Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat
Loading

Notices

Thread: Rant Thread

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #181
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,935
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
While I can understand it can be frustrating if the photo gets quoted 10 times in a row, quoting the post with photo shows what you were replying to. I can see both sides of that one. If the photo isn't relevant to your reply, then get rid of it. But if it is...
I will quote one photo at times if I have a question specifically about that photo or if the commenter posted a photo without text. But in a post of 10 photos there is absolutely no need to quote all 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
I can understand that and I try to do the same, but I do forget at times.

Along with this, I'll add: resize your photos to a "normal" size, please. I shouldn't need a horizontal scroll bar to view a photo.
Well that's, technically, against the rules, but we only seem to have one or two active moderators these days...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #182
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 490
Default Re: Rant Thread

I didn't catch the part about 10 photos in the post, sorry Tim.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #183
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: Rant Thread

I made that plea to a new member recently and I did so very nicely but I think I maybe offended him... not sure. But yea... sucks to scroll through a thread with the same pictures over and over... just to see the reply that "That's a cool rig" or to ultimately ask a question where the images didn't even need to be displayed again anyway. Takes only a few extra seconds to delete unnecessary images and makes the thread so much more fluid.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #184
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 148
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I will quote one photo at times if I have a question specifically about that photo or if the commenter posted a photo without text. But in a post of 10 photos there is absolutely no need to quote all 10!



Well that's, technically, against the rules, but we only seem to have one or two active moderators these days...
It isn't that bad here, but I do see it in other forums. One forum I go to actually will auto-resize photos that are too large.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #185
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 365
Default Re: Rant Thread

I installed 2 seperate Craigslist android apps ...got this message while trying to contact seller with an add that was posted 3 days ago.

I tried the same through chrome on my phone and got the same message even after being registered in both cases.

Useless 'reply' tab.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #186
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 148
Default Re: Rant Thread

I was supposed to get hooked up to town gas today. At 8:30am, the contractor called me and said the tech couldn't make it today. Now I have to reschedule for next week. Thankfully, my boss is pretty easy going.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #187
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 3,648
Default Re: Rant Thread

Trying to understand the liberal brain...

Every place liberal rule is in place, homelessness skyrockets, drug use skyrockets, gangs proliferate, gun crimes skyrocket, and the whole mess looks like hell. How can they honestly think their policies are doing anyone any good?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #188
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Frog Lake AB, Canada
Posts: 696
Default Re: Rant Thread

My horses got out last night, so I spent all morning chasing them back into the pasture, the truck started squeaking/grinding after I cut through the family gravel pit, so I zipped off to town picked up an OEM hub bearing assembly, came home, changed out the part, but the squeaking didn’t stop...turns out it’s coming from the passenger side, so I start taking apart the right side only to find the smallest stone wedged between my bake calliper, and rotor...less wedged, rather stuck in some mud crusted onto the rock shield.

On the bright side I’ve changed both of those hubs now...so they match!. I changed the right side a couple months back.

I’m going back to bed!
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #189
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,652
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Trying to understand the liberal brain...
I ran across this the other day, and I think it's important to understand the distinction between "liberal" and "leftist".

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #190
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 3,648
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I ran across this the other day, and I think it's important to understand the distinction between "liberal" and "leftist".

I have seen a couple of articles about this. Antifa and other fascist groups like it, along with the socialist seem to be on the far left. And, it is funny that their name mean "anti-fascism" when they readily employ fascist tactics. Makes me wonder who is really pulling their strings.


...and that is another thing. Socialism has only worked under a dictatorship, or VERY oppressive taxes, why do these loony toons what it?

Last edited by Greatscott; 09-07-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #191
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,652
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I have seen a couple of articles about this. Antifa and other fascist groups like it, along with the socialist seem to be on the far left. And, it is funny that their name mean "anti-fascism" when they readily employ fascist tactics. Makes me wonder who is really pulling their strings.


...and that is another thing. Socialism has only worked under a dictatorship, or VERY oppressive taxes, why do these loony toons what it?
I tend to lean liberal, and haven't been comfortable with the current definition for a while now, because it's not at all accurate. This country was founded on Liberal ideals (freedom, equality, etc etc). Conservatism has it's place too, and I'm not afraid of it. Think of Liberalism like the gas and Conservatism like the brake. We can't go WOT, and we can't stand still. We need both to function properly. FWIW, Conservatives and the "right" are also not always the same thing.

Antifa, like a lot of movements, started with honorable intentions. But because they had no clear goal or structure, it fell to the less desirable, more radical elements of the group. I don't think anybody is pulling their strings, they've just devolved into chaos.

