Notices

Thread: Rant Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #1321
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rant Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
@ ferp420- Hey, man. Just wanted to thank you for your advice. I went online and bought a couple spout-kits ( wasn't sure what would work best). Sent one back and kept the other one that had exactly what I needed for two cans. Used the original cap along with new spout and modded the can for the new vent. Perfect! And since it came with two, I've got another one to use for another can down the road.

Thanks again... Great suggestion.
every once and a while i have a good idea lol

ive been through several of those spout kits the ones ive used dont last to long when used alot but still lasts 10 times longer than the original spout

just a note the original spot with the vent kit and the aftermarket screwdown cap part works really good to
personaly i dont mind the spouts but the hold down cap keeps cracking on me after just a few uses thata why i went to aftemarket spouts

Last edited by ferp420; 05-04-2022 at 01:23 PM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #1322
RCC Addict

Im using the threaded retaining cap that came with the can because the one in the kit was too tall and didn't allow me to tighten it down all the way. but i threw out the #%@&!ng safety spout that was giving me so much hassle. It's cool that the kit that I got came with a couple vents too... since the original spout was also the vent... dumb. Just had to drill out the can for the new vent and done... even came with a nice sharp bit to drill-out for the new vent. And all fpor about $12. So yeah... it's been a breeze filling up the lawnmower now and I've got everything that I need to do another can if I need to.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:29 PM   #1323
I wanna be Dave

Dogs in grocery stores... (legitimate service dogs not included)

I consider myself a dog-person, I have two of them. I have a 12lbs ankle-biter that we received when the mother-in-law passed last year; she is ok, but has a lot of the little-dog traits I am not crazy about. Then there is the 150lbs crazy fur ball, she is a rescue as well, and has some quirks, but a kick to have in the family. We take them for rides whenever possible, and take then into some of the stores we visit. Pet Co is one, of course, but I also take them into Home Depot and the farm stores we frequent, dogs are normally welcome in these places.

With that, one place we don't take them, ever, is the grocery store. I can think of a dozen reasons without trying of why dogs should not be in a grocery store; and it would seem to me, at least, that not bringing a dog into a grocery store, except legitimate service dogs, of course, should just be common sense. But, two things I am seeing more and more of are dogs in grocery stores, and more signs telling people not to bring their dogs in. One of my key bitches here is little Fido sitting in the cart, with his ass rubbing against the same places I am about to place my food, given that I get that cart right after Fido's master is done with it.

Yes, I wipe down carts before I use them. This is a habit I picked up a couple of years before the WuFlu hit. There was a multi-university study that found up to 70% of the carts they tested had fecal on them, particularly on the handles and the child seat area. But, I feel that I now have to take more time to wipe things down knowing there is a high probability that dog-ass has been in the cart...

Different Rant...
I am pretty good at what I do, but what I do is not being a mechanic. I can work on things, I just do not enjoy it, and prefer to leave things like oil changes to people who get paid to do it. But, there is a place where the rubber meets my packet book, and that is when it will costs me $350 a pop to get both of my ATVs serviced (ultimate first world problem here). The supplies to do the job myself ran about $120, so away I go...

Working on the first ATV today, and other than both used and fresh oil going everywhere, the job is getting done; the air filter cleaned and the plug replaced as well, I am full service. The whole thing isn't that difficult, just taking my time doing it. I got the back diff oil changed, it needed it, and went to the front. As soon as I cracked the drain plug I knew it was a mistake, the oil came out a clear emerald green. I was VERY impressed given the diff had not been serviced for five years. I walked away for about 30 minutes, came back, no more oil coming out, so I put the drain plug in, getting it hand-snug, then I hit it with the torque wrench, just like I did the back, 9ft-lbs. Too my horror, the bolt just spins with no hit of it hitting bottom. At first I thought I had set the wrench wrong, but no, it was set right. I tested it on an armor bolt, and it snapped about where I thought it should. I took the drain bolt out and sure as shit, threads from the case are in the teeth of the bolt... So, now I have to figure out how I am going to fix this, I am thinking a botting tap taking the bolt hole up a thread or two.

I am 100% sure I did not strip this out, and reasonably sure it was the Honda shop where I had its first service for free...

Related rant... I put the bolt back in, hand tight, for now, and filled it up with oil. Who ever is responsible for the front diff case's design needs to be kicked in the junk 47 times. Filling that thing is a very unfun pain in the butt.

End rant...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #1324
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

I consider myself a dog-person, I have two of them. I have a 12lbs ankle-biter that we received when the mother-in-law passed last year; she is ok, but has a lot of the little-dog traits I am not crazy about. Then there is the 150lbs crazy fur ball, she is a rescue as well, and has some quirks, but a kick to have in the family. We take them for rides whenever possible, and take then into some of the stores we visit. Pet Co is one, of course, but I also take them into Home Depot and the farm stores we frequent, dogs are normally welcome in these places.

