Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What's the philosophy behind your R/C collection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default What's the philosophy behind your R/C collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I drag raced that car all through the 70's but eventually just got tired of the constant in your face attitudes. I have been completely over drag racing since getting out of it back in the early 80's. The car is now strictly a corner carver both on street, backroads and road courses and no those are not drag radials they are BFG Rival S autocross/road course tires.

Oh dumb me, those are street tires. Drag radials would have more meat on them anyway.
I can see that coming from drag racing. Still great work on that car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #42
Sinking with the ship

Default Re: What's the philosophy behind your R/C collection?

I like discussions like this, hopefully we can keep it going...

For me, my passion of RCs started as child, Ive always had a love for cars and it probably started with Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars.

As I got older, it switched into RCs, and I remember thinking I was a total badass with a Tyco Bandit. When my mother and my stepfather started dating she had my step dad come by with his RCs. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. He came by with his midnight pumpkin and wheelie pajero. When he charged them up, I was immediately blown away that it only took 15 minutes compared to the 4 hour tyco charger. I was even more so impressed when he first mashed the throttle and left on a wheelie across the block.

From there I obtained my first black foot at 9 yrs old and then my first Clod Buster at 10, which I still have to this day.

Fast forward, I had received a few milk crates full of old RCCA magazines and immediately saw and fell in love with the Bruiser and Mountaineer. The realism, for me, was what RC was all about, as by this time, my clod buster was decked out with all the then scale options from "APM custom hobby" and lights from RAM.

In the earlier years I spent my time hanging out on RCMT and RC Jims place, with guys like Corey, who we know as RPP Hobby but back then was Hot Rodical Customs. Guys like my friend Cole Comensky (CTCBaller) and myself idolized the trucks that Corey and our mutual friend Kevin Good AKA JUGGSTERR were building. Tons of custom 3 speeds and Clods.

As things progressed I remember a guy "PlayswithToys" posting on RCMT about his TLT rock crawler and talking about RCC. When I first came over to check out the forum I remember thinking to msyelf "I cant post here, these guys are hardcore like the dudes with real trucks on Pirate". It wasnt for quite a few months until I actually decided to make a log in here after I bought my Hulk Werks F 150 tube chasss pre runner truck off ebay.

From there...I kept doing what I liked to do, and that was build realistc RCs... My SAS kyosho 4Runner and several Bruiser builds.

Fast forward 12 years later, and this "fad" is now one of the biggest segments of RC...Thanks to guys here and manufacturers like RC4WD, Axial, and all the Vendors we have had and still have.

RC has always been my favorite hobby after 20 + years now, the people I have met and became friends with and the places I have been I owe to it and I display my collection proudly. Weather its Monster Trucks, or vintage Tamiyas, or scale crawlers and drag cars, my collection definitely defines me and my passed and how the hobby has evolved for me.

For now, I keep building Tiyotes and collecting all the cool clod stuff I couldnt afford way back when. Expensive...but fun
Attached Images

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 11-09-2017 at 12:01 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
In the earlier years I spent my time hanging out on RCMT and RC Jims place, with guys like Corey, who we know as RPP Hobby but back then was Hot Rodical Customs. Guys like my friend Cole Comensky (CTCBaller) and myself idolized the trucks that Corey and our mutual friend Kevin Good AKA JUGGSTERR were building. Tons of custom 3 speeds and Clods.

As things progressed I remember a guy "PlayswithToys" posting on RCMT about his TLT rock crawler and talking about RCC. When I first came over to check out the forum I remember thinking to msyelf "I cant post here, these guys are hardcore like the dudes with real trucks on Pirate". It wasnt for quite a few months until I actually decided to make a log in here after I bought my Hulk Werks F 150 tube chasss pre runner truck off ebay.
Haha! Similar deal with me - I remember thinking that people used curse words and everything on here.

Cool to see someone remembers RC Jim's place - that site got me in (I bought Jim's orange MTW Pajero that had a paint job by Corey). I remember Holmes and a few other now well-known guys posting on there as well.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

My two bits...

