Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: the WTH thread is back!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #1201

Default Re: the WTH thread is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
remember kids in the back of a pick up truck?

edit: dammit Jato Tree'd me!

I remember sitting in the back of my uncle's lifted, sky high Ford truck as a kid. If you fell out of that while it was standing still you could be severely hurt let alone going down the road.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #1202
Quarry Creeper

Fenderwells got uncomfortable on longer rides. Up against the back of the cab stretched out was where it was at. Above about 25mph, you'd stay dry in the rain too. LOL

EDIT: It just dawned on me that we got hauled around like garbage back in the day.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #1203
Quarry Creeper

I went from San Francisco to Los Angeles in a bed of a pick up truck. 6 hr drive. I was sunburned and a little dehydrated by the end of it.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #1204
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Well... Air can be dangerous, or cause other dangers, at the least.

I was helping a former employer change tires on one of his oil trucks. He explained to me why, after setting the tire and the lock ring, you inflate the tire in a safety cage. He went on to explain that, if the bead fails and the ring blows off the wheel, chances are you aren't going to live to tell about it, as that ring's first destination will likely be your skull.

Then again, we are talking about 140 psi as opposed to 32.
When I was in the Army, a truck driver has to know how to change a tire out in the field, where you don't have safety cages. So after reinstalling the split ring, you flip over the tire so the ring is facing the ground before you start filling with air, and stand in the rim while you fill, that way if it does let loose, you don't lose your head. I never had a split ring let loose, but one of the other drivers did. He lived, just had a couple bruises from hitting the ground, but he didn't lose any appendages.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #1205
Quarry Creeper

The end is funny.

wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #1206
Quarry Creeper

^^WTF? "I'm not being rude, I'm not being disrespectful."

I don't think she knows what either of those words means.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #1207
RCC Addict

" I would like to introduce myself... and by that, I mean... I am such a confused and self-entitled c#nt completely influenced by social-media that I can't even let my dog take a shit without becoming paranoid of the world around me..."
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #1208
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
When I was in the Army, a truck driver has to know how to change a tire out in the field, where you don't have safety cages. So after reinstalling the split ring, you flip over the tire so the ring is facing the ground before you start filling with air, and stand in the rim while you fill, that way if it does let loose, you don't lose your head. I never had a split ring let loose, but one of the other drivers did. He lived, just had a couple bruises from hitting the ground, but he didn't lose any appendages.

I’ve had to do this on a grader, except I decided I didn’t want to stand in it, so I would flip the tire over onto the ring side, use the mow board to lift the front of the machine, then I would wedge the tire under the front snow plow blade (lower the blade), then I’d pump up the tire while I stood at the rear of the machine, or sat in my truck, while parked at the rear of the machine.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Fenderwells got uncomfortable on longer rides. Up against the back of the cab stretched out was where it was at. Above about 25mph, you'd stay dry in the rain too. LOL

EDIT: It just dawned on me that we got hauled around like garbage back in the day.
Kids these days won't know how awesome it felt to ride in the back of a pickup truck. The closest thing that's legal is a motorcycle or, ugh, convertible to a lesser extent.

I felt more like freedom than like garbage in the back of the truck.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #1210
~THE SCALE SHOP~

her: "This is Don Ringler Chevrolet and Toyota how may i help you"
me: "yes this is Cory Mitchell checking on my 09 Z06 in service"
her: is that a Chevrolet or Toyota?
me: .....................Chevrolet........
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #1211
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

You just reminded me, when I take mt 200 to the dealerfor an oil change Monday, I need to take the "big brake" caliper brackets with me to show the parts guy who also has that body style 200!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #1212

Quote:
It should be legal to punch that person in the face.

