Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Speed limits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Speed limits

Before anyone says anything, NO, I did not get a speeding ticket. That's not quite what this thread is about.

I was listening to the radio a few weeks ago and heard something about record increases in deaths on public roads, and how political leaders didn't understand why it was happening (they interviewed a cop in California who was similarly confused), and as I was listening to this radio show, in my work van, a car with Washington plates passed me on Interstate 5, in Southern Oregon, going 110 MPH+ in a 65 MPH zone. Cue the facepalm.

So, I drive generally for 6-8 hours a day during the week. I don't have a fixed route, so sometimes I get stuck in one town, other times I run back and forth between towns. I've noticed recently, after listening to that radio program, that while going up and down the freeway, the number of people going well over the speed limit is getting ridiculous. A 15 minute drive up I-5 at 70 MPH sees me getting passed by 50-70 cars. I've been blown off the side of the road by Semis going 90+.

So, I've been wondering why we even have speed limits. If the majority of people driving on public roads are going 10, 20, or 30 MPH over the posted limit, why bother with a posted limit at all?

Personally, I can't speed. One ticket and my job could go poof. Hell, they have GPS trackers in the vans, so just getting caught speeding could get me fired. I know one driver got caught going 87 MPH in a 50 MPH work zone on I-5 two years ago, he was on probation until just recently...

The other thing that pisses me off is that there is no realistic enforcement. There might be a State Trooper with a radar gun out every few days, but most of the time, people running 100+ on the freeway have radar detectors and just slow down before he can clock them. Put up speed cameras and people shit all over themselves suing the county, state, city, or whatever jurisdiction puts them up. So, people want speed limits, just not for themselves?
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

Default Re: Speed limits

I think speed limits should be individual. You should have to take an assessment test that determines the maximum speed at which you're allowed to drive. Some people can handle 100 MPH. Some can't handle 25 MPH.

There aren't enough cops to enforce the speed limit for every car on every day. I don't think cameras should be allowed to enforce laws either.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Semi trucks travelling at 90mph should be scary to see. They crash like thunder.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

I'm sure the rise in "texting while driving" doesn't help.

I'd much rather be on the road with someone paying attention while speeding, than with someone doing the speed limit and texting.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Meh, speed limits are a waste of time. It has fawk all to do with safety and everything to do with a revenue stream.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Yeah, it's revenue. However I will say that the newly increased limit to 70 from 65 is just too damn fast. ~9 over they say is safe. So now the tards are doing almost 80. That's instant death.

Signed sincerely,
The slow guy that does the limits and gets constantly passed but still gets there a moment after you.

Or the tards that pass me flooring it into a red light. Too many tards these days.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Our speed limits went up to 80 on the highway, most people are pushing 90, I get my doors blown off doing 85. Luckily, I drove the old Toyota home at night in the rain, only the tractor trailers were passing me at 30mph +

We're also near the top in the country for vehicle deaths per capita.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Deservedly.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I talked to a state trooper one day at a rest stop, and asked him about the speeders going over the limit, and he told me they won't usually pull someone over for doing 90 in a 65 unless they are weaving. If all the cars/trucks are moving with the flow of traffic, no problem exists. If they are significantly going faster than the flow of traffic, then they'll go after them, or with the eye-in-the-sky, nail them at the offramp. He also mentioned that if a vehicle is going too slow, let's say 50 in a 65, they are more apt to pull them over, because they are not moving with the flow of traffic, and can actually be the cause of an accident.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

It's not doing 80-90 that's the problem. My Xterra will even hum along happily at that speed comfortably in 6th gear on most of the highways and byways in our great land. It's going that speed...

