Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What's the philosophy behind your R/C collection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What's the philosophy behind your R/C collection?

i use most of my collection for what they are not intended for.

for example: my 22 1.0 buggy has 2.0 act arms on it currently sporting sct tires on it and a blower motor from rpm infront of the windshield. I call it monster buddy and run it in the king of the hill class at my local track

the Baja rey, made for the desert and long whooped straights. I race it in 4x4 sct.

I built a set of og ax10 axles with the xr wide mod beeftubes for a custom monster truck using a losi night crawler trans and a tekin gen 3 17.5 to run up against the stampede's at my local track.

also instead of buying a tekno MT I made one with TLR 2.0 truggy parts on a buggy chassis. because backflips are cool.

losi work gear axles repurposed for scale rigs. not so out of the norm but.. they are not what you see everyday on the trails.

other than that, most of my stuff just sits and tries to look good.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpyonker View Post
As a 15 year old with practically no disposable income and looking to buy my first car.
So I keep it to one car and try to sell it for more then I paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel ya. I’m 17 have a pretty solid income but with college coming up I don’t have money to spare on expensive rigs. I search Facebook for good deals and buy n sell a lot. Can’t wait till I can actually build a brand new truck.

Eli. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Was into planes and boats at first but got into cars thinking easier access for my young son so I tended to buy those in pairs. He liked Axialfest but now at 8 he already thinks they are boring and its all videogames and youtube so I mostly just tinker with the cars as I find that enjoyable enough in my spare time. Everything is "scale" except for one, my favorite plane which just flies so damn well.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #64

My philosophy has changed over the years,

At first I wanted the newest most badass rigs that were out

Then I switched gears and just started buying one of everything

Then what's better than 1 of everything? 2 of everything until I got up to about 30 rigs and couldn't keep everything maintained and some of them were being neglected and what not.

Now on to my current philosophy is to have the stuff that I think is cool and just want to maintain a small-ish collection but have each one be the best that it can be.

My collection currently is still a little heavy and I would prefer to have it thinned down by a few more vehicles but am happy in the direction it is going

fuzzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:58 AM   #65
Rock Crawler

I'm having a crisis!!!

There is already a trophy truck in my collection. A Baja Rey. Great truck, love it, does everything a trophy truck is supposed to do. HOWEVER, Tower Hobbies has the Yeti Score trophy truck kit on sale for $250. The "system" I follow to control my collection tells me I don't need it because I already have one of that type of vehicle... but it's $100 off and I've always thought they were cool!

The struggle is real
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I'm having a crisis!!!

There is already a trophy truck in my collection. A Baja Rey. Great truck, love it, does everything a trophy truck is supposed to do. HOWEVER, Tower Hobbies has the Yeti Score trophy truck kit on sale for $250. The "system" I follow to control my collection tells me I don't need it because I already have one of that type of vehicle... but it's $100 off and I've always thought they were cool!

The struggle is real

It IS! I already got an Axial Yeti - which I turned into a Trophy Truck. But... 250? Seriously? Heading over there right now....
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Ive been into rc since I was a little kid, but didn’t get into the hobby grade stuff until I was in high school with a Losi mini desert truck. At one point I almost sold it because I never used it but then I got screwed over one summer and lost a lot people who I thought were my friends over something that was done to me. So to keep my head up I decided to focus on rc and haven’t looked back, that was when I was 19/20 and I’m 27 now.

Since then I’ve gotten multiple scx10s, wraiths, on roads and even some nitros. Currently the fleet sits at 2 ntc3, sc10gt, wr8 flux, tf2, beast 2, ascender, twin hammer dt, scte 1.0 and 3.0, 22sct 2.0, xray t3, hpi sport 3 flux, couple of rj speed, smt10, ifs 1.9 wraith, cup racer, b1b bomber, d4 rwd, and just acquired yeti score and losi Baja Rey. There’s probably other I’m forgetting to

c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 AM   #68
RCC Addict

I loved the cheapo break-once-n-done rc vehicles when I was younger but sadly was never able to afford even something like that. When I was in my 20's, I picked up what I thought was the baddest of the bad... a probably $50+ toy-grade truck. Fwiw I think it was the coil-springs that grabbed me lol. Drove it right off of the Galveston Seawall into the Gulf Of Mexico. Salt water finished the job.

