Notices

Thread: News thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #1021
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I forget what mine cost, but it was a ton. He was a preemie and spent 2 months in the NICU. Plus my wife was hospitalized for a month prior to that because of some rare tumor that only pops up in the medical world every few decades. Fun times.
When my wife and her ex-husband lived in Florida, he worked for a NASA sub-contractor. He had some insanely good insurance through them. My younger step-daughter was 1 month premature and required massive medical attention. According to my wife, they paid very little out of pocket for it.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #1022
I wanna be Dave

It's hard to take sides here or "like" one persons view over the other because you both make valid points in the discussion. I'm not a liberal by a longshot, but I do take offense at the use of the word "retarded".

My wife's family and mine grew up in the same neighborhood, 3 doors away from each other, when they moved in in 1970. One of the boys was severely mentally handicapped. Prior to us getting married, I was told by my future mother-in-law, that when she passes, she wanted Virg to take care of Jim because the next eldest brother already had a family, and the eldest brother would rather see Jim put in an institution. I accepted that. Jim has his good days ( where he acts like a responsible 58 yr old adult), and the not-so-good days (where he acts like an immature 10 yr old). The bad days outnumber the good. He's been with us for 26 of the 27 years we've been married. I've known Jim for 48 years.

I'm not thin-skinned, and I can usually hold my own in a dispute, but using the word "retarded" in this discussion is out of context, when words like these https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/an.../retarded.html can be used.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #1023
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I'm not a liberal by a longshot, but I do take offense at the use of the word "retarded".
It's ok, being offended is a condition irrespective of political views.

I never use the word, but it just seemed right this time so I went with it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #1024
Rock Crawler

Um! I went through the list provided by Mike_Flea, and I’m not sure “retardo” is any better...wait! Am I catching myself defending jato? Never mind sir! Carry on.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #1025
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
Um! I went through the list provided by Mike_Flea, and I’m not sure “retardo” is any better...wait! Am I catching myself defending jato? Never mind sir! Carry on.

I didn't even see that until I went back and looked again, wtf!
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #1026
RCC Addict

"Late" in Italian is "ritardo"...maybe you were just tardy ;)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #1027
Rock Stacker

Shifting gears, CA continues to baffle me on their voting decisions. It was recently said that, in the Bay Arae, making six figures($117K was cited) is you living in poverty. Let’s couple that with the hellhole that SF is turning into with drug use & the decades long empidemic of homelessness, it’s amazing we are still electing Democrats into office. After decades & declines, one would imagine the citizens would wake up. It’s strange to me.

And another side quest, this faux outrage over the SCOTUS pick. Those protestors were certainly prepared & had all the bases covered. I would’ve laughed heartily had the nom gone to Garland...and seeing their faces.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #1028
Rock Stacker

Shifting gears, CA continues to baffle me on their voting decisions. It was recently said that, in the Bay Arae, making six figures($117K was cited) is you living in poverty. Let’s couple that with the hellhole that SF is turning into with drug use & the decades long empidemic of homelessness, it’s amazing we are still electing Democrats into office. After decades & declines, one would imagine the citizens would wake up. It’s strange to me.

And another side quest, this faux outrage over the SCOTUS pick. Those protestors were certainly prepared & had all the bases covered. I would’ve laughed heartily had the nom gone to Garland...and seeing their faces.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #1029
Rock Stacker

I love San Francisco’s priorities. Mass homeless problem...what’s that? Poop on the sidewalks, where?! Public drug use in train stations...huh? Plastic straw use...WHAT?! Throw them in jail!

That’s hilarious. All the while the left wants prison reform. I guess this is the reform they wanted?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #1030
RCC Addict

Big news
Bert N Ernie are GAY.... Didn't see that growing up....LMAO , oh well, 2018 right ? (LMAO just so Funny to me. (who'd thunk it)
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #1031
Suck it up!

That's fake news from a few years ago. Not that it matters.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #1032
Pebble Pounder

BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #1033
Quarry Creeper

^^Clickbait headline.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #1034
RCC Addict

Toys R us is back.....
https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/2/17...-us-bankruptcy
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #1035
Quarry Creeper

Thoughts?
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #1036
Pebble Pounder

Peter Schiff is an anti minimum-wage Libertarian. I'm sure he believes that, with no pesky oversight, business will regulate itself and always do the "right" thing.

He makes these bold predictions and is about 1 for 3. He predicted the housing collapse, but anybody with a brain saw that one coming. He whiffed on his price of gold and consumer credit predictions and has a moniker in the finance world as "Dr Doom".

From what I read on him, some things he says make sense, but I wouldn't weight his opinion/analysis more than any other analyst.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #1037
I wanna be Dave

My daughter is on the autistic spectrum and I also dislike the R word. I don't go trying to sensor people I just let them know I'm not a fan.
I was on an awareness walk with about a thousand other parents and friends with kids on the spectrum and the DJ decided it would be a good idea to play black eyed peas lets get retarded in here.
Pretty sure he was fired immediately as I didnt hear any music after that.

Anyway yes!!!!! TOYS R US BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!!
https://toynewsi.com/1-31866

Last edited by Shinchu; 10-03-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
This makes no sense. Maybe it'll be an online only thing, but to close every store and walk away isn't good if you're going to continue on. People have already forgotten about Toys 'R Us. I mean I hope they come back due to nostalgia, but I wouldn't bet on their success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Thoughts?
Amazon is run by liberals. They act like they are doing a good thing by setting a company-wide minimum wage of $15, but it makes no business sense unless it was done to keep the Union away. That wage increase WILL trickle down to customers. But it won't necessarily keep away the Union. Union lovers are greedy, overpaid people. If you give them $15 they'll think they're entitled to $20.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #1039
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
They act like they are doing a good thing by setting a company-wide minimum wage of $15, but it makes no business sense unless it was done to keep the Union away. That wage increase WILL trickle down to customers. But it won't necessarily keep away the Union. Union lovers are greedy, overpaid people. If you give them $15 they'll think they're entitled to $20.
Unless (and it could be a big one) Bezos has finally decided that he has enough money and is actually applying the trickle down economics scheme we've been hearing about for decades that never really happens. I'm probably dreaming here, but it could be the case.

Wages have not tracked with inflation for a long, long time. Something (or someone) has to give eventually.

$15/hr is only unreasonable because we all know that consumer prices will go up to maintain the bottom line. That is a choice made by the corporations. They don't have to do that, but they do, and it cascades across all corners of the economy. In the end, it's the consumer and small businesses that suffer from that choice.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #1040
Suck it up!

Also, automation is going to happen more and more, no matter what the pay scale is.

News thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Darra News! News from the past Juuti Videos! 19 01-22-2017 01:49 AM
good news and bad news foproy South Carolina 3 06-13-2011 02:45 PM
Good news and bad news.... Jeckler Chit Chat 6 03-17-2005 12:42 PM