With that, one place we don't take them, ever, is the grocery store. I can think of a dozen reasons without trying of why dogs should not be in a grocery store; and it would seem to me, at least, that not bringing a dog into a grocery store, except legitimate service dogs, of course, should just be common sense. But, two things I am seeing more and more of are dogs in grocery stores, and more signs telling people not to bring their dogs in. One of my key bitches here is little Fido sitting in the cart, with his ass rubbing against the same places I am about to place my food, given that I get that cart right after Fido's master is done with it.

Yes, I wipe down carts before I use them. This is a habit I picked up a couple of years before the WuFlu hit. There was a multi-university study that found up to 70% of the carts they tested had fecal on them, particularly on the handles and the child seat area. But, I feel that I now have to take more time to wipe things down knowing there is a high probability that dog-ass has been in the cart...

Different Rant...
I am pretty good at what I do, but what I do is not being a mechanic. I can work on things, I just do not enjoy it, and prefer to leave things like oil changes to people who get paid to do it. But, there is a place where the rubber meets my packet book, and that is when it will costs me $350 a pop to get both of my ATVs serviced (ultimate first world problem here). The supplies to do the job myself ran about $120, so away I go...

Working on the first ATV today, and other than both used and fresh oil going everywhere, the job is getting done; the air filter cleaned and the plug replaced as well, I am full service. The whole thing isn't that difficult, just taking my time doing it. I got the back diff oil changed, it needed it, and went to the front. As soon as I cracked the drain plug I knew it was a mistake, the oil came out a clear emerald green. I was VERY impressed given the diff had not been serviced for five years. I walked away for about 30 minutes, came back, no more oil coming out, so I put the drain plug in, getting it hand-snug, then I hit it with the torque wrench, just like I did the back, 9ft-lbs. Too my horror, the bolt just spins with no hit of it hitting bottom. At first I thought I had set the wrench wrong, but no, it was set right. I tested it on an armor bolt, and it snapped about where I thought it should. I took the drain bolt out and sure as shit, threads from the case are in the teeth of the bolt... So, now I have to figure out how I am going to fix this, I am thinking a botting tap taking the bolt hole up a thread or two.

I am 100% sure I did not strip this out, and reasonably sure it was the Honda shop where I had its first service for free...

Related rant... I put the bolt back in, hand tight, for now, and filled it up with oil. Who ever is responsible for the front diff case's design needs to be kicked in the junk 47 times. Filling that thing is a very unfun pain in the butt.

End rant...
huh ive never seviced my atv maybe i should its almost 20 years old and its been underwater more times than i can count while i was riding it then the kid rode it for years than it sat and now im wondering why the chain is loose and its poping out of gear
still starts up and runs like not bad for a 2002 2stroke
Old 05-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #1325
RCC Addict

Quote:

I saw a similar study that also outlined the fecal/ urine content of the child seat area... including the safety straps... ugh. I won't even put anything in that area of the basket these days. Fortunately my HEB grocery has carts with a little front section where I put veggies and meats and things like that. I 100% sympathize with this rant.

The dog thing too... Christ. I feel like Walmart is the one that got this ball rolling but I dunno. Here where I live, the whole "service dog" thing became a contentious topic due to a privacy issue. Door greeters and other employees were prohibited from asking someone about the animal's support responsibility due to any query infringing upon the privacy rights of the individual... which I completely understand.

But what it did was open up a door for a ton of lying pieces of garbage who decided that since the subject was pretty much 'not open for discussion' that they could simply start bringing in all kinds of dogs... sometimes on a leash and harness ( with the fake badges that they bought on Amazon) but more typically just being carried in the person's arms or put into the shopping cart.

I agree completely that it's out of control and as much as I love to see and interact with dogs at PetCo, Home Depot, Lowes, TSC, and Harbor Freight... I do not want to see some sickly terrier with eye boogers and butt crunchies yipping and yapping in a basket next to me where I'm buying my meat, produce, etc.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #1326
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
huh ive never seviced my atv maybe i should its almost 20 years old and its been underwater more times than i can count while i was riding it then the kid rode it for years than it sat and now im wondering why the chain is loose and its poping out of gear
Ooof, this hurts me to read. You've NEVER serviced it? That's nuts. When I was into supermotos, it was an oil change and a set of tires every 800-1200 miles.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #1327
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sounds like you likely need more than an oil change.

That is my other gripe. I had to take a panel or two off to get proper access, but I had to take the entire tank shroud off to get to the spark-plug. Seems like they could have made an access panel for that.

