Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Why Don't Electric Cars Have Multi-Gear Transmissions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

Default Why Don't Electric Cars Have Multi-Gear Transmissions?

People on this site often ask about 2-speed transmissions in their RC vehicle. Most often people tell them to avoid the extra complexity and weight and stick with a single speed.

This is a good read. It's about 1:1 vehicles, but it would be applicable to RC as well.

Quote:
Most electric cars have a single gear ratio. You probably understand the basic reasons for this, but the math is still super fascinating.

One of the biggest differences between electric cars and their conventional counterparts has to do with the drivetrain. An internal combustion vehicle has a multi-speed gearbox with numerous ratios; nearly every electric car has a single-speed transmission.

Implicitly, this makes sense. An electric motor delivers its maximum torque at zero RPM. Unlike an internal combustion engine, it doesn't need a system to disconnect it from the drivetrain to allow it to idle while the vehicle is stopped. But there's a more in-depth explanation to be had here, and it's fascinating.

Electric motors have a much larger RPM range than the typical internal combustion engine. And unlike a gas or diesel engine, an electric motor makes its best power output over an incredibly broad RPM range. So instead of packing the car with numerous gears to keep the engine in its happy zone, designers of electric cars just pick a gear ratio that provides a good compromise between acceleration and top speed. And with the typical electric motor capable of sustaining 20,000 RPM, the top speed often isn't even a limiting factor.

There's more that goes into this, too—delightful math and delicious graphics. And Jason Fenske of YouTube's Engineering Explained is here to go into the nerdy details like you've never had it explained to you before.

Source: Why Don't Electric Cars Have Multi-Gear Transmissions?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Why Don't Electric Cars Have Multi-Gear Transmissions?

I don't know about other people on this site, but I think 2 speed transmissions still hold value to some in the RC crawling world. Trailing is a good example of it, where you might want the taller gear to avoid having to hold throttle wide open on flat parts of the trail, whereas the lower speed gives you more finesse over the rough, rocky parts of the trail. Is it ideal for everyone - no - but I have seen people use it and like it on their trail rigs. I personally don't use 2 speed transmissions, but I see the appeal.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I run several rigs with a 2 speed - your reasoning is spot on. Plus, it's fun to shift - adds a dynamic element to driving.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If you have high enough motor rpms, and high enough voltage batteries, you can get away without shifitng gears in an ev - but, as detailed in the video, there are advantages to multi-gear transmissions. Tesla tried to put two-speeds in their earlier cars.

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/23/...sion-woes-get/

Fortunately, the axial 2-speed transmissions have proven to be reliable.

And we may see more of them in 1:1 EVs.

"Gasoline cars currently have something electrics don't: a [multi-gear] gearbox. This may be about to change though, as the advantage of having a choice of gears is simply too great for electric carmakers to ignore."

Multi-Speed Gearboxes Are Coming to EVs | PluginCars.com

ZF: Multi-Speed Transmissions Coming Soon For Electric Cars
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I run several rigs with a 2 speed - your reasoning is spot on. Plus, it's fun to shift - adds a dynamic element to driving.
This is the only reason I'd try a 2 speed - just another button to push and play with on the trail.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is the only reason I'd try a 2 speed - just another button to push and play with on the trail.
I would assume a high speed used correctly would result in less battery consumption.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have the AX2 two speed in my Wraith and really like it. The only downside is the cost of replacement parts for it. If you have a high HP setup, it chews up the internal gears much faster than I think it should, and the early ones had isses snapping some of the gear shafts as well.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you have a high HP setup, you don't really need a 2 speed. Although shifting is fun...

I run 2S on all my rigs, so the 2 speed gives great low end torque, and then wheelspeed when needed. For the most part, I run in low over obstacles and in technical sections, then shift into high for cruising along the trail, usually at 1/3 throttle or so. Saves a ton of battery.

