Happy birthday! Hope it was a good one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Default Re: How old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Sorry, I’m not with you. I’m 14, probably the youngest on here. Love learning from this group, a lot of knowledge!
Oh lord. That explains a few things you've said elsewhere.

- - -

I'm 38. My Female Companionship Unit is 42. My son is 2.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:07 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Default How old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Oh lord. That explains a few things you've said elsewhere.

- - -

I'm 38. My Female Companionship Unit is 42. My son is 2.

Lmao. Just because I’m not in my 20s or 30s doesn’t mean I don’t know my shit

Don’t get offended by my beliefs. Oh well, F*** the haters, imma keep being me

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-15-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I had an old emaxx when I was your age, had my own little work bench set up in my closet that me and my grandpa built, plenty of tools including a soldering iron, drill, and dremel all that I knew how to use. I never got Christmas gifts while I owned that, only money because nobody had a clue what I was talking about.

So to all the older folks on here I 100% see myself in this guy and it is possible to be knowledgeable in this stuff at that age. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.

I did see a little bit of a younger fellow in your posts but before this thread I would’ve put you roughly 18-19. Don’t let the grumpy old farts get to you.

Oh, and don’t get out of the hobby for 15 years like I did so when you come back to it you’re a noob all over again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austin-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:36 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-92 View Post
I had an old emaxx when I was your age, had my own little work bench set up in my closet that me and my grandpa built, plenty of tools including a soldering iron, drill, and dremel all that I knew how to use. I never got Christmas gifts while I owned that, only money because nobody had a clue what I was talking about.

So to all the older folks on here I 100% see myself in this guy and it is possible to be knowledgeable in this stuff at that age. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.

I did see a little bit of a younger fellow in your posts but before this thread I would’ve put you roughly 18-19. Don’t let the grumpy old farts get to you.

Oh, and don’t get out of the hobby for 15 years like I did so when you come back to it you’re a noob all over again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the kind words Austin. Some people see I’m 14, then think I automatically know nothing about everything.

I see myself in you LMAO! I’m just a kid with a rig working out of a corner in his tiny room with a few tools I can use. Thankfully my Dad is very mechanically inclined, so I can sort of talk to him about my ideas.

I got out of the hobby for around a year when I had my Crown Vic since I sold my RCs to fund parts for the Vic. I missed it a lot, but I had a 1:1 car to work on instead of a Helion RockRider lol.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:45 AM   #107
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words Austin. Some people see I’m 14, then think I automatically know nothing about everything.
That explains aaaaalooot !
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:44 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
That explains aaaaalooot !
How much more do you have to say to me?

You've trolled me since day one. You are the one and only person I can't stand on RCC. all you have to say is a bunch of garbage. Your honestly so annoying dude. If all you have to say is shit, why say it?

You have something against my age or something? I'm so sorry I bother you soooo much! Remember, you were also 14. woah, crazy right?

Still surprising how much of a troll this teacher can be

Oh waittt, i know why you are the way you are to me! Its because you are butthurt about my political views, right? Right!

F*** off. Get a life

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-16-2020 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #109
RCC Addict

Forum Life advice, and could also apply to real life: don't respond to people that annoy you, don't comment on their threads/posts and it becomes a non-issue.

Observation: removing the 'life experience' factor, I have noticed no consistent direct correlation between age and maturity. I have noticed a direct correlation between age and opinions (older dudes tend to have a lot more of them lol). Summary: I know young guys that are chill/wise, and old guys that are brats/snowflakes. It's a personality and perspective thing more than trips around the sun.

Last edited by Phildirt; 11-16-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Forum Life advice, and could also apply to real life: don't respond to people that annoy you, don't comment on their threads/posts and it becomes a non-issue.

Observation: removing the 'life experience' factor, I have noticed no consistent direct correlation between age and maturity. I have noticed a direct correlation between age and opinions (older dudes tend to have a lot more of them lol). Summary: I know young guys that are chill/wise, and old guys that are brats/snowflakes. It's a personality and perspective thing more than trips around the sun.

Yeah I know I should not respond, just constantly seeing his comments are annoying.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:27 AM   #111
RCC Addict

Quote:

Don’t get offended by my beliefs. Oh well, F*** the haters, imma keep being me
I wasn't talking about your RC knowledge. I'm well aware that kids can be experts in things that don't require decades of personal life experience. It's not something I talk about often, but just between you, me, and the internet: I'm a former kid myself, and I definitely knew more about various things than some people 2-3x my age. But some aspects of life can't be tinkered with, and you simply have to watch them play-out over and over before you really understand them. Older people will always have the advantage in that regard.

Anyway, it's best to not have beliefs at all, if you can avoid it. Make decisions based on evidence instead, regardless of how you feel about it. Humans have the capacity for rational thought because feelings simply aren't accurate enough for making Big Important Decisions. Rational people have a huge competitive advantage for staying alive and being successful. You can walk into just about any store in the world and purchase 100% legal chemicals that will change the way you feel, but not a single one that will change the facts. That should tell you all you need to know about how reliable feelings are for making decisions.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 11-21-2020 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:31 AM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Default How old are you?

Quote:
I wasn't talking about your RC knowledge. I'm well aware that kids can be experts in things that don't require decades of personal life experience.

I know exactly what your talking about, and my reply still applies to that as well. ;)

Old 11-21-2020, 02:43 AM   #113
RCC Addict

If you know exactly what I'm talking about and you maintain that being young doesn't put you at a disadvantage in understanding that topic, then this is a clear case of the Dunning-Kruger Effect in action -- those with insufficient expertise are incapable of accurately judging their own expertise.

