Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Close Calls - When It's Just Not Your Time To Go

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Close Calls - When It's Just Not Your Time To Go

I'm not religious, but I do believe in destiny or fate. When you see things like this you can't help, but think it just wasn't his time to die.

I'd love to see other close calls. Let's not turn this into a gore thread. There are plenty of other sites for that.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Close Calls - When It's Just Not Your Time To Go

I really don't believe that it is or isn't our time. Things just happen and sometimes we luck out and sometimes we don't. I really believe that it's a simple as that.

I will conversely say however, that I feel as if I should have been dead many many times throughout my life ( as I'm sure that others can also claim) and I also occasionally ponder a "greater" or simply unrecognizable reason that I've landed on my feet so many times... albeit battered and bruised as I get older lol. I dunno... destiny? Fate? I'm a pretty decent person in most respects but I still don't really feel as if there's any higher power or divine plan keeping me alive... just as with all the truly wonderful people that I've known that have died well before what most would consider "their time".

Interesting topic, OP.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

they have whole segments on this on Ridiculousness. love that show!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've had a couple close calls when I was young and STUPID back in the early 80's. Both happened in El Centro, Ca. In both cases I was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

First one, I and a buddy left a country-western bar at 1 am, which just happened to be next to a set of railroad tracks, both on scoots, heading east. Freight train stopped us at the gates, I remember it being a long one. When that sucker finally passed, we both took off around the lowered gates only to cross inches in front of the next one going the opposite direction on the next set of tracks. Sum bitch was maybe 6-7 ft from me when I passed in front of it. You'd of thought I'd learned my lesson from that close call.

But stupid is as stupid does, a few months later, I left a country store where all the locals would hang out on Friday nights, drinking beer and shooting the shit. I remember I was drinking Foster's that night. I think I had drunk 5 of them big cans. Around 11 pm, I decided I'd had enough and wanted to hit the sack. My '72 Courier was parked on the left side of the east drive, near the road (Evan Hewes Hwy), there were a line of cars and pickups parked on the shoulder, so I didn't have a clear view of traffic, but when I saw there were no cars coming by, I pulled out, making a left turn....pulled right out in front of a cabover cattle truck, not 10 ft from my drivers door. I remember hearing the air horns. The next day , my buddies told me all about it, and like me, wondered how the hell I didn't get slaughtered that night.

Funny how things like this stick with you after almost 30 years.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm not religious, but I do believe in destiny or fate. When you see things like this you can't help, but think it just wasn't his time to die.

I'd love to see other close calls. Let's not turn this into a gore thread. There are plenty of other sites for that.

Wow, if that truck was going 1 mph faster, or the bike 1 mph slower...

To me, it really does really matter if it is fate, destiny or just dumb luck when you die, you are still dead.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

While in Hawaii I though it’d be nice to run across the interstate for a fresh, green coconut, so I made the chicken run across, climbed the tree in someone’s yard, snatched the goods, shimmied down the tree, hit dirt, and that when it happened, Girls in bikinis rollerblading down the sidewalk, so naturally they drew my attention away from the highway, and just when I was about to cross, a freakin moped pulled out from behind a bus, and into the right lane, developed a wobble, and started coming straight for me, I narrowly managed to jump out of the way before the guy, and his moped jumped the curb, and smashed into two trees, one of them happened to be the tree I had just finished climbing.

It happened all too quickly, good thing our tour guide was watching, he called the guy an ambulance, and I decided that didn’t want the coconut anymore.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i used to street race my Honda in san diego. lost a very close friend and that was close enough for me. called it quits and was mad at myself it took that to get me to stop. i have also done a fair share of canyon carving in just about every car I've owned. I've always been careful, never push near a sheer drop, never cross the center line, respect the brake fade. still... i think that lifestyle is dangerous enough.

i cant think of any one isolated incident though. i guess there was a time in my first AE86, i was at a meet/bbq out at otay lakes in san diego. some guys brought whatever parts they had for sale, found a guy selling a set of HKS cams for a great price, had to run in to town for an ATM. he said he wanted to ride with me in my car.we hopped in and hit the twisties back to town and i was in 3rd about 6,000 rpm and mis-judged the tightness of a curve. came in pretty hot, rear stepped out (as they are famous for), both my passenger and myself are screaming at this point, sideways with all 4 tires locked up... and lined up perfectly with the exit of the corner so i punched it to throttle out of what would have been a spin into some boulders. and yes time slowed down like the friggin matrix. when it picked back up, we realized we were alive, the passenger was like that was friggin AWESOME! good driving man!!! i played it off like haha yeah... ment to do that. totally.