I would think the same principle would work in a 1:1. Torque needs at highway speeds are far less than when accelerating. A simple transmission of some kind makes sense.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

A CVT type to keep it at peak efficiency. I win.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
clm
Quarry Creeper

Any motor/engine will have an area in their power curve where their output is most efficient, gearboxes are designed to try to keep the power plant running in this efficient area to maximize their fuel/electricity and keep things from overheating.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

Yes and a CVT will keep it at that exact number RPM whilst a multi geared transmission cannot. They're trying to though with these recent 8 speeds. Trying to be all Formula 1 like.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #12

CVTs are relatively weak and inefficient.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
CVTs are relatively weak and inefficient.
Weak and inefficient how? I have seen zero data to back this up. Matter of fact, CVT equipped cars almost always post higher average MPG than thier manual transmission equipped counterpart.

Unless you're talking about high HP applications, of which there are clearly better designed transmissions out there for that job.

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-30-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Weak and inefficient how? I have seen zero data to back this up. Unless you're talking about high HP applications, of which there are clearly better designed transmissions out there for that job.
Yes, exactly. In higher HP applications. A high power electric motor would most likely destroy CVTs.

Nissan uses CVTs in some of their vehicles. But CVTs aren't as efficient as manual transmissions.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #15
MODERATOR™

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._transmissions
Old 08-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Neither are automatics, or DSG or anything else, and they never will be as efficient as a manual transmission from a pure engineering standpoint. The CVT was never designed for go fast stuff, quite the contrary. Lots of manufacturers use them with varying success these days. If you haven't driven a new car with a well designed CVT, they've came a long way since Nissan started using them 10 or so years ago. For the record, Subie has one of the best reliability records on their CVTs, and I love mine for a daily driver.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I can't stand driving my wife's Honda Insight with CVT. It makes me insane. It just sits at 4500 RPM all the time and it has zero punch or passing power. I plan my passes on the highway with a calendar. I'm mostly against owning an electric car and definitely against driving a CVT daily. I just need motor sounds and the ability to shift when I want, how I want.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Calendar

FWIW I drove a BMW 118d with an 8 speed auto the other day and it sucks donkey balls. It has a sport+ mode in which it sucks donkey balls too, but louder and less fuel efficient.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I can't stand driving my wife's Honda Insight with CVT. It makes me insane. It just sits at 4500 RPM all the time and it has zero punch or passing power. I plan my passes on the highway with a calendar. I'm mostly against owning an electric car and definitely against driving a CVT daily. I just need motor sounds and the ability to shift when I want, how I want.
They aren't all setup that way. My car behaves that way below 1/2 throttle, keeps you in the happy spot torque wise, and gets awesome mileage. Above 1/2 throttle, it runs through 6 gear changes up to redline just like a standard auto. Or throw it in M mode and use the paddle shifters if you want. Paddles also have overide in any mode, handy here in the mountains for gearing down on long steep descents. I get they aren't for everyone, but not all of them suck.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Wow. I knew more than Nissan used CVTs, but I hadn't realized they became that popular. But notice how that list is mostly tiny engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Neither are automatics, or DSG or anything else, and they never will be as efficient as a manual transmission from a pure engineering standpoint. The CVT was never designed for go fast stuff, quite the contrary. Lots of manufacturers use them with varying success these days. If you haven't driven a new car with a well designed CVT, they've came a long way since Nissan started using them 10 or so years ago. For the record, Subie has one of the best reliability records on their CVTs, and I love mine for a daily driver.
I've driven old and new Nissan CVTs. I can't stand them. I specifically ruled out the Nissan Juke when I realized it had a CVT trans.

If I want a CVT I'll get a snowmobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post

Last edited by EeePee; 08-31-2017 at 02:14 AM. Reason: ooopsies

Why Don't Electric Cars Have Multi-Gear Transmissions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gas to electric rally cars squirl19 Rally 2 05-04-2014 01:04 PM
Why is there an idler gear in transmissions? Maggster Newbie General 5 10-09-2012 01:51 PM
Multi gear gearboxes: post em up tarmo120 General Crawlers 4 09-07-2011 03:27 PM
electric on road RC cars jdacus Non Crawler RC's 13 06-11-2009 01:14 PM