It doesn't matter to me which side of the fence you're on; all that matters to me is that you think you can possibly understand what's going on at your age.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:51 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Default How old are you?

Quote:
If you know exactly what I'm talking about and you maintain that being young doesn't put you at a disadvantage in understanding that topic, then this is a clear case of the Dunning-Kruger Effect in action -- those with insufficient expertise are incapable of accurately judging their own expertise.

It doesn't matter to me which side of the fence you're on; all that matters to me is that you think you can possibly understand what's going on at your age.

I’m not saying I know everything because I don’t devote all my time into it, but I do know some stuff. I’m not even going to get into it because that’s not what this thread is about, but yes it does put me at a disadvantage because I don’t know as much as others.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-21-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:23 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Default How old are you?

Quote:
but just between you, me, and the internet: I'm a former kid myself, and I definitely knew more about various things than some people 2-3x my age. But some aspects of life can't be tinkered with, and you simply have to watch them play-out over and over before you really understand them. Older people will always have the advantage in that regard. Anyway, it's best to not have beliefs at all, if you can avoid it. Make decisions based on evidence instead, regardless of how you feel about it. Humans have the capacity for rational thought because feelings simply aren't accurate enough for making Big Important Decisions..
Yeah man, I definitely agree with you. I’m definitely guilty of making choices by feeling rather than fact, we’ve all done it at some point in our life. Trust me, I’ve made horrible decisions from my feelings lmao. I am in no way shape or form an expert in anything, but I know a thing or two sometimes, and I like to speak my belief/opinion regardless of what people think of it. That may be a dumb thing to do, but I still do it lol. I definitely agree with “the older the wiser”

I think I’ll stay out of the political threads for a while

Also, thank you for not coming back at me hostile. It’s really appreciated. I shouldn’t have came at you like that to begin with.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:53 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Might be able to get this back on track. I am 72 years young and I've been into RCs for 7-8 years. Crawlers because they're slow enough for my old brain to keep up with. They say my parents and grandparents saw amazing changes in their lifetime. I think my generation has also seen some amazing changes. Young people weren't there for the first man in space, the first men on the moon, the changes in the workplace, the beginning of the "age of technology", etc., etc., etc. Simple thing, there are young people today who have never seen a rotary dial phone. For me, the advances in technology can drive me crazy, I love it and I hate it. I have a perfectly good cell phone, 3 years old, limited support now and going downhill fast. Need to get a new one. Even worse with computer technology. There's a phrase us old bikers liked to use, "keep up or die". Don't think I'm keeping up so I think I'm dying.

Thanks for listening to an old man. I'm actually a happy person and as they say, "livin' the dream".
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:48 AM   #117
RCC Addict

Things that I've discussed with my wife ( born in '93) that have blown her mind or left her looking utterly lost...

> My family's first microwave. Was probably around 1982 or so. It was huge and my Mom thought that we'd all surely contract cancer or radiation exposure so my sister and I weren't even allowed to use it for maybe the first weeks or months. We weren't even allowed to be anywhere close to it when it was in use. It was as if we had adopted a wild mongoose lol.

> My wife is familiar with VHS tapes but when I told her all about the strange and aggravating world of cassette tapes, that really made her cringe lol. I don't need to go into much detail as all of us older guys remember the horrors of our favorite tape getting eaten.... as well as the anxiety-inducing extraction and re-spooling ritual. I don't think I've even approached her with the topic of 8-track lol.

> The TV that weighed 8.4 tons and had to warm up for a little bit after being turned on for the picture to finally appear... the changing of the channels requiring a complete argument about who was going to get up and then stand along side of the TV to carry out this operation since there was always a necessary fine tuning of the antennas every time that you changed the channel. Luckily we only had four channels and the you were really only going for minimal static as opposed to any hope of perfect audio/ picture clarity.

> The effectiveness of muting the phone being directly affected by how hard you'd push the receiver against your belly... Also the effectiveness of your conference call being directly affected by the length of the cord and whether or not there was another room close by. And the effectiveness of the phone's answering machine being directly affected by whoever answered the phone and how responsible that person was... to not only take the message, but to get it right, to get a call back number, and to actually relate all of this back to you today as opposed to 2-3 days later. I remember that our phone books were riddled with all kinds of vague notes, names, numbers, etc. Yes, young folks... HUGE, thick, heavy phone books.

> Air conditioning- In the car or in the house or in school? Nope! None in my life until I was well into my teens. And even then, it was limited to only the absolute hottest days. But yes, as a kid... many of us only had open windows and fans to keep us cool.

> Not generational but... We grew up on our own farm-raised beef, chickens, eggs, vegetables, and fruits so when I told her that I didn't see my first McDonald's until I was in the 6th or 7th grade ( and that it was due to my first straight-A report card) she was floored. She conversely, grew up in a fast food wasteland. Fortunately, she now only eats healthy foods. Neither of us have eaten fast food in well over a year. When I see commercials that represent kids as demanding, deserving to choose unhealthy meals and snacks, fast food junkies... makes me angry at parents that validate it and sad for children's health and development.

Lots of other topics that we've discussed that accentuate our age difference... some of them off the top of my head:

> Stomping your left foot to the floor of the car in order to switch from dims to brights.
> Seat-belt use... If you felt like it.
> Christmas being about church and family... more than presents.
> Hand written Christmas lists feverishly compiled from Sears, Spiegal, & Montgomery Ward catalogs that came in the mail.
> The advent of electric typewriters replacing manual typewriters. This whole topic really made her cringe lol.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

I still have a manual typewriter, although, I don't know why, I can't get new ink reels for it anymore. Recently threw out my Mom's old Brother electric a couple months ago, lol
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote