Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: RCC's slow demise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #101

Default Re: RCC's slow demise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I use chrome on my phone and tablet but I do have the adblock browser too for when I need to go to photobucket to retrieve a pic. That site locks my junk up if I go in naked.
I just have the uBlock (an ad blocker) extension installed in Chrome.

Photophucket at it again...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #102
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Ding DING MO'FAWKINGDING!

Adsense is the easy button for enough revenue to keep the lights on. Cthulhu helo us if there is a server issue because we all know the plug will get pulled vs Jason putting $50 into the place.

A little work around here could easily get it back on track and supported by star holders but that takes time and commitment which it's obvious isn't going to happen. I'm sure the neglect is due to family, change in hobby etc and not anything nefarious but if you don't have time for the place then pass the torch and let those still involved with the industry take control!

As for the like button I've never given a like. I have on accident fat fingering my phone but have always gone back and taken it back. Personally I'll post a comment be it good or bad vs the silly like button. That said I have nearly double the likes given vs total post count. That says there are some people here that need to seriously examine themselves because something is wrong.
You don’t come across as the liking type. Shit, you don’t even come across as being particularly likeable...

...but for some reason your ornery posts make the place feel right.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #103

the main thing that's kind of turned me off here is that because I'm a newbie, I feel like i'm being treated like a 10 year old..with safeguards in place to keep a 10 year from causing a mess, yet to me who's 41 and knows a thing or two it's just more frustration. I don't like being told that I have to make 30 meaningful post posts to get into the classifieds section. I don't currently have an rc car(so that excludes me from 90% of the type of posts I can make) but I'm in the market for one and want one used (i'm not new to rc, I used to race touring cars back in the day of the rs4 pro) and that limits me..so I go to facebook and join an auction group and already have an scx10 trans for a ground up parts build. It's a nice forum, don't get me wrong..but don't treat me like a kid when I ain't one...

sorry if this offends anyone
DarthBacon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
You don’t come across as the liking type. Shit, you don’t even come across as being particularly likeable...

...but for some reason your ornery posts make the place feel right.
This site is full of characters. That's what makes this forum feel different IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBacon101 View Post
the main thing that's kind of turned me off here is that because I'm a newbie, I feel like i'm being treated like a 10 year old..with safeguards in place to keep a 10 year from causing a mess, yet to me who's 41 and knows a thing or two it's just more frustration. I don't like being told that I have to make 30 meaningful post posts to get into the classifieds section. I don't currently have an rc car(so that excludes me from 90% of the type of posts I can make) but I'm in the market for one and want one used (i'm not new to rc, I used to race touring cars back in the day of the rs4 pro) and that limits me..so I go to facebook and join an auction group and already have an scx10 trans for a ground up parts build. It's a nice forum, don't get me wrong..but don't treat me like a kid when I ain't one...

The 30 post thing is to prevent spammers.

The best way to avoid being treated like a newbie is to do Google searches and read things before asking questions. Most RC questions have been answered numerous times already.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I'm Offended and......

By your post.
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Yeah ... 13+ years and I think I've bought my last star sadly (unless I get annoyed with the tiny inbox like I did last year ).
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

