Notices

Thread: Rant Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2022, 03:00 PM   #1341
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Because in the garage under my jeep, my wife isn't wrapped around me like a heat lamp trying to keep that last hot-dog alive on the rollers at 7-11. And because there's just something about that cool concrete. If I had a comfortable creeper, I'd need an alarm clock out there.
I can relate, my wife and my sleeping preferences are diametrically opposed. I like a nice cool beg, and sleep like a rock if I can stay cool; my wife wants the bed warm enough to boil water.

I almost fell asleep while working on one of the quads. Laying there on the concrete, with just a packing blanket under me, watching the oil go into the bucket. When my head hit the concrete, I woke up...

On board subs, a lot of people bitch about sleeping in the torpedo room (temporary berthing when the regular racks are taken by people more important than you). Surrounded by all of that cool steel, I slept like a rock. Even better when bookended by a couple of torpedoes, those are nice and cool too, and blocks a lot noise.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2022, 10:57 AM   #1342
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Ooof, this hurts me to read. You've NEVER serviced it? That's nuts. When I was into supermotos, it was an oil change and a set of tires every 800-1200 miles.
you change tires too damb

i had a sit down with my quad i sead your old enuff if you want new parts you can get a job im tired of supporting your lazy seat
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #1343
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I fully realize it's me getting to be an old goat, but reading "bruh" (all OVER the freakin' interwebs) really makes me want to smack somebody.

Not a big fan of "bud", and not particularly of "brother", but it seems to depend on the context, or if it's face-to-face, on the tone and the person saying it to me.

Hell, even "man" can come off wrong if there's attitude.

That said, I'm hardly speaking to anyone these days!

Teleworking, no social life - that'll do it...

Pretty soon I'll have to move to a shack in the woods!

Oh crap... I say "brother" to you all the time lol! Oh well... No disrespect intended at all. You were one of the first guys on this forum that made me feel welcome here and you offered up some great help when I was struggling with newbie stuff. Plus I guess that I feel a kind of camaraderie with other guys on a niche hobby forum... like there's not many of us left lol. Okay... "sister" it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I can relate, my wife and my sleeping preferences are diametrically opposed. I like a nice cool beg, and sleep like a rock if I can stay cool; my wife wants the bed warm enough to boil water.

I almost fell asleep while working on one of the quads. Laying there on the concrete, with just a packing blanket under me, watching the oil go into the bucket. When my head hit the concrete, I woke up...

On board subs, a lot of people bitch about sleeping in the torpedo room (temporary berthing when the regular racks are taken by people more important than you). Surrounded by all of that cool steel, I slept like a rock. Even better when bookended by a couple of torpedoes, those are nice and cool too, and blocks a lot noise.
I mean... if you add in the slow thick drip of oil into a catch-pan... that's like throwing in some ambient white noise... sleep comes even quicker lol.

Regarding sleeping on a submarine, I think my claustrophobia would deny me that experience pretty quick lol.

And I love my wife but she knows I'm not a cuddler, or a snuggler, or whatever you wanna call it. I don't mind putting my arm around her as she drifts off to sleep but that's as far as it goes. Sleep to me is like going to the bathroom... If I need help with it, you better call 911. Otherwise it's a one man job. Sometimes I even wake up with her face two inches from mine and I'm like "Uh... little space here please" On days that she goes to work early and I don't have to be up, I make the most of it. As soon as I hear that front door close, I sprawl out!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #1344
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Oh crap... I say "brother" to you all the time lol! Oh well... No disrespect intended at all. You were one of the first guys on this forum that made me feel welcome here and you offered up some great help when I was struggling with newbie stuff. Plus I guess that I feel a kind of camaraderie with other guys on a niche hobby forum... like there's not many of us left lol. Okay... "sister" it is!

You slay me...

Nah, I've never been offended by you saying it.

It's more when people are arguing and someone calls me brother...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:34 PM   #1345
I wanna be Dave

So my ATV saga continues... Chapter 174: Battery

I went to start the wife's ATV Saturday, and I get "click", click", "click", click", "click", click", "click", click" from the starter. After about 20 minutes, and a beer, I finally figure out how to get the battery out (had another beer afterwards). Throwing a multimeter on the battery, it has a sitting charge of 12.1VDC, which is low. I hit the starter and the battery goes to about 7VDC under load.... This was at about 5pm, and there is no way I am getting getting to the Honda dealer in 30 minutes. Of course, Honda is closed on Sundays and Mondays, welcome to Norther Idaho. I go to the parts store on Sunday, get a battery that is close, but no bueno, the positive lead just will not comply enough to work, so I took the battery back Monday. The wife works kind of near the Honda dealer, and it is, after all, her ATV, so I send her to get the battery after work.