After graduating high school in '93 and getting my first 'real' job I bought a Kyosho Nisan Pathfinder. (I think it was Kyosho). Drove that around and tinkered with it for a year or two before giving it to my brother. It was then stolen out of his college apartment.

I was always interested in RC just didn't have the money or time for it. Fast forward to about 2010. I went over to a buddies house to hang out. Had my, at that time, 6 year-old son with me. My buddy had a XR10 and a SCX10 Honcho among several other RCs. I fell hard for the Honcho and bought a kit like the next day. Shortly there after, I learned that my father-in-law had a mid '80s vintage Blackfoot that he and my brother-in-law assembled back in the day, ran it once and it sat on a shelf ever since. (Stickers were never applied, still have the sheet). I now have the Blackfoot.

Over the years my son and I bought several RCs. We got into shortcourse racing for a couple years. We really got into the crawling and scale. We have Wraiths, SCX10s, Yetis, several Traxxas and Team Associated rigs. My son is now 12 has been sort of losing interest in the RCs, but I have been keeping it up.

I really enjoy the time tinkering and testing and am proud of the knowledge that my son has in regards to vehicle dynamics, geometry, and drivetrain as well as general electronics.

Philosophy: learn and have fun.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #45
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
My two bits...

After graduating high school in '93 and getting my first 'real' job I bought a Kyosho Nisan Pathfinder. (I think it was Kyosho). Drove that around and tinkered with it for a year or two before giving it to my brother. It was then stolen out of his college apartment.

I was always interested in RC just didn't have the money or time for it. Fast forward to about 2010. I went over to a buddies house to hang out. Had my, at that time, 6 year-old son with me. My buddy had a XR10 and a SCX10 Honcho among several other RCs. I fell hard for the Honcho and bought a kit like the next day. Shortly there after, I learned that my father-in-law had a mid '80s vintage Blackfoot that he and my brother-in-law assembled back in the day, ran it once and it sat on a shelf ever since. (Stickers were never applied, still have the sheet). I now have the Blackfoot.

Over the years my son and I bought several RCs. We got into shortcourse racing for a couple years. We really got into the crawling and scale. We have Wraiths, SCX10s, Yetis, several Traxxas and Team Associated rigs. My son is now 12 has been sort of losing interest in the RCs, but I have been keeping it up.

I really enjoy the time tinkering and testing and am proud of the knowledge that my son has in regards to vehicle dynamics, geometry, and drivetrain as well as general electronics.

Philosophy: learn and have fun.
Yup, Kyosho did the pathfinder/terrano and 4Runner/surf. Ive had a bunch of them over the years, probably the nicest lexan bodies back in the day. my pathfinder was cool, kinda regret selling it. Shame to hear about yours getting stolen
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

I'm interested in the drag racing cars that you seem to have several of. For example, the orange Camaro. What kind of chassis is that and where is the body from? I'm guessing the chassis might be similar to a pan car, but I've never seen a body like that before.

Also, great collection. If I walked into that room as a kid, I would've had a heart attack.

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #47
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I'm interested in the drag racing cars that you seem to have several of. For example, the orange Camaro. What kind of chassis is that and where is the body from? I'm guessing the chassis might be similar to a pan car, but I've never seen a body like that before.

Also, great collection. If I walked into that room as a kid, I would've had a heart attack.
It’s a 1/8 scale monogram model IROC-Z body sitting on a custom built pro mod tube chassis, 4 link rear using a Tamiya semi rear, OG rc10 A arm front suspension
Old 11-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I like discussions like this, hopefully we can keep it going...

For me, my passion of RCs started as child, Ive always had a love for cars and it probably started with Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars.

As I got older, it switched into RCs, and I remember thinking I was a total badass with a Tyco Bandit. When my mother and my stepfather started dating she had my step dad come by with his RCs. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. He came by with his midnight pumpkin and wheelie pajero. When he charged them up, I was immediately blown away that it only took 15 minutes compared to the 4 hour tyco charger. I was even more so impressed when he first mashed the throttle and left on a wheelie across the block.