I stopped buying the star for the reasons already covered. The giveaways were just a bonus, not what motivated my star purchase. I rarely even look anywhere but chit chat these days when I log on.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #108
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Like b(@)(@)bs, all big blocks are special! Kids these days barely know what a V8 is let a lone a biggun'!
True, I dug up an older pic...No that much has changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Rocker radials may be my next purchase. I have the 40 SXIIs on trailreadys now and they beat me to death and wont balance out for anything.
I approve of this message
You got that right
I like them alot, but they feel "heavy" on the mini truck compared to the trepadors but they do ride better then my daily driver set which is MTRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Just my $0.02 here but in my case the drop in activity came with from issues with PB (by the way, who are you guys using now?) I had years of very good information on custom bodywork and paint work that are all lost now. I tried to get back in to retrieve some and I ended up with the alerts from Symantic left and right. Everything was lost. I can't be the only one this happened to and I'm also sure I'm not the only one who got discouraged and said F-it.
As for the decline in vendors and certain niches of custom work, I squarely place the blame on FB and the $100 cost for a star. I had to do a job for free just to be able to buy a star. True, it granted me access to a lot of potential buyers, but at what cost? A quarter of my paycheck just to be able to offer work to others? The work taken to offset the cost of a blue star would take me weeks to do. Before I dropped out of RCC as a vendor I turned to FB and still had the incoming customers requesting work and such. There are so many people on FB that as a vendor or someone doing work for hire, I could not see the benefit in paying $100 to keep a blue star here when nearly all of my requests were coming from FB. I'm no company by any stretch of the imagination, but as a employee of one who constantly looks at statistics it doesn't take a genius to figure out where and how your advertising money should be spent in this scenario. It's like Facebook and Photobucket got together and asked how they could kill nearly every forum on the internet.
A little off topic here, but the mainstreaming of 3D printing absolutely KILLED my niche in this hobby. So vendors who performed work like I did were squeezed out of the market and therefor activity slowed down from all of those threads too. It felt like the progression of the hobby and the "up and coming" generation turned its back on those who learned the hard way, or had to build what they wanted. Now you place a order, its printed in fair quality and you save half or more of what it cost to have one made. 3D printing spread like wildfire and while it is a HUGE step forward for every hobby and nearly every market everywhere in the world, it felt like a kick to the balls when I started seeing work that took me a month to do being cranked out in a day and sold for less than half.
All the more reason why things to be be reevaluated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post
I see a lot of arguments for and against the like button. I agree with high plains drifter, as a newbie myself, I did not want to risk being labeled a post whore by commenting on peoples builds before I hit the 30 post mark.

Also, I say this even though I had no real interest in the BST (being Canadian, I assume - often correctly, that people will either not want to ship to me, or that the cost of shipping will negate any potential savings).

To be honest, I've completely lost track of where the like button is. I thought it appeared beside each post in a thread, yet I no longer see it.

I do however enjoy recieving both comments and likes, and don't think the like button is to blame for the demise of the site. If we want newbies to make tech free comments, we need to make it clear that although they won't count towards their first 30, they are still appreciated and not a potential rule breaker. Hell, I know that I have personally seen long time users tell newbies that they'll have all the time in the world for "nice rig posts" once they get their 30 tech posts in.

As far as buying a star goes, I held off as last year I had missed the 12 days contest by the time I registered. This year I wanted to wait and see if it would return before buying a star... Obviously that didn't happen.

Also wanted to weigh in on regional section - the complete lack of response I've recieved to threads there is one of the primary reasons I made a facebook account - accessing locals who might want to get together to trail drive or BST.
If the BST restriction was lifted there would be no reason, or at least a lot less of reason for people to think your a post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correll View Post
PBB has NO like button. Thick skin still required.

No replacement for displacement. Same with boobies to an extent. All you need is a handful, but more doesn't hurt. Same with power.
and Pirate is still very active

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
You can't wipe history. This place is still filled with historical knowledge. Many people seemingly moved on with life, some of us still lurk in the shadows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Yeah but I dont want it to become just an archive avenue... lets face it, 90% of the facebook crawlers dont even know what a TLT axle is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correll View Post
PBB is good people. They help out each other if shit hits the fan if they can, money, parts, towing, whatever. And alot people there don't wheel newer wranglers anyway. People still build stuff there too, just like here.

I do understand your point though about Jeep Forums trust me, I was just standing up for Pirate...not as douchey as one would think.

PBB and RCC stay open on my work laptop all day on my toolbox....
Same here, we have done a lot of different charity things over the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
this place was neutered for the sake of google ad revenue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Yeah, that was a pretty big turning point...
True, it killed threads like the hot wife one but this entire place overall is dead now

Quote:
Ding DING MO'FAWKINGDING!