A bit of socialism is ok. There are useful elements to it that can be used to counteract the unfavorable elements of capitalism.

Dictators like socialism because they are control freaks, and it gives them the power and control they crave. To be honest, most of the nations that do so horribly under socialism fail because they were managed by corrupt or inept dictators. There is a reason why dictators rarely stick around for very long...

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 09-07-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #192
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 148
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I tend to lean liberal, and haven't been comfortable with the current definition for a while now, because it's not at all accurate. This country was founded on Liberal ideals (freedom, equality, etc etc). Conservatism has it's place too, and I'm not afraid of it. Think of Liberalism like the gas and Conservatism like the brake. We can't go WOT, and we can't stand still. We need both to function properly. FWIW, Conservatives and the "right" are also not always the same thing.

Antifa, like a lot of movements, started with honorable intentions. But because they had no clear goal or structure, it fell to the less desirable, more radical elements of the group. I don't think anybody is pulling their strings, they've just devolved into chaos.

A bit of socialism is ok. There are useful elements to it that can be used to counteract the unfavorable elements of capitalism.

Dictators like socialism because they are control freaks, and it gives them the power and control they crave. To be honest, most of the nations that do so horribly under socialism fail because they were managed by corrupt or inept dictators. There is a reason why dictators rarely stick around for very long...
The amusing thing is that we already have several forms of socialism in place: roads & infrastructure, police, fire, town landfills or any government agency that provides a public service. Mention socialized medicine, however and everyone starts frothing at the mouth: "OMG!!! I don't want to pay for someone else!!!" Well, you are paying for "someone else" in more ways than you probably realize already. Even in the private insurance system, you are paying for "someone else".
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #193
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 3,648
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
The amusing thing is that we already have several forms of socialism in place: roads & infrastructure, police, fire, town landfills or any government agency that provides a public service. Mention socialized medicine, however and everyone starts frothing at the mouth: "OMG!!! I don't want to pay for someone else!!!" Well, you are paying for "someone else" in more ways than you probably realize already. Even in the private insurance system, you are paying for "someone else".
I think we need social services, but we don't need socialism.

Also, welfare should be like unemployment. The idea going into it is that you get out of it.

New rant...

I hate seeing these stories about veterans who buy a house in a HOA community, then complain about not being able to fly a flag. At the time of service entry, vets made a promise to lay down their lives for their countrymen and their country, to serve honorably, and do the job asked of them. At this same time, the government made a promise to take care of the vet for any service related problem when the vet's service was done. The vet has already kept his promise, the government needs to make good on its promise. BUT... This does not give veterans any special privilege when it comes to contracts that they sign outside the military. If you want to fly your flags, and the HOA for the house you are about to buy does not permit them, DON'T BUY THAT HOUSE!!! Some will say, "Its their right", but you sign that away with the HOA contract. Dunno... maybe I should be more sympathetic, but I made the choice to buy a house that is not covered by a HOA for a reason...

JMHO...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #194
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,652
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I think we need social services, but we don't need socialism.

Also, welfare should be like unemployment. The idea going into it is that you get out of it.
Social programs are working examples of socialism. Socialism itself is not a bad thing. I think where people get confused is when Marxism is unknowingly mixed in. The goal of Marxism is to remove capitalism and replace it with communism. That is a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Dunno... maybe I should be more sympathetic, but I made the choice to buy a house that is not covered by a HOA for a reason...
Instances of special treatment is fine when it's appropriate. Not honoring a contract you willingly signed is not one of those instances.

We canceled a deal and kicked a guy off of our lot a couple of weeks ago because he was being a complete douchebag to everybody. Verbally abusing the sales staff, ignoring our repeated requests to stay out of the shop, demanding unreasonably compensation for a couple of minor inconveniences, etc etc. At some point I heard him yell "I'm a combat veteran, you can't tell me what to do!".

Some people simply have misplaced senses of entitlement.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #195
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,779
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
New rant...

I hate seeing these stories about veterans who buy a house in a HOA community, then complain about not being able to fly a flag. At the time of service entry, vets made a promise to lay down their lives for their countrymen and their country, to serve honorably, and do the job asked of them. At this same time, the government made a promise to take care of the vet for any service related problem when the vet's service was done. The vet has already kept his promise, the government needs to make good on its promise. BUT... This does not give veterans any special privilege when it comes to contracts that they sign outside the military. If you want to fly your flags, and the HOA for the house you are about to buy does not permit them, DON'T BUY THAT HOUSE!!! Some will say, "Its their right", but you sign that away with the HOA contract. Dunno... maybe I should be more sympathetic, but I made the choice to buy a house that is not covered by a HOA for a reason...

