Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Losi Super Baja Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Losi Super Baja Rey

Delete this if my search skills suck but didn't see a Losi SBR thread.

That was freakin awesome. Realtime unedited vids are best and would like to see the Traxxas one. Considering the terrain it was in "scale" wise I think it did well and would be what you can really expect. You can see they were full throttle most of the time. Some diff fluid, shock, sway bar and weight bias tuning will get that thing track/desert tuned big time.

Last edited by cmbscx10; 02-02-2018 at 07:59 PM.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Losi Super Baja Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post

That was freakin awesome. Realtime unedited vids are best and would like to see the Traxxas one.
I would as well. However, I'm interested in the BigSquidRC folks getting their hands on the UDR. The beat the crap out of the SBR they tested. It would be nice to see how the UDR fares under similar treatment.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

This video proves a couple things. 1, at 50 mph or whatever they are hitting is simply too fast, far exceeding the trucks ability to handle terrain. Never thought I'd say that . 2, the truck can take a serious beating, red headed step child beating. Hopefully they also did another video that ran the lesser battery size to see how it really works. Won't win any races if the rubber side doesn't stay down.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I too would like to see the UDR outakes video.

It takes stones to put a video like this out to the public in such a competitive market.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i think the udr can outrun the sbr but.. the sbr is 7 lbs heavier and uses a way bigger esc and motor. personally im only going to run my sbr on 4s and if i decide to suck it up and get a udr ill run that on 4s too.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Fun vid, but it cracks me up that the like/dislike ratio is 1:1 as though some roving Traxxas fanboys came across the vid and had to manipulate the votes.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'd like to see the SBR run with some of the built 5 scalers. That would be fun to watch. What is the run time with the SBR? Takes like 100c batteries to overcome the weight, right?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
i think the udr can outrun the sbr but.. the sbr is 7 lbs heavier and uses a way bigger esc and motor. personally im only going to run my sbr on 4s and if i decide to suck it up and get a udr ill run that on 4s too.
Have you pre-ordered your SBR? I plan on getting either an SBR or a UDR. As I've mentioned in the forums, as much as I love the scale look of the UDR, it's all going to come down to overall performance for me. And the SBR can be made to look super scale I'm sure. Plus, owning a Baja Rey already, it should be super easy to get up to speed wrenching on the SBR as it's basically just a larger version. That, and I think it would be kinda cool to have the Big brother and Little brother, and do them up in the same livery.

I talked to my LHS and Horizon is going to be at a show in early April about an hour and a half from my house. It's predominantly an airplane show, but he reached out to his Horizon Rep on my behalf to see if they can bring an SBR along for me to inspect in person. I definitely want to see both rigs with my own eyes before I commit.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I cringe every time I watch that video. With the SBR complete body set retailing for $200, just ouch!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
So the SBR uses a much larger can than the UDR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Fun vid, but it cracks me up that the like/dislike ratio is 1:1 as though some roving Traxxas fanboys came across the vid and had to manipulate the votes.
Eh the video has a very low view count (1,483 when I viewed it) and low likes 18 and dislikes 12. If 12 Traxxas fanboys, as you call them, came and hit dislike compared to 18 people then so be it.

The official video from Horizon (Seen below) has a much higher view count (23,290 with 212 likes and 21 dislikes). I really don't think Traxxas fanboys had a real effect on anything.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I don't really understand why anyone would dislike that is in to RC? I mean, they may not have gone as scale as the Traxxas, but it's still a sweet rig.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #12
RCC Addict

It's basically just an extremely odd like/dislike ratio going by the usual 90% positive ratio, I can't see any other reason for a 60% positive ratio on a well produced, behind the scenes bashing vid other than a bunch of people showing up to dislike for out of spite or just no reason at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I don't really understand why anyone would dislike that is in to RC? I mean, they may not have gone as scale as the Traxxas, but it's still a sweet rig.
I honestly don't know why most of the time, I just pointed it out because its a very odd ratio. I also swear there are people that leave dislikes out of spite for there being 0.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Likes/dislikes, that's all like fake twitter followers. Proof is in the pudding. This will probably be the go to basher of desert larger scale electric trucks , as its name states, its the king. Losi's 5th scale knowledge and experience being put to use. Can I say the "Slash" of larger scale? That said, it will be very, very interesting to see this thing matched up with the UDR, if for no other reason, the difference in weight, as a desert racer. Both are capable of 50 mph (so they say). Common goal with different approaches and paths to execution. I bet guys will be running this out at the 5th scale shortcourse track near Lake Mattews (So Cal) as well.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Losi just posted a video on their FB page going over the SBR suspension.

