Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Amazon Fire 8 users?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
MODERATOR™

Default Amazon Fire 8 users?

That should spark a fire under the Google ad machine...

For $80 I'm not finding a good reason to not get one. My iMac is quickly dying because it's 4 operating systems behind because it's from 2007, and I'm pretty sure Google ads are slowing killing it, and I'm a Prime member. Instead of storing music with iTunes, I'll be an Amazon cloud or streamer user, or CD buyer (which I have been all my life). I'm switching over from stealing music to buying records again anyways, to get me back to what I like. Granted I could wipe the iMac clean and use it solely to store pictures and music... And Youtube has all the newest stuff anyways without any illegal activities, so I can try before I buy there. I barely watch movies, so no need to borrow those for free from the internet and can use Prime anyways. UFC and Formula 1 highlights on Youtube are good enough lately.

I mean seriously, why buy another expensive computer when there's an $80 option that works for me? Other than a keyboard, mouse and a larger screen, which I can use the old Playstation 3 to watch the same stuff on, I can't convince myself not to get one. Expensive computer money could be turned into a PS4 and new compatible wheel so I can drive the new games...

Seem logical to you guys?

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazo...ords=fire&th=1

Last edited by EeePee; 08-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Amazon Fire 8 users?

Sounds like a plan.

I haven't used a "computer" of any kind since the IPad was released.

I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I still use the IPhone and IPad as they are the preferred devices of my wife and son.

Makes it easy to share music, movies, games, and apps like Kindle, Audible, etc...

But to be honest, many a time I personally have wanted to switch to an Amazon Fire.

My newest IPad (about a year old now) was like $800.00!

That's money I could use for other endeavors. Meanwhile the Latest Fire is still really affordable and does everything I need or want to do.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well, I have a 6.5" Amazon tablet, so here's my take on it. I had a Google Nexus 7 that I really liked, until the OS got so bloated that performance made it basically a hassle to use. And that was only about two years into ownership, for an almost $300 gadget.

Switching over to the fire tablet, there are some differences in the OS (as with all Android OS depending on what hardware it's running on) as it's a custom version of Android built just for Amazon. And I really don't like the way some things are implemented. They are also locked down from the factory, so you can't even get to the Google Play store (where you get every single Android app on the planet), and that really limits how useful it is to me. You can side load those things, and they should work, but there is no guarantee. There is also no guarantee that the next fire OS update won't break them, remove them, or disable your tablet completely for monkeying with it in the first place. My tablet also has very odd placement for the buttons as well, especially the volume controls. And I hate typing on any touch keyboard if it's more than just a few words. It is also a bit sluggish as far as opening apps, executing commands, etc. But at this price point, there's only so much you're going to get for your money. For the most part, it works, and does most of the things I need a tablet to do.

I personally could never get by with just a tablet, as I use my computer for a lot of things that tablets just cannot do. But it sounds like it might work for you. And if not, you're only out $80.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Yeah, I'm an Apple fan. iMacs and iPods, iPod Touches and an iPhone without service (essentially an expensive Touch) and Apple wireless router thing. Simply because it's easy and I like the ease of use. Cost wasn't an issue, and some of those things were even free, granted old and out dated. And ease of sharing is nice.

I've become a basic computer user, with basic wants. Going to an Android machine won't be too big of a deal, and probably similar to going from Microsoft to Apple. Took just a little while, but you get over it quick. Especially if it's just a few things. I'm not an app crazy person. Basic wants.

I mean, at this point, $80 for a basic potato seems way more logical than hundreds of dollars for a nice dinner plate desktop computer. If it goes out of date in a year, that's whatever 80 divided by 365 is. Not much.

Their thought process is, lure you into their app store or buy stuff from their warehouse and that's how they make up the difference compared to expensive machines. But if you just use the thing for the simple stuff, included apps and already paid for Prime (years now), again which I've been paying for anyways, it seems smart.

