Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: RCC's slow demise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: RCC's slow demise?

If RCC belonged to me, I'd hire a programmer to write a script to automatically download all of the PhotoSuckit pics and replace the urls with ones from the RCC webserver. That would go a looooooong way to making RCC more useful.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #22
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
If RCC belonged to me, I'd hire a programmer to write a script to automatically download all of the PhotoSuckit pics and replace the urls with ones from the RCC webserver. That would go a looooooong way to making RCC more useful.
The photobucket debacle wrecked a lot of threads.

Edit : I was always under the impression the facebook was for nosey women who spend their days at home.

Last edited by smog; 12-11-2017 at 09:02 PM.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:36 AM   #23
Sinking with the ship

Forums require participation... plain and simple. When you have a feature such as the "Like" button, this is killing the participation IMO. There is no interaction...I would type a post for a new build or an update on a build, details on everything, pictures explaining it all and 10 years ago I would get many replies, some would be just '"props" and some would be asking questions about something was done or what was planned next etc. There WAS interaction... when I do the same NOW I get maybe a few likes

Here my LWB thread here:

RC4WD's NEW TF2 LWB by 1BadDollHouseJerpBuilder

2 pages...

Here is my LWB thread on the only other forum I actively participate on

http://scalebuildersguild.com/forum/...useJerpBuilder

14 pages...

Now I'm not blaming the "Like" button for everything, a lot has changed, this segment of the hobby that was once referred to as a "fad" is now main stream and every Tom Dick and Harry has a "Scaler" and there isnt much originality...just really who has deeper pockets.

Facebook has definitely hurt it, but have you ever been able to do a build thread on facebook? probably not...Have you ever been able to use to search function 200% to find something like you can here? Probably not... This place IS still a wealth of informaton.

Photobucket also really F'd everyone...I had a premium account which ran me 60$ a year I think? I had also been using PB since RCpics went down probably 15 years back. With their new 3rd party hosting BS, Im not shelling out 500$...or whatever it is. I had a lot of great build threads which I suspect are going to be shit now with the broken links for pics

Lastly, the times have changed and I think the grip needs be loosened up here... As a person who has been moderating here for 10 years or more now I see posts deleted that shouldnt be deleted... they arent a "cool" post, but not necessarily a lengthy one either. IS the person trying to pad their count to see the classifieds? Maybe... Have you looked at the classifieds section lately??? Thats dying off too... Why would anyone pay for the star when they can jump over to facebook and easily post a photo and not be restricted in anyway shape or form??

Things need to change... RCC has done a lot for me over and Id hate to see it slowly die off but I fear its heading that way unless there is change and a way to bring people back and keep people here.

Just my .02 cents

-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 12-12-2017 at 07:22 AM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:48 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Props 1BJB
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:21 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post

Edit : I was always under the impression the facebook was for nosey women who spend their days at home.
Facebook is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It gives easy access to social media to the masses. This lets all the stupid little kids and adults post up instant pictures of all the fish they catch in real time.

People in the know can then look at the exif data, get the exact location and time of their catches. No more driving around the rivers looking for good water conditions, or to see if fish are running. No more hours of internet research to find a new river or fishing hole, just wait for an egomaniac to start bragging.

That and you get to see exactly how stupid your extended families political views are.

Other then that is sucks.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:27 AM   #26
Yashua

I'll be staying around here, never needed photo bucket or used it and never had issues with pictures as all of mine are still here.
I've only been here going on 8 years but enjoy it much ,
Bob
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwatchman View Post
Are you talking about the "Redcat Everest Gen 7 Scale Crawler" group?
Primarily, yes. It had hundreds of members before the truck was even released.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I blame the decline of RCC to the deletion of the "Who has the hottest wife" thread...

Just sayin...

With all things, its ebb and flow. I stopped buying a star and really reading RCC when the proprietors of the site decided that members could no longer make parts for each other because the vendors were bitching about it. I return because it is still a great source of information for general RCing and specifics on RCs I own.

