Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat
Loading

Notices

Thread: 2018 Trucks

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 2,857
Default 2018 Trucks

So, lets open up a big 'ol can of worms here....

I have a '14 XTerra now (~70K miles), and thinking about trading it in on a new half ton truck, but, what to get? I have been reading all of the reviews I can on 2018 half tons, and I think I am leaning heavy towards a F150. Seems like most of the reviews I read compare features and performance to the F150, saying something like "its handling is almost as good as the 2018 F-150".

With that, I am looking for the best truck I can get, so not necessary sold on the Ford if there is something else better out there. Living in North 'ho, I need 4WD, I want a crew cab (or what Ford calls the "Super Crew"), 6.5' bed, well equipped, and a good amount of towing...

So, without getting into the "tastes great, less filling debate", what do you recommend and why?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: st. louis
Posts: 115
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

If you go diesel keep in mind that all new diesels have DEF tanks now for the exhaust after treatment stuff. Its roughly $5/gal, and use roughly 1gal of DEF per 40ish gal of fuel.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
Proud DMG Stiffy Owner!
 
allanon1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 3,198
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

I would not trade my 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab for any ford or gm...the performance and fuel economy on mine is great.. 5.7 hemi, 8spd trans.. avg combined mpg I get is 19.4. I can easily hit 28mpg on highway trips where I am not towing our camper, and usually its around 16.5 on extended in town driving. Towing is another issue..it tows my 6400lb camper just fine, plenty of power and performance but mpg does suffer..it drops to 9.5, but I dont care about the mpg much when towing. I know it will suffer and calculate my fuel money accordingly.

All things considered, the only drawback I can see to my ram right now is the bed being 5'7'' instead of 6'5''. I am fine with that as I have a 10x12 flatbed trailer if I need to haul anything large. I was an ASE certified master auto tech for many many years, retired from wrenching after 30+ years and I absolutely hated ford's motors from the last 20 years...I made a ton of money on the tritons that liked to spit out spark plugs..but they had other issues with other motors as well. GM had multitudes of injector issues and valve train issues. Ram also had their issues but they were not as bad around here as the Ford and GM trucks. This may be different in other parts of the country..

got 24k on my ram right now and plan to keep this one.

Last edited by allanon1965; 02-05-2018 at 08:03 AM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,866
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

As a Chevy fan I have to say the 2017 F-150 is one of the best looking trucks. But after seeing things like this I couldn't bring myself to buy one.

These photos are from the Traxxas forum. This is an F150 after a 30MPH crash. The frame broke! He said the total repair bill was $30K

Photo of truck. Too large for the forum to embed so here's the link to it: https://i.imgur.com/q3RpOOX.jpg

The frame
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave
 
WHITE-TRASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tri-cities, WA
Posts: 4,340
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

That looks like the upper inner fender structure by the passenger hood hinge. Me thinks "frame broke" guy is a bit confused.



I've looked at a whole bunch of new trucks and I just can't convince myself they're worth half of what they sell for. I'm in the market for a 4 door pickup but I'm looking at pre 2004 Toyota tacomas.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
ROCK STOP HOBBIES
 
CM9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,958
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

go buy a 70-90 dodge with a slant six and a stick. don't buy any new shit. im a ford guy. and getting older im regretting it.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,866
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
That looks like the upper inner fender structure by the passenger hood hinge. Me thinks "frame broke" guy is a bit confused.



I've looked at a whole bunch of new trucks and I just can't convince myself they're worth half of what they sell for. I'm in the market for a 4 door pickup but I'm looking at pre 2004 Toyota tacomas.
See that's what had me confused. Frames aren't usually body colored.

Yeah I won't buy a new truck either. No way a new truck is worth the insane money they are asking.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 142
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Your car payment should never be more than your mortgage payment. Which is why I would never touch a new truck even if I had the means.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Proud DMG Stiffy Owner!
 
allanon1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 3,198
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Your car payment should never be more than your mortgage payment. Which is why I would never touch a new truck even if I had the means.
I agree, my truck payment is half of what my mortgage payment is... I just try not to think about it too much...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: East
Posts: 227
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
If you go diesel keep in mind that all new diesels have DEF tanks now for the exhaust after treatment stuff. Its roughly $5/gal, and use roughly 1gal of DEF per 40ish gal of fuel.
I just put 6 gallons in at a touch over $20. The local truck stop is your friend. The 5gallon fuzzy dice store refills are a rip-off

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 2,857
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Thanks for the responses.

Nope, not looking at a diesel. Up here they are pretty much a N. Idaho fashion statement, and really are not used to tow anything. The first time I heard of DEF I thought they were pulling my leg, like muffler bearings...

I understand cars and engines well enough, but I am just not a car-guy, so buying used (especially old used) isn't what I consider a viable option.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 2,874
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

I've got an 06 Xterra and it's still doing great. Why are you looking to trade in your '14 out of curiousity?

I considered a new truck a while ago, then I built and priced them and almost had a heart failure. Even a basic Ford with 4 wheel drive is almost $40,000.

On a side note, I just read that Ford is having trouble meeting production capacity for their $90,000 and up Expeditions. Truck prices are way out of hand! But people are buying them so what do I know

Anyway, I recently drove my sister-in-law's spanking new Subaru, and it literally drove me nuts. The constant beeping on the lane change warning is incredibly annoying. I'm definitely in the older vehicle camp just for pricing and simplicity.

