Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Why scalers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Why scalers?

I model plastic scale..... yeah lots of craftsmanship and I love it. I don't drive scalers as I prefer to drive hard, and stuff gets broken.

I never cared for the rivet counters, it's all about points, not fun.

BUT scalers are a segment, just not mine.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #62

Default Re: Why scalers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
jato do you read? or maybe i should ask do you understand what you read?

you're quoting posts and flaming people over things they did not say. ditchrat said nothing about 'all people should like the same thing'

and how about from here on out we dont try to flame and match wits in the newbie section.

moving to chitchat.
I do read just fine and understand just fine. Do you read in between the lines? Apparently not.

ditchrat was saying "it is just sour grapes when people disagree with the rules". My point was that if everybody agreed on or liked the same thing it would be a boring world. And forums, like this, are for discussions of things we agree on and disagree on. How's that flaming? Or is there a new rule stating we can only respond if you agree?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-21-2017 at 08:47 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

I like crawling. scale or comp. but ill only run losi axles. cause losi. #losicult

scale points.. eh don't care much for it. I just run what I put together. since now, I comp every Tuesday and Friday night I can in a garage with 12" gates, and basic comp rules as far as reverse, and hitting gates/progress. those are the only points we count. weather its scale or a wraith. sometimes ill throw a bonus gate in. if ya take longer than 10 minutes to get through ten gates its "dnf"
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Scale points are a joke. In a competition you should get judged on performance alone. Getting tons of points ahead of time from an action figure and some 3D printed, plastic pieces that add weight, raise the center of gravity, and decrease the performance of the rig is just straight retarded. I understand a trail guy wanting the accessories for looks, but when these accessories are required in a competition you know that sanctioning body is doing something horribly wrong. I can't think of any other performance competition in which looks count towards your performance. Having a separate show and shine or "pile as many scale accessories on your RC as humanly possible" beforehand would be more reasonable.

A scale cowbell was required at Motorama per the rules. What in the royal ****?

I'm a scaler, per se, because my vehicles look like something you'd see on the street or on trails in real life. But I still like some performance which is why I use lexan not hard bodies.
The Idea of the show and shine before the comp starts is a glorious idea. Let it be its own point system before you start the truck through its torture. That way it'd give the owner less worry of breaking something in the middle of the event as he's already been scored on his visual/scale crap. Bravo.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Well I'm just gonna skip over all the drama and reply to the OP here.

For me, it's scalers because I found the comp scene to be very elitist, cliquey and overly competitive; I understand competition but I found that it gets so serious it takes the fun out of it. This is just my experience in my local area; I'm not trying to start something here.

It's also scalers for me because I enjoy the builds and the creativity that they allow, I don't enjoy constant testing and tuning that building a good comp rig entails.

And I like to build rigs that are versatile enough that I can go out and do some crawling with the gang or I can take it out hiking with my wife, the typical low speed/high torque comp crawlers just aren't that great for hiking with.

But I totally appreciate where the pure comp guys are coming from too, those things are incredible to watch climb around and go places that my scalers won't even get close to. That's one of the things I like about RC in general - there's so many different segments of that hobby that almost everyone can find something they enjoy.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Scale points are a joke. In a competition you should get judged on performance alone. Getting tons of points ahead of time from an action figure and some 3D printed, plastic pieces that add weight, raise the center of gravity, and decrease the performance of the rig is just straight retarded. I understand a trail guy wanting the accessories for looks, but when these accessories are required in a competition you know that sanctioning body is doing something horribly wrong. I can't think of any other performance competition in which looks count towards your performance. Having a separate show and shine or "pile as many scale accessories on your RC as humanly possible" beforehand would be more reasonable.

A scale cowbell was required at Motorama per the rules. What in the royal ****?

I'm a scaler, per se, because my vehicles look like something you'd see on the street or on trails in real life. But I still like some performance which is why I use lexan not hard bodies.
You're lumping a few different competition's rules in altogether. If it's a Parker G6, then yeah, he usually requires some type of comical accessory as per his level of humor. At a G6 event I ran that he organized, I had to have a bat (the animal) of some type. "Not Mandatory, but Highly Recommended" is his saying. That's meant purely for fun, as most G6 events are. Not technically a "comp" by definition.

