Notices

Thread: Cord Cutting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #41
Come and take them!®

Default Re: Cord Cutting...

Thoughts?

https://www.neotube.tv/neotube/

Last edited by Hunter711; 05-05-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

I think I read about this thing on Tom's Hardware. It sits in a "gray area". As it is sold, I believe it is sort-of legal, but it can be easily hacked to pirate channels.

As for my current situation...

We now have no cable (Comcast cancelled 2 days early for some reason ) and we moved down to 60mbs service on the internet. The wife and I were watching Sling on two different TVs while mucking around on our phones and everything seemed pretty smooth and stable. I forgot to ask my step-daughter if she was on Netflix, but I am sure she was on her phone.

So... We are at $74.95/month for internet and $40/month for Sling. Roughly $115 dollars per month down from $195. $80 less on TV/internet per month; almost $1000 per year.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

That guy with the free TV box doesn't understand how programming works. "They're coming from the cloud, just like the cable is." Dumbest shit I've ever heard. Cable comes from a satellite feed originally, and is then pumped out to subscribers over the cable companies infrastructure. Those boxes have been around for quite a while in other parts of the world. My stepdad bought one a couple years back, and it was no different than back when people were flashing satellite RX cards. It would work for a little while, then go out, and need updated again. Even then, some channels would get blocked, etc. They work by pulling torrent streams off the internet. And since you're streaming a torrent file rather than downloading it to keep, it's a very grey area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellyo View Post
What channels do you normally watch motorsports on?
Sorry, I forgot about this one. I mainly keep up with Moto GP, AMA SX, World Superbike, AMA Superbike (see a trend here? ), WRC, F1, global rally racing, and random shit from other parts of the world that I personally love to watch like karting and semi racing that isn't regularly shown here. So;

Fox Sports, mainly FS1 and FS2 for SX and IMSA, Rolex etc coverage
bein sports - for all other things moto
motorsport.tv - WRC coverage, global rally racing, hard enduro, trials, etc

All of this is a sports package add on to Sling TV, and it's an extra $10 a month if memory serves.

Last edited by hpiguy; 05-10-2018 at 09:05 AM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

FS1 & FS2 are available on Sling Blue and the Blue/Orange combo. Motorsports TV is extra, though.

PS Vue will give you FS1 & FS2 on their "Access" package, but they don't have the Motorsports channel.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Sorry, I forgot about this one. I mainly keep up with Moto GP, AMA SX, World Superbike, AMA Superbike (see a trend here? ), WRC, F1, global rally racing, and random shit from other parts of the world that I personally love to watch like karting and semi racing that isn't regularly shown here. So;

Fox Sports, mainly FS1 and FS2 for SX and IMSA, Rolex etc coverage
bein sports - for all other things moto
motorsport.tv - WRC coverage, global rally racing, hard enduro, trials, etc

All of this is a sports package add on to Sling TV, and it's an extra $10 a month if memory serves.
PSVue has FS1 and FS2. We watch UFC Prelims and Fight Nights on FS1 all the time. It does not have motorsports.tv though.

I watch a lot of drag racing, but just about none of it is through PSVue. I'm usually watching it through speedvideo.com or motormaniatv.com on their feeds on Livestream or YouTube. Speed Video typically carries all the PDRA races and Motor Mania does a lot of Radial races.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, the motorsport.tv channel is a must for me after having it. Lots of stuff that you'd never see televised over here otherwise. Also, for any cord cutters, if your device offers the Red Bull channel they have a lot of great completely free sports programming as well. They do WRC highlights, mountain biking including Red Bull Rampage and Crankworx coverage, hard enduro, and tons of non motorsports stuff too.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

"Pluto TV" is another free TV app that has 6-7 sports channels on it.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Yep, I have that one too. Not much sports that I care about, but valid nonetheless.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #49
Pebble Pounder

If I recall... My OTA antenna gets Stadium, as well.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I once owned cable, 10 or more years ago now. Streaming since Netflix, etc came online.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:49 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

I dropped Xfinity after they decided to cap data at 1.2tb/month. Despite the BS they say about how 98% of their customers don't come near that, if you stream only, you will exceed that cap easily. I decided to give T-Mobile a try. It is $55/month, unlimited data and no contract. So far, I haven't seen any drop off in internet performance. And that is with four people in the house using TVs and devices.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:36 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

An update on the T-Mobile hot spot...

After 4 months, this device is pretty solid. I haven't had any service interruptions and performance has been consistent. It is a lot cheaper than Xfinity internet, and there is no contract. I don't play games like I used to, so I can't comment on that aspect. Overall, I'm very happy with it for $55/month.

The only small issue I have had was a couple of apps losing synch with the hotspot and not allowing me to log into them. All this required was a restart of the hotspot. This has only happened twice. Because this required a call to T-Mobile to get sorted, I can also say their tech support was good, as well.

Cord Cutting... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DC power cord TAT76 Electronics 4 03-19-2016 12:33 PM
Cutting the cord. dezfan Chit Chat 37 11-12-2012 08:26 PM
cutting tranny when cutting bottom of chassis off... dieselfuel Newbie General 1 02-23-2006 08:10 PM