Notices

Thread: Rant Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #841
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Taco pizza with refried beans and salsa as the sauce with tortilla chips, sour cream, jalapenos, shredded cheese and guacamole is absolutely gawdammed delicious. Don't like it, don't eat it.
Oh common... That's not a pizza, that is a tostada from hell. And yes, absolutely a place were jalapenos belong, and absolutely delicious!

New Rant... I miss San Diego. The best Mexican food up here is Taco Bell.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2020, 06:40 AM   #842
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
"BigSki's mortgage rant"
The day before we were to close on our house, a contractor working for the seller slapped a lien on it because the seller stiffed them. We were in the same boat: had to be out of our rental and had no place to go plus two pre-teen children. Thankfully, the seller was able to get something worked out and we closed. It was pretty scary, anyway.

Quote:
Taco pizza with refried beans and salsa as the sauce with tortilla chips, sour cream, jalapenos, shredded cheese and guacamole is absolutely gawdammed delicious. Don't like it, don't eat it.
Taco pizza minus re-fried beans and sub pico de gallo for salsa (less messy).

This is one of my favorite unconventional pizzas I get from our local place:

SALTIMBOCCA
Roasted garlic cream sauce topped with fresh mozzarella, fontina, roasted chicken, tomatoes, caramelized red onion, prosciutto, torn sage and EVOO.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #843

Taco pizza? Geezus. Ever since I got my gallbladder removed my stomach is ****ed. Normal greasy food sometimes leaves me in pain, but a taco pizza would blow me up!

Anyway, for my rant. I was checking a designer's project and work and told him he was using 304 stainless steel in place of 304L stainless steel. He tried to tell me it's the same thing. I corrected him and told him it's not the same thing and that 304L SS has more corrosion resistance due to it having less carbon. He persisted he was going to use it without consulting the customer. OK you do you, big boy. The project I'm working on also calls out 304L SS so I contacted the customer to see if it was acceptable to substitute 304 SS. They finally got back to me stating 304L SS is required. So to my moronic and miserable coworker, I just want to say "**** you and eat shit!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #844
I wanna be Dave

If you are going to post something like "How do I lower my ride height", and you offer no further information, the responders are going to make a few assumptions and give advise accordingly. It is fracking annoying when the OP comes back with why none of the suggestions will work because of what they are specifically planning on doing with the RC. If you are going to ask for help, give some specifics on what you are going trying to do.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #845
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Taco pizza? Geezus. Ever since I got my gallbladder removed my stomach is ****ed. Normal greasy food sometimes leaves me in pain, but a taco pizza would blow me up!

I had my gallbladder removed 13-14 years ago. I sympathize with you! Every meal is like playing Russian roulette, not to mention the frequent crippling pains in the area where the gallbladder was. I had my appendix rupture, broke my sternum, broke 2 vertebrae in my lumbar, had molten plumbing solder drip into my eyeball, and get frequent kidney stones. All of those are child’s play on the pain scale compared to the night my gallbladder stopped working. Much respect to you
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #846

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
I had my gallbladder removed 13-14 years ago. I sympathize with you! Every meal is like playing Russian roulette, not to mention the frequent crippling pains in the area where the gallbladder was. I had my appendix rupture, broke my sternum, broke 2 vertebrae in my lumbar, had molten plumbing solder drip into my eyeball, and get frequent kidney stones. All of those are child’s play on the pain scale compared to the night my gallbladder stopped working. Much respect to you
So it's not just me! Everybody else I know that has had their gallbladder removed is pretty much fine except with maybe for a few specific foods that they now have to avoid. At this point I don't know what doesn't hurt my stomach.

I also get those phantom pains where my gallbladder should be, but thankfully they aren't crippling.

Having a gallbladder attack/passing gallstones is some of the worst pain I've ever had. Good luck to you!
Old 07-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #847
I wanna be Dave

The last 3 days here in Austin have hit highs of 105, 107, and 105 again.

...why am I bringing this up?

Sunday evening my 3rd floor (top floor) apartment had the AC unit break.

I went ahead and tele-worked through it yesterday, but today and tomorrow am taking the days off while they replace the unit.

OMG it is SO freakin' hot in here...!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #848
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So it's not just me! Everybody else I know that has had their gallbladder removed is pretty much fine except with maybe for a few specific foods that they now have to avoid. At this point I don't know what doesn't hurt my stomach.