In a more traditional SORRCA-sacntioned competition, nothing is mandatory in terms of scale points. You could drive your truck as-is, and get by with a minimum number of points based on your chassis selection and probably run cleaner gates. Heck, run a stock truck and nearly get 20-30 points. The whole point (no pun intended) of adding scale points, whether functional or decorative, is to get a tactical advantage by starting with more overall points compared to a truck setup purely for performance, and suffer a higher center of gravity or whatever performance downgrade you might incur by putting a gas can in your truck bed. A smart comp guy will point out their truck and still remain very competitive *cough* WarPig *cough*. People don't pile a bunch of accessories on, it's an art when you do it right.

SORRCA rules are built with the intention of pushing the look of the truck to it's limits, keeping it scale accurate, and also being super-competitive. They're very challenging, and finding the balance between accuracy and performance, for me, makes it insanely fun and challenging.

And I always point out my trucks. In all three classes. Because I'm a scale nerd.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
For me, it's scalers because I found the comp scene to be very elitist, cliquey
I agree. I found the same when attending a comp as a spectator before scaling was big. This was even before the SCX10 was thought of. I had not yet gotten into crawling, but I had a strong interest. Then when I got to the comp I was greeted by the cold shoulders of a bunch of anti social people. They acted like I was bothering them with questions and their answers were very short. I left not having any interest in crawling. I now know at least one of those guys is a big name in the hobby.

Years later I met a guy on another forum and through him I met a good group of local scalers. They were very inviting and willing to help. To this day we stop on the trails to answer questions from kids and adults alike and we give them advice on how to get into the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
You're lumping a few different competition's rules in altogether. If it's a Parker G6, then yeah, he usually requires some type of comical accessory as per his level of humor. At a G6 event I ran that he organized, I had to have a bat (the animal) of some type. "Not Mandatory, but Highly Recommended" is his saying. That's meant purely for fun, as most G6 events are. Not technically a "comp" by definition.

In a more traditional SORRCA-sacntioned competition, nothing is mandatory in terms of scale points. You could drive your truck as-is, and get by with a minimum number of points based on your chassis selection and probably run cleaner gates. Heck, run a stock truck and nearly get 20-30 points. The whole point (no pun intended) of adding scale points, whether functional or decorative, is to get a tactical advantage by starting with more overall points compared to a truck setup purely for performance, and suffer a higher center of gravity or whatever performance downgrade you might incur by putting a gas can in your truck bed. A smart comp guy will point out their truck and still remain very competitive *cough* WarPig *cough*. People don't pile a bunch of accessories on, it's an art when you do it right.

SORRCA rules are built with the intention of pushing the look of the truck to it's limits, keeping it scale accurate, and also being super-competitive. They're very challenging, and finding the balance between accuracy and performance, for me, makes it insanely fun and challenging.

And I always point out my trucks. In all three classes. Because I'm a scale nerd.
I'm sure I did lump various things together. I'm not that familiar with the comp scene.

If the cowbell was simply a fun aspect that's cool. It should be all about fun afterall.

I still don't necessarily agree with the scale accessories and points, but I don't have to.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Scale points are a joke. In a competition you should get judged on performance alone. Getting tons of points ahead of time from an action figure and some 3D printed, plastic pieces that add weight, raise the center of gravity, and decrease the performance of the rig is just straight retarded

And then......

I'm sure I did lump various things together. I'm not that familiar with the comp scene.

I still don't necessarily agree with the scale accessories and points, but I don't have to.
This is what frustrates me, people complaining and calling the scale rules and points "stupid" or "retarded" when they don't understand them.

Both of these trucks are pointed out without having a load of scale crap on them.

War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
This is what frustrates me, people complaining and calling the scale rules and points "stupid" or "retarded" when they don't understand them.

Both of these trucks are pointed out without having a load of scale crap on them.
Fair enough. I shouldn't have called them either name.

Sweet trucks though.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

I don't think the points are stupid or retarded.

I just don't utilize it like I should.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Fair enough. I shouldn't have called them either name.

Sweet trucks though.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I don't think the points are stupid or retarded.

I just don't utilize it like I should.
Not many do.

Those trucks above are the answer to "why scalers?"

Fun, competitive, look cool, and you get to hang out with a bunch of awesome people when you drive them.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
I do read just fine and understand just fine. Do you read in between the lines? Apparently not.

ditchrat was saying "it is just sour grapes when people disagree with the rules". My point was that if everybody agreed on or liked the same thing it would be a boring world. And forums, like this, are for discussions of things we agree on and disagree on. How's that flaming? Or is there a new rule stating we can only respond if you agree?