2 years later i actually DID spin out and hit a boulder lol but impact was at like 2 mph and i grabbed enough e-brake during the spin that i hit rear bumper perfectly squared, just scratched a bit right in the middle.

here is a pic of my first corolla AKA death machine lol even when i met my wife i took her up to... wow the roads that are now on fire in Oceanside. she admitted later she nearly peed.
i miss this car so much... had to sell it when i moved to japan.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Close calls like that FREAKING SUCK. I’ve been riding sport bikes since ‘02, logged around 80,000 miles on 2 wheels last time I bothered to add them up. I’ve had 5-6 SOLID times where I shouldn’t have made it home that day. Leaves a deep, numb, sickening feeling in you for a couple days.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtrCxNGHkmI
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I've had a couple close calls when I was young and STUPID back in the early 80's. Both happened in El Centro, Ca. In both cases I was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

First one, I and a buddy left a country-western bar at 1 am, which just happened to be next to a set of railroad tracks, both on scoots, heading east. Freight train stopped us at the gates, I remember it being a long one. When that sucker finally passed, we both took off around the lowered gates only to cross inches in front of the next one going the opposite direction on the next set of tracks. Sum bitch was maybe 6-7 ft from me when I passed in front of it. You'd of thought I'd learned my lesson from that close call.

But stupid is as stupid does, a few months later, I left a country store where all the locals would hang out on Friday nights, drinking beer and shooting the shit. I remember I was drinking Foster's that night. I think I had drunk 5 of them big cans. Around 11 pm, I decided I'd had enough and wanted to hit the sack. My '72 Courier was parked on the left side of the east drive, near the road (Evan Hewes Hwy), there were a line of cars and pickups parked on the shoulder, so I didn't have a clear view of traffic, but when I saw there were no cars coming by, I pulled out, making a left turn....pulled right out in front of a cabover cattle truck, not 10 ft from my drivers door. I remember hearing the air horns. The next day , my buddies told me all about it, and like me, wondered how the hell I didn't get slaughtered that night.

Funny how things like this stick with you after almost 30 years.
Damn..Fosters, you're lucky that didn't kill you

I left my house one night, over 10 years ago..left for no reason I can think of, at midnight. 5 minutes after I left, my house was invaded by 6 armed shitbags..they would of shot me I'm pretty sure, they were fed info that something was going on that wasn't. If I had been there they would not of been happy leaving empty handed..cops got em thankfully.
I'm not sure it qualifies as a close call but I sure think it was.

Last edited by vonclod; 12-12-2017 at 12:44 AM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:46 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotare View Post
Holy crap..a Great White, dude is very lucky it didn't take a test bite.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

heres some more videos like that first one:

caleb.cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
Holy crap..a Great White, dude is very lucky it didn't take a test bite.
thats a huge nope. huge.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #14

I've had my own close calls being young and doing stupid things. Cars on 2 wheels, motorcycles off the road, etc. But I'm looking for gifs or videos!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

One that sticks out for me is when I was driving up a mountain pass late at night. I was in the fast lane going about 70+ and switched to the middle lane(just to get over) and soon as I did, I just missed an large animal that was in the fast lane, I believe it was an Elk. I must have missed it by on a foot or two. It happened so fast I though it didn’t happen. Hitting large animals like that is really dangerous because you take out the legs and the body will go right through the windshield. I had a similar close call on the highway early in the morning where I almost hit a railroad tie that must have fell off a flat bed truck, I was driving a lowered tuner car at the time, that would have not been fun.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

FF to 0:53

But in general any day in Russian traffic and getting home alive.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #17

Old 10-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Yep...Darwin's Law fails again.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The brother should have borrowed some brain to make the car safe.....and some more brain to help him decide to buy himself some safety gear.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Close Calls - When It's Just Not Your Time To Go - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scam phone calls road_rascal Chit Chat 6 05-03-2014 12:30 PM
3 calls, 3 heart attacks, 3 deaths CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 20 12-17-2012 02:04 PM
Phone Calls WheelChair Chit Chat 4 05-08-2008 08:56 PM