Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Arachnids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Arachnids

So, uh, sorry if you're arachnophobic, this thread might not be for you if you are. I was watching a random documentary on Spiders the other day (yes, I got bored), which is actually kind of odd because I am not generally a huge fan of spiders. However, there was a section of the documentary about jumping spiders, and I found myself fascinated by them.

Jumping Spiders, if you aren't familiar with them, generally tend to be small (I mean, really small), and they don't spin webs. They're active hunters, they pounce on insects to hunt. They also don't tend to bite in defense, and well, they're charismatic. We have two species of them here, and I always find myself watching one or two with a sense of amusement, not fear. I've had jumpers on my hands, and they just... don't care that they're on your hand. I actually like these little guys.

Other spiders, thankfully we don't get much nasty stuff here besides Black Widows, I generally don't freak out over, but I don't enjoy watching them. We have Orb Weavers, which while pretty, and sometimes HUGE, are stationary 90% of the time, and hiding the other 10%. Wolf spiders kind of freak me out, but I generally just grab a sheet of paper and put them outside. Hobo spiders and Black Widows get KOS. I don't like squishing them, too messy, so I get some compressed air in a can and freeze the shit out of them.

Anyone else got a favorite spider? Am I just freaking weird for liking Jumping Spiders?
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Arachnids

I ont like spiders much, but I did feed a banana spider while I was in korea once. one of my buddies has the video. they like to spring their web back and forth at you if your getting to close. I think its because they are trying a different angle at catching prey. his legs stretched out were as big as my hands. body is small of course but they look big. don't get to close to them.

ive never been in the sand box but ive heard stories of the "camel spider" not a spider but still and arachnid. kinda odd. but they "chase" you. they are just trying to stay in the shade in reality.

if I could have a pet spider, it would probably be some tarantula that's chill and doesn't like to move much. it would be kinda cool to just have one chill there while I build a kit. but that's what my cat does. so no need for a spider.

on another note, I don't like spiders. they put their webs everywhere under my 1:1 project. its annoying. so this weekend I get to spray mint water in the garage everywhere.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

I have a couple of tiny little spiders spread out all over my apartment, actually the whole building is dominated by spiders, but they eat what I think are fruit flies before they can fly, not really sure, but they're both very tiny. The basement is over run with daddy long legs types which eventually get big enough that they're a bit weird to see that big.

I watched this the other day because I do like the mantids cause they're scary but still cool, and I'm sharing it because there's a jumping spider and it's a pretty sweet video.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

^^Cool vid

Spiders don't bother me, they're bros. As mentioned, they eat insects and other things that annoy me. As long as they're in a corner, and not in my space, they can stay rent free. I did have a Chilean Rose hair Tarantula when I was a kid. Odd at first, and until they get used to you they'll inject hairs from their abdomen into your skin that make you itch like hell. But once used to you, they're chill as can be. Mine liked hanging out on the front of my shirt, warmth I suppose, and having it's belly rubbed, it would just completely relax like a weird eight legged dog, whereas normally they fight to get back on their feet. I could grab it's fangs, do whatever, it didn't care, and never once tried to bite. I had a pretty large terrarium for it, and it was kinda cool to watch how they burrow for a home. And feeding time was fun to watch. Sumbitch could launch from one end of a 20gal tank to the other in the blink of an eye and already have a cricket in it's mandibles shoving it into it's mouth. I also had a huge wolf spider in my parents basement. She'd lived behind my fly tying desk, and would climb up the wall and sit in the heat from the magnifying lamp while I tied flies. Kept all the bugs away from my expensive fly tying materials, and also never bothered me at all.

Also, first one down a MTB trail in the morning gets all the spiderwebs, and little tree spiders with them about 50% of the time, to the face. I have friends that will freak, I stop at the end of the trail and clear 'em off. I've literally seen them crawling on my sunglasses while riding. They won't hurt you.

Last edited by hpiguy; 06-01-2017 at 02:12 PM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I too had tarantulas , gentle and pretty, except for that cricket...........

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

To this day one of the strangest sensations I've ever had was a tarantula crawling up my arm when I was a kid. Cool critters.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

There are plenty of big spiders in the bush around me ( hand sized Golden Orb and Australian Tarantula ) ,.They are cool when I see them and can observe them but when they surprise me , it scares about 3 colors of crap out of me !
The Golden Orb have a habit of building webs over trails and the web is really strong , I have a bad memory of trying to rip my clothes off after riding my mtb through a web at speed and not being able to stop while knowing the spider is on me somewhere. ... ugh..
Here is a Tarantula that lives on one of my regular trails , I have been watching her for about 5 years , shes pretty cool . Creepy but cool. The hole is about 30mm wide .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have 4 tarantula's so I guess I'm in the like spiders club..they are a very necessary part of the ecosystem.
I had 15 or so at one point

Last edited by vonclod; 06-03-2017 at 05:47 PM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
^^Cool vid

Spiders don't bother me, they're bros. As mentioned, they eat insects and other things that annoy me. As long as they're in a corner, and not in my space, they can stay rent free. I did have a Chilean Rose hair Tarantula when I was a kid. Odd at first, and until they get used to you they'll inject hairs from their abdomen into your skin that make you itch like hell. But once used to you, they're chill as can be. Mine liked hanging out on the front of my shirt, warmth I suppose, and having it's belly rubbed, it would just completely relax like a weird eight legged dog, whereas normally they fight to get back on their feet. I could grab it's fangs, do whatever, it didn't care, and never once tried to bite. I had a pretty large terrarium for it, and it was kinda cool to watch how they burrow for a home. And feeding time was fun to watch. Sumbitch could launch from one end of a 20gal tank to the other in the blink of an eye and already have a cricket in it's mandibles shoving it into it's mouth. I also had a huge wolf spider in my parents basement. She'd lived behind my fly tying desk, and would climb up the wall and sit in the heat from the magnifying lamp while I tied flies. Kept all the bugs away from my expensive fly tying materials, and also never bothered me at all.

Also, first one down a MTB trail in the morning gets all the spiderwebs, and little tree spiders with them about 50% of the time, to the face. I have friends that will freak, I stop at the end of the trail and clear 'em off. I've literally seen them crawling on my sunglasses while riding. They won't hurt you.
One of my buds has a 27 year old Rosy..at least 27 years old as it was full grown when he got it..still doing fine.
A little info..South American T's will kick hairs as a defence, and the Asian and African T's are more likely to strike/bite..not that the often do, but some you just know will not tolerate being handled.

Last edited by vonclod; 06-03-2017 at 05:53 PM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:28 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I saw a Trantula when I lived in Louisiana. I looked it up online, and apparently Trantulas are extremely rare in Louisiana. Tried to get a pic of it, but it decided it wanted to hide from me.

I've never had a pet spider, but I have had a Scorpion (Emperor scorpion) as a pet. Was very chill, let me hold it to move it and such.

There are a few videos of people with Jumping Spiders as pets on Youtube, I'm actually considering getting one later on, when I can get my terrariums back up and running.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote

Arachnids - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone interested in Fish, Reptiles and or Arachnids as pets? Robert51483 Chit Chat 3 10-20-2010 02:39 PM