Just calling it like I see it
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2017, 05:49 AM   #82
Sinking with the ship

Default Re: RCC's slow demise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I'm not offended in the least although I don't think that my recent join-date has much relevance regarding what I posted above. I also never stated that "likes keep the forum going"... I only eluded to what I've seen on other forums... that sometimes a new guy on a forum may feel that their input isn't relevant if he or she receives no feedback. "Likes" are a quick and simple way to let the poster feel as if their comment has been well-received. Fwiw, I've seen some forums actually discourage comments like "cool info! Thanks for sharing" in certain threads so being a new-guy here, I really wasn't quite sure how this particular forum felt about that.

Btw... Not a snowflake by any stretch nor have I ever had a facebook account in my life... no desire. I'd rather have this type of interaction regardless of your knee-jerk opinion about me. I didn't come here for "likes" either. I came to be part of a community that discusses a variety of cool topics and to learn and to share... That's about it.

Lastly, I'm just playing devils advocate here because I've witnessed the positive as well as the negative ( perceived or actual) in just about every feature, function, TOS, admin/ mod decision that encompasses a forum. "Damned if you do/ damned if you don't" and "Can't please everybody" are certainly applicable with most forums decisions, rules, features/ lack of features, etc... so I understand opposing perspectives for the most part.

Anyway... no disrespect intended to anyone, just wanted to offer up another side and I honestly understand where you're coming from, 1BJB.
No knee jerk here, I saw your post much earlier and some others and took the time to think of my response.

For starters, I didnt think you were actually a snow flake, I am saying it in a generalized form.

This forum used to be the "mini pirate 4x4" of the rc crawler world. We had and have the BEST tech info out there, and you had to have some thick skin to hang here back in the day. Sometimes, we were even referred to as assholes...I know I was and probably still am. Guys dont like my stance on scale rules, and while pushing my agenda here isnt the time or place I think one think people will say is that I know scale trucks, I know RCC, and I have been here for more then minute so I have a little bit of an idea on things.

You are right in some things you stated, or maybe I should say you have a valid point... Back "in the day" when when there wasnt the support we have now, the buy sell and trade forum here was a HUGE source for parts, trucks, etc especially when newer things were coming out and stuff was on back order a lot of times. I also start in a time period when a Bruiser cab cost you 100$...a BARE cab...no grill, no interior, no nothing SOOO with that said, having access to the BST was a big thing. It was also an issue as things started getting popular because there was a lot of scamming. the Admins made the ruling for the 30 days and 30 posts to see the classifieds (or buy a star) to cut down on the BS. The issue then was youd have some schmuck noob who could careless about the forum, the threads, posts or anything else would literally try and access the forum BST by posting 38 "cool!!!" posts in 8 minutes...needless to say that led to a lot vacations

Now, fast forward almost 13 years later and there are A LOT changes in the hobby and IMO things need to change here. As stated earlier, I think starting with opening the BST to all would help. I also think having the mods not micro manage the "cool truck" posts would help as well.

Again, my .02...
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Thanks, engine bay isn’t anything special, smoothed fire wall and a Merlin iron big block between the rails... there may or may not be plate
Like b(@)(@)bs, all big blocks are special! Kids these days barely know what a V8 is let a lone a biggun'!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Living the good life next to the garage, had it out this weekend, drives nice with the new pitbulls
Rocker radials may be my next purchase. I have the 40 SXIIs on trailreadys now and they beat me to death and wont balance out for anything.

Quote:
Here are my ideas laid the fawk out for everyone to see

1)SHIT CAN THE LIKE BUTTON, BURN IT, then BURN it AGAIN!

2)Loosen up the grip...who gives a rat's ass if someone says "cool truck" and moves on

3)open the classifieds.... still don't allow replies because all the idiots will come out of the woodwork with their BS but open it up for anyone to see regardless of post count. In today's era with credit card protection and PayPal scamming don't work so well, not saying it doesn't happen but that's why we have a feedback page. Its not RCCs problem if you buy something and the seller doesn't send it...I see it ALLLLLL day long on Facebook and guess what?? do people go and bitch to facebook and say SO and So scammed me? Noooo!! fawk outta here! FB dont give a rat's ass if you dumbass paid some guy in the middle of bum fawk no where 1280$ for his "built" scx10 and you were dumb enough to pay family and friends

4)Gotta do something to bring the vendor drive back, I don't know what that is, maybe its lessening the star if possible? Offering a month free banner ad or something? I don't know...but what I do know is I can go to facebook, start my own page, sell my shit for free and it has a huge audience

