Notices

Thread: New Scale Rules Set : Radio Control Scale Association RCSA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Scale Rules Set : Radio Control Scale Association RCSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
So do comp crawlers and quit your bitching.
im not bitching, Im building, scale trucks.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

As SORRCA has gone bat shit crazy with their rules this could be a good thing.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
As SORRCA has gone bat shit crazy with their rules this could be a good thing.
That's what I thought. I was very hopeful. And then yesterday they posted that they are working with SORRCA and that ruin all my hopes.

I would prefer them to distance themselves from rather than work with SORRCA.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's what I thought. I was very hopeful. And then yesterday they posted that they are working with SORRCA and that ruin all my hopes.

I would prefer them to distance themselves from rather than work with SORRCA.
I'm actually on the fence if this is good or not. On the bad side I will worry they get too stringent or picky with their rules and become just a slightly modified class structure from the SORRCA rules. At the same time, logically speaking, now that they are working together their classes should be very different from one another with little overlap. Possibly setting up SORRCA to be the hardcore competition rules and leave the RCSA to be more loose, simpler (and IMO fun...). Now only if I could get the mog around the darn class 1 tire size rule, especially since it has factory size tires at 4.75" at 1:10 scale.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

Limiting tire size to level the playing field for a 'crawling' competition makes perfect sense. If it's just about a scale vehicle showing then all bets are off.

Anyway, I'm still not getting it - I thought they shut it all down but evidently just took down a FB page?
Understood, I know why the rule is there and quite frankly if I was that desperate to run the mog in a comp I would change it to fit the rules.

In terms of the group they talked about shutting down the page but that was adverted that night it was going to happen, then just recently they said they were now working with Sorrca. Bit of a whiplash fest with it quite frankly, just the back and forth questions their staying power/longevity to stay around.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #46
RCC Addict

I think they should have just kept their idea local and not tried to open it up to the national level, because that's where the shitstorm started. They're still gonna run their rules at their local comps and that's all that matters at the end of the day, rather than trying to seem like they were gonna compete with SORCCA or become an alternative. Anytime you try to involve people outside the group, especially on Facebook, you're just asking for it.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
And then yesterday they posted that they are working with SORRCA and that ruin all my hopes.
Well ain't that just perfect.

On the other hand keeping their classes similar to Sh!ttyOgreRuleRimmerC*untApes would mean people wouldn't have to build a different scaler for each rule set.

Anyway I'm going to claim that I have cut the shocktowers of my Gelande 1 frame and have had them welded back by a professional. Of course as she was a pro she ground the welds and painted the chassis too. I tell you they are just like new.

Now all I have to do is find some brass coloured paint to paint the axles.

PS. Apologies to any real apes reading this. No harm was intended and every one knows you are more intelligent and wise than that bunch in the rules committee.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
I'm actually on the fence if this is good or not. On the bad side I will worry they get too stringent or picky with their rules and become just a slightly modified class structure from the SORRCA rules. At the same time, logically speaking, now that they are working together their classes should be very different from one another with little overlap. Possibly setting up SORRCA to be the hardcore competition rules and leave the RCSA to be more loose, simpler (and IMO fun...). Now only if I could get the mog around the darn class 1 tire size rule, especially since it has factory size tires at 4.75" at 1:10 scale.
I agree 100%. It could go either way.

They can work with SORRCA to distance themselves and be a completely different organization or than can resort to reusing a modified version of SORRCA rules.

I really do have faith in the 3 members involved in the RSCA though so I hope it turns out for the best.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Folks are hollerin' that the RCSA rules are simpler but they are almost identical to the 2017 SORCCA rule set. I see a few tweaks and additions but look darn close. For example, C3 rules and C2.5 are almost identical to C3 and C2 2017 SORCCA. Where is the simpler part? I don't care either way, I'll build to whichever ruleset that is in my area.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Folks are hollerin' that the RCSA rules are simpler but they are almost identical to the 2017 SORCCA rule set. I see a few tweaks and additions but look darn close. For example, C3 rules and C2.5 are almost identical to C3 and C2 2017 SORCCA. Where is the simpler part? I don't care either way, I'll build to whichever ruleset that is in my area.
And I have to wonder how many people think SORCCA rules are really that "complex" that they need simplified. Seems like most of the beef here is over rules like metal frames and painting brass parts.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

First off I compete in alot of SORRCA events because it's fun but only fun if you have a competitive streak in you. .. and it is fun to build rigs that have to meet a certain standard or requirement. JUST MY OPINION!!

I realize that trail running and G6'n is also fun I do it all as much as possible. But SORRCA is the competitive side of this hobby and very similar to "W.E. ROCK" (Look it up if you don't know) and if you want to run it you must follow the guidelines.
YES THE RULES ARE DEMANDING AND EVER CHANGING. But so is the industry and innovation in that side of it.

The thing I don't understand is why so many of you invest so much time complaining about something that your not apart of???
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
And I have to wonder how many people think SORCCA rules are really that "complex" that they need simplified. Seems like most of the beef here is over rules like metal frames and painting brass parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd View Post
First off I compete in alot of SORRCA events because it's fun but only fun if you have a competitive streak in you. .. and it is fun to build rigs that have to meet a certain standard or requirement. JUST MY OPINION!!

I realize that trail running and G6'n is also fun I do it all as much as possible. But SORRCA is the competitive side of this hobby and very similar to "W.E. ROCK" (Look it up if you don't know) and if you want to run it you must follow the guidelines.
YES THE RULES ARE DEMANDING AND EVER CHANGING. But so is the industry and innovation in that side of it.

