition you know that sanctioning body is doing something horribly wrong. I can't think of any other performance competition in which looks count towards your performance. Having a separate show and shine or "pile as many scale accessories on your RC as humanly possible" beforehand would be more reasonable.

A scale cowbell was required at Motorama per the rules. What in the royal ****?

I'm a scaler, per se, because my vehicles look like something you'd see on the street or on trails in real life. But I still like some performance which is why I use lexan not hard bodies.
That's brilliant! I'm pretty sure Parker did the mandatory cowbell for fun, but with the way you bitch about everything on here.....I'm not sure you have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
If you don't like the scale rules, then don't follow them and don't bash on them. Pretty simple. Some folks enjoy the challenge of building within a rule set.

I bet if scale point whining was awarded points, some of ya'll would be maxxed out pretty quick.
Now that's funny!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #52
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Greatest month of March post.

Some of ya need to seriously stop.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:35 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
That's brilliant! I'm pretty sure Parker did the mandatory cowbell for fun, but with the way you bitch about everything on here.....I'm not sure you have any.
Yes, because anything that disagrees with your opinion is bitching.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, because anything that disagrees with your opinion is bitching.

Better look long in that mirror bro.....

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Scale points are a joke. In a competition you should get judged on performance alone. Getting tons of points ahead of time from an action figure and some 3D printed, plastic pieces that add weight, raise the center of gravity, and decrease the performance of the rig is just straight retarded. .
What's really retarded is grown men playing with toys, then complaining about how grown men play with toys do so.

Do you not get it? They are toys, call them what ever you want so you don't feel like a little child, but they are still toys.(I prefer scale model when confronted by friends, yeah it still doesn't work so then I just say my son loves it and I'm good) And as such we get to pick what type of toys we want to play with.

As for the rest of it, well frankly it is just sour grapes when people disagree with the rules that a bunch of like minded people develop to make playing with toys more interesting to them. If a person doesn't like the rules they can always take their ball and go home. Hell I do not particularly like to be forced to play by someone else's rules either, which is why I found the G6's so enjoyable. Giving scale comps a try this year, so Ill see how that goes for me.

Did I mention that we are playing with toys, not sure if I did.

Quote:
A toy is an item that is generally used for children's play. Playing with toys is supposed to be an enjoyable means of training young children for life in society
Quote:
Enjoyable (of an activity or occasion) giving delight or pleasure.
To the OP. I scale because I enjoy modeling, as much as wrenching on the truck. It gives me things to do at night when I am watching TV, and relaxing in the basement.

I can't afford to buy a 71 bronco, on top of my daily driver, that I had when I was younger, but I can afford making a 1/10th scaler, same goes for the land rover I always wanted, and in the future the 88 wagoner limited I used to own.

In addition to all that. I have an acre of woods that include two broken down farm walls giving me 500 feet of rock pile that is challenging for a scaler, hills to climb, a swamp to mud in, a sometimes frozen pond, and plenty of other interesting terrain that would be uninteresting for a comp crawler, yeti, slash, ect.

My first crawler was a 1/18th slickrock. I wrenched on it and got it to the point it was like a little spider, it was really fun making changes then testing them. But it came to the point that nothing in the rock pile, within reason, could not be climbed. It got boring real quick, I suppose if I have someone else with one to play horse with it would be enjoyable, hence the reason for comps, but I didn't so I tried something different. Before that it was bashers and frankly that got old too.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 03-21-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
What's really retarded is grown men playing with toys, then complaining about how grown men play with toys do so.

Do you not get it? They are toys, call them what ever you want so you don't feel like a little child, but they are still toys.(I prefer scale model when confronted by friends, yeah it still doesn't work so then I just say my son loves it and I'm good) And as such we get to pick what type of toys we want to play with.

As for the rest of it, well frankly it is just sour grapes when people disagree with the rules that a bunch of like minded people develop to make playing with toys more interesting to them. If a person doesn't like the rules they can always take their ball and go home. Hell I do not particularly like to be forced to play by someone else's rules either, which is why I found the G6's so enjoyable. Giving scale comps a try this year, so Ill see how that goes for me.

Did I mention that we are playing with toys, not sure if I did.
You're right. All people should like the same thing so let's just close this forum and assume everybody wants and agrees on the same thing.

Differing opinions are good not bad.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

To me, Scale offers endless choices for you to build, customize and then drive an RC vehicle. Whether you enjoy building static models that you can drive if you have to, super detailed trucks you trail, U4 racing trucks that look like the real thing, lexan or hardbodied Scale competition rigs, a scale replica of the 1:1 you have or had as a kid......the list goes on, and the possibilities are endless. You also have many choices to drive or compete if that's your thing. SORRCA style scale competitions, TTC's, G6's, U4, X4, and I'm sure others.

That's "why Scalers"
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #59

jato do you read? or maybe i should ask do you understand what you read?

you're quoting posts and flaming people over things they did not say. ditchrat said nothing about 'all people should like the same thing'

and how about from here on out we dont try to flame and match wits in the newbie section.

moving to chitchat.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #60

whats with some of you and the shit talk over something you say you arent interested in, and flaming those who are? are you intimidated by it or something? did it touch you in a bad place?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

Why scalers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scalers rc. Output volterra and monte serra. 7 scalers in action gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 07-08-2013 04:18 PM
How many scalers do you have? / How long have you been into scalers? pike2350 Chit Chat 8 03-29-2011 09:48 PM
My 1.1 scalers BLOODBANE Chit Chat 2 10-12-2009 01:19 PM