Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: zippos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default zippos

any one in to zippos I always thought they were cool lighters with all the tricks and different grafix and all but the oil tasted nasty

one day I was searching for a good table lighter and I ran across a butain insert for the zippo and renewed my interest i have been through about 10 of them since lol I keep giving them away to friends anyway I have 3 left as of right now

anyone else collect lighters

Last edited by ferp420; 12-17-2023 at 07:04 PM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2023, 03:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: zippos

Actually yeah I’ve acquired a few different ones over the years, but they just sit in a drawer. When I get a chance I’ll take a few pictures of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Use tiki torch oil?
For the 12+ years I smoked I had genuine zippos. Not sure how many i ended up with over those years "cool designs" etc but i only have one left with a pewter face. I always hated when they leaked, as that gave me a rash on my thigh. We were inseparable, and most of my friends had one themselves.

Funny story:

Im walking my dog, friend runs toward me from somewhere with a shiner on his face that was out of this world. "I crashed my parents (volvo 240dl) into a ditch. His girlfriend was with him, and neither were wearing their seat belts. He asked me to cover and say I was in the car with him. Passenger side was cracked too.

Long story short. A zippo in his pocket bent into a banana SIDEWAYS.
He lost his license plus some crap for endangering my life.

Car launched over 10 feet in the air before plunging another 10 below the level of the street, and hit a tree directly with the front fender/wheel, which stopped it instantly.

That piece of shit friend stole my favorite one!

What a friend, eh?

Last edited by Gula; 12-17-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My dad gave me his Zippo with a map of the US Virgin islands engraved on it - that's where he went after he finished his 30 years in the Army.

One of my prize possessions, and I almost had it confiscated when I was boarding a plane on the way BACK from visiting my Mom's side of the family in Germany... (no problems flying TO Germany, go figure!)

I had to toss the original insert into the trash and they let me board with the empty shell.

Anyone that quit smoking but misses carrying their old Zippo around should check this out:

https://www.zippo.com/products/bit-s...40407035215938

Looks like they're pretty popular - sold out Direct, but Amazon has 'em.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

For some reason I can only find two of mine. The snap-on lighter I picked up off the tool truck at work a while back. The other one is a cool ship design that I got while working for a guy that owned some pawn shops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:33 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

I used to carry a Zippo about 6 years ago. Used a Zippo for years when I smoked. Now they are safely packed away...somewhere! I'll have to see if I can find them and get some pics. I have a few limited editions that I used to carry and then displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Anyone that quit smoking but misses carrying their old Zippo around should check this out:

This is cool durok. I had no idea these existed. I'll be picking one of these up for sure. Wouldn't mind carrying a Zippo again, but for another reason!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:46 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
My dad gave me his Zippo with a map of the US Virgin islands engraved on it - that's where he went after he finished his 30 years in the Army.

One of my prize possessions, and I almost had it confiscated when I was boarding a plane on the way BACK from visiting my Mom's side of the family in Germany... (no problems flying TO Germany, go figure!)

I had to toss the original insert into the trash and they let me board with the empty shell.

damb that's cool I'll have to find one of those in the New Year

glad they dident take the case that would have really sucked
Old 12-18-2023, 07:13 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

the silver one was a Marlboro lighter got it new in the box with 1 of the lots I bought it doesn't say Marlboro on it though but anyway it's got a torch flame so it's not really for smokin weed the flame is too hot but I found it's a great field lighter I have been using it to do my soldering with also to loosen locktight on metal parts and a hole bunch of stuff
I even plastic welded my fender flair on my 1 to 1 with it lol
and it's starts fires really good
this is the only one I take out of the house

the orange one is great it's easy to find it has the genuine zippo butain insert pipe lighter style it not surprisingly is the most reliable but looks and works nothing like a zippo kinda disappointing in that department

the black one has a cool brand insert from Germany it looks like a zippo when in the case and works like a zippo has the big striker wheel and the gas comes on when you open the lid it's a pretty good unit it needs to be cleaned a lot though every fill up or it doesn't light and it burns through the butain really fast I use it as my back up

i have a few of the thunderbird butain inserts but both of them blew the butain tank for no reason 1 cracked sitting on the table 1 while it was in my hand after using it
the black spot is from being used as a bowl top lol

I've been eyeballing the trump line lately so one of those will be the next case I getthis one has that Stanley mouse like grateful dead vibe with trump in the uncle sam suit like Jerry used to ware doing the high steep

Last edited by ferp420; 12-18-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:49 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I have a few. Used to collect them when I was younger but after a bunch of moves, I've lost or gave away most of them. The only ones I have left are from my grandpa and one from my Navy days. I stuck a butane torch in that one and use it for cigars.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:02 AM   #10

That Zippo 4-in-1 Bit Safe lighter tool is very cool. Would be cooler if it actually functioned as a lighter as well.

I could see how people could get into collecting Zippos. They are cool and high quality. Are they still made in the USA? I always forget that they are based in Bradford, PA so that is cool as a fellow Pennsylvanian.

I have my grandfather's lighter from WWII. I should check to see if it is a Zippo.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:45 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I've got six Zippo lighters and a handful of other lighters too. Most of them have the pipe insert in them. The brass one is my first Zippo and is around 30 years old and still going strong.

The three shown below are out at the trailer so I poached these images off the Zippo website for visual reference. My black lighter does not have the Zippo logo on it, just plain matte black.

I have a candy red one like this but mine has white maple leaves on it an it has a single flame cigar torch insert in it.

I've got a few nice butane pipe lighters as well.....

.....and a handful of cheap promotional lighters from the cigar shop. Somewhere in the house I also have a good triple flame cigar torch too.

When not in use they are usually stored in my pipe cabinet with all my tobacco pipes.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by JimK; 01-04-2024 at 08:56 AM.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:15 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Found my black Zippo pipe lighter today and a couple of my cigar torches too. Now I just need to hunt down the other two.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:50 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I found my last two Zippo lighters tonight.

Pipe lighter insert in the camo lighter and cigar torch insert in the pretty red lighter.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:25 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I couldn't help self