Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Texas Flood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Come and take them!®

Default Texas Flood

Prayers out to y'all. Be safe and hope for a speedy recovery. Be down there soon. GODS SPEED! "
"
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #2

Default Re: Texas Flood

It's insane! I feel so bad for those that are losing everything!

It blows my mind that people did not heed the warnings to evacuate! I know not everybody was given an evacuation warning, which really sucks. Those are the ones I'm worried about. Those that chose to ignore evacuations warnings are experiencing horrible consequences of their irresponsible actions right now.

This is the craziest photo I've seen so far.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Very tragic. We need to raise some money and send it to Texas. The rccrawler community could do some good I'm certain. I forgot to mention one of my all time favorite vendors is in Austin..... Locked Up Rc. My thoughts and prayers go out to Patrick, his team, family and all the folks being impacted by the water..............

Last edited by doubler; 08-28-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: text
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler View Post
Very tragic. We need to raise some money and send it to Texas. The rccrawler community could do some good I'm certain.
Be careful who you give your money to. A lot of charity organizations are for profit and even nonprofit organizations over pay their staff so the rightful recipients don't get much money at all...
Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's insane! I feel so bad for those that are losing everything!

It blows my mind that people did not heed the warnings to evacuate! I know not everybody was given an evacuation warning, which really sucks. Those are the ones I'm worried about. Those that chose to ignore evacuations warnings are experiencing horrible consequences of their irresponsible actions right now.

Agreed. I know it's very very bad down there and hope everyone takes a sec to realize Yes it can happen anywhere for any type of disaster. Pull together Texans like you always do.

I have not seen that photo and I rarely if ever get saddened by stupidity. For whomever is the family member(s) of those in the picture, a total Fawking shame on you. Plenty of warnings and I could give s Sh*t how busy your life is to not take care of your family member. No other BS excuse oh I couldn't get to her/him, the PoPo, lame as FEMA or the Red Jerk Me Off Cross told me to stay away. F All that, I'm gettin my Parent(s), family, friends, dog or whatever regardless.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Houston was never asked to evacuate to my knowledge. I know plenty of folks did - all the hotels around here are booked.

Austin is in pretty good shape - we got lots of rain but nothing like the poor folks on the coast. I feel terrible for everyone that's affected.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the update Highmark!
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Agreed. I know it's very very bad down there and hope everyone takes a sec to realize Yes it can happen anywhere for any type of disaster. Pull together Texans like you always do.

I have not seen that photo and I rarely if ever get saddened by stupidity. For whomever is the family member(s) of those in the picture, a total Fawking shame on you. Plenty of warnings and I could give s Sh*t how busy your life is to not take care of your family member. No other BS excuse oh I couldn't get to her/him, the PoPo, lame as FEMA or the Red Jerk Me Off Cross told me to stay away. F All that, I'm gettin my Parent(s), family, friends, dog or whatever regardless.
I've read, albeit briefly, some stories about this photo. Only one said that they were told not to evacuate because that home had never flooded before. I'm not sure if that is to be believed.

The good news is they all have been evacuated safely by the National Guard and local emergency workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Houston was never asked to evacuate to my knowledge. I know plenty of folks did - all the hotels around here are booked.

Austin is in pretty good shape - we got lots of rain but nothing like the poor folks on the coast. I feel terrible for everyone that's affected.
I just saw an article about the Mayor of Houston defending his decision not to evacuate! I think sometimes irresponsible decisions like this deserve criminal punishment, but that's another discussion.

I don't know anybody, personally in Florida. I'm friends with one RCer in Texas and he's posting a lot of updates to his page. He hadn't been hit too hard last I checked, but he was afraid for himself and his family.

If you want to look at the silver lining in disasters like this, you see stories of people of all colors, creeds, religions, and walks of life coming together to help save human lives. In the end that's all that matters. If only we could always be this kind to each other.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If they had ordered an evacuation there would have been chaos on the roads and traffic jams just like the last time they did that. Just as many people died on the roads as were killed by the storm. So you would have that PLUS all those highways are currently underwater right now and getting worse. Its like the Korean ferry captain who is in jail now because he told all those people to stay put. Yes it was a bad decision but if they all went up to the top it could have capsized it more and they all would have been swept out into high currents. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
Quote:
I've read, albeit briefly, some stories about this photo. Only one said that they were told not to evacuate because that home had never flooded before. I'm not sure if that is to be believed.

The good news is they all have been evacuated safely by the National Guard and local emergency workers.

I just saw an article about the Mayor of Houston defending his decision not to evacuate! I think sometimes irresponsible decisions like this deserve criminal punishment, but that's another discussion.

I don't know anybody, personally in Florida. I'm friends with one RCer in Texas and he's posting a lot of updates to his page. He hadn't been hit too hard last I checked, but he was afraid for himself and his family.

If you want to look at the silver lining in disasters like this, you see stories of people of all colors, creeds, religions, and walks of life coming together to help save human lives. In the end that's all that matters. If only we could always be this kind to each other.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
If they had ordered an evacuation there would have been chaos on the roads and traffic jams just like the last time they did that. Just as many people died on the roads as were killed by the storm. So you would have that PLUS all those highways are currently underwater right now and getting worse. Its like the Korean ferry captain who is in jail now because he told all those people to stay put. Yes it was a bad decision but if they all went up to the top it could have capsized it more and they all would have been swept out into high currents. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
That was the Mayor's excuse. I don't know how far in advance Houston knew about the flooding. It seemed liked that had a couple of days notice. Am I wrong about that?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You aren't gonna be able to evacuate Houston. The roads are nearly full capacity on a regular rush hour day. It might be worth trying if you are single and travel light and get a jump start. But if you have small children, I wouldn't attempt leaving.

Look at the corpus Christi evacuation. That traffic was thick. Houston flood region would have been 20x worse.

My brother in law had to leave his Jag on the beltway and walk 2 miles through knee deep water to get home...which is still dry.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That was the Mayor's excuse. I don't know how far in advance Houston knew about the flooding. It seemed liked that had a couple of days notice. Am I wrong about that?
I agree with the Mayor saying you can't evacuate a million people in 24hrs. No Shirt you dumbass. You and everybody else knew at least 5 or more days that it was going to be a Cat 3 or better. 5 days in an orderly fashion could be possible to evacuate and make it a ghost town. No excuses in my eyes.

IIRC Houston was flooded less than 6mo ago from the winter storms. That means to me, nothing was learned by anybody.

I lived through 2 of the most devastating forest fires in So Cal. Everything I/we learned from those is still in place today. I love BBQin but grab my go bag everytime I smell smoke. Live and learn or don't and blame no one but yourself. Listen to the authorities but also be smarter than they are cause they usually aren't.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well i do sort of like when god try to wash away the Danish capitol though i also get to pay for that every time, but i would never dare feel the same about any Texan.

Somebody need to get those little old ladies out of that soup.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Lived in Houston for almost five years. They never learn shit, ever. Every time a major storm hits (much less a Hurricane) it's the same old story, each and every time. My Aunt tried to evac during Katrina, she made it six miles in four hours. Turned around and was back home in less than 30 minutes. As others have mentioned, they wait till the very last minute to tell people to get out, and it causes mass hysteria and makes the normal traffic (which is already crazy) look like a leisurely drive to Grandma's house. Texas does a lot of things right, and I miss some of it, but dealing with meteorological events is one area they can't hit shit with a handful.

I hope our Texas peeps are safe 'n sound. I've been keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by hpiguy; 08-28-2017 at 06:25 PM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record you can't evacuate that many people in two days. I used to live down that way even in the best of weekdays you have gridlock you would have that plus everyone underwater right now. I know people like to automatically blame others for thier own decisions (living in a flood plane) but if you must blame the greed head developers who built all that on a swamp.

Last edited by Habanero; 08-28-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Why does America have so many wood houses instead of brick and cement? One hurricane and we see scattered wood planks which once used to be a house. These same wood planks turn into flying missiles that kill people.

O.... and RIP insurance companies of Texas.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Why does America have so many wood houses instead of brick and cement? One hurricane and we see scattered wood planks which once used to be a house. These same wood planks turn into flying missiles that kill people.

O.... and RIP insurance companies of Texas.
Cost.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
MODERATOR™

Quote:

Imagine how pruned their skin is!

More than before if that's possible.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Good news, all the folks in the nursing home pic were rescued hours later.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
At the risk of sounding like a broken record you can't evacuate that many people in two days.

People are ****ing stupid. You don't need nor should you need the government to tell you when your home is unsafe. You know how ****ed up it is being called out in a norester or hurricane to go fetch some dumb as sailboat who was to stupid to go home.

While I feel bad for all the property that was lost, I don't feel even one bit bad that people are stuck because they didn't take care of themselves and get out when they could.

They ought to be ashamed that they are causing their neighbors and first responders to risk their wellbeing because of a poor choice.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas Flood - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Colorado flood victims Alamo71 Chit Chat 0 09-17-2013 07:26 PM
Duluth flood diesel kawboy Minnesota 4 06-26-2012 08:55 AM
Mist or flood cooling Crawling Calvin Tools, and Procedures 32 08-23-2010 07:33 PM
The Iowa Flood Mnster Iowa 15 07-01-2008 08:05 PM
TXRCRCA East Texas chapter presents: comp 1 Tyler Texas mexiCAN Louisiana 12 05-18-2008 11:19 PM