If you where reading between the lines correctly it would have read...If you don't like it then don't do it.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I agree. I found the same when attending a comp as a spectator before scaling was big. This was even before the SCX10 was thought of. I had not yet gotten into crawling, but I had a strong interest. Then when I got to the comp I was greeted by the cold shoulders of a bunch of anti social people. They acted like I was bothering them with questions and their answers were very short. I left not having any interest in crawling. I now know at least one of those guys is a big name in the hobby.

Years later I met a guy on another forum and through him I met a good group of local scalers. They were very inviting and willing to help. To this day we stop on the trails to answer questions from kids and adults alike and we give them advice on how to get into the hobby.

If the cowbell was simply a fun aspect that's cool. It should be all about fun afterall.

I ran into the same attitiude when I wanted to get into U4RC. One of the guys from VP told me I could spend $1k on my wheely king, and no matter how good I was, he could beat me with a stock scx10, then he and his friends proceeded to laugh at me for even asking if the wheely king was usable as a base for an ultra 4 rig. I didn't know any better at the time. I've stuck to scaler and comp events since then, and people at those events have been really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post

That's awesome, but I'm sure you also recognize that you're in an extreme minority with your talent at building scale rigs.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

I like the scale parts on a build too, but they never seem to last long with our driving style here ( no gates most of the time just see if you can go up and over )
Also no comps i am aware off here in Denmark.

My friend is currently painting my new Blazer body for my TF2, and he just picked up a poo load of little scale nicknacks for next to nothing.
So in honor of the new body and its niceness i will put a little icing on the cake for a little extra scale points.

Also i am looking for a roof rack with mounts for lights, though i have modified the lights in the front to accept three 5 mm LED's ( 50.000 mcd that was the strongest we could find when we got them )
You do not want to turn your car 180 degrees and face yourself on a dark night in the forest, at least not with 10 - 12 of those LED's going

My friend got some small rc4wd light bars for a project of his, man they was weak so they was reduced to DRL.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Murray View Post
Why is it that more and more people are into scale crawlers instead of comp crawlers? I've built both, and had very capable rigs on both sides but I still prefer comp crawlers (2.2 pro) to scalers. Just wondering how everyone else feels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Scalers on the other hand dont need a set of rules, organizing body or specs to build and go have fun with.

Yup that about says it. I built one truck last year and ran it in 3 classes at nationals, then a few weeks later took it on a trail ride.

I love robot crawlers, but it's hard to beat the versatility of scale rigs.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Scale, comp, u4rc, rc whatever.... for each their own...
I'm personally a 2.2pro guy at heart. I really enjoy driving and competing @ competitions with my 2.2pro and 2.2s rigs. I've also owend my share of scale rigs and hosted events from TTC, poker runs, scale comps GTG. All with help from club members.

Reading that I was meet with a cold shoulder, being elitist or some of the guys had bad attitudes this is why I don't like comps.

Makes me laugh, Because I know plenty if 2 faced assholes that do nothing but drive scalers on trails.... Because they don't like comps.

I've meet some great people over the yrs by going to 2.2 pro type of rc crawler competitions. Most of those guys would offer you any part or help you need so you could finish the competition

There's an exception to every rule don't let one bad experience turn you off on competitions.

Last edited by tapped-out; 03-21-2017 at 02:35 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

I've enjoyed in the past creating a detailed styrene bodied rig that performs decently and realistically for the model being depicted. I just enjoy trail rides these days, got burned out w/ the scale comps.

The last time I was out it was on new years day, it was a trail ride with a local group. I got to catch up with some friends that I haven't seen in a while. The scale rigs of every size and style were the reasons to be out there.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:09 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

now I could get down with a trail ride as long as it aint flat or muddy as hell. its like "follow the leader" lol
Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post

That's awesome, but I'm sure you also recognize that you're in an extreme minority with your talent at building scale rigs.

Warpig certainly does awesome work! However, I dont understand the mentality that almost nobody builds this way. The thing that people seem to forget is all "the plastic dollhouse stuff glued to the body of the truck" is only good for 6 points. You arent going to point out a rig without doing more than "a doll and some 3d printed shit".

Last edited by sgtbham; 03-22-2017 at 06:40 AM.
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote

Why scalers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scalers rc. Output volterra and monte serra. 7 scalers in action gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 07-08-2013 04:18 PM
How many scalers do you have? / How long have you been into scalers? pike2350 Chit Chat 8 03-29-2011 09:48 PM
My 1.1 scalers BLOODBANE Chit Chat 2 10-12-2009 01:19 PM