FB, like anything else is a tool, use it or not. For forum-style build threads, is sucks. There is no continuity and searching REALLY sucks. But, for communicating with local club members, setting up comps and get-togethers, it is awesome. This is an area where RCC has failed miserably, the Regional thread area is terrible, always has been. I have found that those who bitch the most about FB drama are normally the ones who start it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
If you listen to Cubby over at BigSquidRC, the hobby is generally in a decline. He blogs about it all the time. I'm not saying it's related to the participation on this particular site, but it still makes me wonder how to get more people interested in the hobby. Is it even possible? I could be completely off-base, but I wonder if R/C just can't compete with cell phones when it comes to getting kids' attention and drawing them into the hobby.
Yeah, no matter what, there is ALWAYS someone who says the hobby is generally in decline. It was in decline when I bought my first hobby-grade RC in the early 90's, it was in decline when I bought my first E-Maxx, it was in decline when the crawler scene exploded around 2009, it was in decline when scale RCs took over the market a couple of years ago, and it is in decline now... Really, it all just depends on where you look and what niche of the hobby you are in, some are booming, some are shrinking...

In truth, the only thing that keeps this hobby going is fresh blood, the new kids who get their first RC and are excited about the hobby. THIS is where RCC has truly failed over the years, RCC is well know was a place to get punched in the face when a new kid posts. It has certainly gotten better for the new guy over the years, but there are still those around that will still attack someone for the ultimate sin of not searching before they post...

Last edited by Greatscott; 12-12-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #29
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Props 1BJB
Thanks man, just calling it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
I'll be staying around here, never needed photo bucket or used it and never had issues with pictures as all of mine are still here.
I've only been here going on 8 years but enjoy it much ,
Bob
I admit, I screwed up, I shoulda been using RCC as my host way back when I first started. The issue for me was I participated in a lot of other forums back then and the image code was a lot easier to share across the board.

I have been now because I dont even want to swap to another hosting for when they end up doing the same BS.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #30

Quote:

It's the most popular internet website and more than half of the entire US adult population uses the site. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. And the stats show it's definitely not only for the stay at home moms.

It's not just RCC that's dying. All forums are dying as social media groups take over. It's just evolution. Things are replaced with newer things all the time.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Facebook has definitely hurt it, but have you ever been able to do a build thread on facebook? probably not...Have you ever been able to use to search function 200% to find something like you can here? Probably not... This place IS still a wealth of informaton.
So true.

There have been more than a few times I see something cool or interesting on FB and it is only a picture. No info on how anything was done and good luck even finding the same picture if it has been a couple days.

On the other hand, I was looking for some info last week on a set of old 3.2 in tires and the answer I needed was in a post on here from 2007. Good luck finding that on FB.

Now excuse me while I go find some threads to tell 1BJB that he builds nice turks.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #32
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I blame the decline of RCC to the deletion of the "Who has the hottest wife" thread...

Just sayin...

With all things, its ebb and flow. I stopped buying a star and really reading RCC when the proprietors of the site decided that members could no longer make parts for each other because the vendors were bitching about it. I return because it is still a great source of information for general RCing and specifics on RCs I own.

FB, like anything else is a tool, use it or not. For forum-style build threads, is sucks. There is no continuity and searching REALLY sucks. But, for communicating with local club members, setting up comps and get-togethers, it is awesome. This is an area where RCC has failed miserably, the Regional thread area is terrible, always has been. I have found that those who bitch the most about FB drama are normally the ones who start it in the first place.
I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, I see your start date but as we know the issue some years back, when we didn't have anything at the tips of our fingers was where do we draw the line for vendor status?

This HAS and always was a struggle for this site, Its one thing if you make a bumper for your one buddy in your local club but when your local club now has 25 members and there all running your bumper and now vendor X is paying for a star and your not that's when it becomes an issue...

I think the powers that be did a fair job of trying to keep a balance of this...there's always the exception though right? Who remembers John Boyer? John was and may still be the guy for building all badass tube chassis crawlers. Johns also a member here...does he post? Nope... should he have had a star when years ago people were posting up a different chassis each week...probably.