JMHO...
I hate HOAs, but they are prominent in Las Vegas/Henderson. It is very hard to find a good neighborhood that is not HOA.

Our HOA is a joke. I trimmed some branches off the tree in our front yard and placed them in our backyard (out of view BEHIND our fence) until I could get them out for bulk trash day. I got a letter dated one day later about tree debris and branches in my yard....I've had another letter for the same reason and seriously could not figure out what tree debris they were even talking about. All the while, my neighbors have TWO old ass piece of shit moving trucks sitting in front of their house or in the driveway, leaking oil and every other type of fluid all over the damn street and they will not do a thing about it.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #196
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 148
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I think we need social services, but we don't need socialism.

Also, welfare should be like unemployment. The idea going into it is that you get out of it.

New rant...

I hate seeing these stories about veterans who buy a house in a HOA community, then complain about not being able to fly a flag. At the time of service entry, vets made a promise to lay down their lives for their countrymen and their country, to serve honorably, and do the job asked of them. At this same time, the government made a promise to take care of the vet for any service related problem when the vet's service was done. The vet has already kept his promise, the government needs to make good on its promise. BUT... This does not give veterans any special privilege when it comes to contracts that they sign outside the military. If you want to fly your flags, and the HOA for the house you are about to buy does not permit them, DON'T BUY THAT HOUSE!!! Some will say, "Its their right", but you sign that away with the HOA contract. Dunno... maybe I should be more sympathetic, but I made the choice to buy a house that is not covered by a HOA for a reason...

JMHO...
I avoid HOAs like the plague. I don't like the idea of paying a mortgage so some pinhead can complain because I got lazy one weekend and decided not to mow my lawn.

Having said that, if you decide to look into a HOA, you should ask all the right questions before you sign an agreement.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #197
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 148
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Social programs are working examples of socialism. Socialism itself is not a bad thing. I think where people get confused is when Marxism is unknowingly mixed in. The goal of Marxism is to remove capitalism and replace it with communism. That is a bad thing.



Instances of special treatment is fine when it's appropriate. Not honoring a contract you willingly signed is not one of those instances.

We canceled a deal and kicked a guy off of our lot a couple of weeks ago because he was being a complete douchebag to everybody. Verbally abusing the sales staff, ignoring our repeated requests to stay out of the shop, demanding unreasonably compensation for a couple of minor inconveniences, etc etc. At some point I heard him yell "I'm a combat veteran, you can't tell me what to do!".

Some people simply have misplaced senses of entitlement.
A friend of mine got his Harley because the previous buyer was being belligerent at the dealership. The manager took his check and paperwork, ripped it up and threw it at the guy and told him to get the **** out. They then called my friend whom was next on their wait list and told him a new bike just became available.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #198
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 3,648
Default Re: Rant Thread

Another Rant... Pro Football...

Even with not agreeing with the flag protest, I still like watching pro football. But, it REALLY bugs me when they call the Superbowl champions "World Champions". It is a league that is played in one country. With this, the championship for MLB is called the "World Series", even though the league only involves two countries. If Mexico had a team in the MLB, then you could call it the "North American" series, but I guess that still is not as grandiose as "World Series".
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #199
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,652
Default Re: Rant Thread

Kinda like being crowned Mr. Universe.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #200
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 148
Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Another Rant... Pro Football...

Even with not agreeing with the flag protest, I still like watching pro football. But, it REALLY bugs me when they call the Superbowl champions "World Champions". It is a league that is played in one country. With this, the championship for MLB is called the "World Series", even though the league only involves two countries. If Mexico had a team in the MLB, then you could call it the "North American" series, but I guess that still is not as grandiose as "World Series".
Yeah, that is kind of silly...

It makes more sense in World Cup soccer, tennis or golf where there is international competition.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Rant Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Nirtorcx/Exceed Rant thread CTRC Chit Chat 3 08-09-2012 07:36 AM
just a little rant spyderwebbcustoms Chit Chat 18 12-12-2010 06:18 PM
Got to RANT 01XJ Chit Chat 26 04-17-2009 08:42 PM
[Rant] I hate Western Digital [/rant] FrankyRizzo Chit Chat 41 05-03-2007 03:29 PM
3:35 AM rant... radishkid Chit Chat 6 08-05-2006 08:30 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com