Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Camaro Vs "The Ring" (faster than GTR, Z06, 911, 488, Zonda)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #21

Default Re: Camaro Vs "The Ring" (faster than GTR, Z06, 911, 488, Zonda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
but we're not talking about your manhood, we're talking about the man who drove a 7:16 at the nurburging doing heel-toe and rowing gears in a brand new production CAMARO. is that not faster than a BUNCH of paddle shifted rigs times?
It's an amazing car with an awesome driver. Neither are average. His time would probably have been even faster with paddle shifting.

And we know
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #22

173mph in 6th gaer awesome !!!!
Kartooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #23
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
I thought it would hit a higher top speed on that last straight though. Seemed to rev out 5th and then not climb much in 6th.
The end of the straight is uphill. Not many cars continue to increase their speed there unless they have stupid high horsepower. After the left kink it's downhill and speed increases but only 5 or so mph.

There's a stretch in the beginning, after the jump and right turn. It's probably about the fastest the cars see on the entire track. And I looked,

"The Flugplatz is one of the most important parts of the Nürburgring because after the two very fast right handers comes what is possibly the fastest part of the track: a downhill straight called Kottenborn, into a very fast curve called Schwedenkreuz (Swedish Cross). Drivers are flat for some time here."

Don't forget, Honda's Civic hit 173 mph.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; It's not always about what's fastest. Some just prefer the interaction between man and machine of a true manual gearbox, or that feeling of seamless heel/toe shifts, the ability to skip straight from sixth to third for a pass, etc. To each their own, but in a pure sports car I'll take a true manual every single time. That being said, my daily driver has paddles if you want them, but it's far from a sports car.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again; It's not always about what's fastest. Some just prefer the interaction between man and machine of a true manual gearbox, or that feeling of seamless heel/toe shifts, the ability to skip straight from sixth to third for a pass, etc. To each their own, but in a pure sports car I'll take a true manual every single time. That being said, my daily driver has paddles if you want them, but it's far from a sports car.
My friggin' Kia Soul has the option for "paddle shifting". 160 pavement wrinkling horsepower. They put paddle shifting on everything these days. It does add some fun to driving, but like most people I rarely use it.

Manual is an intangible fun factor. I like my motorcycles with manual clutches and transmissions. I can't ever see myself buying an automatic or electric shifter. I've ridden a utility quad with push button, electronic shifting and it was convenient, but I wouldn't want it on a sport quad.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #26
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:

funny you mention that.
i had a experience yesterday along the same lines.

some of you know i bought a corvette about 9 months or so ago. i still have my camaro, i parked it in the backyard and its been there collecting weeds since. :(
well yesterday i aired up the 4 slicks and pulled it out and took it for a drive.
now the vette is faster in every way.
but i forgot how visceral and mechanical the camaro was. it was unbelievably awesome to drive, i had forgot that.
the transmission was notchy as hell and but direct and felt so good. it bounced and bucked like a race car, i could feel everything translated threw the steering wheel, the gas petal took effort to move the spring, not electronic, the steering was heavy not over assisted. the motor just BEGED to go at every rpm with INSTANT responce.
the whole car just FELT like a race car, and an extension of my body. i couldnt stop smiling the entire drive or resist the urge "have some fun"
like i said the vette is faster in every way, but the experience is massivly dull and dumbed down compared to the camaro.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 06-26-2017 at 01:11 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
... the gas petal took effort to move the spring, not electronic, ....

I like the modern comforts and advancements however is one I still want manual and agree with you here. I want that heavy gas pedal knowing I'm opening the throttle body to release the bald eagles.

Last edited by calcagno45; 06-26-2017 at 01:30 PM.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
My friggin' Kia Soul has the option for "paddle shifting". 160 pavement wrinkling horsepower. They put paddle shifting on everything these days. It does add some fun to driving, but like most people I rarely use it.

Manual is an intangible fun factor. I like my motorcycles with manual clutches and transmissions. I can't ever see myself buying an automatic or electric shifter. I've ridden a utility quad with push button, electronic shifting and it was convenient, but I wouldn't want it on a sport quad.
Yep, agreed. My Subie makes slightly less power, but it handles decently for what it is. But like I said, it's far from being a sports car. BUT, I can't drive a sports car day to day for the places I take it, and there's not enough room inside for the gear I haul for work anyway.

Automatic motos and quads have been around for decades now. For a utility quad, I'm sure it's fine. But they've never sold well in the moto realm, ever.

Quote:
funny you mention that.

some of you know i bought a corvette about 9 months or so ago. i still have my camaro, i parked it in the backyard and its been there collecting weeds since. :(
well yesterday i aired up the 4 slicks and pulled it out and took it for a drive.
but i forgot how visceral and mechanical the camaro was. it was unbelievably awesome to drive, i had forgot that.
the transmission was notchy as hell and but direct and felt so good. it bounced and bucked like a race car, i could feel everything translated threw the steering wheel, the gas petal took effort to move the spring, not electronic, the steering was heavy not over assisted. the motor just BEGED to go at every rpm with INSTANT responce.
the whole car just FELT like a race car, and an extension of my body. i couldnt stop smiling the entire drive or resist the urge "have some fun"
like i said the vette is faster in every way, but the experience is massivly dull and dumbed down compared to the camaro.
I knew the Vette as we think of it was doomed when one of the reviews took the time and page space to mention that two complete sets of golf clubs would fit in the hatch. When you start softening your pure sports car to appeal to 90 year olds in FL, well...
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #29
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
I want that heavy gas pedal knowing I'm opening the throttle body to release the bald eagles.
haha thats so funny. Texas Speed just released a new cam called the "bald Eagle"....

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-6155-c...lications.aspx

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 06-26-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #30

Quote:
funny you mention that.

My Soul must have a pen spring on the go pedal because it's way too touchy for me. The car is almost 5 years old and I still haven't gotten used to it.

Quote:
Yep, agreed. My Subie makes slightly less power, but it handles decently for what it is. But like I said, it's far from being a sports car. BUT, I can't drive a sports car day to day for the places I take it, and there's not enough room inside for the gear I haul for work anyway.

Automatic motos and quads have been around for decades now. For a utility quad, I'm sure it's fine. But they've never sold well in the moto realm, ever.
It sucks that as you get older you really do start to admit that you don't need a fast car and you really do need something practical. And I don't even have kids.

This was a Honda Foreman or Rancher 350 ES. It goes back quite a while.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #31
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=STANG KILLA SS;5722032]
Quote:

haha thats so funny. Texas Speed just released a new cam called the "bald Eagle"....

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-6155-c...lications.aspx

Yep, need to watch Cleetus on youtube. Texas Speed made that cam for him.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GARRETTmitch/videos
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #32
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i loved leroy since the begining, has given me SO many long thoughts about bad project ideas

i love the road kill vette cart too.

sadly tracks do not allow these cars. they must be fendered, insurance does not allow any open wheel cars at track days :(
ive asked when i shelved the camaro this one path i thought about sending it down...
Old 06-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Yea, the Roadkill Vette cart is nasty! I wish they did more with it(although Rotsun is getting more love). Leroy is pretty insane, love all the tire smoking power now. It'll be an interest race between him and Kyle's Unicorn C5.

No open wheel racing, I'm sure there's logic behind it, but what's the problem. From watching your racing vids, there's no "rubbin' is racing" going on.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
funny you mention that.

It makes we wonder what the Air Force guys felt when they put the F-16 into service, with all the fly-by-wire stuff and no feedback.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #35

Quote:
I like the modern comforts and advancements however is one I still want manual and agree with you here. I want that heavy gas pedal knowing I'm opening the throttle body to release the bald eagles.
agreed. i love new stuff, i wouldnt complain at all about having everything drive by wire if it means 500+hp and laser guided handling, but theres something to feeling whats on the other side of the cable. like a holley double pumper where you can feel the extra tension of the secondary linkage.

i do prefer a hydraulic clutch tho... but thats still mechanical i guess.

one thing i cant stand are touch controls for things like the radio or heater. i much prefer a tactile knob or dial over a display screen.

i still use a 17/18 year old hockey puck mac mouse because i havent taken the time to get used to a laser one... no lie.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:02 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I don't understand the "real men shift gears" attitude. Real men use carbs not FI. Real men don't need power steering. Real men used bias ply tires. Real men used drum brakes. Real men didn't need roll cages. Technology advances for the better. Manual transmissions are old and slow compared to newer technologies. Embrace it don't hate it.
does the term dogbox offend you too? lol. efi is cool. but there are still carbed cars that are better than efi hands down. cars in the 7's and 6's in the 1/4 still running carbs.

id rather shift than let a shit trans do it for me. and electronic throttle bodies suck. they make a car less peppy than a cable one imho.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
does the term dogbox offend you too? lol. efi is cool. but there are still carbed cars that are better than efi hands down. cars in the 7's and 6's in the 1/4 still running carbs.

id rather shift than let a shit trans do it for me. and electronic throttle bodies suck. they make a car less peppy than a cable one imho.
I'm not sure why you think I was offended. I wasn't offended at all. It takes a lot to truly offend me.

EFI runs better than carbs. You can't argue that with a straight face. Carbs are tuned for one scenario whereas EFI can adjust on the fly. Yes, there are lots of cars with carbs that make tons of power. I would never argue that. But there are also lots of cars with FI that make massive power. And I don't know about you, but the convenience of FI on a daily driver, especially on cold, winter mornings, is great!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

My dd autocross truck is carbed, has manual steering a 5 speed trans with a suoer short throw shifter and a ceramic clutch. No bias tires or 4 wheel drum brakes although it still has rear drums so I guess that half counts.

It's just fun to drive, fun to throw at a twisty mountain road at way higher speeds than are really prudent and it puts a huge smile on my face.

All the modern stuff is nice but it ain't for me. I like my old junk.

The dude driving that Camaro is a driver. That car was manhandled around the track 100%.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=JatoTheRipper;5722249]
EFI runs better than carbs. You can't argue that with a straight face. QUOTE]

try and tell that to a pro stock guy (doorslammers) efi made the cars slower lol.

and I honestly would even prefer a blow through carb for a turbo setup.

and carbs are cheaper to tune and easier to play around with. less computer stuff the happier I am. unless its a barra.. then I could be happy with one of those.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Quote:
EFI runs better than carbs. You can't argue that with a straight face. QUOTE]

try and tell that to a pro stock guy (doorslammers) efi made the cars slower lol.

and I honestly would even prefer a blow through carb for a turbo setup.

and carbs are cheaper to tune and easier to play around with. less computer stuff the happier I am. unless its a barra.. then I could be happy with one of those.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the time FI was introduced the NHRA also introduced other restrictions. Those restrict performance more than FI.

Camaro Vs "The Ring" (faster than GTR, Z06, 911, 488, Zonda) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
Speed Ch: "Are you faster than a Redneck" new show (imports vs muscle) STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 20 12-11-2012 04:35 PM
~The Scale Shop~ Rock Ring Blowout Sale! + introducing new 1.9 "Rock Stomper" Ring STANG KILLA SS Vendors Tires and wheels 11 10-08-2007 09:30 PM