I also get those phantom pains where my gallbladder should be, but thankfully they aren't crippling.

Having a gallbladder attack/passing gallstones is some of the worst pain I've ever had. Good luck to you!
My 76 year old dad just had his removed 2 weeks ago. He went from seeming fine to puking due to pain. He has a pretty unreasonably high pain tolerance so I'd have to imagine it's a real bastard to go through. He's happy as could be again, I'm headed to see him in a bit, I'll find out if he's found his trigger foods yet.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #849
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
The last 3 days here in Austin have hit highs of 105, 107, and 105 again.

...why am I bringing this up?

Sunday evening my 3rd floor (top floor) apartment had the AC unit break.

I went ahead and tele-worked through it yesterday, but today and tomorrow am taking the days off while they replace the unit.

OMG it is SO freakin' hot in here...!

Sounds like teh 2nd floor apartment a friend of mine in Michigan has, but he just flat doesn't have A/C and questionable heat! There are a number of times I've received texts from him showing the inside temps aren't far from the outside temps (ie, 93 outside and 90 inside or 40 outside and 50-55 inside), when it's like it's been he and his cats start to to suffer from the excessive heat, even the one that was a stray that he took in!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #850

Quote:
My 76 year old dad just had his removed 2 weeks ago. He went from seeming fine to puking due to pain. He has a pretty unreasonably high pain tolerance so I'd have to imagine it's a real bastard to go through. He's happy as could be again, I'm headed to see him in a bit, I'll find out if he's found his trigger foods yet.

The attacks are brutal! I always thought people were overreacting to the pain and then I had them myself. It’s agonizing torture and I vomited from them once or twice myself. And I also have a high pain tolerance.

The surgery was no joke either even though it’s supposed to be “easy” since it’s all done through a scope. I’d hate to go through it at his age. Hopefully he has no trigger foods. Best of luck to him.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #851
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The attacks are brutal! I always thought people were overreacting to the pain and then I had them myself. It’s agonizing torture and I vomited from them once or twice myself. And I also have a high pain tolerance.

The surgery was no joke either even though it’s supposed to be “easy” since it’s all done through a scope. I’d hate to go through it at his age. Hopefully he has no trigger foods. Best of luck to him.

He had 1 attack of stones and they pulled the gallbladder straight away.

Other than having to switch a few dairy products to non fat he says he's fine. Lucky ol bastid.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #852

Quote:
He had 1 attack of stones and they pulled the gallbladder straight away.

Other than having to switch a few dairy products to non fat he says he's fine. Lucky ol bastid.
Odd. His must have been far gone when he had his first attack or something. I had attacks for years before even getting it checked. I finally surrendered to the pain after about 6 years as the attacks became a monthly event. Hopefully you don't get it. I don't think it's been proven to be genetic, but my mom, dad and some of my aunts have all had theirs removed.

Dairy bloats me like hell now too. But at least that's all he has to deal with. A coworker has no side effects - lucky bastard.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:39 AM   #853
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Odd. His must have been far gone when he had his first attack or something. I had attacks for years before even getting it checked. I finally surrendered to the pain after about 6 years as the attacks became a monthly event. Hopefully you don't get it. I don't think it's been proven to be genetic, but my mom, dad and some of my aunts have all had theirs removed.

Dairy bloats me like hell now too. But at least that's all he has to deal with. A coworker has no side effects - lucky bastard.

He's 76 so they just figured fuggit I guess.

They were going to do it laproscopically but his gallbladder was too far gone because pain tolerance I guess.

I've gotten the best possible genetic traits from each of my parents at this point so I'm not too worried at this point.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #854
I wanna be Dave

Cause and Effect....

I just had an MRI at the local hospital. As I was getting in my truck I noted two people helping a third into an electric scooter, it looked like they had everything under control, so I did not offer any help. Four or five spots over, right behind the car they were getting out of was cross walk access to the hospital, I figured they go that way...

I look both ways, put the truck in reverse, look again, plus checking the back-up camera, all clear. As I start to slowly back out, having moved about two feet I check both directions again, then the camera. Just as I look away form the camera to look back over my shoulder (the one I got the MRI on) I catch something out of the corner of my eye. Instinctively I put my foot on the brakes, and check the camera gain. The woman who had been helped into the scooter was driving her hog right behind my truck. I swung my head around again and could not see her at all. The two people who had helped her were walking behind her, and both were just barely tall enough to see the tops of their heads over the tail gate. All three seemed completely oblivious to the fact that they had damn near gotten hit. Again, I had moved at least two feet, it is a big blue truck, and very hard to miss. She was so close to the back of my truck that I have no earthly clue as to how she missed the hitch with her scooter.

