Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Team Associated Trophy Rat!!! And DB10 Buggy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Team Associated Trophy Rat!!! And DB10 Buggy!!!

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...rophy_Rat/RTR/

Way too cool....

Also the DB10 Buggy:

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...flex_DB10/RTR/

Last edited by durok; 01-25-2018 at 10:05 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Team Associated Trophy Rat!!! And DB10 Buggy!!!

Needs to be solid rear axle and 4WD. Kinda weak on AE's part IMO given the competition.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Those are some low effort bodies. The promo pic where the “lights” are on is kinda chicken shit, since it doesn’t actually have any lights.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The Tophy Rat clearly says on the AE page that it includes LED lights.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

boy that knuckle and hex look spindley

i used to race AE back in the day, when they were even with Losi (15-20 years ago )
sadly AE has become a basher RTR brand, and dont really have the competitive vehicles anymore.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
The Tophy Rat clearly says on the AE page that it includes LED lights.
Yep, my bad. They are there.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Gay af
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post

i used to race AE back in the day, when they were even with Losi (15-20 years ago )
sadly AE has become a basher RTR brand, and dont really have the competitive vehicles anymore.
When I raced a couple of years ago the Associated B5Ms ran all over the Losi 22 2.0.

These trucks are just the AE short course trucks with new bodies. Weak releases indeed.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
These trucks are just the AE short course trucks with new bodies. Weak releases indeed.
Actually looking at it, this is a new truck although made from mostly existing parts.

It combines the front suspension of the T5M/SC5M with a new chassis and rear motor configuration. The current SC10 RTRs are still based on the ancient B4 geometry and the newer T5M/SC5M has never been available in rear motor. Not to mention, this truck uses full metric hardware and bearings unlike the mixed bag of the SC10.

This should be much more durable and perform better than any of the current SC10 incarnations. The bodies may not be everyone's cup of tea but this looks like a much better value than the Slash VXL (which will be it's main competition) and costs $20 less.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Actually looking at it, this is a new truck although made from mostly existing parts.

It combines the front suspension of the T5M/SC5M with a new chassis and rear motor configuration. The current SC10 RTRs are still based on the ancient B4 geometry and the newer T5M/SC5M has never been available in rear motor. Not to mention, this truck uses full metric hardware and bearings unlike the mixed bag of the SC10.

This should be much more durable and perform better than any of the current SC10 incarnations. The bodies may not be everyone's cup of tea but this looks like a much better value than the Slash VXL (which will be it's main competition) and costs $20 less.
I don't why people knock the SC10. I used it as a basher when I bought it. I literally jumped a landscape trailer more times than I can count. The only thing I ever broke was a drive pin. After this I fixed it up and went racing, won with it, and never broke anything.

BigSquid claims the Reflex is on an SC10 chassis. Somewhere else I read it was a rear motor version of the SC5M which, like you said, never came in rear motor before. I didn't look into it enough to confirm or deny these claims though.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I don't why people knock the SC10. I used it as a basher when I bought it. I literally jumped a landscape trailer more times than I can count. The only thing I ever broke was a drive pin. After this I fixed it up and went racing, won with it, and never broke anything.

BigSquid claims the Reflex is on an SC10 chassis. Somewhere else I read it was a rear motor version of the SC5M which, like you said, never came in rear motor before. I didn't look into it enough to confirm or deny these claims though.
Looking at the chassis on Horizon's site, it looks like the transmission and motor are behind the rear shock tower, if that is what you mean by "rear motor".

*Edit*

Very first descriptor:

"Based on the 9-time R.O.A.R. National Champion short-course race truck platform, with rear motor design".
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I agree. Many years ago I had 2 slashes 2wd and my kid bought a SC10 2wd as a basher. Out of the box the SC10 was faster, handled better, and held up to abuse better than the slashes with a 9 yr. old driver. Also looked better too.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Looking at the chassis on Horizon's site, it looks like the transmission and motor are behind the rear shock tower, if that is what you mean by "rear motor".

*Edit*

Very first descriptor:

"Based on the 9-time R.O.A.R. National Champion short-course race truck platform, with rear motor design".
Yes, that's rear motor. Mid motor vehicles have the motor in front of the rear suspension arms.

Good catch. I didn't see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
I agree. Many years ago I had 2 slashes 2wd and my kid bought a SC10 2wd as a basher. Out of the box the SC10 was faster, handled better, and held up to abuse better than the slashes with a 9 yr. old driver. Also looked better too.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
Back in the 90s, I owned a Losi truck, an AE truck and a Traxxas buggy. The Traxxas felt the "cheapest" out of the three. I can't attest to current Traxxas quality in 1/10, but I would still be inclined to go AE/Losi if I was looking for a "go fast" vehicle. However, I have read good things about ECX as a budget basher.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I just want the body, looks like International or Studebaker
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
BDR
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post

Might want to check up on who has been winning for the last 20 years

Not saying this thing is any good, BUT you can't say AE don't make a competitive off road car
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

chassis companies don't win the races anymore. the drivers and choice of electronics do. you can go to one track and watch the 4.0 sr losi 22 spank a b6 and to another track and watch the opposite happen.

im not a AE guy.. but I own a b44.2 and needless to say it has a lot more hop ups on it than it should need. rtr plastics ARE different than kit plastics. weather yall think its junk or not.. rtr plastics are and will always be different than kit plastics.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
chassis companies don't win the races anymore. the drivers and choice of electronics do. you can go to one track and watch the 4.0 sr losi 22 spank a b6 and to another track and watch the opposite happen.

im not a AE guy.. but I own a b44.2 and needless to say it has a lot more hop ups on it than it should need. rtr plastics ARE different than kit plastics. weather yall think its junk or not.. rtr plastics are and will always be different than kit plastics.
Another reason why I prefer kits over RTR. To keep the price point down, there are always compromises made with RTRs. Just look at scalers and stock steering servos.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #19

I think that Trophy Rat looks great, but I just don't have any use for a cool looking 2wd short course truck. A solid rear axle would have been great, but at least if it was on a 4wd short course truck I could maybe talk myself into it.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

yep. somebody needs to make a nice RWD Solid axle baja truck chassis.

i actually saw in RC Car action this month, a reader's ride trophy rat. its AMAZING! scratch built tube chassis and styrene body, solid axle... then i saw this thing and just laughed. i mean, nice try? its a neat idea and the body is cool. but... easy pass for me.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Team Associated Trophy Rat!!! And DB10 Buggy!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VA-Scaler hosting 1st Camel Trophy Team Challenge June 1st, 2013 mjderstine Competitions 71 08-18-2013 07:56 PM
VA-Scaler hosting 1st Camel Trophy Team Challenge June 1st, mjderstine Virginia 13 07-12-2013 04:04 PM
Pro Street Rat Rod '47 Ford Pickup Rat Racer thingy on Ebay... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 21 12-31-2012 09:54 AM