- with some tool 5 feet off your rear bumper
- with a conga line of tools 5 feet off each other's bumper
- with some idiot of course looking at his phone, drinking coffee, you name it. Almost got hit head on by some yenta in a Tahoe applying eyeliner and with 2 wheels over the yellow line.
- with the fact that turn signals are no longer needed apparently ever.
- with the realization that people will not hesitate for a second to whip into that space you are leaving the car in front of you in the passing lane (with no signal) thereby suddenly negating your safety margin to 6.8 inches on average.
- while sharing the road with soccer moms with very little appreciation for how long and wide their SUV/Truck/Minivan really is.
- while trying to avoid that moron that always has to be in the fastest lane and feels the compulsive need to switch every 8 seconds...and even still we get to the same place at the same time
- and trying to merge on the highway and no one will give ONE ... STINKING .... INCH.
- and of course, there's always those asshats that have to turn around when traffic is backed up or stalled suddenly ....after only waiting 57 seconds.
- dealing with Penndot and their utterly moronic and wasteful road department. Sure, let's slow down to 40 and merge to one lane SEVEN MILES before the roadwork begins. OR let's run the street sweeper down the highway at 7:38 in the morning. Or let's pave this intersection again for the 9th time for reasons not even God understands.

Impatient, self centered idiot drivers are a staple of the northeast. I hate morning rush hour with every ounce of feeling in my body..... Our local highway even has it's own site on facebook - 422 sucks.

/RANT/
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Our speed limits went up to 80 on the highway, most people are pushing 90, I get my doors blown off doing 85. Luckily, I drove the old Toyota home at night in the rain, only the tractor trailers were passing me at 30mph +

Is the I-90 "Montana-bahn" still in existence? I remember in the early 90's, I'd get pulled over for speeding. State trooper would issue an 'excessive energy waste' infraction, at which point it was paid on the spot, then the ticket was hung from the rear view mirror. You were only allowed 1 ticket per day, so you just basically purchased your license to speed. Except through the reservations. Reservation cops didn't play any games...
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I think one of the biggest issues that will never get addressed in this country is the fact that we do a TERRIBLE job of preparing drivers. You learn the 'rules' and sometimes some basics, but most people have absolutely no idea how to control or respect a vehicle.

But anyway, central Texas has some of the highest speed limits in the country (US 130 is an 85mph limit which is the highest posted limit in the U.S.) and the roads work better here than anywhere I've ever lived.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #13
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
I think one of the biggest issues that will never get addressed in this country is the fact that we do a TERRIBLE job of preparing drivers. You learn the 'rules' and sometimes some basics, but most people have absolutely no idea how to control or respect a vehicle.

But anyway, central Texas has some of the highest speed limits in the country (US 130 is an 85mph limit which is the highest posted limit in the U.S.) and the roads work better here than anywhere I've ever lived.
I was on the 130 toll going home one evening doing 90mph and had trooper blow pass me if I was standing still. He had been going 120-130 no lights on.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post

Well said. And I'll add the sense of entitlement, and aggressiveness of American drivers. There's a twisty mountainous stretch of road (four lane with center turn lane) I drive regularly for work, I don't speed, but in my car I can take the curves at the speed limit. I constantly pass people in the curves, only to have them come blowing by me (while I'm still doing the speed limit) like I'm sitting still once the road straightens out on the bottom on both sides. Why? What are they so desperate to prove? I'm not an aggressive driver, I use my turn signal to change lanes, or overtake another vehicle. So I really don't get the mentality that as soon as they have their land yacht back in straight waters, they're gonna show me and the Subie who's boss. It's just self centered, arrogant, cocky bullshit at it's finest. You will never see an Autobahn here, EVER.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Is the I-90 "Montana-bahn" still in existence? I remember in the early 90's, I'd get pulled over for speeding. State trooper would issue an 'excessive energy waste' infraction, at which point it was paid on the spot, then the ticket was hung from the rear view mirror. You were only allowed 1 ticket per day, so you just basically purchased your license to speed. Except through the reservations. Reservation cops didn't play any games...
I've heard of those days, my parents would drive straight through from New Jersey to NorCal back in the 70s, no speed limits at all back then. "Fair and prudent" was the wording I believe. They bought a Fiat Spider just to get back and forth faster

80mph on a divided highway is one thing, we get 70 on two lanes with no shoulder, houses, businesses and schools. People pull out if they think their car will fit in the space, not a care in the world

Not to mention no safety or vehicle inspections of any kind. I'm thoroughly against bureaucracy, but there's a line where your pos going 80 is unsafe to everyone around you.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:08 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I'll sometimes go 75 on the freeway...but not much over that. And only if it's light traffic. I've been over the crazy speeding for a long time now. Not worth it.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
It's not doing 80-90 that's the problem. My Xterra will even hum along happily at that speed comfortably in 6th gear on most of the highways and byways in our great land. It's going that speed...