Quote:
I do not want to see some sickly terrier with eye boogers and butt crunchies yipping and yapping in a basket next to me where I'm buying my meat, produce, etc.
A perfect way to sum up my rant, perfectly said!
Old 05-11-2022, 10:54 PM   #1328
RCC Addict

Quote:

I'm going to extend your rant to include everyone who treats their pets like children. Pets are not children, and if not having children is burning a hole in your heart, you should do something about it. If you can't have children, adopt one. If you don't trust yourself to raise children, move close to a sibling with children and be their cool aunt/uncle. If you don't have any siblings with children, go host a storytime circle for kids at the library or something. Don't waste your energy doting on a pet who won't be able to take care of you when you're old and will never contribute anything to society.

- - -

Regarding ATVs, I've never had a place to ride one, but I've always wanted one. Every now and then I go window-shopping online. Holy crap they've gotten expensive; they cost anywhere from $6000 to $10000 nowadays! That's used-car money!

Last edited by fyrstormer; 05-11-2022 at 11:01 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:10 AM   #1329
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I'm going to extend your rant to include everyone who treats their pets like children. Pets are not children, and if not having children is burning a hole in your heart, you should do something about it. If you can't have children, adopt one. If you don't trust yourself to raise children, move close to a sibling with children and be their cool aunt/uncle. If you don't have any siblings with children, go host a storytime circle for kids at the library or something. Don't waste your energy doting on a pet who won't be able to take care of you when you're old and will never contribute anything to society.
I understand your point of view here, but respectfully disagree.
- - -
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Regarding ATVs, I've never had a place to ride one, but I've always wanted one. Every now and then I go window-shopping online. Holy crap they've gotten expensive; they cost anywhere from $6000 to $10000 nowadays! That's used-car money!
Most certainly a luxury item, for the most part. The wife's ATV is just that, a toy, something to go have fun on. While I do have a lot of fun on my ATV, it is my primary method of moving snow, do it spends most of its run time in winter working.

At bit of a rant here... It is not uncommon to see $30-$40k machines bouncing down the trails, and you wonder what in the hell these people do for a living that allows for that expensive of a luxury item. And, when you see one of these machines being unloaded, you can pretty much assume they are a giant douche; which is proven when they immediately crank up their sound system and start ripping through the woods with little regard for anyone or thing.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #1330
I wanna be Dave

i just got some new parts for my car and once again got a defective part out of the box
the new cv axle i bought was ungreesed and has parts loose inside the boot i dont know if its saveable or not
if this was the first time i wouldent be so pissed off but it seems 1.in 10 cv axles is good and out of the last10 parts ive bought they were ether the wrong part or defective out of the box just ac hoses i ordered 4 different hoses all say the fit my car gave them the vin and still got the wrong parts i got the wrong clutch fork even though it was listed for my car
why cant these parts manufactureres inspect the parts before they go out
i got so pissed one time i tore open a cv axle at the parts counter to show the manager they were trying to sell me a defective part i was so pissed and they had to order a new axle that was #3 or #1 depending on how you look at it cause i had already refused that axle once already and the guy is trying to tell me it was fine
they wont try that again atleast at that store not only did i chase the customers out i made a mess of there counter and then layed in to corprate office
the axle was under warrenty or i would have went somewere else i sure as hell wasent gona pay for another axle after already paying for a life time warrenty on that part

tear down video https://youtu.be/fRBbbImW2uE

Last edited by ferp420; 05-22-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:42 PM   #1331
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i just got some new parts for my car and once again got a defective part out of the box
the new cv axle i bought was ungreesed and has parts loose inside the boot i dont know if its saveable or not
if this was the first time i wouldent be so pissed off but it seems 1.in 10 cv axles is good and out of the last10 parts ive bought they were ether the wrong part or defective out of the box just ac hoses i ordered 4 different hoses all say the fit my car gave them the vin and still got the wrong parts i got the wrong clutch fork even though it was listed for my car
why cant these parts manufactureres inspect the parts before they go out
i got so pissed one time i tore open a cv axle at the parts counter to show the manager they were trying to sell me a defective part i was so pissed and they had to order a new axle that was #3 or #1 depending on how you look at it cause i had already refused that axle once already and the guy is trying to tell me it was fine
they wont try that again atleast at that store not only did i chase the customers out i made a mess of there counter and then layed in to corprate office
the axle was under warrenty or i would have went somewere else i sure as hell wasent gona pay for another axle after already paying for a life time warrenty on that part

tear down video https://youtu.be/fRBbbImW2uE
THIS... this right here, and my experience with my quad oil changes is why I hate working on larger scale mechanical crap. Something will always not go right, its a given, its par for the course. Some people can just roll with it, but I find this fact unacceptable, annoying, and a needless aggravation in my life. I REALLY want to work on my own stuff, but no matter how much homework I put into the project, not matter how much I prep, something always goes south.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:18 AM   #1332
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
THIS... this right here, and my experience with my quad oil changes is why I hate working on larger scale mechanical crap. Something will always not go right, its a given, its par for the course. Some people can just roll with it, but I find this fact unacceptable, annoying, and a needless aggravation in my life. I REALLY want to work on my own stuff, but no matter how much homework I put into the project, not matter how much I prep, something always goes south.
like with your quad shops screw up too and not all shops are as good as your honda dealler