Adsense is the easy button for enough revenue to keep the lights on. Cthulhu helo us if there is a server issue because we all know the plug will get pulled vs Jason putting $50 into the place.

A little work around here could easily get it back on track and supported by star holders but that takes time and commitment which it's obvious isn't going to happen. I'm sure the neglect is due to family, change in hobby etc and not anything nefarious but if you don't have time for the place then pass the torch and let those still involved with the industry take control!

As for the like button I've never given a like. I have on accident fat fingering my phone but have always gone back and taken it back. Personally I'll post a comment be it good or bad vs the silly like button. That said I have nearly double the likes given vs total post count. That says there are some people here that need to seriously examine themselves because something is wrong.
I agree, it needs work... and as stated before, I think it starts with axing the BST restrictions and like button

Quote:

This was implemented back in the day to protect senior members from getting scammed, not to treat you like 10 year old... There other avenues to buy used and combing through some builds and leaving some feedback isnt that hard to do and would help the forum. Or buy a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Yeah ... 13+ years and I think I've bought my last star sadly (unless I get annoyed with the tiny inbox like I did last year ).
Thats pretty sad to here from an OG like yourself man...not good. Not the direction I wanna see this place going
Attached Images

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

. There other avenues to buy used and combing through some builds and leaving some feedback isnt that hard to do and would help the forum. Or buy a star...
very good point...I just hope that replying to a months old thread isn't a bad thing..
DarthBacon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #110
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
very good point...I just hope that replying to a months old thread isn't a bad thing..

I don’t have any issue with anyone replying to a thread that may be a month old if it’s a legit in relevant question now if it’s a few years old I would probably just start your own thread and ask a question or whatever it may be
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

The star...mmm i joined in 06, i think it rcc started to sell that membership for $20 that same year, i almost inmediatly payed up, don't recall why just the sense that $20 was nearly nothing to support this site, fast forward 11 years and a lot has changed in my life, i still pay the $20 not because of the giveaways or to be in the cool kids crowd, but because it doesn't feel right (to me) to get something for nothing, like all the knowledge and Friends i have aquired through the years being on this fórum, also if that $20 helps keep this place afloat so be it. i like to interact with members on here , i consider this a family away from my family...
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
The star...mmm i joined in 06, i think it rcc started to sell that membership for $20 that same year, i almost inmediatly payed up, don't recall why just the sense that $20 was nearly nothing to support this site, fast forward 11 years and a lot has changed in my life, i still pay the $20 not because of the giveaways or to be in the cool kids crowd, but because it doesn't feel right (to me) to get something for nothing, like all the knowledge and Friends i have aquired through the years being on this fórum, also if that $20 helps keep this place afloat so be it. i like to interact with members on here , i consider this a family away from my family...
That is a fair enough feeling. However the exchange for the use of the forum is the traffic you bring and the content that you create.

Ad placement depends on both of those things, without you the forum owner isn't making any money.

Back in 2000 what ever Im sure that star money helped defer the cost of hosting the site, now I am sure that the ad money generates revenue.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Well as a newbie I cant speak to how things used to be, but all I know is that RCCrawler kept coming up over and over again when googling various crawler subjects and I felt like its the place to go for this kind of info which got me to finally join. Having Photobucket wipe out all pictures from old forum posts was a terrible blow to all forums everywhere not just this one alone.

I've done my best to contribute to the forum as its only as good as its members. Anyway I feel like this is still a very useful forum but I guess there are some inner workings I don't fully understand.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #114
Quarry Creeper

My sentiments exactly!

I would also be far more likely to buy a star if ownership changed hands, or the current owners were able to dedicate more time and get things back on the right track... ie: attract contest holders, star holder promotions, etc. and prove that they aren't going to stand idly by while the site slowly dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
That is a fair enough feeling. However the exchange for the use of the forum is the traffic you bring and the content that you create.

Ad placement depends on both of those things, without you the forum owner isn't making any money.

