Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Tim Cameron's new buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tim Cameron's new buggy

I'm not sure where this really belongs, but the reason why I am sharing it is because some of the tech TC put in to his new 1:1 rig, I think I can use on my 1:10 rock bouncer.
TC always pushes the envelope with his builds. If you follow any of his rides, you'll see he takes a lot of tech from desert racing, and tries it out with his RB buggies.
I'm not quite sold on the leading arm suspension design. A few buggies back, TC went with independent front suspension and didn't even finish the SRRA season with it, before he built the last buggy he had that had the tried and true solid axle with a triangulated four link. But I will say that the trailing arm suspension design he has run with for the last four buggies he's had. I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
In the video TC explains how he went with a tie rod in order to strengthen the steering. This tie rod will tie the two knuckles together, thus inherently strengthening the whole design. Genius! I don't want to give it all away, check out the video below, and hit me up if you're in to scale rock bouncing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byMJFU4tUmQ
dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: Tim Cameron's new buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondraper25 View Post
In the video TC explains how he went with a tie rod in order to strengthen the steering. This tie rod will tie the two knuckles together, thus inherently strengthening the whole design. Genius!
Problem with that Tie rod design is that the math doesn't work out on the length! There is going to be some bind in that tie rod vs the changing effective length of the ram and tie rod combos. May not be a crazy amount, but it's not exactly a fully engineered design.

Either way, I still enjoy watching the bouncers.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Problem with that Tie rod design is that the math doesn't work out on the length! There is going to be some bind in that tie rod vs the changing effective length of the ram and tie rod combos. May not be a crazy amount, but it's not exactly a fully engineered design.

Either way, I still enjoy watching the bouncers.
Is anything on a bouncer fully engineered?
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

That thing is hideous. I typically like rock bouncers, but not this one.

All designs have compromises as well...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I honestly can't comprehend how he can see out of that thing and I know his build trends are trending toward the raised shock mounts up front. If anything popped up this year that was interesting to me it was the Outlaw buggy with the mid-engine, wasn't breaking drive axles every run (That's mainly to RCV's credit I suppose), and actually made some of the usual hills look easy:
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

Tim Cameron's new buggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tim Cameron's new buggy..."underrated" 87yota Chit Chat 10 03-19-2014 12:09 PM
Timmy Cameron's new buggy! Lentsnh2012 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 20 06-18-2013 01:34 PM
tim cameron's fugly buggy breakin: ultra bouncer AX10wannabe Chit Chat 3 05-27-2013 09:02 PM
RC tuber chassis based on Tim Cameron's Showtime buggy - 1:10 scale going uphill boolean21 Scale Videos! 4 01-17-2013 08:47 AM
Who is game for building Tim Cameron's new buggy?!?!?!?!? Lentsnh2012 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 22 01-07-2013 05:10 AM