Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 2018 Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 2018 Trucks

What about the Nissan Titan xD? The Cummins diesel is a workhorse or you can get the V8.

Personally, I'm a fan of the RAM 1500 - the new 2019 Rebel looks badass.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
A neighbor of my parents has an '18 Tundra, he pulls a 26' 5th wheel and blows by all the diesels that are pulling a similar weight. I didn't like the front end of it at first but it grows on ya.
There is more to towing than just engine performance. According to one RV website, 5th wheel trailers can weigh 8,000 to 10,000 pounds (23 - 30ft), so while the engine might be able to take it, the frame, brakes, and bearings are not made for it. Plus, it is illegal to tow more weight than what a vehicle is rated for; and, if you "upgrade" the truck to tow that much (air bags, heavier sway bars and frame stiffeners), you still have to get the truck recertified before you can legally tow with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The EcoBoost is a beast. I have a couple of family members with them. Impressive motors.

But as far as reliability goes I would put my bet on the V8 being longer lasting with less issues. We all know the inherent issues caused by turbo engines. That might just be my fear of "new" technology though.
That is my biggest worry. I tend to keep trucks for a while, and this one will be no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
What about the Nissan Titan xD? The Cummins diesel is a workhorse or you can get the V8.

Personally, I'm a fan of the RAM 1500 - the new 2019 Rebel looks badass.
I have looked at the Titan, I like the look of the truck and that bed system Nissan has is pretty cool. The zero-gravity seats provide the most comfortable ride of any larger pickup. Power-wise, the V8 isn't bad, but the for the money the towing specs are lackluster compared other trucks in the class. I have read five reviews (major car/truck magazines) on the Cummins, and all of had major issues with that motor starting around 10k miles, most dealing with bellowing white smoke coming out of the exhaust and the truck loosing power while towing.

I have looked at the Ram 1500, and yes the Rebel looks cool, but if memory serves, it was made to rival the Raptor, so it is rather light on its towing specs compared to other trucks.

Awesome input guys, and I am still searching. Because I do keep trucks as long as I do I am trying to load my next one up as much as I can out of the gate. Because of this, my financial manager (wife) and I are having some disagreements on price...

Last edited by Greatscott; 02-06-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I can say this much for certainty, out of all the trucks I have owned in the last 20 years (8 to be exact) I have been impressed with the reliability of my Ram so far. I am at 24k and have had NO issues with it at all..nothing, I cant say that for the older dodges, and the fords and GMs I have had. Now I may have been just lucky but I tend to drive my trucks hard and pull more than they are rated for at times, if I had opted for the 3.55 gears I would be rated for over 10k pulling. I have the 3.21 gears and am rated at 8200k if I recall correctly.

Ram trucks are not dodges now...they are a separate company with Fiat (Fix It Again Tony)...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I have looked at the Ram 1500, and yes the Rebel looks cool, but if memory serves, it was made to rival the Raptor, so it is rather light on its towing specs compared to other trucks.
The Rebel is mostly an appearance package with a little more ground clearance and smaller wheels for larger sidewalls. It still has the same tow rating as the other RAM's. It's not quite on the same level as the Raptor, just a sweet looking truck.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Ram trucks are not dodges now...they are a separate company with Fiat (Fix It Again Tony)...
They can change the name all they want, but Ram is still Dodge is still Fiat Chrysler. Changing the name didn't get rid of the reliability issues.

Example here: https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/...ick-1.12508795

and here:

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 02-06-2018 at 12:07 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

2018 Trucks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 koh ferp420 General Crawlers 10 02-02-2018 10:17 AM
2018 Schedule Jslick WRCCA Information 3 01-24-2018 02:39 PM
2018 Rules are up! Highmark Scale Comp Rules 2 01-14-2018 09:54 PM
Part1: 20 trucks offroading adventures at Woodgrove Ave - Scale trucks mudding! boolean21 Scale Videos! 1 10-09-2012 08:48 PM