So, I have the battery box... In the box there is the battery core, instructions, and the battery electrolyte in mixing tubes that get poured into the batter... What the fornication...? It can't just be a battery that gets dropped in? They have to give me a Professor Proton battery kit? Is this normal for an ATV battery? Honestly, this is the first one I have need to change, so we are in virgin territory here...

More and more these two ATVs are begging to be traded in on a CanAm Commander...
Old 05-31-2022, 10:13 PM   #1346
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So my ATV saga continues... Chapter 174: Battery

I went to start the wife's ATV Saturday, and I get "click", click", "click", click", "click", click", "click", click" from the starter. After about 20 minutes, and a beer, I finally figure out how to get the battery out (had another beer afterwards). Throwing a multimeter on the battery, it has a sitting charge of 12.1VDC, which is low. I hit the starter and the battery goes to about 7VDC under load.... This was at about 5pm, and there is no way I am getting getting to the Honda dealer in 30 minutes. Of course, Honda is closed on Sundays and Mondays, welcome to Norther Idaho. I go to the parts store on Sunday, get a battery that is close, but no bueno, the positive lead just will not comply enough to work, so I took the battery back Monday. The wife works kind of near the Honda dealer, and it is, after all, her ATV, so I send her to get the battery after work.

So, I have the battery box... In the box there is the battery core, instructions, and the battery electrolyte in mixing tubes that get poured into the batter... What the fornication...? It can't just be a battery that gets dropped in? They have to give me a Professor Proton battery kit? Is this normal for an ATV battery? Honestly, this is the first one I have need to change, so we are in virgin territory here...

More and more these two ATVs are begging to be traded in on a CanAm Commander...
all the motorcycle batterys ive ever bought came like that those batterys usualy go bad so fast they cant leave them on the shelf with acid in them
Old 06-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #1347
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
all the motorcycle batterys ive ever bought came like that those batterys usualy go bad so fast they cant leave them on the shelf with acid in them
Looks like it. I did a bit of research after my rant and it looks like this is a common thing, But, it doesn't make the process any less annoying.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:27 AM   #1348
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Looks like it. I did a bit of research after my rant and it looks like this is a common thing, But, it doesn't make the process any less annoying.
the trick way to go is to convert to capacitors

another option is nimh batterys ive also even seen people using 18650 batterys

the capasitor charges really fast and holds a charge for a fewdays

the nimh well im sure you know and li-ions are basicly the same as rc car batterys but you need the pc board set up so they dont over charge or under discharge

i think you can buy premade cap packs and li-ion packs for motorcycles so its not a diy item

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19381248605...mis&media=COPY

this is the first one i saw there are more im just posting to give you the idea of what im talking about
Old 06-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #1349
RCC Addict

I've got AntiGravity LifePo4 batteries in 2 of my bikes and one is 10 years old! Decent ones cost 2-3 times as much as a pb battery, but they last 2-3x as long while working better the entire time, with zero maintenance... just think about it with your rc's, would you ever recommend a wet lead/acid battery to anyone? They (wet cell batteries) don't tolerate the shock/vibration of offroad vehicles very well either so I would at minimum use an AGM battery, if you routinely need to start in below freezing temps, I might even suggest AGM over lithium.

Lithium batteries for bikes are nothing more than a 4s Life battery in a standard motorcycle sized case, so you could just make your own. Antigravity generally offers stock replacement, or higher ah (in the same case size), my 10 year old one is (I think) 12ah that replaced a 7ah factory AGM. You'd think it'd be more common, but EarthX batteries are the only ones I know of that actually have a balance plug.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:08 AM   #1350
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I've got AntiGravity LifePo4 batteries in 2 of my bikes and one is 10 years old! Decent ones cost 2-3 times as much as a pb battery, but they last 2-3x as long while working better the entire time, with zero maintenance... just think about it with your rc's, would you ever recommend a wet lead/acid battery to anyone? They (wet cell batteries) don't tolerate the shock/vibration of offroad vehicles very well either so I would at minimum use an AGM battery, if you routinely need to start in below freezing temps, I might even suggest AGM over lithium.

Lithium batteries for bikes are nothing more than a 4s Life battery in a standard motorcycle sized case, so you could just make your own. Antigravity generally offers stock replacement, or higher ah (in the same case size), my 10 year old one is (I think) 12ah that replaced a 7ah factory AGM. You'd think it'd be more common, but EarthX batteries are the only ones I know of that actually have a balance plug.
Sounds like they are a solid return on investment, I will have to check them out.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #1351
I wanna be Dave

First world problem rant...

Why, for the love of peanut butter and jelly, aren't mayo and mustard packets the same size? Why does it take three mustard packets to equal one mayo packet?
Old 06-03-2022, 07:57 PM   #1352
RCC Addict

Quote:
First world problem rant...