Of course I cannot be sure, but I think I started getting a picture of what necessitated the scooter in the first place.

Last edited by Greatscott; 07-23-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:49 AM   #855
Rock Crawler

I just hate that every time you made a substantial investment, something else pop up and suddenly you are out 2 - 3 X what you expected to be.

Me i got a laptop some weeks ago, and now my dentist took one look at 1 tooth, and want 1000 - 1100 USD to fix it ( root canal )
That pretty much annihilate what ever i have left in my savings account.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #856
I wanna be Dave

Got a couple of new lighting controllers from Hey'OK to try out. They are a new style of controller that allows the lights to come on in sequence. To wire them up I need a few JR plugs, a.k.a., servo plugs. So, I went to my LHS to get some. I was really hoping to get plugs with flying leads, no luck. I talked to the owner and he said that flying-lead JR plugs just don't sell, so he doesn't carry them. I more or less guessed this would be the case, and bought four short extenders (I need eight plugs).

So, what's the rant?
*sigh*

It has been said that the way to make a small pile of money in the hobby shop business is to start with a large pile of money. I get that there are times when you cannot hire top-shelf RC talent, but at least hire people that can spell "RC".

LHS Guy: Can I help you with anything?

Me: Yup, I need some JR connectors, with flying leads, if you have them.

LHS Guy: Huh... I don't think we have any 'JR' connectors...

Me: Sure you do (I am looking at them as we speak). You know, servo connectors... With flying leads if you have them...

LHS Guy: What kind of car do you have? (I cock my head sideways, clearly confused) You know, so you get the right servo for your car...

Me: No, I just need the connectors. If you don't have them with flying leads, then I will take servo extenders with male ends.

LHS Guy: Huh.... (he is on the other side of the counter, and on the peg board behind him are all of the wiring and connectors. Realizing I need some sort of a connector, he turns around).

Me: The servo extenders on the bottom right. (I realize I am pointing, but the LHS guy has his back to me, so he is not seeing where I am pointing to).

LHS Guy: Here you go! (as he tosses a dean's plug with flying leads on the counter)

Me: No, the plugs that are on the bottom right, right behind you. (He turns around, and turns back, this time he tosses up a battering converter plug) Nope, not that either.

The owner just finished with the customer he was with and immediately came over and asked if he could help, and gets me what I need.

I know people have to start somewhere, but if you are working in a computer shop, learn the basics of computers. If you are working behind the counter of a bakery, learn what the different items are. You don't have to be an expert, but at least have the basic parts and pieces down. Of course, I say this working with someone that has her EE degree, and does not understand basic theory. The common thread... Both Millennials.

Of course, working in a RC-dedicated hobby shop sounds cool, but I don't think I could do it. The shop was really busy, and I had to wait for someone to get freed up to get my parts from behind the counter. While I waited a customer was talking to the owner about his RC, and truly had no earthly clue as to what was going on with it, other than it didn't work. As the guy was describing his troubles, I became away that this person should not own anything more complicated that a small wooden toy truck, and only one that didn't have wheels that move.

Last edited by Greatscott; 07-26-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #857
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Cause and Effect....

I just had an MRI at the local hospital. As I was getting in my truck I noted two people helping a third into an electric scooter, it looked like they had everything under control, so I did not offer any help. Four or five spots over, right behind the car they were getting out of was cross walk access to the hospital, I figured they go that way...

I look both ways, put the truck in reverse, look again, plus checking the back-up camera, all clear. As I start to slowly back out, having moved about two feet I check both directions again, then the camera. Just as I look away form the camera to look back over my shoulder (the one I got the MRI on) I catch something out of the corner of my eye. Instinctively I put my foot on the brakes, and check the camera gain. The woman who had been helped into the scooter was driving her hog right behind my truck. I swung my head around again and could not see her at all. The two people who had helped her were walking behind her, and both were just barely tall enough to see the tops of their heads over the tail gate. All three seemed completely oblivious to the fact that they had damn near gotten hit. Again, I had moved at least two feet, it is a big blue truck, and very hard to miss. She was so close to the back of my truck that I have no earthly clue as to how she missed the hitch with her scooter.