From there I obtained my first black foot at 9 yrs old and then my first Clod Buster at 10, which I still have to this day.

Fast forward, I had received a few milk crates full of old RCCA magazines and immediately saw and fell in love with the Bruiser and Mountaineer. The realism, for me, was what RC was all about, as by this time, my clod buster was decked out with all the then scale options from "APM custom hobby" and lights from RAM.

From there...I kept doing what I liked to do, and that was build realistc RCs... My SAS kyosho 4Runner and several Bruiser builds.

Fast forward 12 years later, and this "fad" is now one of the biggest segments of RC...Thanks to guys here and manufacturers like RC4WD, Axial, and all the Vendors we have had and still have.

RC has always been my favorite hobby after 20 + years now, the people I have met and became friends with and the places I have been I owe to it and I display my collection proudly. Weather its Monster Trucks, or vintage Tamiyas, or scale crawlers and drag cars, my collection definitely defines me and my passed and how the hobby has evolved for me.

For now, I keep building Tiyotes and collecting all the cool clod stuff I couldnt afford way back when. Expensive...but fun

I'm guessing you custom built that white 85 pickup body

Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

I have a sickness.....I collect to ease the symptoms.....
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I don't have much of a history in RC's. As a kid, I built scale model kits, model railroads, & built a couple 1:1 hot rods after my time in the Army. Purchased my first hobby-grade RC in 2013, when a shortcourse track opened up a couple blocks from the house. Bought a 2wd and 4wd SCT. Somewhere down the line, I purchased a Ridgecrest, which became a parts truck for my 1/6 Jeep and a wroncho, built another scx-10 from scavenged parts.

My garden railroad takes up most of my time now, ( been building model railroads for 40 yrs) and what I've learned from a lot of you here, I've applied RC to control my trains, both the electric and soon the steamer. Keeps from having to clean 200 ft of brass rail.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Default What's the philosophy behind your R/C collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I don't have much of a history in RC's. As a kid, I built scale model kits, model railroads, & built a couple 1:1 hot rods after my time in the Army. Purchased my first hobby-grade RC in 2013, when a shortcourse track opened up a couple blocks from the house. Bought a 2wd and 4wd SCT. Somewhere down the line, I purchased a Ridgecrest, which became a parts truck for my 1/6 Jeep and a wroncho, built another scx-10 from scavenged parts.

My garden railroad takes up most of my time now, ( been building model railroads for 40 yrs) and what I've learned from a lot of you here, I've applied RC to control my trains, both the electric and soon the steamer. Keeps from having to clean 200 ft of brass rail.
Thank you for your service. My dad works with n scale railroad models. I also don't have a long history in rcs, about 5 years starting with my tamiya grasshopper. I am also a 1:1 jeep fanatic and am always doing something to my TJ.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #52
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeeper2017 View Post
I'm guessing you custom built that white 85 pickup body

n00b built the body, I assembled a WC machining chassis for it and I am gonna build a badass interior and armor for it
Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

Oh. I saw the build thread for this body on SBG. Sounds like a cool project!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I really have not real philosophy behind my collection. I like scale RC, got a bit of that, I like crawling, got one of those, like going fast, have a Sl4sh, have a couple of RCs for playing in the snow, and an air boat. If I get to the point where I don't run something for a while it gets sold so I can get something else.

Untitled by GreatScott, on Flickr
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #55

I have built countless RC’s for racing and bashing. I’m guessing there were 20+ hanging around the house mostly new never used filled with that years newest electronics ready to go. One day at the track racing I decided to make one a complete kit including a charger and I gave it to a kid that looked like he could use it. The kid about pee’d his pants he was so happy. So with all that said and years later I have but 2 RC’s on my shelf at any given time.

I did learn early on that even though you’re “giving” it away to a kid or family that could really use it, it’s always best to make the kid at least pay a small amount to help them respect their purchase.