I ran into a friend of mine last weekend who is GM of a Dodge dealership. They have a ton of late model General Motors vehicles on their used car lot. He claims that people come in and trade them in on Dodges because they're junk. Very few Ford's though. Take it for what you will.

Just some random thoughts.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chico now
Posts: 2,384
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Toyota Tacoma 4X4......................end of conversation.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 2,857
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I've got an 06 Xterra and it's still doing great. Why are you looking to trade in your '14 out of curiousity?

I considered a new truck a while ago, then I built and priced them and almost had a heart failure. Even a basic Ford with 4 wheel drive is almost $40,000.

On a side note, I just read that Ford is having trouble meeting production capacity for their $90,000 and up Expeditions. Truck prices are way out of hand! But people are buying them so what do I know

Anyway, I recently drove my sister-in-law's spanking new Subaru, and it literally drove me nuts. The constant beeping on the lane change warning is incredibly annoying. I'm definitely in the older vehicle camp just for pricing and simplicity.

I ran into a friend of mine last weekend who is GM of a Dodge dealership. They have a ton of late model General Motors vehicles on their used car lot. He claims that people come in and trade them in on Dodges because they're junk. Very few Ford's though. Take it for what you will.

Just some random thoughts.
I really like the Xterra, and has been a great vehicle, but I am looking at getting an RV, so I want something to tow around 8K. Plus, I just miss having a truck, the Xterra is a bit of a pain for larger stuff, having to drag the trailer to town. Also, later model XTerras have a very high trade-in value right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
Toyota Tacoma 4X4......................end of conversation.
Those are nice trucks, but they max out at ~ 7k for towing, and I don't really care for the looks of the Tundra.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 2,874
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I really like the Xterra, and has been a great vehicle, but I am looking at getting an RV, so I want something to tow around 8K. Plus, I just miss having a truck, the Xterra is a bit of a pain for larger stuff, having to drag the trailer to town. Also, later model XTerras have a very high trade-in value right now.
Makes perfect sense. I've towed quite a few trailers and the V6 pulls great. It's a good motor. The brakes are a little sketchy though - I don't know if they upsized the brakes between 2006 and 2014, but mine are way undersized and get replaced every 2 years or so. Thankfully I've got a 6 speed manual which really helps. Agreed it is small inside too. Packing up the family for camping trips and what not is very tight.

If looking into Fords, skip the V8 and go with the boosted 6. I'm told it pulls like a bear.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chico now
Posts: 2,384
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Those are nice trucks, but they max out at ~ 7k for towing, and I don't really care for the looks of the Tundra.
A neighbor of my parents has an '18 Tundra, he pulls a 26' 5th wheel and blows by all the diesels that are pulling a similar weight. I didn't like the front end of it at first but it grows on ya.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,866
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I ran into a friend of mine last weekend who is GM of a Dodge dealership. They have a ton of late model General Motors vehicles on their used car lot. He claims that people come in and trade them in on Dodges because they're junk. Very few Ford's though. Take it for what you will.
That's tough to believe since Dodge/Ram continually lags behind both Ford and GM in reliability. If there's one brand of truck I'd never buy it would be a Dodge both because of what I've read and because of all the Dodge failures I've seen in my family. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
If looking into Fords, skip the V8 and go with the boosted 6. I'm told it pulls like a bear.
The EcoBoost is a beast. I have a couple of family members with them. Impressive motors.

But as far as reliability goes I would put my bet on the V8 being longer lasting with less issues. We all know the inherent issues caused by turbo engines. That might just be my fear of "new" technology though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
A neighbor of my parents has an '18 Tundra, he pulls a 26' 5th wheel and blows by all the diesels that are pulling a similar weight. I didn't like the front end of it at first but it grows on ya.
Come on now. It's not nice to tell tall tales...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 473
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Having owned multiple turbo cars when I was younger, I was about to post that same thing. And the ego boosts have had their fair share of issues as well. I'd stick with a NA V8 if it were me.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 581
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Not sure how far away you are from them but I have heard this dealer ship has the best deals on trucks. My old boss said they paid for his plane ticket just for buying a truck from them.

Dave Smith Motors | Dodge Ram Trucks Chrysler Jeep Chevrolet Buick GMC

I have been looking at trucks for awhile now to for towing my new trailer because my tundra just doesnt have the tow capacity if I want to get a UTV. With all the research I have done the best deal seems to be a Ram 3500 diesel. Im sure the 3500 V8 will tow just as well but why not spend a little more and get a heck of a lot more towing capacity with the diesel.
Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 142
Default Re: 2018 Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Having owned multiple turbo cars when I was younger, I was about to post that same thing. And the ego boosts have had their fair share of issues as well. I'd stick with a NA V8 if it were me.
When my wife and I were looking at mid-size crossovers, we looked at the Escape. We didn't dig the "turbo-lag" in the eco-boost. In fairness, the Santa Fe turbo we drove did the same thing.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



2018 Trucks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 koh ferp420 General Crawlers 10 02-02-2018 10:17 AM
2018 Schedule Jslick WRCCA Information 3 01-24-2018 02:39 PM
2018 Rules are up! Highmark Scale Comp Rules 2 01-14-2018 09:54 PM
Part1: 20 trucks offroading adventures at Woodgrove Ave - Scale trucks mudding! boolean21 Scale Videos! 1 10-09-2012 08:48 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com