And yeah, I'd rather it be another overly expensive and convenient Apple iProduct™ but saving a buncha money seems smart for me at this point.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well, for the record, I own a Macbook Pro, my first iPhone lasted almost 6 years, and I'm on my second one. And when the new company asked what my phone I wanted, I got another iPhone. I appreciate their build quality (at least in the past), the fact they just work all the time, and the seamless integration between devices. That being said, I've wanted an iPad for a long time, but have never been willing to spend the money on one. And now under the new CEO they're straying from one of the very things they were always great at, long term support via OS updates. I rarely use a tablet anymore, as there is a laptop sitting next to my recliner all the time. And as stated, I much prefer a physical keyboard. And honestly, holding a tablet up constantly gets old as well. For sparse use, they're great, but I don't want to watch a TV show or movie on one, or a laptop for that matter. For any real work to be done, my Macbook Pro is my video / photo processing rig, and as you know I have a decent gaming PC as well. I abandoned consoles last year, which I always swore I'd never do. So, I'm an equal opportunity gadget guy, Winblows, OSX, iOS, and Android all living under my roof. I buy what suits my needs at the time, and it sounds like you're doing the same.

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-19-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Yep, I very much understand and agree with that train of thought. I'm just amazed at the $80 thing. And that it that it's (what?) up to date with all the new bullshit so it works right, which really is the only reason to buy new crap.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That's exactly why I bought the 6.5" fire tab. All I really needed was a tablet with the new Bluetooth LE to connect to my Garmin watch for the Connect app. I did have to side load the Google Play store to get the app, but it worked great until I got a new phone with up to date BT protocols onboard. I caught it on sale for $40. I also have a Kindle touch, and it's been going strong for, hell I don't even know how long, it's that old. And I'm a HUGE fan of Amazon, and a Prime member also. Best customer service on the planet today IMO.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

Yep. So you're gonna make me spend $80. The original question was why should I not spend it. I can't find a reason. Dang does Amazon know what's up or what? And they just opened up a pick up store right down the street (on OSU campus), which saves a day off the 2 day Prime delivery action.

They are literally. Taking. Over.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You said it yourself, no reason not to buy it. Even it doesn't replace a PC, you'll still get a lot of use out of it either way. And that was Beezos's plan all along, to put the screws to brick and mortar stores, and outdated business models with shit customer service. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I want or need it right now, and I'll go to a store and get it. But probably 75% of things I buy apart from food come from Amazon. I generally get something every week, even if it's small stuff. Hell, I got a dash cam Friday, and have a police scanner showing up Monday. LOL
Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

my daughter only uses a real PC for typing long documents for school work, or to play minecraft. Rest of the time she on her 10" Galaxy Tab 4. She streams everything.

Only time I use my PC is for games, CAD work and Photo/vid editing.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ram at 1.5 GB is low.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Ram at 1.5 GB is low.
Compared to what in that price range?
Old 08-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #13
MODERATOR™

Well pork me in the charcoal, I bought one because it's $60.

Heh.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to your impression of this when you get it and try it out...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Compared to what in that price range?
Nothing to compare as competition, but considering an HD screen and screen size, people are going to use it, for a lot of multitasking. Also, pre-installed softwares eat into that ram.

It would have been better to have some more ram with a bit of price increase.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #16
Come and take them!®

There is a 32GB one, 1.5 GB ram standard, and you can also add a micro sd card w/up to 256GB storage. Chit, for $60 it works for me. Actually, I got a his and hers being delivered today.
40th wedding anniversary today (how many of you suckers can say "Been there, done that).
Checkout Food/Cooking thread later for my finished gourmet dinner meal I'm cookin' on the grill.. ( if I remember to take pic of finished product)
Porterhouse smothered w/butter and seasoning & 8 oz. tails.
Preview:
Attached Images

Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
Come and take them!®

Amendment to above post:
12 oz ea. tails and 2.6 lb porterhouse.

Americans, jeesh.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Never imagined from your posts you were that old Hunter (I mean that in a good way, not that you come across as immature), huge congrats!! And I've never been a big lobster fan, but I love cajun crawfish, go figure.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #19
Come and take them!®

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Never imagined from your posts you were that old Hunter.
64 years young, be 65 April 2017. Still a wild child I guess.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #20
MODERATOR™

This breaking news just in: 64 ain't young.

Amazon Fire 8 users? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
amazon ? hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 11 01-13-2014 08:12 AM
Amazon Prime Air Meatwad Chit Chat 17 12-02-2013 06:55 PM
Amazon.com Wraith parts? silverbullet32 Axial Wraith 4 11-25-2012 02:44 PM
Amazon.com used items Tortuga275 Chit Chat 3 08-12-2010 02:20 PM