Back in 2000 what ever Im sure that star money helped defer the cost of hosting the site, now I am sure that the ad money generates revenue.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:51 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Face it, forums in general are dying out. You have to have a little bit of a brain to navigate around a forum, find stuff and post stuff. FB is, for the most part, brainless. It also condenses a lot of different things into one area, eliminating the need for multiple log-ins on multiple sites. Again, for forum style builds and posts, it sucks.

I am going to offend some people here, brace yourselves...

For those that say, "I don't do Facebook", you are either an idiot, or you are a liar. FB is a resource, a tool, just like any other site, something to use to glean information. For me, I go on, look at what is happening on the RC Construction page, RC4WD TF2 page, the TRX4 page, and to see what is going on with the local RC clubs and if there are any get-togethers happening, and where. I see what my family is up to, reaffirming my decision to not live near them, send some stupid shit to a couple friends, then I am off; there was 15 minutes of my day.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #116
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Face it, forums in general are dying out. You have to have a little bit of a brain to navigate around a forum, find stuff and post stuff. FB is, for the most part, brainless. It also condenses a lot of different things into one area, eliminating the need for multiple log-ins on multiple sites. Again, for forum style builds and posts, it sucks.

For those that say, "I don't do Facebook", you are either an idiot, or you are a liar. FB is a resource, a tool, just like any other site, something to use to glean information. For me, I go on, look at what is happening on the RC Construction page, RC4WD TF2 page, the TRX4 page, and to see what is going on with the local RC clubs and if there are any get-togethers happening, and where. I see what my family is up to, reaffirming my decision to not live near them, send some stupid shit to a couple friends, then I am off; there was 15 minutes of my day.
What about your daily selfy?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
What about your daily selfy?

I joined bookface this passed year. I don't do it "correctly" as I don't post to my wall, I don't follow anyone etc. It is good for communicating with people but thats about it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Thanks, everyone loves the silver, it’s actually a Dodge Viper color

Without disclosing info that may or may not be allowed the Mods do or did converse with Admin...

Thanks for the props on the car, I occasionally do live my life a 1/4 mile at a time... 11.39 @115

Thanks, engine bay isn’t anything special, smoothed fire wall and a Merlin iron big block between the rails... there may or may not be plate

I liked it, now you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Ohhhhhh herrrrrrO EeePee

I’m a glutton for punishment apparently.... I mean I also put a ring on a girl who went ATM... apparently that is not wife material ... learn something new every day I suppose. That was also an expensive mistake, apparently engagement rings are worth less then half what once you walk out the door and GIA certs and appraisals don’t mean shit.

This is the longest the Subaru has been back together and running. I found a reputable engine builder and decided it’s never gonna be fast so now I do car shows and enjoy watching it collect dust in the garage next to chevelle.

I’m all for change, but things like that gotta come from the top, hopefully they review this thread.

The ATM comment wins for the week...

As a member for quite a few years it does sadden me to see this falling off. It's like a slow wreck that I can't help to stop. With the huge interest in scale stuff, there is no reason this site can't be a powerhouse. Hopefully something turns. Maybe wheelchair can take over? ahhaha
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #119
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

For those that say, "I don't do Facebook", you are either an idiot, or you are a liar.
I don't do facebook.

The way you talk about it makes me consider it tho. You are a Facebox salesman. All I wanna Know is, will you be my facebook friend if I join???

I know how you spud-heads get....you should cruze over here to Sheep fawker land where the cool kids are.
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #120
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:

I joined bookface this passed year. I don't do it "correctly" as I don't post to my wall, I don't follow anyone etc. It is good for communicating with people but thats about it.
I would say you are doing it about as correctly as you can. Set up properly, your news feed actually has the potential to be quite catered to your interests.

My advice, try not to get found by every tom,dick and Mary from your past...

RCC's slow demise? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to understand bunt motor s demise.. 04zrx Electronics 5 03-31-2013 06:11 AM
RCC's coverage and photos badger Competitions 61 07-02-2008 09:50 AM
RCC's pictures from Montana. badger Competitions 36 06-03-2008 05:13 PM