Why, for the love of peanut butter and jelly, aren't mayo and mustard packets the same size? Why does it take three mustard packets to equal one mayo packet?
Never really thought about it but dammit you're right! Your rant made me remember one time that I mentioned on some forum that yellow mustard was the perfect compliment to certain foods and the gourmet mustard-heads went nuts... "EEEEWWW... Yellow mustard?!?!". I like pretty much all mustard varieties... Dijon, horseradish, honey, dark brown, etc.. but sometimes straight-up yellow is perfect. The whole "Mayonnaise vs Miracle Whip" thing really gets some people fired up too lol.

Similar condiment rant- Few weeks ago I was in a convenience store that offers some of the best chicken skewers and fried catfish I've ever had. I went ahead and got two catfish fillets and at the register, I requested ( as usual) four tartar-sauce packets. She said "Oh, we not have today!" I was devastated lol! I wound up buying a bottle of Kraft tartar-sauce that they had for sale on the shelf but it was almost five dollars!!! I was so ticked off that the next day I bought some frozen fish fillets at the grocery just so I could use up the rest of the overpriced bottle lol.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #1353
Pebble Pounder

Wife got into an accident a couple of months ago. It was the other driver's fault. We filed through our insurance and they claimed against the other person's insurance. Other person's insurance accepts full liability. Pick up vehicle last Tuesday and have to pay $500 deductible. I ask my insurance company when I get my $500 back, as the other person was at fault and his insurance company assumed responsibility. They tell me "You get refunded when we get paid by the other company". Wtf??? They know they are going to get paid. There is no dispute over responsibility. Why the hell is my money being held hostage?!?!?!
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #1354
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Wife got into an accident a couple of months ago. It was the other driver's fault. We filed through our insurance and they claimed against the other person's insurance. Other person's insurance accepts full liability. Pick up vehicle last Tuesday and have to pay $500 deductible. I ask my insurance company when I get my $500 back, as the other person was at fault and his insurance company assumed responsibility. They tell me "You get refunded when we get paid by the other company". Wtf??? They know they are going to get paid. There is no dispute over responsibility. Why the hell is my money being held hostage?!?!?!
you should have filed the claim with there insurance company then they would have to cover everything but going though your insurance you have to pay

it could take years for your insurance to colect that money
Old 06-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #1355
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
you should have filed the claim with there insurance company then they would have to cover everything but going though your insurance you have to pay

it could take years for your insurance to colect that money
It was better to go through my own company for a multitude of reasons, the main one being that my insurance company uses one of the better body shops in the area.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #1356
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It was better to go through my own company for a multitude of reasons, the main one being that my insurance company uses one of the better body shops in the area.
the insurance company dosent really have a choice what body shop you take it too you can fix it.your self and they will pay for it

been there done that

i was just saying thats why you had to pay the deductable

Last edited by ferp420; 06-08-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #1357
Pebble Pounder

Update on my previous rant...

I called my insurance company to ask what the status of my claim is. I also explained that I could really use the $500 back in my bank account. The agent looked at my file and then asked me to hold. She comes back and says:

"After looking at your file, and seeing that we have an agreement in principle with the other insurance company and are only sorting out minor details, I have been authorized to release your deductible."

I got an e-check within 40 minutes.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:42 AM   #1358
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
the insurance company dosent really have a choice what body shop you take it too you can fix it.your self and they will pay for it

been there done that
I realize that. It was just fortunate that one of their DRP shops was actually one of the better ones in the area. They used all Toyota parts in the repair, as well.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #1359
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I realize that. It was just fortunate that one of their DRP shops was actually one of the better ones in the area. They used all Toyota parts in the repair, as well.
right on glad everything worked out
Old 06-08-2022, 10:53 AM   #1360
RCC Addict

Quote:
Update on my previous rant...

I called my insurance company to ask what the status of my claim is. I also explained that I could really use the $500 back in my bank account. The agent looked at my file and then asked me to hold. She comes back and says:

"After looking at your file, and seeing that we have an agreement in principle with the other insurance company and are only sorting out minor details, I have been authorized to release your deductible."

I got an e-check within 40 minutes.

Glad you got your money back. That's a lot to be out of pocket. And as I always emphasize to my wife... you have to lean on companies to get them to follow through on their obligations or responsibilities. They're not going to look out for your interests.

Rant Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Nirtorcx/Exceed Rant thread CTRC Chit Chat 3 08-09-2012 07:36 AM
just a little rant spyderwebbcustoms Chit Chat 18 12-12-2010 06:18 PM
Got to RANT 01XJ Chit Chat 26 04-17-2009 08:42 PM
[Rant] I hate Western Digital [/rant] FrankyRizzo Chit Chat 41 05-03-2007 03:29 PM
3:35 AM rant... radishkid Chit Chat 6 08-05-2006 08:30 AM