https://www.facebook.com/59689218858...5806512838859/
Old 02-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

So I was looking at the manual for the SBR on Horizon's site and noticed that the rear end has some sort of limited slip that uses what looks to be O-rings to apply pressure to the discs. Has anybody had any experience with a rear diff like this and how low they usually go before a rebuild is needed? The 1/10 BR has a locked rear end fyi.

Edit: After looking at it again I think it is filled with some sort of high viscosity diff fluid.

Last edited by JDM74; 02-07-2018 at 05:44 PM.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
So I was looking at the manual for the SBR on Horizon's site and noticed that the rear end has some sort of limited slip that uses what looks to be O-rings to apply pressure to the discs. Has anybody had any experience with a rear diff like this and how low they usually go before a rebuild is needed? The 1/10 BR has a locked rear end fyi.

Edit: After looking at it again I think it is filled with some sort of high viscosity diff fluid.
Download the Losi Audi R8 Manual. From what i can tell all 3 diffs and motor were used for the SBR.

Also take a look at the SBR ESC. The Audi R8 must not have sold very well cause the ESC is the same one in the Losi DBXLe and the SBR. It is a rebranded Hobbywing Max 6. The motor is only 6S capable but if you want to speed run it for some reason the ESC is 8S capable but i wouldn't go that far with only a 160A capability.

I run the HW Max5 in my 41lb Losi Mini at 7.4v on the BEC and it barely breaks a sweat on 8S with temps in the high teems low 120's. The Max 6 should laugh at the wieght of the SBR and swing an upgraded servo (If needed) no problem.

I do wish they used the AR8 motor mount but oh well.

The diffs have plates with holes in them and depending on where they are in relation to each other the diff fluid will be transferred more or less as the plate holes are blocked and unblocked. Good cause no plates wear out and because it is a diff can be tuned with fluid. Thicker fluid is moe locked and less slip. I think Losi called it there "Smart Diff" a while ago but could be mistaken. Something similar to shock pistons or maybe how a ball diff works?

Losi SBR vs TURD? IMO the TURD is massively the clear winner for the "Scale" aspect. While the SBR has some scale it is more of a blank canvas compared to the TURD. While i don't like the Upside Down chassis simply because it is so different and i can;t wrap my head around it, the chassis and layout will probably work just fine and have little to know issues if you run it the way the TURD was designed. Time will tell once it is in the hands of the public. I see myself getting one or the other but i need lots of user data before i plop the $$ down.

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/L...nual-MULTI.pdf

Last edited by cmbscx10; 02-07-2018 at 08:04 PM.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
I see myself getting one or the other but i need lots of user data before i plop the $$ down.
I own a DBXL-E and pre-ordered the SBR as soon as it was announced. The release of the UDR didn't sway that decision for me. To me, the extra scale details of the UDR aren't worth paying the same price for a slightly smaller vehicle with lesser electronics (both in power capability and reliability track record).
Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

the sbr does use a bigger motor. 1200kv of axle snapping torque in almost red bull can size. its yuge.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #19
~THE SCALE SHOP~

sweet. shorter run times.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Just by looking at both the vehicles, my opinion is that the SBR looks stronger and more durable than the UDR, since it uses aluminum chassis plates, although it does have a plastic rear driveshaft. The UDR is more "scale" than the SBR, but the SBR does have light bars front and rear, and both have realistic disc brakes, extra wheels, roll cages, and interiors. As far as performance goes, I have no idea, and my guess is that they will probably be very similar, as both have similar suspension geometry and sway bars, and the main gearing difference seems to be that the UDR has the planetary gear reduction in the axles. Both vehicles look great overall and now I have to decide which one to buy.

Last edited by caleb.cole; 02-08-2018 at 02:29 PM.
caleb.cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Super Baja Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open for Pre-Order - New Losi Super Baja Rey 1/6 4wd Electric Desert Truck RTR! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-30-2018 03:15 PM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM