Notices

Thread: other expensive hobbies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: other expensive hobbies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I've always wanted a super moto, but I'm so damn short.
Custom seat makers are your friend. I actually had them add 1" to mine. Then again, I have a buddy who's 5'6" or so, and absolutely rips on one. He does have to slide over to one side just a bit at stop signs though.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Custom seat makers are your friend. I actually had them add 1" to mine. Then again, I have a buddy who's 5'6" or so, and absolutely rips on one. He does have to slide over to one side just a bit at stop signs though.
I'm the same height as your buddy.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #23

Metal detecting
Knife-making
Camping/hiking
Kayaking
Guns

My problem is, I will go full bore into a new hobby and get burnt out on it real quick. I'm hoping RC's will stick around longer than the others.
Armymech666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm the same height as your buddy.
You'd be fine, they're lightweight. They're a ton of fun, but I'm probably going to sell mine next spring when the market goes back up. Just too crowded around here anymore, and I tend to get out of hand on the sumo. It's the bike's fault, I swear!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymech666 View Post
Metal detecting
Knife-making
Camping/hiking
Kayaking
Guns

My problem is, I will go full bore into a new hobby and get burnt out on it real quick. I'm hoping RC's will stick around longer than the others.
Knife making? Awesome! You should share pictures of your knives (and guns) on that thread.

I'm the same way. I get into a hobby fast and furious and I buy too much crap. Then I quickly tire of it. RC is the only addiction...err hobby...that has kept my interest for a lifetime.

Quote:
You'd be fine, they're lightweight. They're a ton of fun, but I'm probably going to sell mine next spring when the market goes back up. Just too crowded around here anymore, and I tend to get out of hand on the sumo. It's the bike's fault, I swear!
Aw man, don't sell it unless you replace it with another bike!

I think the Honda Grom is my next bike. It's slow and low. I think it will feel like my pit bike except for the fact that it's street legal. And it will be perfect for my 8 minute commute which is all back roads!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Nah man, I think I'm done. It's time to hang up the leathers unless they build a track close by, just too much risk on the street to ride how I want to ride. I dig the hell out of the Grom, and was big into pit bikes at one time.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

gaming and kids.
although i wouldn't consider kids a hobby lol they are a huge part of my life. they are the reason i really slowed down on the drifting. takes a lot of time for prep, repairs, track days... i have missed enough time with them getting deployed, so... drifting has taken a backseat lately. ironically, tires are kinda cheap? i spend maybe $100 each if they are nice ones lol i use 17 inch wheels and not making much power so cheap is good! i used to put down 400hp on 18's... that was pricey. but also before kids, soo...
i need to post some pics of my drift sleds in the 1:1 threads.
im really glad my son loves the scale RC truck stuff. he loves driving his barrage! and i take him on trails and stuff so its good bonding time.

we also bond playing xbox. he can drift the wheels off anything in forza! he really likes horizon for the open world environment. we both have hundreds of hours on those games. I've been playing forza since the first one. i don't have a sim rig but it would be awesome. but... thread title.

good stuff guys. oh im a bit of an audiophile myself. no tube amps or instruments, but i do appreciate a good audio system. I've been dying for a new home theater sub. i have 2 that have croaked in the last 10 years (JVC HTIB 8 and a nice polk 10). about to buy a house for the 2nd time. current residence (military housing) i don't want to shake the neighbors pictures off the walls so, no sub is ok for now.

movies! im also a huge nerd for cinema. i am one of those weirdos who actually buys them on bluray and still have tons of DVD's.

oh and somebody mentioned a 3D printer... oh man i have been drooling for one for a while now. and prices are GREAT now! i remember it was $3k to even think about it. i think pretty much any of the hobbies i mentioned would benefit from a 3D printer. especially RC and action figures. custom heads, unlimited weapons... i would LOVE to have a 3d printer. hopefully within the next couple years.

keep it going guys! good stuff!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Race Car crap
Building Retro game systems and tinkering with all that mess
Kids
Wife
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Nah man, I think I'm done. It's time to hang up the leathers unless they build a track close by, just too much risk on the street to ride how I want to ride. I dig the hell out of the Grom, and was big into pit bikes at one time.
Bummer. I used to be a speed addict so I get the desire for being a hooligan. Age has slowed me down. Plus, it got expensive. I'm not sure how I ever kept my license nor how I escaped getting my bike impounded. Now I'm fine with riding around close to the speed limit for the most part. That's why I want a Grom.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Hockey: playing-watching.
Night skiing.
Kayaking (when the dock is open, and I can rent one).
Expensive woollies (socks, I have no clue why I want them).
Baseball.
Buying parts for my trucks.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Mountain bikes...I thought bikes were cheap until I walked into the LBS for the first time and saw the full suspension section. I thought my $500 starter mountain bike was pretty sweet until I went to my current carbon hardtail. Now I stave off random thoughts of getting a full squish bike and hucking it off some sweet jumps every time I go ride.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #32

Biking
Kayaking
My truck
Video games
My kids
Wife
I think that's all, I also want to get back into motorcycles but all the other stuff keeps getting the way right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
motorstormer_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #33

I have a LOT of hobbies, none of which I have the time and money for since having kids, but I'm stubborn and won't let any of them go.