Like I said earlier, things need to evolve, especially considering the support we have now and things like 3D printing

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 12-12-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #33
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
So true.

There have been more than a few times I see something cool or interesting on FB and it is only a picture. No info on how anything was done and good luck even finding the same picture if it has been a couple days.

On the other hand, I was looking for some info last week on a set of old 3.2 in tires and the answer I needed was in a post on here from 2007. Good luck finding that on FB.

Now excuse me while I go find some threads to tell 1BJB that he builds nice turks.

This happens on a daily basis, I participate in facebook, I share stuff all the time but there is no substance left after a few hours. Its simply knocked down and its over and done with.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #34

Quote:

Things need to change... RCC has done a lot for me over and Id hate to see it slowly die off but I fear its heading that way unless there is change and a way to bring people back and keep people here.
The search function is the only thing forums have over Facebook. But, let's be honest, the search function on forums is questionable at best anyway.

When the owners have given up on this forum the people start to notice and they go elsewhere. Revitalization has to start at the top.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Jason (one of the owners for those that do not know) posts on the RCC FB page but doesn't answer people here.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #36
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Jason (one of the owners for those that do not know) posts on the RCC FB page but doesn't answer people here.
The actions of a passionate owner...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #37
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The search function is the only thing forums have over Facebook. But, let's be honest, the search function on forums is questionable at best anyway.

When the owners have given up on this forum the people start to notice and they go elsewhere. Revitalization has to start at the top.
I would have to kindly disagree, I feel like the search feature here works pretty well

I dont think its the "only" thing we have over facebook, although then again with out the 12 days xmas and lack of giveaways that is an issue...

Quote:
I saw John at Axial fest this year, I dont think its that they dont care I think people lives have evolved... I see it even in the core group of guys I am friends with. Many of them are married with the kids now.. life has changed for them

Then there is me... Still not married, my engagement went to shit cause she was a whore, so I took all my wedding money I saved and bought race car shit and toy truck stuff. Big reason as to why I can be active, no wife and no kids.

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 12-12-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #38
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
The actions of a passionate owner...
lets not pretend social media isnt a powerful outlet and directly effects a business which this is...

lets also not forget we wouldn't be where we are today without Jason and badger and RCC

People tend to forget that
Old 12-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I saw John at Axial fest this year, I dont think its that they dont care I think people lives have evolved...
I can agree with this, maybe let the people here know that from themselves, maybe transfer the power to someone who has the time/passion to continue what they built.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #40

Quote:
If that doesn't prove the owners don't give a shit about this site I don't know what does.

Quote:
I would have to kindly disagree, I feel like the search feature here works pretty well

I dont think its the "only" thing we have over facebook, although then again with out the 12 days xmas and lack of giveaways that is an issue...

I saw John at Axial fest this year, I dont think its that they dont care I think people lives have evolved... I see it even in the core group of guys I am friends with. Many of them of married with the kids now.. life has changed for them

Then there is me... Still not married, my engagement went to shit cause she was a whore, so I took all my wedding money I saved and bought race car shit and toy truck stuff. Big reason as to why I can be active, no wife and no kids.
I'm sure there are other things this forum has over Facebook groups, but I couldn't think of anything when posting that. One thing I like about this forum now is that it's not so crowded. On Facebook you can post photos of your latest rig or ask a valid and unique question and within a half hour it's buried by newbie questions like "WHAT'S DA FASTESTER RC?!?!" or "Which 1 should I by?" horrible grammar included.

Life changes constantly. People move on from passions. That's fine. This forum owes me nothing. I'm not shelling out money for a star. If I were a star holder I'd be more annoyed by the neglect of the site.

Stay single. New toys cure loneliness! And said toys won't nag or run away. Speaking of toys do you have photos of that Chevelle with that big block in it?

RCC's slow demise? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to understand bunt motor s demise.. 04zrx Electronics 5 03-31-2013 06:11 AM
RCC's coverage and photos badger Competitions 61 07-02-2008 09:50 AM
RCC's pictures from Montana. badger Competitions 36 06-03-2008 05:13 PM