So typically on race day I would place a fresh built 2wd sct or similar on my table fully charged and ready to race with RX/TX and charger with a for sale sign on it. And when the right person I already spotted over the weeks shows up to look at it the deal is on. Sometimes the kid would circle the table a few times and shuffle around until he had the courage to ask how much.
The only thing I said was “how much do you have?”
Since then I’m thinking the max I ever sold one for was around $10 .

My philosophy is to do what’s makes things better.

gmackhurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired View Post
No master plan for me either. Other than don't get yelled at by the wife for spending too much money.
I started with the go fast trucks but after about 5 years I found that I'm drawn more toward crawling and scale trucks now. I like having multiple rigs of the same flavor so my friends who don't own RCs can still hang out and drive.

Good attitude. being your friends were lucky, got free toys to play with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #57
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Great thread
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #58
dkf
Rock Crawler

I've been into R/C since I was a kid. Started with Tyco and eventually went onto the better stuff. Never had a big collection, still don't. Just one of my hobbies, R/C cars/trucks and boats. Lately my friends son and daughter (7 and 6) have been behind the controller more than me. His son will drain a 4400mah LiPO in my SCX10 and want another pack right away. Luckily the 35t hand wound can be "rebuilt" many times.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

I've always liked the rc vehicles that were scale/proportional. Started when I was about 6 or 7, but didn't have disposable income till I was 23 or so... Now i have about 50 or so vehicles 25 or more in running or near running condition and about 25 or more vehicles in various stages. I usually buy parts when they're cheap then dream up a project. I have about 10 pairs of WK axles, 6 pairs of scx10, 3 pairs of TXT, 4 ar60, 5 TLT, 2 mad force, 2 MRC, etc. Bodies and tires galore. Id say it has become a slight addiction
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Love this thread - great idea!

I grew up in the 70s in Germany and digital content was - luckily - not invented yet. It was usually anything with wheels that caught my attention. Be it the first Matchbox, Corgi or Dinky toys. Then there was the first larger, "remote controlled" vehicle, that came with a controller connected to the car with a long wire - at least I was small enough to think it was long. One day I found this beautifully illustrated Tamiya catalogue at the toy store and fell in love with all these scale looking models - much more than what an Atari at that time could offer. But they were either unaffordable or unavailable. So, models you would find at radioshack came first. A stunt Beetle, an Audi Quattro with remote lights and a trunk that would open. But a kit Tamiya Fox would really start it all, followed by a Wild Willy and later a Frog. Living on a lake some race boats were added.
Then life followed. And work. And the RC hobby as all the toy cars I kept from my childhood were packed up in boxes and stored in the attic.

Fast forward twenty five years: I am a graphic designer, working for car magazines, designing books about cars and even take pictures of cars. Digital content is everywhere by now.
I move to the States. With me: moving boxes full of toy cars. The ones from my childhood and tons of them I could find at flea markets and antique stores. Most mint in box. But one day, I came across a video of a guy sawing a piece of wood in half on his porch and eventually turning it into a realistic scale looking pickup. Headquake.
I was hooked. I loved his trucks. The RC hobby anyways. And admired those skills. After some research I came across this forum - and enjoy it every day from there on. Within a few years I had to get new furniture to accompany my collection of toy cars with large scale builds, that take up way too much room. Luckily my wife is fine with it and understands what kind of outlet this hobby is.

To sum it up: it 's the combination of my passion for moving vehicles - mostly cars/ trucks -, the admiration for all these talented people out there, the will to learn new skills every day, spending time outdoors after you built something with your hands. And bottom line: I can build and own all these vehicles that I probably would never own in "real" life - heck, there isn't even a life size rock in West Texas - LOL
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote

What's the philosophy behind your R/C collection? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philosophy: The better of two evils losikid Electronics 12 09-16-2017 09:56 AM
A good philosophy JeremyH Chit Chat 2 01-10-2014 07:35 AM
Party Philosophy JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 14 12-24-2006 10:07 PM
A New Philosophy Bryce Chit Chat 6 05-22-2006 04:35 PM