My biggest is cars. I have a thing for 80s GM vehicles. I've got an 85 IROC (hence my username), an 88 GTA, and an 87 GMC Sierra 3500, all in various states of disrepair, none of which actually drive right now. The IROC is getting a 403 inch LS stroker with LS3 heads. That motor's been built sitting on a stand for about 7 years now. I sold my Corvette years ago to pay for the transmission, but I need to sell something else to pay for the rear end. Then I need to find time to work on it.

GTA needs heads, truck needs everything.

I'm also an aspiring guitarist. 10 years ago I got into it, took lessons for a year until my son was born. Now that he's 8, he's into it, so we take lessons together.

Also a big gun nut, and that's a major money pit. I love ARs. Last year I built a 308 AR for deer hunting. I rarely have time to get to the range, so I haven't bought anything since.

I'm also an audiophile. I design and build speakers, though that hobby hasn't been active for years. I started building a set of cabinets about 4 years ago that I still need to finish.

These days, the only hobbies that get any attention are the ones I can do with my kids, i.e. playing guitar and doing RC.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #34
Come and take them!®

Hobbies? Ya, I got a couple.
Been building and programming racing quads for for a while now. Too many other "Things I like to do" to list.
Attached Images

Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

uh... good to know im not alone!

as for the GRoM... very cool bike, and i have considered the other little Honda... whats it? rascal? RUCKUS! those are sweet! but, another thing i would try to dump money into. i cant leave anything stock!
also bikes scare the bejeezus out of me for the same speed demon reasons. im crazy enough on 4 wheels, i wouldn't last a week on 2! but if i did, i always wanted a 2006 Buell firebolt XB12R. unique, Harley powered, and just awesome looking bikes, IMO.

shooting is another one i need to spend more time on.
need to teach my son. he's overdue. he is 3 years older than i was when i started with my ruger 10/22! i need another one of those... long story but i probably had millions of rounds through it, and halfway through it was bullpup converted with a muzzelite kit, flash hider (yes just for looks), and a 25 rnd butler creek banana mag. miss that little plinker. so fun.

i did happen to acquire somehow, a colt AR-22 that fills the void of my bullpup 10/22 quite nicely. much different action, but with 17 years of US Navy service under my belt, the AR layout is VERY familiar to me. (im just an IT, but i have TONS of range time for some reason)

like armymech666 and jatotheripper, i also go all-in on a hobby. trouble is (and the point of this thread) all of my hobbies have a hard time co-existing that way. its so bad that without really keeping track of how much i spend, my wife and i agreed on "allowance" per paycheck. it aint much, but at least i know what my budget is now.

the real question is now... what could i give up, to increase productivity in hobbies i DONT give up on??? right now i am in a heated battle between the 1:1 scion FRS, figures, and RC.
its like eating an elephant... one bite at a time.

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-20-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I've got over 3k into my gaming PC and I'm currently restoring a 70s BMW which is probably going to cost me as much as a new car.

Plus my off roading hobby is pricey as well. Yeesh.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Guitars/Playing with my band. I want to get a Fractal Audio AX-8 in the worst way, but $1200 is tough to come by when you have a house and two teenage kids.

Cooking - good knives, pots & pans aren't cheap!

BBQ/Smoking - Trying to move to the "next level" smoker to replace my el-cheapo Brinkman. I would love to get a Horizon, but my budget is more likely to be Oklahoma Joe-ish...

I used to be an avid PC gamer/PC builder, but that has fallen by the wayside since I got married. Plus, there haven't been many new PC games that do it for me, recently. I find myself going back and playing Half-Life 1 or one of the SWG EMUs, which don't require anything high-end to play.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Diesel trucks and muscle cars, shooting guns, and spending time with my dog. I dont have kids so my dog is my priority. He likes to chase the faster RCs so its good exercise for him

After that , video games when I have the time (which is usually when it is cold outside. Guild wars 2 and Fallout games are kinda like crack and zen, but when I play, i can easily spend 20 minutes and feel like i have gotten something done. Problem is, you cant JUST spend 20 minutes and the game is so huge you always have something to do haha)

Beyond that, home ownership eats up a lot of time. Mowing the yard, cleaning decks, staining decks, fixing the driveway/walkway, spraying weeds, cleaning the fence line, trimming trees
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

i long to feel the pain of home ownership once again...

soon. san diego market is insane, but i think i can pull it off. that is a "hobby" of sorts my wife and i both enjoy, upgrading a home and making it "home". i hate living in military housing. cant even change a lightbulb without calling maintenance.

other expensive hobbies? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To expensive for me bouncingbabyboy Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 05-07-2011 07:45 PM
expensive tires NorCalScaleCrawlers Chit Chat 17 01-06-2011 10:48 PM
Expensive hobby trainer Chit Chat 3 01-02-2010 11:32 AM
Ok this could get expensive! Jonnie Fraz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 12-05-2007 01:55 PM
expensive Bronco Chit Chat 28 11-14-2006 04:21 PM