Notices

Thread: Why scalers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #81
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Why scalers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post

That's awesome, but I'm sure you also recognize that you're in an extreme minority with your talent at building scale rigs.
Tim is in a rare minority of people with the "desire" to build like this. There was a time when most builds on RCC looked like his.

There are still plenty of amazing builders here on RCC...I can write out a long list of my favorites, but many other members seem to think the checkbook is mightier than desire.

Why scalers? Because once upon a time, even Comp rigs were scalers...it's the heart of the hobby.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #82
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
However, I dont understand the mentality that almost nobody builds this way.
I just don't have the time nor energy to master those types of skills for one rig. Another thing is the initial cost to getting all the equipment needed to do any type of work.

For example I have your basic hand an power tool, a lathe and assorted taps and dies. I am far better equipped then your average hobbyist. Because I have the tools already in house it is easy for me to, say make a set of links. But for someone just getting into the hobby and doesn't have those tools you need to buy tools that will cost more then plug and play off the shelf links.

You just can't assume what might be easy for you is easy for everyone. A great example is I have a friend that is a CFO, the dude is a wizkid with all things numbers, guy can not tie a decent fishing knot to save his life. What takes me 2 minutes to rig up take him 10.

We all have a strengths and weaknesses. Some people just do not have time to practice to become proficient.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

have you guys seen the way emoryworx makes links? all ya need is brakeline, rod ends, some 3mm screws, a dremel, and some slip joint pliers.

but yeah, the cages.. ya need skill and some way to make the joints. I just simply don't have the patience. a class 1 is simple to build. I like to think though as class 2 as an "entry level" scale class. class 1 costs a bit more imho.

and to piggyback off the costs of tools thing, 100 dollars well spent on tools can get the job done just fine. its the experience some of us need to build up. but I don't have time for that. I stop at styrene accessories. lol.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
a class 1 is simple to build. I like to think though as class 2 as an "entry level" scale class..
Class 2 is basically a boxstock class, which from the outside looking in seemed a lot less intimidating. For that matter the fact that a scx10 in its various shells look a lot like daily drivers makes them much more relatable to the average person. I remember the first time looking at a comp crawler build and saying WTF is that. Looked more like a moonbuggy then a truck.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I just don't have the time nor energy to master those types of skills for one rig. Another thing is the initial cost to getting all the equipment needed to do any type of work.

You need to think differently. Don't think about skills for one rig, think about this rig and then the next 3 or 4. The basic tools to get started aren't that expensive, and I've collected mine over 6-8 years.....for a total of $800.

For example I have your basic hand an power tool, a lathe and assorted taps and dies. I am far better equipped then your average hobbyist. Because I have the tools already in house it is easy for me to, say make a set of links. But for someone just getting into the hobby and doesn't have those tools you need to buy tools that will cost more then plug and play off the shelf links.

The tools I use:
Vise- garage sale $50
Band saw- garage sale $100
Oxy acetylene torch- Craigslist $250
Silver solder- welding store $28
Bench grinder- grandpa free
Drill press $150
Cordless drill $100
Various hand tools/fabricated tools $200

All of these make fabrication easier, but you can do it with less, you just have to have the desire.

You just can't assume what might be easy for you is easy for everyone. A great example is I have a friend that is a CFO, the dude is a wizkid with all things numbers, guy can not tie a decent fishing knot to save his life. What takes me 2 minutes to rig up take him 10.

We all have a strengths and weaknesses. Some people just do not have time to practice to become proficient.

Quote:
have you guys seen the way emoryworx makes links? all ya need is brakeline, rod ends, some 3mm screws, a dremel, and some slip joint pliers.

but yeah, the cages.. ya need skill and some way to make the joints. I just simply don't have the patience. a class 1 is simple to build. I like to think though as class 2 as an "entry level" scale class. class 1 costs a bit more imho.

and to piggyback off the costs of tools thing, 100 dollars well spent on tools can get the job done just fine. its the experience some of us need to build up. but I don't have time for that. I stop at styrene accessories. lol.
Agreed, styrene is my kryptonite too
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post

Thats not what I was getting at though, more speaking against the scaler stereotype that all we do is glue a bunch of decorations on our rigs. I wasnt trying to hit on anyones ability level, I was just saying that at national level events most pointed out rigs are going to be built very well - without a bunch of crap simply slapped on. Very much like the pictures of Warpigs rigs
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

that's what I thought about the comp crawlers back in 06-07 and I thought I gotta have it! bought my first scorpion roller when the orange artr came out and got hooked. then.. I ditched it for a losi. and now here I am with a losi axle scaler.

I just think class 2 is the cheapest, class 1 second, then its a tossup between a class 3 and a 2.2s

I believe that's the main reason of why "scalers" instead of comp. is because the majority can afford it better, not that it looks real. cost is the biggest reason imho. but once the beginner is hooked, cost goes out the window then the looks and realism comes into play keeping them in the scale realm.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Getting good at any of these things requires patience and practice - money and equipment can come later. Most of my best builds have been done with a pile of styrene, a ruler, a hobby blade and some styrene glue.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #89
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Getting good at any of these things requires patience and practice - money and equipment can come later.

Absolutely!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

With all this Scale hate going on here, I might as well stay in Imthatguys forum of Scale Builers Guild..

Just kidding, theres much fascinating info on here also that anyone can learn from...
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
With all this Scale hate going on here, I might as well stay in Imthatguys forum of Scale Builers Guild..
Thats my approach, I only do build threads over there these days.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

Why scalers? Because once upon a time, even Comp rigs were scalers...it's the heart of the hobby.

My heart belongs to 2.2s but I hate, HATE the generic bodies especially the Parma exciter. I've been running an exciter for 3 weeks and it's already cracking.

Anyway I'm putting some serious thought into running a proline toyota body. It would be a throw back to the old days and be a strong body to boot.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
My heart belongs to 2.2s but I hate, HATE the generic bodies especially the Parma exciter. I've been running an exciter for 3 weeks and it's already cracking.

Anyway I'm putting some serious thought into running a proline toyota body. It would be a throw back to the old days and be a strong body to boot.
It's a very strong body. You'd be impressed.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yeah, the little Proline C10 crawler body was my favorite.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
It's a very strong body. You'd be impressed.
That's what I've read. It'll be chopped to hell so I don't think the weight penalty will be enough to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Yeah, the little Proline C10 crawler body was my favorite.
Me too. It could use a bit of tweaking but hands down the best I've seen. Sure beats a damned bug or cockroach (xr10)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Me too. It could use a bit of tweaking but hands down the best I've seen. Sure beats a damned bug or cockroach (xr10)
cockroach.. that's funny. ...I thought you were more of a freightliner guy.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
cockroach.. that's funny. ...I thought you were more of a freightliner guy.
I'm pretty sure that a freightliner body wouldn't help my center of gravity.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #98
MODERATOR™

Ford Courier was the shit. .60 thick (or whatever) Proline bodies are nice.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:28 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that a freightliner body wouldn't help my center of gravity.
doesn't seem to bother szczerba with his massive cxt's
Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #100
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
...I can write out a long list of my favorites...
Quote:
doesn't seem to bother szczerba with his massive cxt's
Shane is on my list.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

Why scalers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scalers rc. Output volterra and monte serra. 7 scalers in action gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 07-08-2013 04:18 PM
How many scalers do you have? / How long have you been into scalers? pike2350 Chit Chat 8 03-29-2011 09:48 PM
My 1.1 scalers BLOODBANE Chit Chat 2 10-12-2009 01:19 PM