I think this would be a good start... just my .02
I approve of this message

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Like b(@)(@)bs, all big blocks are special! Kids these days barely know what a V8 is let a lone a biggun'!
You got that right
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #85
Fan of wheelspeed

Just my $0.02 here but in my case the drop in activity came with from issues with PB (by the way, who are you guys using now?) I had years of very good information on custom bodywork and paint work that are all lost now. I tried to get back in to retrieve some and I ended up with the alerts from Symantic left and right. Everything was lost. I can't be the only one this happened to and I'm also sure I'm not the only one who got discouraged and said F-it.
As for the decline in vendors and certain niches of custom work, I squarely place the blame on FB and the $100 cost for a star. I had to do a job for free just to be able to buy a star. True, it granted me access to a lot of potential buyers, but at what cost? A quarter of my paycheck just to be able to offer work to others? The work taken to offset the cost of a blue star would take me weeks to do. Before I dropped out of RCC as a vendor I turned to FB and still had the incoming customers requesting work and such. There are so many people on FB that as a vendor or someone doing work for hire, I could not see the benefit in paying $100 to keep a blue star here when nearly all of my requests were coming from FB. I'm no company by any stretch of the imagination, but as a employee of one who constantly looks at statistics it doesn't take a genius to figure out where and how your advertising money should be spent in this scenario. It's like Facebook and Photobucket got together and asked how they could kill nearly every forum on the internet.
A little off topic here, but the mainstreaming of 3D printing absolutely KILLED my niche in this hobby. So vendors who performed work like I did were squeezed out of the market and therefor activity slowed down from all of those threads too. It felt like the progression of the hobby and the "up and coming" generation turned its back on those who learned the hard way, or had to build what they wanted. Now you place a order, its printed in fair quality and you save half or more of what it cost to have one made. 3D printing spread like wildfire and while it is a HUGE step forward for every hobby and nearly every market everywhere in the world, it felt like a kick to the balls when I started seeing work that took me a month to do being cranked out in a day and sold for less than half.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

I see a lot of arguments for and against the like button. I agree with high plains drifter, as a newbie myself, I did not want to risk being labeled a post whore by commenting on peoples builds before I hit the 30 post mark.

Also, I say this even though I had no real interest in the BST (being Canadian, I assume - often correctly, that people will either not want to ship to me, or that the cost of shipping will negate any potential savings).

To be honest, I've completely lost track of where the like button is. I thought it appeared beside each post in a thread, yet I no longer see it.

I do however enjoy recieving both comments and likes, and don't think the like button is to blame for the demise of the site. If we want newbies to make tech free comments, we need to make it clear that although they won't count towards their first 30, they are still appreciated and not a potential rule breaker. Hell, I know that I have personally seen long time users tell newbies that they'll have all the time in the world for "nice rig posts" once they get their 30 tech posts in.

As far as buying a star goes, I held off as last year I had missed the 12 days contest by the time I registered. This year I wanted to wait and see if it would return before buying a star... Obviously that didn't happen.

Also wanted to weigh in on regional section - the complete lack of response I've recieved to threads there is one of the primary reasons I made a facebook account - accessing locals who might want to get together to trail drive or BST.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
This forum used to be the "mini pirate 4x4" of the rc crawler world. We had and have the BEST tech info out there, and you had to have some thick skin to hang here back in the day. Sometimes, we were even referred to as assholes...I know I was and probably still am. Guys dont like my stance on scale rules, and while pushing my agenda here isnt the time or place I think one think people will say is that I know scale trucks, I know RCC, and I have been here for more then minute so I have a little bit of an idea on things.
PBB has NO like button. Thick skin still required.

Quote:
No replacement for displacement. Same with boobies to an extent. All you need is a handful, but more doesn't hurt. Same with power.
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #88
RCC Addict

This is kind of reminiscent of the thread we had on URC before the lights went out.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
This is kind of reminiscent of the thread we had on URC before the lights went out.
I thought it was coming back.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
I thought it was coming back.
I've since lost track of time but I think it's been down since the end of September and the banner on the homepage went up a couple days after the error happened. The main problem was there were probably only about 30 or so active users left after the first big outage, now if it does manage to come back up I really don't know who would been on, since I myself haven't checked for about a month or so. I wouldn't care if Jang rehosted it only in archive form at this point.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