Of course I cannot be sure, but I think I started getting a picture of what necessitated the scooter in the first place.
I get it...

If I had a dollar for every time I was 3-4 feet out of a parking space and some dumb-ass decided to walk behind me... Grrr... Or worse, some impatient turd in a car decides that waiting 1 minute for me to finish getting out of a space is too much of a burden on their precious time and goes dashing around me while I'm backing out.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #858
I wanna be Dave

Time for another USPS rant...

What is it with New Jersey? I live in PA... it's exactly a 2 hr 12 minute drive to the Ebay hobby shop where I placed my order. Goes out "first class"

Last order started in Ramsey NJ, went to Teterboro NJ, then Lancaster PA (40 minutes away, USPS hub) as it should, then went to CT for some reason. Then NY for a day. Then flew over my house down to MD. Then back to Lancaster where it sat for 2 days, then my local PO, then here. Took 6 days (!)

Latest order was accepted by the Ramsey NJ Post office 3 days ago. Sat there, then it went to Teterboro, NJ. Back to Ramsey, then back to Teterboro where it now sits.

I have another item on the way from a different store in NJ (Mahwah, NJ). Accepted by the PO 2 days ago where it hasn't moved since.

I'm a patient guy...but I can't help but marvel at the utter inefficiency of the USPS.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #859
I wanna be Dave

OH, and one more rant for the day.

I live diagonal from a gas station/convenience store. Comes in handy, that's for sure. Anyway, I'm out mowing my grass and I notice a newer Nissan sitting right on the white line along the road in the middle of the gas station parking lot with it's doors open and the hood up. I didn't think much of it, but kept an eye on it. After a few passes with the tractor, I notice an older couple sitting in the car, and the hood is still up. In a really bad spot too, people are whipping around them doing 60 in a 35 as usual. Being neighborly and somewhat knowledgeable about cars I shut off the mower, played frogger with traffic and walked over to see if I could help..at least move the car so they wouldn't be right on the road and in the way of gas station traffic.

Turns out it was a senior couple and the throttle was stuck wide open. They shut the car down after a bit of a wild ride and coasted to a stop and were afraid to try and move it. They had called AAA, but who knows how long they'll be. Making a long story short, we didn't try to move the car - the transmission wouldn't go into N without the engine running, and he didn't want to chance it. I offered to get some tools and disconnect the battery hoping it would reset the car's computer and maybe help, but he didn't want to drive it at all - he was too worried about the throttle. So I offered for them to come over and sit in my living room....it was 100 or so out - not great weather for seniors. The AC was on at home, they could see their car from the living room, and watch for the AAA guy. They politely declined not wanted to impose, so I left the invitation open for them and decided to go back to mowing.

As I was leaving, the husband got out of the car and put out his hand. I asked was he sure he wanted to shake hands given the current state of affairs, and he said absolutely - it was earned and thank you. About 100 cars had whipped around them in the past 45 minutes, bypassed them or beeped and not one single person stopped and asked if they needed help.

Not one.

When did this happen? This is only the most recent event, but I have a few more similar stories since I'm that guy that always stops. I was raised to believe you help people if you can, and it seems that we've really lost that along the way somewhere. Right around the time cell phones came into popularity I reckon. Or maybe it's just life in the northeast, IDK.

/end rant/
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #860
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

When did this happen? This is only the most recent event, but I have a few more similar stories since I'm that guy that always stops. I was raised to believe you help people if you can, and it seems that we've really lost that along the way somewhere. Right around the time cell phones came into popularity I reckon. Or maybe it's just life in the northeast, IDK.

/end rant/
Don't come to Texas lol. But yep... I'm like you. I've always gone out of my way to help others and as I've gotten older, I've become even more aware of elderly folks that appear to possibly need assistance. With cell-phones, the internet, and social media... we've become a nation of self-absorbed, morons with little to no regard for others and completely desensitized to just about everything. Good on you for being who you are and maintaining integrity and concern for others.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rant Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Nirtorcx/Exceed Rant thread CTRC Chit Chat 3 08-09-2012 07:36 AM
just a little rant spyderwebbcustoms Chit Chat 18 12-12-2010 06:18 PM
Got to RANT 01XJ Chit Chat 26 04-17-2009 08:42 PM
[Rant] I hate Western Digital [/rant] FrankyRizzo Chit Chat 41 05-03-2007 03:29 PM
3:35 AM rant... radishkid Chit Chat 6 08-05-2006 08:30 AM