- with some tool 5 feet off your rear bumper
- with a conga line of tools 5 feet off each other's bumper
- with some idiot of course looking at his phone, drinking coffee, you name it. Almost got hit head on by some yenta in a Tahoe applying eyeliner and with 2 wheels over the yellow line.
- with the fact that turn signals are no longer needed apparently ever.
- with the realization that people will not hesitate for a second to whip into that space you are leaving the car in front of you in the passing lane (with no signal) thereby suddenly negating your safety margin to 6.8 inches on average.
- while sharing the road with soccer moms with very little appreciation for how long and wide their SUV/Truck/Minivan really is.
- while trying to avoid that moron that always has to be in the fastest lane and feels the compulsive need to switch every 8 seconds...and even still we get to the same place at the same time
- and trying to merge on the highway and no one will give ONE ... STINKING .... INCH.
- and of course, there's always those asshats that have to turn around when traffic is backed up or stalled suddenly ....after only waiting 57 seconds.
- dealing with Penndot and their utterly moronic and wasteful road department. Sure, let's slow down to 40 and merge to one lane SEVEN MILES before the roadwork begins. OR let's run the street sweeper down the highway at 7:38 in the morning. Or let's pave this intersection again for the 9th time for reasons not even God understands.

Impatient, self centered idiot drivers are a staple of the northeast. I hate morning rush hour with every ounce of feeling in my body..... Our local highway even has it's own site on facebook - 422 sucks.

/RANT/
Thats why my car now have more cameras than a FOX studio, and the idiots go strait to youtube though i then break the law.
The really nasty ones i turn over to the cops, i did that a few years ago with a kid that in 15 seconds of driving broke so many laws so bad his license was bye - bye for many years.

In general people can do what they bloody please ( i do myself ) as long as it don't endanger me or the people i care about.

So don't pull off some stupid "poo" next to my car
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
I was on the 130 toll going home one evening doing 90mph and had trooper blow pass me if I was standing still. He had been going 120-130 no lights on.
Well the feeling of entitlement and being above the law that so many police officers seem to have is another problem entirely. But it's horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
Thats why my car now have more cameras than a FOX studio, and the idiots go strait to youtube though i then break the law.
The really nasty ones i turn over to the cops, i did that a few years ago with a kid that in 15 seconds of driving broke so many laws so bad his license was bye - bye for many years.

In general people can do what they bloody please ( i do myself ) as long as it don't endanger me or the people i care about.

So don't pull off some stupid "poo" next to my car
I've reported things to cops, even a hit and run on my car, and nothing was done. The cops don't care. I'm shocked to hear that kid's license was taken away.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I have been looking at getting a cam system for my car. I have a 55 mile one way commute though traffic in STL, roads from gravel country to interstate 9 lanes wide. It can get interesting at times.

I will say that I purposely go into work early to beat morning rush, and drive 70~80 the hole way. That same drive home in afternoon rush can range from as high a 80 on I-370 3 cars wide, dam near bumper to bumper, to as slow as 30 in some spots due to rubber necking.

I seen all kinds of road rage, accidents, car fires.. once watched a mini van roll at a stop light. She was trying to beat the yellow, slammed on her brakes and cranked the wheel. Nosed dove, and over it went.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I also drive a metric crap ton of miles for work. The levels of stupid I see displayed these days are setting new heights every week.

I cover just south of the very congested SF Bay Area all the way up to the Oregon border making sure emergency power systems don't fail when the utility power does.

There seems to be a disconnect from reality in this digital day & age. Safety isn't an issue for people until it actually is...

That said, what type of dash cams do you guys use? I need to get a forward/rear facing unit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Speed limits - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City street speed limits JandG Chit Chat 16 06-10-2014 01:01 PM
yet another reason Texas>* 85 mph speed limits STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 12 06-09-2012 08:27 AM
Travel Limits papasmurf Newbie General 4 05-23-2008 01:58 PM