You can't wipe history. This place is still filled with historical knowledge. Many people seemingly moved on with life, some of us still lurk in the shadows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correll View Post
PBB has NO like button. Thick skin still required.
Forums that pride themselves on giving people a hard time only benefit the small in-crowd that get off on being jerks while the forum suffers as a whole. I saw a lot of it when I was on Jeep forums back in the day, and ask me if I ever stop by to click around since I've sold the Jeep... nope! The only thing keeping those forums above water is the constant supply of noobs coming from the massive sales success of the Wrangler. If it was a niche market like R/C they'd be doing worse than RCC, guaranteed.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #93
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Forums that pride themselves on giving people a hard time only benefit the small in-crowd that get off on being jerks while the forum suffers as a whole. I saw a lot of it when I was on Jeep forums back in the day, and ask me if I ever stop by to click around since I've sold the Jeep... nope! The only thing keeping those forums above water is the constant supply of noobs coming from the massive sales success of the Wrangler. If it was a niche market like R/C they'd be doing worse than RCC, guaranteed.
Pirate is not noob friendly in the least, been a member for years, less active as of late. They have a strong dislike of jeeps like many of the scale builders feel about lexan But they also have some of the best tech and build advice threads you could ever hope to go over in the 1:1 custom fab world. Think "crash" build thread here, but 10-15 going in any of the sub forums at a given time from full size Dodge on rockwells traversing the Alaskan Tundra, to one of the 2k or so Toyota truggy or jeepspeed builds.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #94
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
PBB is good people. They help out each other if shit hits the fan if they can, money, parts, towing, whatever. And alot people there don't wheel newer wranglers anyway. People still build stuff there too, just like here.

I do understand your point though about Jeep Forums trust me, I was just standing up for Pirate...not as douchey as one would think.

PBB and RCC stay open on my work laptop all day on my toolbox....
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I've since lost track of time but I think it's been down since the end of September and the banner on the homepage went up a couple days after the error happened. The main problem was there were probably only about 30 or so active users left after the first big outage, now if it does manage to come back up I really don't know who would been on, since I myself haven't checked for about a month or so. I wouldn't care if Jang rehosted it only in archive form at this point.
JANG's in it for the money. Keeping it up as an archive costs money while getting little return. I don't see it returning as archive only. But there is a lot of good info there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
You can't wipe history. This place is still filled with historical knowledge. Many people seemingly moved on with life, some of us still lurk in the shadows.
You CAN wipe out digital history...

Quote:
It's a Jeep thing. I'll never understand. Jeep drivers are the Mustang drivers of the off-road world.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #96

this place was neutered for the sake of google ad revenue...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #97
MODERATOR™

Yeah, that was a pretty big turning point...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
this place was neutered for the sake of google ad revenue...
Ding DING MO'FAWKINGDING!

Adsense is the easy button for enough revenue to keep the lights on. Cthulhu helo us if there is a server issue because we all know the plug will get pulled vs Jason putting $50 into the place.

A little work around here could easily get it back on track and supported by star holders but that takes time and commitment which it's obvious isn't going to happen. I'm sure the neglect is due to family, change in hobby etc and not anything nefarious but if you don't have time for the place then pass the torch and let those still involved with the industry take control!

As for the like button I've never given a like. I have on accident fat fingering my phone but have always gone back and taken it back. Personally I'll post a comment be it good or bad vs the silly like button. That said I have nearly double the likes given vs total post count. That says there are some people here that need to seriously examine themselves because something is wrong.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Ding DING MO'FAWKINGDING!

Adsense is the easy button for enough revenue to keep the lights on. Cthulhu helo us if there is a server issue because we all know the plug will get pulled vs Jason putting $50 into the place.

A little work around here could easily get it back on track and supported by star holders but that takes time and commitment which it's obvious isn't going to happen. I'm sure the neglect is due to family, change in hobby etc and not anything nefarious but if you don't have time for the place then pass the torch and let those still involved with the industry take control!

As for the like button I've never given a like. I have on accident fat fingering my phone but have always gone back and taken it back. Personally I'll post a comment be it good or bad vs the silly like button. That said I have nearly double the likes given vs total post count. That says there are some people here that need to seriously examine themselves because something is wrong.
Who the fawk doesn't use a browser that blocks that adsense BS? I never see adnonsense anywhere.

I liked your post both in button form and comment form. It was amazing.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Who the fawk doesn't use a browser that blocks that adsense BS? I never see adnonsense anywhere.

I liked your post both in button form and comment form. It was amazing.
I use chrome on my phone and tablet but I do have the adblock browser too for when I need to go to photobucket to retrieve a pic. That site locks my junk up if I go in naked.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

RCC's slow demise? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to understand bunt motor s demise.. 04zrx Electronics 5 03-31-2013 06:11 AM
RCC's coverage and photos badger Competitions 61 07-02-2008 09:50 AM
RCC's pictures from Montana. badger Competitions 36 06-03-2008 05:13 PM