Notices

Thread: News thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #1141
Suck it up!

Default Re: News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
People act like walls don't work. History says otherwise.
The great walls of history were put there for military purposes when horses were a bid deal.

They're also good for comparatively small areas that are easily patrolled.

The Great Wall of America would be a waste of money for many reasons. Something more cost effective complimented by other technologies would serve us better.

Quote:
A fool with more fame and money than you'll ever have and the most powerful man on top of that.
Take away the fame and money and he'd still be a shithead.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
The great walls of history were put there for military purposes when horses were a bid deal.

They're also good for comparatively small areas that are easily patrolled.

The Great Wall of America would be a waste of money for many reasons. Something more cost effective complimented by other technologies would serve us better.

Take away the fame and money and he'd still be a shithead.

No, not all walls were from ancient times. See the Berlin Wall as an example.

Smaller area for sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't show that it can be effective.

What would you suggest instead of a wall? I see all these people claiming there are better ways.

Trump is a different person as a President. I don't know him personally enough to call him a shithead. He's had some grand failures, but also successes.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #1143
Suck it up!

Quote:
I saw it too. The campaign lasted way longer than I expected. I thought GoFundMe would have taken it down immediately.

I think we all knew there was no way to legally turn it into a wall. Politics stand in the way of that.

Maybe it was to make a name for himself, but it proved a point. Lots of people want the wall to be completed. It's not like parts of a wall don't already exist.
I think the fuzzy legalities of it allowed it to run as long as it did.

It's not politics that stand in the way, it's the law defining how and where donations to the government go. You can't donate specifically towards one project. The money would just get thrown in with the national budget.

$1 says he runs for office in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
This is to pay for a wall on PRIVATE property. Supposedly some ranchers have already volunteered to let them build on their land.
And what about those that don't want a wall built? That's a horribly thought out project.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #1144
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Either way it was wrong just like a lot of political statistics.

That's a statistic filled with assumptions. Not all Trump fans are in favor of the wall and not all Democrats are against it.

Obama voted to fix the wall, create more wall and even built some of it during his presidency and fine. We can have a partial wall, but hell no on a full wall. The hypocrisy is that of a real fool.

People act like walls don't work. History says otherwise.

A fool with more fame and money than you'll ever have and the most powerful man on top of that. Maybe the hate stems from jealousy.
The point is that the idiotic gofundme isn't anything I would use as a ringing endorsement.

There is a difference between useful budgeting of money for border security and a 25 billion white elephant that he claimed Mexico would pay for. And what makes it even more farcical is that Mexican immigration has been on a downward trend since 2012.

The Great Wall of China, Hadrian's Wall and the Maginot Line were pretty effective...

Jealous of donald trump... I can find about a hundred other people with wealth and fame to be jealous of before him.

The "most powerful man in the world" has to throw a tantrum and screw with people's livelihoods because he can't get his way.

Where is that $5 billion check from Mexico by the way? Even his beloved Fox News took him to task for trying to claim he never said Mexico would pay for it directly.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #1145
Suck it up!

Quote:
No, not all walls were from ancient times. See the Berlin Wall as an example.
The Berlin wall was built to separate the communist Germany away from rest of the country. You could kinda maybe file that under military use, but it had several reasons for it's existence.

Still, it had a different purpose, and for the most part did what it was supposed to do. But it wasn't impassable.

Quote:
What would you suggest instead of a wall? I see all these people claiming there are better ways.
There's a defining line between "a wall" and "Trumps wall", and that is what splits most people. Trump doesn't want "a wall", he wants "Trumps wall", even though he doesn't exactly know what it's going to be. Nobody does. But for some reason he expects Congress to take him at his word and cut him a check for what he promises to be big and beautiful. At this point in time, the "vanity project" descriptor that has been thrown around lately seems accurate. He's not holding out for a secure border, he's holding out for his legacy project.

"A wall" is not a terrible idea, if you use the term loosely. A virtual wall would work just as well as a physical wall in most places. I am 100% in favor of border security and immigration reform, but not in the way that he is trying to sell it.

Quote:
Trump is a different person as a President. I don't know him personally enough to call him a shithead. He's had some grand failures, but also successes.
There is no doubt that being the POTUS will test a persons character. But, looking at the people that hes chosen to surround himself with in the past and presently, and the willful neglect he gives them when they don't kiss his ass, that test has exposed a very flawed and dangerous character.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #1146
RCC Addict

Fences/walls are a deterrent to be used in conjunction with other layers of security. It will direct people to other (easier) areas to cross that can be more heavily patrolled, and it will slow others down enough that border patrol would be more likely to be able to intervene on the US side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

And what about those that don't want a wall built? That's a horribly thought out project.
Hence the word volunteers. Ya know....land owners who are sick of people trespassing on their property.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #1147
Suck it up!

Quote:
Fences/walls are a deterrent to be used in conjunction with other layers of security. It will direct people to other (easier) areas to cross that can be more heavily patrolled, and it will slow others down enough that border patrol would be more likely to be able to intervene on the US side.
Nobody is arguing with that.

Quote:
Hence the word volunteers. Ya know....land owners who are sick of people trespassing on their property.
Yes, but you've got to get them all to agree to it or it won't be very effective.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #1148
Suck it up!

I happened upon this while researching something semi-related. It's an interesting read.

Quote:
"It seemed more like an effort to get something done in a certain time frame and take credit for moving the border wall idea along, and make good on a campaign promise than on getting or soliciting ideas that may be in the best interest of government taxpayers,"
https://www.engineering.com/BIM/Arti...er-Budget.aspx
Old 10-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #1149
Quarry Creeper

https://youtu.be/copmbWxCRw4

Bagdadi is now busy with his 72 goats in their so called heaven
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:27 PM   #1150
Rock Crawler

Chickened out i hear, deploying a suicide belt, and was even so kind to take his kids with him.
That Mexico wall, they should make it wider and taller, so it was like one long row of living space, and the give the houses / apartments for free to people that will then act as border patrol too.
I would live there NP, if i was allowed the same rights as Americans in that part of the country.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote

News thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Darra News! News from the past Juuti Videos! 19 01-22-2017 01:49 AM
good news and bad news foproy South Carolina 3 06-13-2011 02:45 PM
Good news and bad news.... Jeckler Chit Chat 6 03-17-2005 12:42 PM