Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: URC down?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default URC down?

Ultimate RC forums - Jang finally pulled the plug on the terminally ill forum?
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: URC down?

Or it crashed again....

I dont think he will spend much time fixing it this time. If he does awesome. Looks like new members were joining
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just noticed that as well. Went to check in and HTTP 500! Hope it's not gone for good. It's a good basher forum but it's been on life support since Jang transitioned to Lego from RC.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Or it crashed again....

I dont think he will spend much time fixing it this time. If he does awesome. Looks like new members were joining
Wish he would fix it, great forum with lots of useful how tos, I've tried to join before, you have to email him, never got response so oh well, it will never grow or carry on for long that way.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Wish he would fix it, great forum with lots of useful how tos, I've tried to join before, you have to email him, never got response so oh well, it will never grow or carry on for long that way.
Yeah, i'm not sure why he implemented the email to join business. It's barely an afterthought for him to keep that site up and running. Which, I'm not bashing on him for it. His domain, he dictates how it's run. Just a shame to let it die. As you said, a LOT of good info on there. Was the first RC forum I joined after my addiction started.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #6

If you don't have an approval method of some sort for new members, the boards fill up with spambots very quickly, and manual approval is tough, because quite often it's impossible to distinguish the spambots from people that use odd usernames & email addresses. I assume this is why he's got it set up the way he does. It's rough for new people to join, but it's about the only way to avoid spending hours per day getting rid of spam.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

This has happened before. Forum was down for a while a few years back. I don't think it's gone for good - especially not without an announcement of some sort. Most likely having technical issues.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hope so.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #9

JANG admitted he gave up on URC years ago. First it was because his local RC track closed. Then it was because LEGO videos made him more money. Then it got hacked or crashed or something and he said he didn't want to put in the effort to move it over to modern software. That site is dead. The only thing keeping it alive is active members. Kinda like this site now that I think about it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If I were FS I would be so pissed off- he was going back and repairing his old threads after the photobucket fiasco. May have been for nothing.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The only thing keeping it alive is active members. Kinda like this site now that I think about it.
Well isn't that pretty much every forum at this point? Otherwise if the mods left here we'd start having pages of spam show up and threads never being pruned.

Otherwise if the forum stays down for a couple more weeks, I'll probably just throw in the towel on it as well. A lot of regulars disappeared after the first outage and if we have a second one of equal magnitude, then I have to wonder how many of us will be left.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Well isn't that pretty much every forum at this point? Otherwise if the mods left here we'd start having pages of spam show up and threads never being pruned.

Otherwise if the forum stays down for a couple more weeks, I'll probably just throw in the towel on it as well. A lot of regulars disappeared after the first outage and if we have a second one of equal magnitude, then I have to wonder how many of us will be left.
Very true. The only thing different about URC is that JANG is the only mod. So without him nobody is watching the site.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Only the main URC page is up, but the news feed is blank. Nothing else works.

Jang's brick channel is very popular, as a Lego freak myself I enjoy his reviews and builds. But, I do wish he'd come back to RC. He has stated that he has no intention of going back to RCs, but the RC bug is kind of like herpes, you can make it go away for a while, but it always comes back.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post

Agreed. I understand it is his site so it is his way but at the end of the day, having a huge outage for weeks is very detrimental.

You can say that the forums are in a decline that may be true but that outage certainly did not help matters. There for awhile it was pretty active with the loyal members

Not sure why he has not enlisted the help from loyal senior members that were willing to help moderate...
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

This was just posted on his front page :

"Forum is down for unknown technical reasons. It is being looked into. Apologies for the inconvenience."
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
This was just posted on his front page :

"Forum is down for unknown technical reasons. It is being looked into. Apologies for the inconvenience."
Well, at least now we know he wasn't buried in a LEGO avalanche.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Sooo... who's gonna start a "What are you guys doing right now?" thread here on RCC?
Old 09-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Sooo... who's gonna start a "What are you guys doing right now?" thread here on RCC?
Whoever is from over there . lol
That was a funny comment!
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Agreed. I understand it is his site so it is his way but at the end of the day, having a huge outage for weeks is very detrimental.

You can say that the forums are in a decline that may be true but that outage certainly did not help matters. There for awhile it was pretty active with the loyal members

Not sure why he has not enlisted the help from loyal senior members that were willing to help moderate...
I'm surprised he didn't just hand it over to someone else that wanted to manage it. Either a mod or someone could have taken over the maintenance of the site. Would have been better for that community overall, but who knows.

I was getting back into that forum after a 4 year RC hiatus... and it would really suck to lose that forum. There are a few links for some guides that root back to there...
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren.dnb View Post
I'm surprised he didn't just hand it over to someone else that wanted to manage it. Either a mod or someone could have taken over the maintenance of the site. Would have been better for that community overall, but who knows.

I was getting back into that forum after a 4 year RC hiatus... and it would really suck to lose that forum. There are a few links for some guides that root back to there...
The main page was down for a while, now it is back up, so that is a hopeful sign.

It does seem odd that he is just letting the whole mess die instead of passing the torch to someone who wants to do reviews the way he did them. With as popular as his channel and forum were, sell them to someone. But, one of the things we like about him is that he has his own style.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote

URC down? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
URC shut down JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 12 04-18-2007 10:22 PM