Then one day my ex g/f and I were driving up I-45 towards Houston and I insisted that we stop in this really cool looking place called Issac's Hobbies ( around League City). Once inside, my fate was sealed. Not sure if I acquired it that same day but at some point I took home an Associated RC10GT kit, an OS .12 ps, and all the trimmings! It was fascinating and exhilarating to embark upon the build. I had no idea what I was getting into but with each successful step, I knew that I was a little closer to making this thing come to life... probably not completely unlike a nerdy Dr. Frankenstein... or "Fronkensteen" since Mel Brooks is an idol of mine.

The day that I fired it up and broke it in, was something I'll likely never forget... the rich bubbling sound of the nitro, the noxious dizzying aroma, and with each incremental turn of a screwdriver... faster and faster and faster! I just dove head-first into the world of upgrades, familiarizing myself with it's behavior, and becoming a better driver and mechanic with each session. I then built another GT and then a TMaxx, then an MP7.5. I was hooked.

Some years later while trudging through the damage and decay of a failing relationship I finally peaked, leveled out, then lost the drive altogether. My vehicles were broken and derelict... and so was I. I kept most everything but the dust thickened as they... and I... sat on the shelf waiting for a spark. Fast forward 10+ years and along came a new relationship, a new home, a new job, and I began to feel that glowing flicker again. When a buddy of mine was recovering from back surgery recently, he came to me and asked what he might do to pass his time. He and I already shared a good deal of identical interests ( shooting, camping, photography, off-roading, mtn-biking, outdoors, etc) so I told him he should look into the world of RC cars and helis. That's just what he did and wound up with a nitro buggy in no time lol.

The more that I helped to guide him through certain steps, and the more that I saw his enthusiasm... the more I longed to get back into the game. But I also knew that I wanted to go in a different direction. I was never a pavement guy... always liked the dirt, so low and behold one day I stumbled upon an affordable yet promising-looking crawler... an inexpensive and mild-mannered EMC 16. I knew that it wasn't going to be anything like what the cool kids were running with their 1/10 Axials and Vaterras and cool haircuts and Monster Energy drinks, but it was a step... and damn did it feel good! Since picking this little thing up, it truly reignited the flame and I'm now looking at my next crawler... an Ascender or TRX 4. Another buddy of mine has a little Proline Ambush and when my fiancee isn't home, we transform the living room into a full-on crawl-course... usually complete with pizza, full-size wrenching ( Jeeps), and a whole lotta laughs and memories. I do believe that my girl actually has this vision of us rolling around on the floor in pajamas and wearing underwear on our heads, but I assure anyone still reading that this is absolutely not the case.

So that's my story. I dunno if it fits into OP's intent but there seemingly has always been a bug biting at my heart and my wallet. There's just something about the thrill of a satisfying run... the simple pleasure of the hobby... the ability to modify, to learn, to overcome. And the ultimate release of day to day stress when you gently ease into that trigger and watch things flex, crawl, and spin... what a rush. I hope that I never lose this flame again because being a full-blown tinkering, fabricating, wide eyed kid in an old dude's body is just a hell of a lotta fun.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

I guess my philosophy , concept , motivation and dream is to have a fleet of vehicles I want and dream to have a drive. Been here a while and the fleet at this time range from on road to scale trail and 4x4 vehicles. 2 hpi on road cars , 1 tamiya tt01, 3 scx 10 based trucks Benz G wagon , Benz Van and a Benz semi cab. The last 2 or projects in progress and a Tonka Winnebego too. Going to build a garage and new testing grounds.

This hobby gives me life while living in a mad world. Have met some great individuals that I have the great pleasure to call my rc bros / friends and can't wait to make more. As the advancement of parts and bodies that become available, I find myself wanting to build more from scratch besides the chassis. At the end of the day this is what I love to do with my free time and no where close to wanting to stop.
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote

What's the philosophy behind your R/C collection? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philosophy: The better of two evils losikid Electronics 12 09-16-2017 09:56 AM
A good philosophy JeremyH Chit Chat 2 01-10-2014 07:35 AM
Party Philosophy JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 14 12-24-2006 10:07 PM
A New Philosophy Bryce Chit Chat 6 05-22-2006 04:35 PM