atleast when i screw up im the only one who gets yelled at lol

i hate argueing with shop owners and have to tell them there stupid and dont know what there talking about

then theres the we cant let it out of the shop unless you have some stupid work we think needs to be done for your safty crap

you know they hate it when you grab there tools and start fixing your car on there lift with there tools while yelling at the top of your lungs how lame they are

then the one time my exwife took her mini van in to have the clutch done at a vary reputable shop and had to have the van towed home cause the shop couldent figure it out they left the trans in the back of the van and all the bolts on the floor and the motor tied up with a rope
that was fun

or when you just finnish putting new tie rod boots on the steering rack and take the rig in for alignment and they use a monkey wrench over the boot tearing it to shreds then come to us and say we need new tie rods cause the boots were bad and they cant let the car out with bad tie rods then tell them they were new the day before and they tore the boots them selfs and if the boots were torn then they needed to replace them

3 days later that shop shut down and get this the owner sead they couldent find anyone who could run the shop they did fix the tie rods at a different shop though

my favorite though was the we cant change your oil cause we dont know what a 12 point socket is

yay jiffy lube

if you dont have a really good place you trust to take your junk to your better off doing the work your self

Last edited by ferp420; 05-23-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:02 PM   #1333
Rock Crawler

"Bud" is a condescending way to refer to someone. It's a word I'd use while talking to a child, or making fun of an apprentice ****ing up at work. I don't let it ruin my day, because clearly some people aren't using it that way... But I see it constantly, and I find it annoying. [/rant]
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #1334
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
"Bud" is a condescending way to refer to someone. It's a word I'd use while talking to a child, or making fun of an apprentice ****ing up at work. I don't let it ruin my day, because clearly some people aren't using it that way... But I see it constantly, and I find it annoying. [/rant]

I’m glad I’m not the only one. Really irritates the shit out of me when somebody throws a “bud” around all willy-nilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #1335
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’m glad I’m not the only one. Really irritates the shit out of me when somebody throws a “bud” around all willy-nilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We all have our thing... "bud" does not bother me that much, but honestly I'd be hard pressed to recall the last time anyone called me that. Now "Bro" I find condescending as hell. With is funny, because I call most everyone "brother", but this is a throwback to my Navy days.

Oddly enough, you call the wrong person "brother", and you get called racist, neverminding the fact you call everyone "brother"... Yup, we all have our thing.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:53 PM   #1336
I wanna be Dave

I fully realize it's me getting to be an old goat, but reading "bruh" (all OVER the freakin' interwebs) really makes me want to smack somebody.

Not a big fan of "bud", and not particularly of "brother", but it seems to depend on the context, or if it's face-to-face, on the tone and the person saying it to me.

Hell, even "man" can come off wrong if there's attitude.

That said, I'm hardly speaking to anyone these days!

Teleworking, no social life - that'll do it...

Pretty soon I'll have to move to a shack in the woods!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:17 PM   #1337
Quarry Creeper

This isn't a rant but a question. Why the is it so damn easy to fall asleep under a vehicle than in a bed??? I went to git some numbers off the side of my transmission in my 88 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up and I found myself falling asleep lol.
W1ck3d0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:15 PM   #1338
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ck3d0n3 View Post
This isn't a rant but a question. Why the is it so damn easy to fall asleep under a vehicle than in a bed??? I went to git some numbers off the side of my transmission in my 88 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up and I found myself falling asleep lol.
under a car can be a magical place that just says your comfertable there

once i was camping and it was realy hot out we dug a hole and parked our van over it and.spent most of the next few days underthere i got the idea from the dogs lol
Old 05-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #1339
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ck3d0n3 View Post
Because in the garage under my jeep, my wife isn't wrapped around me like a heat lamp trying to keep that last hot-dog alive on the rollers at 7-11. And because there's just something about that cool concrete. If I had a comfortable creeper, I'd need an alarm clock out there.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #1340
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
my wife isn't wrapped around me like a heat lamp trying to keep that last hot-dog alive on the rollers at 7-11.
That analogy made me laugh. It's too perfect.
Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rant Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Nirtorcx/Exceed Rant thread CTRC Chit Chat 3 08-09-2012 07:36 AM
just a little rant spyderwebbcustoms Chit Chat 18 12-12-2010 06:18 PM
Got to RANT 01XJ Chit Chat 26 04-17-2009 08:42 PM
[Rant] I hate Western Digital [/rant] FrankyRizzo Chit Chat 41 05-03-2007 03:29 PM
3:35 AM rant... radishkid Chit Chat 6 08-05-2006 08:30 AM