The thing I don't understand is why so many of you invest so much time complaining about something that your not apart of???
#same

I like to compete and build, so SORRCA was fine with me. I read the rules and followed them. Sure there are things I didn't agree with but I followed them because that is how I got to competitively play with toy trucks in my area. We had guys in our club that didn't like rules, so we did different events to accommodate them too. And/or they would "fun run" in the adjacent area we would comp.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Seems like most of the beef here is over rules like metal frames and painting brass parts.
Did you miss the conversation on the Facebook group?

First they said the brass had to be painted. When people asked about clear paint they said that, yes, that would technically be legal. That was laughable. What was worse when they changed the rule, shortly after releasing the new rules and saying clear paint was OK. Suddenly clear paint wasn't OK.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:

First they said the brass had to be painted. When people asked about clear paint they said that, yes, that would technically be legal. That was laughable. What was worse when they changed the rule, shortly after releasing the new rules and saying clear paint was OK. Suddenly clear paint wasn't OK.
For the sake of my sanity yes I missed a lot of conversations on that FB group.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd View Post

As is the same in almost every sporting event. Rules change every year for advancement, new features, safety, etc... Example, F1 just added these ugly arse halos to protect drivers in 2018. People didn't like it but the teams incorporated it and moved on. If you want to compete, you'll adapt to the rule set governing competition. If you don't like the rules, do compete or go find another comp.

Quote:

Which is a clear example of people trying to sidestep a rule. Whether you agree with painting the brass or not, that was the rule put in place. People obviously were looking to sidestep with clear and brass paint which would make it burdensome for the officiating crews to determine if it was painted or not. Consequently the rule had to change again...
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Sounds like a great event. Too bad there isn't one on the west coast.

Now I thought this new group got formed, put up a FB page, then posted a rant about 1% negativity and took it down? [shrug]

It never occured to me that anyone was trying to divide the hobby or it's enthusiasts. [also a shrug]

My comprehension must be horrible.
Take a look the RPP Jamboree in October. Most fun I've had crawling in a long time! And the last time I checked it is in Northern California?
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Which is a clear example of people trying to sidestep a rule. Whether you agree with painting the brass or not, that was the rule put in place. People obviously were looking to sidestep with clear and brass paint which would make it burdensome for the officiating crews to determine if it was painted or not. Consequently the rule had to change again...
People always try to find the grey area to skirt the rules. That's why rules are amended. But when the governing body says something is legal and then changes their mind it makes it look like they don't know what they're doing.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
People always try to find the grey area to skirt the rules. That's why rules are amended. But when the governing body says something is legal and then changes their mind it makes it look like they don't know what they're doing.
The biggest issue I have with sorcca is 100% in the scale points setup they use. The scale points offset ability. So rather than building a rig that is capable most just throw a bunch of "scale accessories" at it and head to the comps. Someone can have a great score and get beat by some also-ran douche with a bad score but 60 pieces of flare ziptied to his hardbody and a doll with knees behind the wheel. That is insane.

Don't drag the top down to the lowest common denominator, boost the lowest common denominator up to the more capable level. Cheater trucks break the rules, they don't abide by the letter of them like the capable rigs do.

The RCSA has a 30 point cap in the good classes which is perfect. It'll allow the hyper scale 100 point trucks to compete with the capable rigs on a more even field based on, drumroll please............. performance. Crazy, I know!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The biggest issue I have with sorcca is 100% in the scale points setup they use. The scale points offset ability. So rather than building a rig that is capable most just throw a bunch of "scale accessories" at it and head to the comps. Someone can have a great score and get beat by some also-ran douche with a bad score but 60 pieces of flare ziptied to his hardbody and a doll with knees behind the wheel. That is insane.

Don't drag the top down to the lowest common denominator, boost the lowest common denominator up to the more capable level. Cheater trucks break the rules, they don't abide by the letter of them like the capable rigs do.

The RCSA has a 30 point cap in the good classes which is perfect. It'll allow the hyper scale 100 point trucks to compete with the capable rigs on a more even field based on, drumroll please............. performance. Crazy, I know!
Exactly. Poorly 3D printed Yeti coolers shouldn't be Band-Aids for bad driving or you just turned it into a car show.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #60
RCC Addict

I'm kinda torn on the points thing. On one hand, I like it because it adds to the challenge. Now instead of just building a truck that performs well, I get to build one that performs well while looking like a real truck and has a bunch of unnecessary weight added in stupid places. That's more challenging and makes you a better driver. On the other hand, the truck would do better without all that crap in stupid places and I like performance.

IMO SORRCA kinda went a bit overboard this year with the C1 chassis rules and the whole brass thing. If these 2 associations are talking this out and end up with one common set of rules, surely it will be a bit more "watered down" than the 2018 SORRCA rules.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
even gayer than sorcca

New Scale Rules Set : Radio Control Scale Association RCSA - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Control Crawling Association Vehicle Definitions and Judging JohnRobHolmes WRCCA Rules 45 06-09-2018 12:02 AM
Scale 4x4 R/C Official Club Association speedemall Maryland 2 03-03-2009 02:26 PM
Arizona Radio Control Rock Crawler Association Crawlerdude75 Chit Chat 48 07-08-2007 12:07 AM
NARRCA (northern arizona radio control crawlers association rockwerks Chit Chat 2 08-08-2006 08:08 AM