Aren't you glad stealerships hire "qualified" individuals these days?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #1213
Quarry Creeper

LOL, people at dealerships don't take those jobs because they're into cars, especially service managers. They do it because in larger areas it's a fairly high paying job. A service manager at a good shop is a six figure a year job.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #1214
Rock Crawler

Quote:
LOL, people at dealerships don't take those jobs because they're into cars, especially service managers. They do it because in larger areas it's a fairly high paying job. A service manager at a good shop is a six figure a year job.
Being a Chief/Counselor is a six figure job in my community (it shouldn’t be...they aren’t doctors). We elect them to run our small community, then they spend their whole term swindling their people
Actually their families elect them, in my community some families are big enough to have that many voters in their family. Not my family, cause there is only three of us.

I won’t get started on how 80% have to get a lawyer to read documents to them cause they either can’t understand multi-syllable words...or maybe they’re illiterate.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #1215

Quote:
Very true, but dealerships should require automobile knowledge as a prerequisite. That's not necessarily realistic at all positions, especially if you want some pretty receptionist, but they could train her that a Corvette is a Chevy. I mean come on.

Remember back in the day when you could walk into a NAPA and the people behind the counter didn't need to ask the trim package in order to get you some windshield wipers?

Part of that is because of their software, but a lot of it is because most people don't know cars like they used to. And the fact that there are hundreds of more car options these days doesn't help. People can't be an expert on every one of those.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #1216
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Very true, but dealerships should require automobile knowledge as a prerequisite. That's not necessarily realistic at all positions, especially if you want some pretty receptionist, but they could train her that a Corvette is a Chevy. I mean come on.

Remember back in the day when you could walk into a NAPA and the people behind the counter didn't need to ask the trim package in order to get you some windshield wipers?

Part of that is because of their software, but a lot of it is because most people don't know cars like they used to. And the fact that there are hundreds of more car options these days doesn't help. People can't be an expert on every one of those.
You sort of contradicted yourself there. But I get the gist of what you're saying. Dealerships don't care if you have any knowledge of cars other than how to sell them as a sales rep, and how to keep service money coming in as a service rep or manager. Either that, or they are in the same boat we are that people just don't want to a lot of work these days. We've been trying to hire somebody for months now in my department. Pay is decent for this area, and your benefits package is paid for by the company, 100%. Still can't find anybody.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #1217

Quote:
You sort of contradicted yourself there. But I get the gist of what you're saying. Dealerships don't care if you have any knowledge of cars other than how to sell them as a sales rep, and how to keep service money coming in as a service rep or manager. Either that, or they are in the same boat we are that people just don't want to a lot of work these days. We've been trying to hire somebody for months now in my department. Pay is decent for this area, and your benefits package is paid for by the company, 100%. Still can't find anybody.
It's impossible to be an expert on each car, but they should have basic knowledge. That's what I meant.

I don't know about you, but I often go into a car buying experience knowing more than the sales rep which is pathetic.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #1218
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't know about you, but I often go into a car buying experience knowing more than the sales rep which is pathetic.
This happens to me quite a bit in the rare instance I'm in Guitar Center. Yes, it's annoying.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #1219
Quarry Creeper

Like I said, dealerships don't care anymore. They just want warm bodies holding down chairs, and bringing in money. The days of giving a shit about the customer after the sale are long gone. Which also extends to caring or knowing what you're dropping off or picking up.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #1220

Quote:
Like I said, dealerships don't care anymore. They just want warm bodies holding down chairs, and bringing in money. The days of giving a shit about the customer after the sale are long gone. Which also extends to caring or knowing what you're dropping off or picking up.
That pretty much sums up 99% of the businesses in the US. Nobody, except maybe mom and pops that are quickly dying, GAF about anything. And like you said earlier, it's so difficult to find people that want to work and care about their work. And companies don't want to pay the people that work hard and care so it's a vicious cycle of not GAF and not having a reason to.

the WTH thread is back! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DCW crawlers is back! New wheel thread BrazinScaleRC Vendors Tires and wheels 12 06-15-2017 08:08 PM
come back and rc drift thread cameraman Florida 3 05-04-2014 08:03 PM